• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Lol what.
I now have to press different buttons for different zoom?

Zooming in with the sniper rifle to max range requires two button presses. Just like it has since Halo: CE.

There are control schemes to support players who want to maintain right stick click to zoom.

the halo 5 thing from Halo fest made me laugh.

people didnt like sprint, so we ignored them.

if people HAVE to use ADS then we broke the game.

So instead of pressing one button twice, we press two separate buttons... and ffs the default control scheme shows who you are really trying to appeal to.

b-b-b-but halo needs to evolve
In all honesty I can understand this. I mean Bungie added new shit with every game.

I just think the Halo way to do things is to innovate and not follow the crowd.

Bungie changed shooters with the early Halo's. Why is it always Halo following nowadays? Just because Halo ain't the king anymore? That's lame.

Only way Halo is ever gonna be king again is if it innovates, and I'm not talking copying control schemes from 2007 military shooter games either.

Zooming in with the sniper rifle to max range requires two button presses. Just like it has since Halo: CE.

There are control schemes to support players who want to maintain right stick click to zoom.

That's comforting.

However, the fact that this control scheme is now default makes me sad. Not trying to disrespect the work you're doing, David, as I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and everyone at 343. But this is all incredibly disappointing for me.

IHaveIce

Banned

That is what I wanted to hear, and I know that it required 2 button presses, but having it on different buttons is just weird.

Sephzilla

In all honesty I can understand this. I mean Bungie added new shit with every game.

I just think the Halo way to do things is to innovate and not follow the crowd.

Bungie changed shooters with the early Halo's. Why is it always Halo following nowadays? Just because Halo ain't the king anymore? That's lame.

Only way Halo is ever gonna be king again is if it innovates, and I'm not talking copying control schemes from 2007 military shooter games either.

They added but they didn't shake up how the core gameplay and controls handled.

That's comforting.

However, the fact that this control scheme is now default makes me sad. Not trying to disrespect the work you're doing, David, as I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and everyone at 343. But this is all incredibly disappointing for me.

At least there is a control scheme for us old heads. Newbies jumping in will feel right at home. It's not that difficult to change your controls, Lord knows I adjust nine with every new game.

Outplayed by movement + a lucky grenade kill. Awesome moment!

9iMYnil.gif

Dat recoil ...

Our Space UAV is online!

Covenant AC-130,000,000 inbound!

The announcer says weapons are inboud in like super yelling

They added but they didn't shake up how the core gameplay and controls handled.
Halo 2 changed the utility weapons and added dual wielding. And Halo 3 had a BR that shoots very differently from Halo 2, leading shots was the new way to shoot for that gun.

Bungie most definitely changed the core gameplay up. But it was always Halo with how they did it.

Korosenai

Wait,
he's dead? I thought he just took a Bullshot to the helmet, said "fuck you", and left. No way is he dead.

EDIT:
He was "contained". He could be put into a super badass Promethean Battle armor if he still lives through "code".
im just upset that all of this happened in a comic book. but at least he's still a live in a way. Would be cool to see both didacts in one game since I think the other didact is alive as well possibly.

Sephzilla

Halo 2 changed the utility weapons and added dual wielding. And Halo 3 had a BR that shoots very differently from Halo 2, leading shots was the new way to shoot for that gun.

Bungie most definitely changed the core gameplay up. But it was always Halo with how they did it.

I think we're on the same mindset, just kind of wording it differently. Bungie more or less kept refining Halo's gameplay while making additions (dual wielding, equipment).

willow ve

Is there such a thing as crouch jumping anymore? Can you even crouch in mid air (without activating ground pound?)

Impala26

At least there is a control scheme for us old heads. Newbies jumping in will feel right at home. It's not that difficult to change your controls, Lord knows I adjust nine with every new game.

I do this with pretty much EVERY new game I play, shooter or not, so having to change back to a more "legacy" control scheme doesn't bug me in the slightest. I always like to see if a game has a better, more convenient control scheme than the default.

REALLY was fairly pissed that Destiny didn't have a Halo-ish control scheme though... WTF BUNGIE...

I think we're on the same mindset, just kind of wording it differently. Bungie more or less kept refining Halo's gameplay while making additions (dual wielding, equipment).
Ah my mistake, I thought you were saying something else. My apologies.

I understand what you're saying, man, I truly do. But it doesn't change the way I feel.
Ads sucks, yea I agree. And if the two button zoom can be changed by a simple settings adjustment then it's not really that big of a deal I guess.

Pretty obvious ADS is here to stay with its other unwanted guest. Sprint.

All the people complaining about Halo1-3s lack of sprint are gonna win out everytime over us, who like the old Halo even nowadays. I found it odd that the first time jumping into MCC, my friends kept saying "shit I keep forgetting you can't sprint" whereas I didn't try to sprint. Not saying ooh I'm better, but I play less modern shooters than them so its just down to muscle memory.

Facts are sprint and ADS aren't going anywhere.

Haruko

I thought it sounded really weird. Not bad, just weird. Completely different to what else he says.

He almost purrs it.

Reminds me of the CE "Running Riot".

Nothing tops the throaty CE "KILLING SPREE" though.

CE Steitzer sounds like a crazy motherf****r, but keeps it simple. How it should be.

"Refining" suggests they improved gameplay and removed unwanted elements, which is the complete opposite to what they did IMO.
YES. I was shocked to actually like something coming out of the new Steitzer's mouth, haha.
I wish more people were making note of this in their posts, but it seems no one cares enough about the little things (which do go a long way for people, whether they know it or not (ie: COG's vs Locusts in Gears and hearing the different grunts)).
I thought it sounded really weird. Not bad, just weird. Completely different to what else he says.

He almost purrs it.
Yup, and it sounds great.

Sephzilla

its cool :) i'm well aware that sometimes i make epic fuck ups when trying to explain what's in my head

"Refining" suggests they improved gameplay and removed unwanted elements, which is the complete opposite to what they did IMO.

they removed the broken pistol, so i think refining is exactly what they did

;)

Ads sucks, yea I agree. And if the two button zoom can be changed by a simple settings adjustment then it's not really that big of a deal I guess.

Pretty obvious ADS is here to stay with its other unwanted guest. Sprint.

All the people complaining about Halo1-3s lack of sprint are gonna win out everytime over us, who like the old Halo even nowadays. I found it odd that the first time jumping into MCC, my friends kept saying "shit I keep forgetting you can't sprint" whereas I didn't try to sprint. Not saying ooh I'm better, but I play less modern shooters than them so its just down to muscle memory.

Facts are sprint and ADS aren't going anywhere.

Of course they arent going anywhere. 343 for some reason, NEEDS to change shit to appeal to the modern shooter fans who will leave this game after a few days.

they are about day one sales and seems like nothing else, if Halo 4 is any indication.

So, I ended up making a vector of the XBO controller based on Greenskull's control configuration video because reasons and thought we could do control schemes the way HaloGAF did back during 3:

i2Y1vmV1D6BQM.png

Template:

ibm9XmFu4X0fZh.png

jem0208

Yup, and it sounds great.
After hearing it again it's grown on me.

I don't really like how he announces so many medals though. Do we really need him to shout out "Comeback Kill!"? And on that point do we really need a comeback kill medal? Just reminds the player that they suck.

I think stuff like killing sprees and double kills etc deserve an announcement. However the superfluous stuff like comeback kill and last shot are just a bit annoying and are unneeded clutter.

/salt

That said I do like some of the new medals. Top Gun, Perfect, Hat Trick and Cluster Luck are pretty cool.

/slrp
With about a year left on developement, I think the lighting effects are already looking pretty awesome.

b43b1NX.gif
The game does look pretty damn good. Especially considering it's a beta.

With about a year left on developement, I think the lighting effects are already looking pretty awesome.

b43b1NX.gif

The lighting is fantastic. 343 has that down pat.

So, I ended up making a vector of the XBO controller based on Greenskull's control configuration video because reasons and thought we could do control schemes the way HaloGAF did back during 3:

i2Y1vmV1D6BQM.png

Template:

ibm9XmFu4X0fZh.png

You are a goddamn hero.

Do we really need him to shout out "Comeback Kill!"? And on that point do we really need a comeback kill medal? Just reminds the player that they suck.
Whenever I get this medal I tell myself to stop dying and playing like a scrub, so it helps bring a level of reality to your poor movement/gameplay IMO. Should be "Hey a-hole, stop playing like a jerk and actually help your team. You know, like we said before this match started.. 'Control power weapons to dominate the enemy team!' Newb."

It would play out much better if it was released as one film. Another complaint is the actors try to hard to explain whats going on in the dialog. Its very noticeable. Especially the cloak scene.

It will be, just like FUD was later on. They'll probably integrate the Second Stories into it somehow as well.

Whenever I get this medal I tell myself to stop dying and playing like a scrub, so it helps bring a level of reality to your poor movement/gameplay IMO.
Agree entirely. Makes you pull your head out of your ass. Long gone are the Halo 2 matches where I'm not paying attention or texting or some shit and then the postgame shows me I had like 20 deaths.

Great medal addition I thought

I don't really like how he announces so many medals though. Do we really need him to shout out "Comeback Kill!"? And on that point do we really need a comeback kill medal? Just reminds the player that they suck.

they need more medals to remind people that they make mistakes. like a butterfingers medal for missing a Clamber.

or a Feed medal for dying the most in the game.

or just stop trying to reward people for shit that doesnt need to be rewarded. get a normal kill, doesnt need a medal. like that is insulting to the player's intelligence

Whenever I get this medal I tell myself to stop dying and playing like a scrub, so it helps bring a level of reality to your poor movement/gameplay IMO. Should be "Hey a-hole, stop playing like a jerk and actually help your team. You know, like we said before this match started.. 'Control power weapons to dominate the enemy team!' Newb."

Agree entirely. Makes you pull your head out of your ass. Long gone are the Halo 2 matches where I'm not paying attention or texting or some shit and then the postgame shows me I had like 20 deaths.

Great medal addition I thought

Put me in this camp as well. I think there's plenty of medals that are a bit much, but Comeback is a fantastic edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom