• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Tunavi

Banned
finally beat halo 1, 2, 3. Super fun. GTA V as well, game was great. MCC community is dead and I dont feel like having a $400 halo box at the moment.

gonna try to sell the bone and just stick to my 360/3DS backlog and replay my favorites for a while. Maybe even getting a WiiU.

Akai__

Was watching Mr Monopoli the other day and some guy brought up the fun-maps/gametypes Halo 3 had. I kinda miss playing those with a party. Halo really needs a Custom Game Browser.

Also, I miss the Halo 3 File Share guys.

willow ve

From the update
Last week, Team Snipers replaced SWAT as the featured playlist, and we expanded Rumble Pit to add Halo 3 and Halo 4. Many of you have asked why SWAT nor Team Snipers have Halo 3 variants included, and this is due to a Halo 3-specific issue regarding non-default map variants that we’re working to fix. Once resolved, custom map variants (tournament maps, maps with specific on-map weapons, Forge maps, etc.) will be included into permanent and featured playlists.

Does this mean they're working on updating all Halo 3 maps to be what they were at the end of matchmaking? Please!?

BokehKing

Banned
People don't like to feel challenged or the reality of being shit on the first time they play. They want to all powerful which is why people apparently like sprint and AAs. And/or they are just not very good.
That's not the case, the world has moved on (aka, like it or not, the people who are the target audience that will bring in the money for more sequels)

Sprint is additional short burst of speed, it doesn't change the game, lack of confidence in pursuing, creating a new challenge for the people camping portions of the map seem to be the problem (I know, that statement sounds as ludicrous as you saying "people don't like being challenged")

ADS... Is optional, people say it breaks immersion, well stop caring about other people being at a disadvantage, no one is forcing you to ADS. But not having it in the game, after the world moved on? Dumb

And don't bring up counter strike because console players are not playing that game, they are playing far cry, COD, Destiny, wolfenstein, ect ect

willow ve

That's not the case, the world has moved on (aka, like it or not, the people who are the target audience that will bring in the money for more sequels)

Sprint is additional short burst of speed, it doesn't change the game, lack of confidence in pursuing, creating a new challenge for the people camping portions of the map seem to be the problem (I know, that statement sounds as ludicrous as you saying "people don't like being challenged")

ADS... Is optional, people say it breaks immersion, well stop caring about other people being at a disadvantage, no one is forcing you to ADS. But not having it in the game, after the world moved on? Dumb

And don't bring up counter strike because console players are not playing that game, they are playing far cry, COD, Destiny, wolfenstein, ect ect

Sprint fundamentally changes the way maps are designed and the flow of combat. Full stop.

ADS is not optional, at all. It is a required mechanic if you want to win a shootout. The game (and the mechanics of ADS on left trigger) are literally forcing you to shoot with ADS if you want to win.

finally beat halo 1, 2, 3. Super fun. GTA V as well, game was great. MCC community is dead and I dont feel like having a $400 halo box at the moment.

gonna try to sell the bone and just stick to my 360/3DS backlog and replay my favorites for a while. Maybe even getting a WiiU.
Halo 5?

Mix

Most people are doing this right now. Selling their Xones and buying other consoles only to pick it back up later on. I had a ton of friends do this when the ps3 came out with their early 360s. After Halo 3 released everyone came back.

He'll be back. They always come back.

dwells

Bulletin: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-community-update-2-18-15

Still no date for the patch.

They really are doing a sale this weekend for a broken game. That's just...
Borderline fraudulent. They're knowingly promoting and selling a broken product which doesn't deliver on its advertised promises.

Stay classy.

Needler packaging art.
Three things:
  1. I'm disappointed it's not actually Nerf.
  2. Those darts in the top better actually get fed in and not just be an extra ammo holder.
  3. The "Reclaimer" logo makes me sad each time I see it. Marathon logo plz.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I'm specifically talking about FPS. I don't know why this is the case. I also think 343 just completely ignores or is ignorant to the fact that competitive games/HARD games are extremely popular now. They are so far behind and trying to play catch up. The most popular games right now are Mobas, CSGO, Survival games, and various Blizzard games. ALL which are very difficult to get good at. Meanwhile, Halo wants to hold your hand and pat you on the back every time you do something good.

Seems the consoles are still looked down on by the industry. Console players are still in that stereotype of noobs while the PC crowd is still considered the master race.

I play on both platforms, I enjoy PC gaming just as much as console gaming, but I cannot for the life of me stand the constant watering/dumbing down of FPS games on consoles.

I shouldn't have to resort to playing PC shooters to get a decent competitive FPS.

Another issue I think is the updating saga on consoles. Valve cannot stand how the patching process works on Xbox...thus why Orange Box's Team Fortress 2 never got patched and will never get patched to what it is today on PC. Likewise, we'll probably never see the highly popular MOBAs on consoles because the patching process is so time-consuming and costing to the developer...they probably figure why waste the resources and money on consoles when they can do everything for much cheaper on PCs.

Makes me wonder how much the MCC patching is costing them.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Whatever the going rate is for two part time entry-level employees and an intern is, I imagine.

I remember back during the COD4 beta, Infinity Ward's vice president, I can't remember his name, I don't think it was Jason West, but anyway...I was luckily in a game with him during the beta on the same team and we got to chatting.

I asked him about post-launch support and if they will continue to patch the game after release and he said most definitely but that it will probably only be one big patch because they're $10-20K a pop.

Welfare

I remember back during the COD4 beta, Infinity Ward's vice president, I can't remember his name, I don't think it was Jason West, but anyway...I was luckily in a game with him during the beta on the same team and we got to chatting.

I asked him about post-launch support and if they will continue to patch the game after release and he said most definitely but that it will probably only be one big patch because they're $10-20K a pop.

Pretty sure MS got rid of the huge money requirement for patches.

But if they didn't, last I heard was them being $40k a patch.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Pretty sure MS got rid of the huge money requirement for patches.

But if they didn't, last I heard was them being $40k a patch.

Dayummmmmm!

I have a feeling that after this MCC patch...the likelihood of continued patching is going to be much less frequent, if any at all. MSFT is probably going to view the game as playable and nothing game-breaking, even if matchmaking takes longer than normal, or ranked-matchmaking doesn't work correctly, they're going to view it as playable and time to move on. Just my gut feeling.

Blizzard and Valve are probably the two best companies that continually support their games with title updates.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
MS making 40k off every 343 patch? That's good business imo

Probably docking it from 343's salaries ;)

$40K is extreme. I'm guessing they're charging for their certification personnel's time on each title update request. Then I'm guessing they're charging for the bandwith usage for when it goes live?

Just seems ridiculous, and a game's budget probably doesn't allocate that much for post-launch support, thus why we have day-one DLC packs for sale.

Impala26

Borderline fraudulent. They're knowingly promoting and selling a broken product which doesn't deliver on its advertised promises.

Stay classy.

I know you love to shit all over 343i, and in certain cases I'd say you're justified in doing so, but not here. This one would be on MS's hands. 343i never communicated that a patch was due this week and it's obvious that MS is in close contact with them as well. Given all that knowledge, MS management went ahead anyway with the weekend sale for the MCC.

Still sucks obviously though :-(

Probably docking it from 343's salaries ;)

$40K is extreme. I'm guessing they're charging for their certification personnel's time on each title update request. Then I'm guessing they're charging for the bandwith usage for when it goes live?

Just seems ridiculous, and a game's budget probably doesn't allocate that much for post-launch support, thus why we have day-one DLC packs for sale.

If these figures are close to true about the distribution fees for patches/updates, it's absolutely no wonder at all why Day-One DLC packs are so commonplace these days. It also makes sense why DLC for most games is so packaged/bundled in terms of individual content therein--that's probably precisely why Valve said "eff-it" to keeping TF2 updated on the 360 because they've tended to simply roll small updates and small content streams frequently.

Tawpgun

I think you are mistaking the Tawp junior wave with the core of the Halo 3 GAF, go to any of those threads, hardly anyone in there posts here for the past few years.

best junior wave named after me? I accept.

Hi Tuna.

Bye Tuna.

I don't really ignore people but I think ProvenDeadly might be my first. All he does is come in to Halo threads, make a snarky comment on how bad 343 is, leaves and comes back in a few posts to do the same.

Criticizing, hell even ripping on 343 a little is fine. But it's like Team Downer x10 but without it being funny.

willow ve

best junior wave named after me? I accept.

Hi Tuna.

Bye Tuna.

I don't really ignore people but I think ProvenDeadly might be my first. All he does is come in to Halo threads, make a snarky comment on how bad 343 is, leaves and comes back in a few posts to do the same.

Criticizing, hell even ripping on 343 a little is fine. But it's like Team Downer x10 but without it being funny.

Team downer needs their natural leader back. We miss our Jelyk

Welfare

If these figures are close to true about the distribution fees for patches/updates, it's absolutely no wonder at all why Day-One DLC packs are so commonplace these days. It also makes sense why DLC for most games is so packaged/bundled in terms of individual content therein--that's probably precisely why Valve said "eff-it" to keeping TF2 updated on the 360 because they've tended to simply roll small updates and small content streams frequently.

That is exactly why Valve basically said "screw you" to Xbox.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I know you love to shit all over 343i, and in certain cases I'd say you're justified in doing so, but not here. This one would be on MS's hands. 343i never communicated that a patch was due this week and it's obvious that MS is in close contact with them as well. Given all that knowledge, MS management went ahead anyway with the weekend sale for the MCC.

I wish Xbox was more flexible with developers, Valve practically has no presence anymore on consoles. Even with Blizzard, Diablo 3 for Xbox One is probably not going to receive the updates that the PC gets so frequently. Hell, seasons aren't even on console versions of Diablo 3 because Blizzard claims it's to do with the "not always online" component of the consoles vs the PC, you don't have to be connected to the net to play D3 on consoles, but it's required on PC.

So all the epic loots and items in PC Diablo 3 aren't on the console versions...

FyreWulff

Sony and MS charged you out the nose on the 360 and PS3. Which is why a lot of games were left alone even with bugs because the devs didn't have enough money to push a patch through cert and were waiting for anything critical to pop up to spend money on.

They also charged to cert DLC, which made Harmonix particularly insane because Sony/MS considered both individual songs and song packs as separate DLC, so they had to pay twice the cert costs just to let people buy both singles and packs....

What changed it? Nintendo announced to devs that the Wii U wasn't charging for patches and wasn't charging for DLC even before the system came out. Obviously not wanting to end up in a situation where the Nintendo version of a game got a patch and the PS/Xbox version didn't, Sony and MS finally relented. Yay, competition!

edit: also, generally you were only allowed one free DLC item per title on PS3/360/Wii, so a lot of devs burned their free DLC slot on using it as a patch/expanding the game's content.

dwells

It's not so much that I love to crap on 343 as it is that I think it's important to call out all the nonsense that has occurred. That said, my post was mostly targeted at Microsoft - I'm not a huge fan of how they treat consumers, either.

However, I was also under the impression that developers have some say regarding these types of sales/promotion events.

FyreWulff

I want to know what changed around 2011, and why companies were allowed to have patches larger than 4mb.

SDK update. Originally you were limited to 4MB to accomodate the smallest memory card the 360 shipped with (64MB, I think?) and they were always temporary. You also had to run the patch in RAM, and due to that size limit you couldn't pack much real data into it..

Then the 360 memory card was basically made obsolete with flash drive compatibility, and ensuing competition against the PS3 (which never had patch size limits afiak). They updated everything to accomodate permanent patches in the SDK, and at the same time those permanent patches could be any size. Rock Band 3 was the first retail title to support it with a 30MB day 1 patch.

Reach was made with the older SDK, and therefore was limited to 4MB, and therefore limited the patching options. Halo 4 used the newer SDK, had no limits, and therefore had less limitations with it's TUs (so armor, etc)

Tawpgun

I want to know what idiot thought charging that amount of money for a patch was a good idea.

Why not make it easier to make better, bug free, games? Why not make it easier to add awesome stuff into a game if you want.

Consoles need to have some kind of parity with PC. I know console companies are scared of mods, but at least let devs update with the same frequency they can on PC.

Karl2177

I want to know what idiot thought charging that amount of money for a patch was a good idea.

Why not make it easier to make better, bug free, games? Why not make it easier to add awesome stuff into a game if you want.

Consoles need to have some kind of parity with PC. I know console companies are scared of mods, but at least let devs update with the same frequency they can on PC.

You have to have your console manufacturer test it as well.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Sony and MS charged you out the nose on the 360 and PS3. Which is why a lot of games were left alone even with bugs because the devs didn't have enough money to push a patch through cert and were waiting for anything critical to pop up to spend money on.

They also charged to cert DLC, which made Harmonix particularly insane because Sony/MS considered both individual songs and song packs as separate DLC, so they had to pay twice the cert costs just to let people buy both singles and packs....

What changed it? Nintendo announced to devs that the Wii U wasn't charging for patches and wasn't charging for DLC even before the system came out. Obviously not wanting to end up in a situation where the Nintendo version of a game got a patch and the PS/Xbox version didn't, Sony and MS finally relented. Yay, competition!

edit: also, generally you were only allowed one free DLC item per title on PS3/360/Wii, so a lot of devs burned their free DLC slot on using it as a patch/expanding the game's content.

That's all kinds of messed up.

No wonder we get half-assed crappy games that can't ever seem to get fixed.

SaganIsGOAT

Man that cock block 343 pulled on Halo 4. Dudact and Co are leaving Requirm and they arrive at a NEW Halo we haven't been to in game. Oh shit the Composer is on the Halo! We may get a few levels on a new Halo! No! Composer isn't on the Halo, it's on this tiny, shitty, human themed space station tucked in an asteroid. Sweet baby Jesus breaks my heart to this day.

That said, Composer is a cool level.

Some birdies told me he got promoted. Lead of external development or something like this.

Edit: if we are talking about Ayoub

Haha wouldn't that be something. Promoted after releasing the MCC, the biggest pile of gaming shit in recent memory.

Is that a good tactic? Should I go crash my company's truck into the side of the building and then ask for a promotion?

Impala26

Haha wouldn't that be something. Promoted after releasing the MCC, the biggest pile of gaming shit in recent memory.

Is that a good tactic? Should I go crash my company's truck into the side of the building and then ask for a promotion?

As long as you said that you crashed the truck after coming back from inking a lucrative deal/contract with a client for your company, then by all means go ahead.
:p

You know what, whilst we're all impatient, I'm all for 343 making sure this patch works. If it's as significant a change from the systems they were using previously, this overhaul needs to be airtight.

Because if it's not, there will be no way to salvage the game.

Of course, we can't say for sure if this patch will "save" the game, but they know it has to be a earth-moving patch at this point.

Haruko

like MS game studio tests it right?

I get that but paying tens of thousands of dollars because you want to fix a bug that is already fixed in the internal studio tests is silly to me.

Usually the manuf's round of testing isn't whether the in-game bug was patched; they are more testing whether or not the deployment of the patch causes any issues with the infrastructure of Live, or has issues with certain hardware configurations

I agree that the old price was probably way too high, but I understand why it cost something

SaganIsGOAT

Pretty sure I have the Halo 5 plot nailed down.

Basically the end of Halo 4 tells us all we need to know.

-Chief has his evolution sped up by the Librarian
-Cortana begs Chief to never tell of how bad she got

Here's what is going to go down. ONI is gonna question him. "Hey, why did you let the Didact escape Requiem? Why did you crash your ship into Ivanoff Station?" etc etc. He can't and wont blame them on Cortana. Then he will have to answer to his disobeying of Del Rio's orders and stealing a Pelican. And the big kicker, why was Chief able to survive the Composer?

ONI gives Chief 2 options.
1. They pronounce him MIA after the explosion of Didacts Ship and basically tell him he will be remembered as the greatest Spartan who ever lived. They will then tell him that donating his 50 year old body to science would benefit all of Humanity as Chief now holds the evolutionary keys and immunization to the Composer key.

2. They take him to military court for his actions against Del Rio, stolen Pelican etc and his punishment will be death. In which case ONI will still get to do their research. It's Chief's call on how he will be remembered.

Chief has only one option, to run.

ONI needs Chief's body back, and functioning when it gets there. Chief has become ONI's prey. The hunter? Locke. Experience both sides of the story as both hunter and hunted.

Damn son that gonna be cray.

Fuchsdh

Pretty sure I have the Halo 5 plot nailed down.

Basically the end of Halo 4 tells us all we need to know.

-Chief has his evolution sped up by the Librarian
-Cortana begs Chief to never tell of how bad she got

Here's what is going to go down. ONI is gonna question him. "Hey, why did you let the Didact escape Requiem? Why did you crash your ship into Ivanoff Station?" etc etc. He can't and wont blame them on Cortana. Then he will have to answer to his disobeying of Del Rio's orders and stealing a Pelican. And the big kicker, why was Chief able to survive the Composer?

ONI gives Chief 2 options.
1. They pronounce him MIA after the explosion of Didacts Ship and basically tell him he will be remembered as the greatest Spartan who ever lived. They will then tell him that donating his 50 year old body to science would benefit all of Humanity as Chief now holds the evolutionary keys and immunization to the Composer key.

2. They take him to military court for his actions against Del Rio, stolen Pelican etc and his punishment will be death. In which case ONI will still get to do their research. It's Chief's call on how he will be remembered.

Chief has only one option, to run.

ONI needs Chief's body back, and functioning when it gets there. Chief has become ONI's prey. The hunter? Locke. Experience both sides of the story as both hunter and hunted.

Damn son that gonna be cray.

I don't think Chief is going to be compelled to run. His reception post Halo 4 as shown in the comics is warm and he's still on active duty. It's pretty clear the brass is on Chief's side—after all they sacked Del Rio for leaving him behind. ONI might have its own reasons for hunting him down, but I think it's more likely Chief goes AWOL of his own volition.

jem0208

I don't think Chief is going to be compelled to run. His reception post Halo 4 as shown in the comics is warm and he's still on active duty. It's pretty clear the brass is on Chief's side—after all they sacked Del Rio for leaving him behind. ONI might have its own reasons for hunting him down, but I think it's more likely Chief goes AWOL of his own volition.

Either way having the Chief disappear and Locke hunting him down is a really interesting setup. I have a feeling we're in for a very good campaign.

Top Bottom