• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

dwells

I just don't understand how doing a sale and promotion for a broken game is a good business move. Is Microsoft just that greedy and that unconcerned with consumer satisfaction?

I really don't get it - logic would dictate that it's not a great idea to do something ing something that raises awareness about how your flagship title is still horribly broken after 100 days and still being sold rather than recalled.

Madness

?

"@Deck13_de

Regarding the Xbox Ultimate Game Sale. It was suposed to be in there, it also seems it was for a few hours and then got pulled. No info yet!"

That's from the developer of Lords of the Fallen. Plus, they've now changed the MCC price from 60% for Gold users to 40% off. So instead of $24 this weekend, it'll now be $36

TTUVAPOR

Banned
?

"@Deck13_de

Regarding the Xbox Ultimate Game Sale. It was suposed to be in there, it also seems it was for a few hours and then got pulled. No info yet!"

That's from the developer of Lords of the Fallen. Plus, they've now changed the MCC price from 60% for Gold users to 40% off. So instead of $24 this weekend, it'll now be $36

They probably miscalculated the hours billed for the 343 guys working on the patches...so they had to increase the cost of the game on sale to compensate for it.

jelly

They probably miscalculated the hours billed for the 343 guys working on the patches...so they had to increase the cost of the game on sale to compensate for it.

:D

If we sell it too cheap, people will think Halo isn't a quality product. Phil, you can't see the ship any more.

Glass

Had the game quit to dashboard twice today inbetween loading missions, never happened to me before. O mcc you so crazy.

Fuchsdh

How does everyone rate the MCC UI and is Reach still the UI to beat?

The UI works well for the most part with the trees of options, but what grinds my gears is that you can't skip options in campaign or multiplayer screens—you have to go through the map, game type, traits, *then* over to start the actual game.

That, and there's no way to back out after a completed campaign mission without it trying to start the next one.

Akai__

The UI works well for the most part with the trees of options, but what grinds my gears is that you can't skip options in campaign or multiplayer screens—you have to go through the map, game type, traits, *then* over to start the actual game.

That, and there's no way to back out after a completed campaign mission without it trying to start the next one.

Agree with everything.

Also, why on earth is there a delay between button presses and transitions? If I press RB, to switch to the next sub-menu, it should switch the same second. Instead, you can spam RB like 20 times, until it switches and accepts your button input. I hate horizontal based UI's, because of this...

Still prefer the Halo 3 UI in terms of everything. I don't remember when I checked a File Share from somebody the last time. Don't even check post game stats, because since Halo Reach the top medal tab is not even working. Got a Running Riot? Too bad for you, because your top medal is a Melee Kill.

They should just copy the Halo 3 UI, make some visual improvements and add the Active Roster on top of it.

In the options sub menu, you can't even hit LB to go all the way to the right if you are on the first tile. So you have to wait like 5 seconds just to get from one side to the other.

Exactly, it's just dumb.

Welfare

Agree with everything.

Also, why on earth is there a delay between button presses and transitions? If I press RB, to switch to the next sub-menu, it should switch the same second. Instead, you can spam RB like 20 times, until it switches and accepts your button input. I hate horizontal based UI's, because of this...

In the options sub menu, you can't even hit LB to go all the way to the right if you are on the first tile. So you have to wait like 5 seconds just to get from one side to the other.

jem0208

Agree with everything.

I'm not saying the UI is good, it's serviceable at best. However I've never seen this before. I've seen delays when transitioning between different areas of the UI but they were patched out pretty quickly. Never seen any delay when using the bumpers. Or I've just never noticed it.

That said there is a lot of stuff they had to cram in there so the effort was pretty reasonable.

UI seemed good (if not particularly pretty) at first, but both the technical issues as well as local coop confusion make it seem not quite fully formed / thought out.

Fuchsdh

Oh, also a minor annoyance is the fact that there's no way to just go all the way back up in the tree without having to backtrack.

I dunno why they don't use bumpers for a different control scheme than the DPAD/analog sticks; Halo 4 had the same redundancy, so either it's just bad design, or it's something where a significant portion of players get confused by it or something, and then want everything to be navigable in the same way.

And yeah, the active roster doesn't quite seem fully formed, but I think part of that is just due to the other matching and general bugs.

jem0208

Oh, also a minor annoyance is the fact that there's no way to just go all the way back up in the tree without having to backtrack.

I dunno why they don't use bumpers for a different control scheme than the DPAD/analog sticks; Halo 4 had the same redundancy, so either it's just bad design, or it's something where a significant portion of players get confused by it or something, and then want everything to be navigable in the same way.

And yeah, the active roster doesn't quite seem fully formed, but I think part of that is just due to the other matching and general bugs.

Can't you hit the back or the view button or whatever its called and it will jump you back a stage?

Nebula

kcMT8mu.png

How's Halo guys?

BokehKing

Banned
So outside of trying to play MCC at a friend's, have not played halo heavy since halo 3, just got MCC (Half off, half functioning)

Question 1 - if I started the download 3 hours ago, and I'm at 50% install, does that include the 20 gig MP patch?
1A) is that about average to have about that much downloaded or is my Xbox moving slow

Question 2- I know what will happen, I'll flash back to my youth with halo 1 campaign, I'll play 2 and then... I'm going to want to read books, where is the best place to start

Thank You

I know i'm late but it's nice to see 343 adding certain features based on feedback from the halo 5 beta. I did not expect an option for no sprint in customs and the chat feature on/off option among others things.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152953706&postcount=20

Interesting to see the reviews of the MCC prior to release

Especially Game Informer's

None of it is crammed or hastily included

DId they play MCC's Halo 3?

Also, played MCC splitscreen for the first time today. Whole new host of issues. Firstly, the playlist logic lacks coherence. I was on a guest account and we could enter the H2:A TS list, which is ranked. Guests by their very nature cannot be trueskill tabulated and therefore have no business in a playlist where a players' trueskill value is crucial to know in order to rank and match correctly. However, we couldn't enter the non-ranked, social rumble pit playlist because it has a max party size of 1. Senseless.

Other splitscreen problems: H2:C's HUD scaling is ATROCIOUS. Everything is magnified to the point that the BR is a stump and the reticle is squished into the screen. H3 has two giant black borders on the sides of the screen suffocating the screenspace to 4:3.

Team Slayer playlist started ok; then we had back to back to back uneven teams. 4v3, 5v2 (where I was separated from my splitscreener so we were on opposite teams on the same screen), and 3v4.

Also, no configuration for a BR start exists for Halo 3 in the Rumble Pit playlist. Please fix that.

Nebula

Speaking of crushing black borders. I played H3 around a friends on the weekend and it was an absolute blast. Running social slayer is awesome.

On 360, and we got games on it faster at 700-800 population overall (if the counter is even right) then I ever did on MCC.

HTupolev

Other splitscreen problems: H2:C's HUD scaling is ATROCIOUS. Everything is magnified to the point that the BR is a stump and the reticle is squished into the screen.
I don't have a second XB1 controller, but this is what Halo 2's split-screen setups look like in the original:

(4:3 full, 8:3 split, 16:9 full, 8:9 split)

AhEdr.png

H3 has two giant black borders on the sides of the screen suffocating the screenspace to 4:3.
It's always been that way. The only Halo games that ever had a full-screen split for 16:9 are Halo 2 and the CEA variants of Halo 1. (And annoyingly, the FoVs for these modes have never stacked up to the 4:3 options. Halo 2's side-by-side split is an absolute joke, CEA on 360 was pitiful compared with the split-screen view on oXbox, and even the "fixed" FoV in MCC has a smaller vertical viewing angle than the original.)

On 360, and we got games on it faster at 700-800 population overall (if the counter is even right) then I ever did on MCC.
And with superior audio, luminance settings, and game settings to boot!

Speaking of crushing black borders. I played H3 around a friends on the weekend and it was an absolute blast. Running social slayer is awesome.

no snapping TV, using an XBO controller or using the Narrows betrayal glitch to force teammates to the other side, no sell

It's always been that way. The only Halo games that ever had a full-screen split for 16:9 are Halo 2 and the CEA variants of Halo 1. (And annoyingly, the FoVs for these modes have never stacked up to the 4:3 options. Halo 2's side-by-side split is an absolute joke, CEA on 360 was pitiful compared with the split-screen view on oXbox, and even the "fixed" FoV in MCC has a smaller vertical viewing angle than the original

You're right though Halo 3 did have full 16:9 split screen albeit only on a scart tube TV. Once I went to a HD TV only the black bar 4:3 was available. Even though split screen is a relatively small issue, I see enough guests in MCC that it would have been nice if they changed the split aspect ratios.

Also, no configuration for a BR start exists for Halo 3 in the Rumble Pit playlist. Please fix that.

barely in BR types in rumble pit

AND WHY IS IT STILL 8-10, supposed to be 6-8 players

I prefer 6 people over 8 (8 already feels like a cluster fuck on some maps and it's just nades and clean up crews) anything over that gives me a headache

singhr1

Buy Bloodborne and play that instead of Halo. Souls games don't underestimate your ability to learn and play a game, so put the time in, fail and learn, and you should start to love it.

You've gonna advise him to buy and play a game that only few people have played and is yet to release?
I like the souls games but don't say Bloodborne is a great game just yet.

Reclaimer Recap 3 just dropped, done by yours truly. Also introduces a new segment called Conjecture Coda done at the end of Recaps where we take a handful of speculation from various Halo communities around the news elements we cover - GAF makes a handful of appearances.

So outside of trying to play MCC at a friend's, have not played halo heavy since halo 3, just got MCC (Half off, half functioning)

Question 1 - if I started the download 3 hours ago, and I'm at 50% install, does that include the 20 gig MP patch?
1A) is that about average to have about that much downloaded or is my Xbox moving slow

Question 2- I know what will happen, I'll flash back to my youth with halo 1 campaign, I'll play 2 and then... I'm going to want to read books, where is the best place to start

Thank You
The download includes all the updates including the MP part so when it finishes you'll have the complete game.

For novels you want to start with Fall of Reach, then First Strike for events between CE and 2, both are fantastic books on their own and worth a read regardless whether you are interested in the lore. While the gap between 2 and 3 are filled by Uprising and the background of 4 is told in the forerunner trilogy, you can simply caught them up on halopedia.

His reply to another poster acting like they didn't understand why I had a particular opinion on a game mechanic. I remember however, explaining that I tried to like Destiny and just couldn't, and you took it at face value and respected my preferences. How refreshing of you ;)

Booshka

Tlou game of the forever

You play it at least weekly? Like put in 10 or so hours every week into it?

I've put thousands of hours into Dark Souls, invading, new builds, challenge runs, co op, playing with streamers , etc.

You prolly trolling, but TLOU ain't no game of the forever.

HTupolev

You're right though Halo 3 did have full 16:9 split screen albeit only on a scart tube TV.
Do you mean it offered a natural 16:9-ratio split if you were using SCART? Naturally it doesn't have any black bars if you tell it to output a 4:3 signal, but in my experience it still uses pillarboxing for low-res 16:9. The game seems to produce the output image just based on the 360's configured aspect ratio, not resolution or output signal type, although I have no experience using SCART.

Top Bottom