• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

People still complaining about Reach moving the Autumn for a small amount of time when the entire point was to have a cool callback directly to Halo 1, when 343 retconned the entire concept of Humans being Forerunners. 5 games of lore versus 1 book (it's their franchise, they can do that).

I'd rather have games be games than being beholden to promotional books.

If your entire problem with Reach has nothing to do with the game itself, but another piece of content in another medium, I just feel bad for you.

Halsey's Journal rectified a solid portion of it anyways. You can chalk up the "random slipspace trajectory" to Cortana not fully rectifying with her coordinate half Six dropped off.

Reach is probably the most emotional a game has ever gotten me. The music, the endgame atmosphere and knowing that Six was good as dead, it being the last of Bungie's Halo titles...

"There'll be another time..." in Lone Wolf was just the worst. There won't because 343 won't ever bring back Firefight!

HTupolev

The lack of visible legs in CE is a travesty.
It's not "realistic" per se, but I honestly think it feels more natural than many games with visible legs.

IRL you tend to move limbs subconsciously for things like visibility, so legs don't tend to be "felt" as view occluders. Whereas in some games (Halo 2 being a significant offender) you have to clumsily shuffle about to get your legs out of your face if you want to look down.

And leg behavior in games always tends to be really janky on close inspection anyway, even with carefully-designed first-person models.

Reach is probably the most emotional a game has ever gotten me. The music, the endgame atmosphere and knowing that Six was good as dead, it being the last of Bungie's Halo titles...

"There'll be another time..." in Lone Wolf was just the worst. There won't because 343 won't ever bring back Firefight!
Holy shit.

jem0208

It's not "realistic" per se, but I honestly think it feels more natural than many games with visible legs.

IRL you tend to move limbs subconsciously for things like visibility, so legs don't tend to be "felt" as view occluders. Whereas in some games (Halo 2 being a significant offender) you have to clumsily shuffle about to get your legs out of your face if you want to look down.

And leg behavior in games always tends to be really janky on close inspection anyway, even with carefully-designed first-person models.
It's obviously not a real complaint of mine but I do prefer it when you can see your legs. It's just one of those little things which breaks the immersion slightly. I always check in an FPS game to see if the legs are visible, a game which has it gets a bonus point from me.

The "clumsy shuffle" never really bothered me although I do know what you're talking about. I just quite like knowing that there's an actual model walking around rather than a floating camera with arms.

Booshka

Ninja has a pretty good new Emote for Twitch. Master Chief definitely needs a Kappa face at this point.

SaganIsGOAT

343 should make Karen Traviss their lead writer. Hand over Frankie's job to her also. She would do great things with the Halo bible in her hands.

Finds match of Halo 3 in less than 30 seconds

oddball on black out
Shweet
map starts loading
bar doesn't move
hear the UI noise
match crashes before it even loads
booted to blank results screen

*nose bleed*

Next match

uneven teams
*brain hemorrhaging*

singhr1

How is this any different/better from 343i? You don't even explain that, you just give us a hyperlink of update posts.

We get weekly bulletin videos (almost always unrelated to MCC fixes) and Brav's blogposts on a weekly to monthly basis. These AC:Unity updates were monthly. 343i does some communication here and there through here, twitter, and teambeyond as well.

Now we can just blame it on the Domain or something. XD

Yeah, just remembered that chapter was pretty straight forward in events. Oops.

Halsey had a thing for John and it seemingly carried over into Cortana's personality, I guess? I read the implication in a book once. :p

I see. Actually, after reading Primordium, I saw The Librarian and the Iso-Didact echoing through Halsey and down to John 117 and Cortana. It changed the way I saw the classic game cover/image for Halo 3 (PrinzEugn posted a link a bit ago). The one where he is posing with an AR, and Cortana's eye is super-imposed in the sky above his shoulder.

Ominym

Banned
People still complaining about Reach moving the Autumn for a small amount of time when the entire point was to have a cool callback directly to Halo 1, when 343 retconned the entire concept of Humans being Forerunners. 5 games of lore versus 1 book (it's their franchise, they can do that).

If your entire problem with Reach has nothing to do with the game itself, but another piece of content in another medium, I just feel bad for you.
Agreed. Personally, I feel that the game lore should and does trump any additional lore. Because of that, I never really suffered with any dissonance like others apparently did.

Ghazi

I thought the update Bravo posted was weekly. Correct me if I'm wrong with that, but it's ridiculous we still haven't heard anything from anyone.

Computer

They will have the Friday happy go lucky guy no one whats to listen to. Talk about the HCS standings and some Halo mega blocks.

Can we get a fucking pod cast or vlog that is not a entertainment tonight show? Talk to us dammit.

I am finally watching the Dexter series and saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpABUzPN9cU its not edited.

Did not know Halo 3 is on PC.

New cannon fodder entry...see the decoded stuff about Alerian miners

So, "Upadte"...sly code word for update? The one we wait with bated breath for? Cannon Fodder's blog seems to be trying to slip stuff past the top brass. Which tells me the rank and file are tired of taking it for the sins of the upper echelon.

Or I could be reaching...

Wait, Red vs. Blue has Second Story stuff?

Wait, Red vs. Blue is on Halo Channel?

I know what I'm watching this weekend!

RowdyReverb

They will have the Friday happy go lucky guy no one whats to listen to. Talk about the HCS standings and some Halo mega blocks.

Can we get a fucking pod cast or vlog that is not a entertainment tonight show? Talk to us dammit.

I am finally watching the Dexter series and saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpABUzPN9cU its not edited.

Did not know Halo 3 is on PC.
Now I want to see a Halo mod with Atari 2600 sound effects

Played some more MP tonight, wow this is really the worst MP I've experienced. Not finding matches, being forced to quit the application and reboot, getting kicked to the menu screen right when level loads.... all in one MP session hahaha

Thank god for SP

Computer

Played some more MP tonight, wow this is really the worst MP I've experienced. Not finding matches, being forced to quit the application and reboot, getting kicked to the menu screen right when level loads.... all in one MP session hahaha

Thank god for SP

You think that is bad. Try playing with friends for the ultimate "I want to burn my Xbox feeling".

ElRenoRaven

Know it's damn late but I couldn't agree more. Bungie created the franchise hence they could retcon whatever the hell they wanted. They always were honest about the fact that if they wanted to they would retcon something if they thought it would make for a better game. To me the changes were worth it for the game. Like said by someone else. The direct tie in to Halo was awesome. To see Keyes and hear his voice again and to see the POA leave was just awesome as hell.

I also agree. 343's retcons were criminal in my opinion. Course I'm ultimately not going to lose my shit there either cause Halo 4 had a somewhat interesting story and I do kind of want to see where they go with it.

Accountability? Falling on a sword? Why do people want blood for this? The game was rushed out in time for the holidays and it was a Frankenstein monster built from the efforts of several different studios, both of which were outside of 343's control. Additionally, we've received apologies from the director, a free month of XBL, a free additional map, ODST for free, and an afaik unprecedented level of communication regarding the status and contents of content updates. They are working to make this right, what more do you want? What would getting somebody fired or scapegoating an employee accomplish? What would we gain?

This is all kinds of untrue.

343 does 1 update a week if we are fucking lucky which are vague as hell and barely tell us anything. We got an apology? Congrats. Bonnie Ross has said about 1 thing and that was months ago. What about Dan Ayoub? You know, the guy that was lead develepor on the game? Has not been heard of since November 13th. He literally disappeared. These guys get fucking payed to do this shit and they can barely communicate correctly. I'm sorry that you seem to be content with mediocrity and shitty aplogy gifts. Someone deserved some kind of blame for this. Maybe MS isn't happy with 343 but from the outside looking in all seems good up in Washington. Meanwhile, 343 just got away with robbery.

343 has done almost everything thinkable wrong and they look guilty by being silent. The whole "they are working on it" excuse is detouring from the entire point. Is Dan Ayoub working on the game? Is Bonnie Ross working on the game? The only person with a semblance of openness is our friend (and only person that actually talks from the 343 dev team) Frankie. Why is everyone so silent

Sorry for the rant 343 makes me angry :/

343 does 1 update a week if we are fucking lucky which are vague as hell and barely tell us anything. We got an apology? Congrats. Bonnie Ross has said about 1 thing and that was months ago. What about Dan Ayoub? You know, the guy that was lead develepor on the game? Has not been heard of since November 13th. He literally disappeared. These guys get fucking payed to do this shit and they can barely communicate correctly. I'm sorry that you seem to be content with mediocrity and shitty aplogy gifts. Someone deserved some kind of blame for this. Maybe MS isn't happy with 343 but from the outside looking in all seems good up in Washington. Meanwhile, 343 just got away with robbery.

Yes...yes...let me fuel your rage...

Ramirez

343 has done almost everything thinkable wrong and they look guilty by being silent. The whole "they are working on it" excuse is detouring from the entire point. Is Dan Ayoub working on the game? Is Bonnie Ross working on the game? The only person with a semblance of openness is our friend (and only person that actually talks from the 343 dev team) Frankie. Why is everyone so silent

Sorry for the rant 343 makes me angry :/

Let's be real dude, nothing would make you happy.

Top Bottom