• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

It's happening.

By the way...since it's Monday, the start of a new work week....how's the certification going? We gold yet?

It has to pass certification. If i remember right two or three patches when they were weekly still went from a confirmed date to delayed because, most likely, they failed cert.

So we arent even close to out of the woods on this patch IMO.

Prove me wrong and release it tonight 343 and have matchmaking work. I hope you do.

Overdoziz

Banned
65cbdb5aa511bfd8491a86f1f86d47f7.png

take your beetle covenant art style outta here

jem0208

I mostly agree, I think they are trying to set up a more complicated human conflict, which makes perfect sense given the "deep lore"
history of the insurrectionists
. However, I'm kind of incredulous that they are so shitty at testing
new Spartans that they're letting rebel sympathizers in.

Yeah, I thought it would have been cool if Reach has strayed a bit more into the insurrectionist territory. They very briefly touch on it at the very beginning but it would have been cool if the first few missions had focused on it.

Halo 4s art direction was awful and Halo 5 is barely improved IMO. Everything looks like shiny plastic.

Of course it does.

Glass

So far the Spartans armour in 5 are a vast improvement on 4's. So Im prerty hopeful. It must be weird as hell moving into another IP after so long.

wwm0nkey

So now that UE4 is free we really need to start on that Halo PC game.

edit:

First design discussion.....

Red versus Blue or Yellow versus Purple?
I am honestly up for working on a game with some GAF members. I've been using it for awhile and Blueprint is REALLY nice for visual coding.

First chapter of New Blood done. And... huh.
- Buck, Romeo, and Mickey are Spartans
- on a mission to save Virgil and the girl from the ODST data packs from Rebels
- Romeo and Mickey turn out to be working for the Rebels at the end of the chapter.

Too early to decide if I dig the direction. Buck's tone is pretty good, but a few big words I can't see him saying. But I'm enjoying reading it so far.

Whoa...what.

I am so out of the loop.

edit:

Blue vs. Orange, natch.

But seriously guys. Where are all the avatars at?

Am I the only one not seeing them?

Not just you; there's a thread about it in OT. My connection is buggy AF, so I'm used to it, but apparently it's become rather more widespread.

Fuchsdh

New Blood was good. Lots of nice little character touches, get to see old faces pop up. Author did a good job of nailing Fillion's character.

Palmer shows up, but I don't think GAF would have an issue with her.
Plus it's Buck who says 'egghead' :p

Sort of wish it had been fleshed out as a full novel, though—there's a pretty lengthy amount of recap to get people up to speed that if you're a diehard fan feels unnecessary.

belushy

Banned
I am honestly up for working on a game with some GAF members. I've been using it for awhile and Blueprint is REALLY nice for visual coding.

It is something I'm kinda interested in. I'll have to see how my PC handles it first, as it is on the older side. It is why I didn't dive in a lot earlier. Blueprint really looks awesome, and it is one of the thing I'm most excited to try out.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
While I don't work in the video game industry, I find it crazy how often people job hop from studio to studio.

Obviously Vic didn't do this, but everytime I read a prolific designer jumping ship...always makes me think of those who just made a super successful game...and then they leave.

Money I suppose?

Madness

You could see just what kind of work went into the art in the Sprint episodes. Probably just wanted to do something else after all these years. I don't get it though. He left Bungie and working on Destiny to carry the Halo series forward, and yet leaves before the second game from them is even finished. Who knows. This does mean that Frankie is the sole former Bungie employee left at 343 now right? Best of luck to Vic though, wherever he ends up.

So now that it's free, who here is interested in helping me develop an arena shooter? Being totally serious. Conceptually I have pretty much everything laid out already in terms of sound design, art direction, damage values, etc. but I'm still only learning how to Blueprint myself.

Fuchsdh

You could see just what kind of work went into the art in the Sprint episodes. Probably just wanted to do something else after all these years. I don't get it though. He left Bungie and working on Destiny to carry the Halo series forward, and yet leaves before the second game from them is even finished. Who knows. This does mean that Frankie is the sole former Bungie employee left at 343 now right? Best of luck to Vic though, wherever he ends up.

I believe there are folks who contracted with Bungie and ended up at 343. But so far as I know Frankie is the last full-time Bungie guy who's still at 343. Which isn't all that surprising—I can't imagine what it'd be like to work on the same series for more than a decade. Especially if you're a creative type, it might start to seem like a rut.

edit:

Yellow vs green.

It is something I'm kinda interested in. I'll have to see how my PC handles it first, as it is on the older side. It is why I didn't dive in a lot earlier. Blueprint really looks awesome, and it is one of the thing I'm most excited to try out.
Ask grizz if you can join gaflo. We need people.

FyreWulff

afiak, Vic went to work on Halo with 343 right after Reach shipped, and never worked directly on Destiny (or at least publically) . He's one of the reasons we got Forge Island for H4.

He worked on Halo 2 (and DLC), Halo 3 (and DLC), Halo Reach (and DLC), Halo 4 (and DLC), and now Halo 5.

daedalius

In terms of generating art assets it could be close to finished. Doesn't meant the game is in a complete state.

At this point, I'll bet most of the art design/concept team is already planning out DLC, Halo 6.

Environment artists are probably still cranking away at the campaign though, I'm sure that takes absolutely forever.

Madness

afiak, Vic went to work on Halo with 343 right after Reach shipped, and never worked directly on Destiny (or at least publically) . He's one of the reasons we got Forge Island for H4.

He worked on Halo 2 (and DLC), Halo 3 (and DLC), Halo Reach (and DLC), Halo 4 (and DLC), and now Halo 5.

Yeah I worded it poorly, I meant he left Bungie and the chance of working on Destiny to continue with Halo at 343. Someone like him would probably have loved working on the art and locations for Destiny. Then again, maybe he's tired of shooters altogether. Just sad. Another longtime employee gone and yet again some turnover at the higher levels for 343.

FyreWulff

Yeah I worded it poorly, I meant he left Bungie and the chance of working on Destiny to continue with Halo at 343. Someone like him would probably have loved working on the art and locations for Destiny. Then again, maybe he's tired of shooters altogether. Just sad. Another longtime employee gone and yet again some turnover at the higher levels for 343.

From his interviews he really liked Halo. But sometimes you just wanna put a bow on a chapter of your life and do some new stuff. People tend to always view someone leaving a company or a developer as something more than it is.

Top Bottom