• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

So now that it's free, who here is interested in helping me develop an arena shooter? Being totally serious. Conceptually I have pretty much everything laid out already in terms of sound design, art direction, damage values, etc. but I'm still only learning how to Blueprint myself.

I think that'd be fun, though I have absolutely zero experience.

jelly

343 might have a big turnover of staff simply because they just make Halo. It's understandable creative people might feel bored eventually. Best of luck to him on his new adventures.

343 might have a big turnover of staff simply because they just make Halo. It's understandable creative people might feel bored eventually. Best of luck to him on his new adventures.

I feel like that's all it is. Other studios have a variety of games going at a time, a lot of different IPs. When it's just Halo Halo Halo, I'm sure you want to change it up. He sounds like he has something already lined up.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like that's all it is. Other studios have a variety of games going at a time, a lot of different IPs. When it's just Halo Halo Halo, I'm sure you want to change it up. He sounds like he has something already lined up.
Where'd the art in your avatar come from? I've always thought it's hilarious.

Madness

That may be true, but look at the sheer numbers of senior staff changes from Halo 4 to Halo 5. Let's see what happens after Halo 5 launches. I just don't want Halo to be a stepping stone for others in the industry. Work at 343 for 2-3 years, ship a game and then stamp on your resume "Lead Level Designer for Halo 5: Guardians, the fastest selling Xbox One title in history" etc.

Here's the thing though, you know what 343 is, it's what you signed up for when you applied for the job. They're only going to make Halo, Halo, Halo. So are you in it for the long term or the short gain? It is bad for the series if people ship games and then move on and use what tthey learned towards other games, rather than make the next one better etc.

wwm0nkey

I think that'd be fun, though I have absolutely zero experience.
There are a lot of tutorials and BluePrint is all visual.

So for damage you would just create a new variable interest (or double) for Health and set it to something like 50. Then do something like OnEvent Hit (by projectile) take Health - 10 and if health =<0 destroy actor

But it's like connecting string together in Blueprint

There are a lot of tutorials and BluePrint is all visual.

So for damage you would just create a new variable interest (or double) for Health and set it to something like 50. Then do something like OnEvent Hit (by projectile) take Health - 10 and if health =<0 destroy actor

But it's like connecting string together in Blueprint

Sounds like Project Spark, honestly.

JDHarbs

Unreal 4 really is amazing. First thing I did when I downloaded it last year was import Master Chief from Halo PC into the character controller, and used some mod tools to get the original animations in too. I tested it out with the 3rd person template, and this is what I got:

TotalExhaustedBirdofparadise.gif

Its not much, but the UE4 part was incredibly easy compared to getting the models and animations out of Halo PC. I haven't touched it much since then because I moved on to the 1st person template to try to and get the FP arms and animations working with weapons, but I couldn't figure out how to get the weapons to animate correctly in 3DS Max. I'm so used to using Maya that I had to spend most of my time learning Max before I could do anything else.

Mix

Finally playing the Halo campaigns with my little brother who is 10, almost 11. It's been s really cool experience playing through CE with him and I'm excited to play the rest. Gonna be doing a retrospective series of sorts on the Reclaimer Radio YouTube channel with him after each game. Should be a cool little series.

belushy

Banned
Unreal 4 really is amazing. First thing I did when I downloaded it last year was import Master Chief from Halo PC into the character controller, and used some mod tools to get the original animations in too. I tested it out with the 3rd person template, and this is what I got:

Its not much, but the UE4 part was incredibly easy compared to getting the models and animations out of Halo PC. I haven't touched it much since then because I moved on to the 1st person template to try to and get the FP arms and animations working with weapons, but I couldn't figure out how to get the weapons to animate correctly in 3DS Max. I'm so used to using Maya that I had to spend most of my time learning Max before I could do anything else.

Man I watched like every single tutorial made for the engine when it first came out, even though I didn't have it. It just looked fun to use I guess. I'ma need to try and learn Blender again.

jem0208

Decided to play through CE for the first time on the MCC, not sure why I didn't until now, and it's the first time I've played the Anniversary version.

It's not very faithful to the original however it looks really good... I really like the style change at the start of Truth and Reconciliation.

Decided to play through CE for the first time on the MCC, not sure why I didn't until now, and it's the first time I've played the Anniversary version.

It's not very faithful to the original however it looks really good... I really like the style change at the start of Truth and Reconciliation.

Anniversary version is a looker, but the lack of visible Elite shields kills the gameplay for me.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Sounds like Project Spark, honestly.

It's conceptually similar. UE4's Blueprint still has some limitations, but it's far less limited than anything Project Spark offers. Here's a (very poorly optimized) script I made a few months ago that imitates the way modern Halo games determine what happens when the player presses the jump button:

UE4 going free really makes me want to get back into working on GAFlo. I've been spending most of my free time working on my physical fitness, which is going incredibly well, but I need to start being creative again. Plus, I have an idea for a VR game and my Rift is collecting dust :(

It's conceptually similar. UE4's Blueprint still has some limitations, but it's far less limited than anything Project Spark offers. Here's a (very poorly optimized) script I made a few months ago that imitates the way modern Halo games determine what happens when the player presses the jump button:

Wow, that's... a lot more steps :p Still, I guess that means that it's more powerful as well.

Obviously :p

Fuchsdh

I think overall what's odd is the entire game got shifted from a very purple color range to a more cyan blue. You wouldn't really have noticed it in the first game except you can hit the back button now and compare. Aside from some of the choices with distance fog, it's one of the reason it doesn't have the same "feeling", and I think it's a bigger reason than some of the graphic changes (which for the most part are fine or great, leaving aside the fidelity to the original, but why they made the Control Room floor opaque is beyond me.)

Also, I finally realized that you can actually kill the roving Flood at the beginning of 343GS in the swamp section. Unsurprisingly since they ping on your motion tracker as allies, the game counts them as such and you hurt your campaign score.

UE4 going free really makes me want to get back into working on GAFlo. I've been spending most of my free time working on my physical fitness, which is going incredibly well, but I need to start being creative again. Plus, I have an idea for a VR game and my Rift is collecting dust :(

More creativity is always welcome at Gravity Gauntlet.

no really though

HTupolev

which for the most part are fine or great, leaving aside the fidelity to the original, but why they made the Control Room floor opaque is beyond me.
The original control room floor IS opaque; it has a real-time planar reflection, and the room's geometry is almost vertically symmetric, such that it almost looks like a transparent surface. It's a little surreal, really. For that, and a number of other reasons (i.e. the Marathon logo cleverly worked into the design), I think the original control room has some of the coolest architecture in gaming.

The only version of the Alpha Halo control room which has a transparent floor is the Halo 3 one.

Many people give CE:A a lot of shit for the new graphics not being faithful to the original.
They're definitely not wrong, it often isn't faithful to the original. But you know, I don't actually care that much.

It's fun to see a different take on the same ideas. I've played the original so many times, if I wanted the original, I'd play the original again. I'm happy to see some new ideas in CEA, and much of it is very pretty.

Admittedly the tone of certain sections is changed by the change in art direction, but since I've already seen them (a dozen times), I'm cool with it.

I actually thought that H2A played it too safe. The new cutscenes were obviously amazing, but the gameplay graphics were usually so faithful that it was just not nearly as interesting to replay as CEA was. Probably in response to crying over CEA.

An interesting bit is my young son (5.5 years old) who had never played old or new CEA/H2A versions found the back button graphics switcher. Now given the modern gaming visual quality he's accustomed to you'd think it would be an easy answer for staying with the updated visuals...

Nope, he far and away prefers the classic graphics. I asked him why and the answer was in two parts; firstly it's easier to see everything (gameplay) and secondly mood (ambience & immersion).

Personally I enjoy the modern quality and effort but Halo campaign or multiplayer has always had this clear cut visual clarity that I just love. It helps with gameplay and it immerses you into clear aspects of design elements. Reach & Halo 4 seemed to clutter things up with the extra workload the game engines or staff resources could deliver. Take a look at maps like The Pit or Haven and campaign missions like 343GS or Delta Halo and it's these sorts of visually clear and very well defined aspects I and obviously my son want to see Halo deliver. The graphics in the remakes and modern Halo games are top notch but a more is less approach would be very welcomed indeed.

A post in this or another Halo thread discussed how the shields and one shot popping wasn't visually clear, it's these sorts of design elements that needs to remain very clear and basic. The same goes for the H5 beta feedback about the Spartan colours not standing out against the map designs.

HTupolev

Nope, he far and away prefers the classic graphics. I asked him why and the answer was in two parts; firstly it's easier to see everything (gameplay) and secondly mood (ambience & immersion).
Now bust out the oXbox+CRT and blow his mind with the non-butchered classic visuals and glorious original audio.

Ambitious.

Sophisticated.

Yes.

(And not just for Halo. Some oXbox titles look best over an HD connection to a high-resolution display, but others are absolute stunners, not to mention deliciously responsive, on SD CRT.)

Yeah the Wii U on that TV isn't ideal but it's "his" setup for now, just so I can get the X1 and all the other goodies for myself :)
He and I still play MCC on X1 together plus he takes over Destiny patrols from time to time as well

Just finished New Blood, and aside from the massive retread of a chapter that was a bit too much for my attention span, I think I loved it. But I really, REALLY hope this means we're getting Buck in another game.

Also, kittens, I actually don't know my avatar's artist. The name is some random tumblr user, no match on deviantart, and a Google Image search only shows my NeoGaf posts (lulz) and a Korean image hosting site. Kinda bummed.... I wanted to credit the proper artist.

Fuchsdh

Did they go into character motives at any point of the story?

They develop more of Buck's early history and his relationship with Dare, as well as bits of what he's been doing since the end of the Covenant War. The other ODSTs get small bits, but it's told from Buck's POV throughout so it's somewhat limited.

An interesting bit is my young son (5.5 years old) who had never played old or new CEA/H2A versions found the back button graphics switcher. Now given the modern gaming visual quality he's accustomed to you'd think it would be an easy answer for staying with the updated visuals...

Personally I enjoy the modern quality and effort but Halo campaign or multiplayer has always had this clear cut visual clarity that I just love. It helps with gameplay and it immerses you into clear aspects of design elements. Reach & Halo 4 seemed to clutter things up with the extra workload the game engines or staff resources could deliver. Take a look at maps like The Pit or Haven and campaign missions like 343GS or Delta Halo and it's these sorts of visually clear and very well defined aspects I and obviously my son want to see Halo deliver. The graphics in the remakes and modern Halo games are top notch but a more is less approach would be very welcomed indeed.

A post in this or another Halo thread discussed how the shields and one shot popping wasn't visually clear, it's these sorts of design elements that needs to remain very clear and basic. The same goes for the H5 beta feedback about the Spartan colours not standing out against the map designs.

CE has some good gameplay feedback, but I wouldn't say overall "clarity" is always the word I'd use. One thing CEA definitely improved on is the massive incidence of low-contrast areas, though. "Keyes" is horrendously hard to navigate due to the canyon walls blending in with each other. Likewise the Library adds lights for interest as well as the floor decals so you don't go the wrong direction. Sure, CEA often made it so that the flashlight wasn't necessary (and went in the opposite direction with H2A) but I appreciated being able to pick things out easier, even with other visual noise.

Pennybags

New Blood was an entertaining read and well worth the asking price, but the ODST play-by-play chapter was groan-inducing as someone familiar with the game.

RowdyReverb

I agree with you guys about the CEA graphics. While they look nice and it's cool that we got the most authentic remake possible, I sometimes find that I more often play in classic mode and occaisionally switch to anniversary graphics to see what certain scenes look like rather than the other way around.
As fun as it is to strive for photorealism, it sometimes seems like we lost some visual language along the way

CE has some good gameplay feedback, but I wouldn't say overall "clarity" is always the word I'd use. One thing CEA definitely improved on is the massive incidence of low-contrast areas, though. "Keyes" is horrendously hard to navigate due to the canyon walls blending in with each other. Likewise the Library adds lights for interest as well as the floor decals so you don't go the wrong direction. Sure, CEA often made it so that the flashlight wasn't necessary (and went in the opposite direction with H2A) but I appreciated being able to pick things out easier, even with other visual noise.

It's a good point, I dislike the first canyon part of Keyes for exactly what you describe. None of the games are absolutely perfect, I suppose there are some tradeoffs for design or mood reasons that result in poor visual identification or too much visual noise.

Now off to buy New Blood eBook and Interstellar Blu Ray.

RowdyReverb

That's true. I even seem to recall a vidoc where they talk about this very thing. Adding lights on 343GS to gently guide your path and things like that were nice touches. I think the classic graphics are just easier to use in some instances because there's simply less to take in visually, making it better suited to focusing on your immediate objectives. CEA graphics on the other hand make exploration of the maps a bit more interesting. You really can't go wrong. It's a good game.

You can feel the strong Star Wars influence through much of Halo CE, but I also felt a lot of Star Trek as well. The technological limitations of the 2001 xbox and the subsequent use of color and lighting to create the covenant maps really hit the Star Trek vibe for me.

On that note, live long and prosper.

You can feel the strong Star Wars influence through much of Halo CE, but I also felt a lot of Star Trek as well. The technological limitations of the 2001 xbox and the subsequent use of color and lighting to create the covenant maps really hit the Star Trek vibe for me.

On that note, live long and prosper.
Like what?

HTupolev

CE has some good gameplay feedback, but I wouldn't say overall "clarity" is always the word I'd use. One thing CEA definitely improved on is the massive incidence of low-contrast areas, though.
Most of the added contrast doesn't contribute to readability. Usually it's just middle-frequency detail (in the form of diffuse textures and harsh shadow) that if anything obscures the large-scale geometry and makes it harder to pick out small-scale dynamic phenomena (especially with the dynamic lighting being a lot less vibrant). Which especially on the small-scale is poor for gameplay, and on the large-scale is poor for aesthetic scene composition.

Unless your TV is doing horrible things to the image, there are relatively few places in CE that can be hard to read on account of scene geometry not having sufficient contrast. The ground area on Keyes is about the only spot that comes to mind, really.

"Keyes" is horrendously hard to navigate due to the canyon walls blending in with each other.
Sort of.

The first two "rooms" can be a little iffy if it's been a long time. After that the areas are either wide hallways, or they're extremely clearly-landmarked.

HTupolev

Keyes is as bad as most people say "The Library" is
It's grown on me. Not a level I want to play often, but it's a great, if somewhat sketchy, white-knuckles experience. My biggest complaint would be that (on legendary) there are a few encounters which can be somewhat iffy outside of cheesy solutions.

If I had to choose between them, I'd probably pick Library as being the better level, but it's somewhat apples-to-oranges. Although there are some similar design choices, Library is mostly a maneuvering dance level, something that you can really fall into the rhythm of. Keyes is more a series of big moments.

It's grown on me. Not a level I want to play often, but it's a great, if somewhat sketchy, white-knuckles experience. My biggest complaint would be that (on legendary) there are a few encounters which can be somewhat iffy outside of cheesy solutions.

If I had to choose between them, I'd probably pick Library as being the better level, but it's somewhat apples-to-oranges. Although there are some similar design choices, Library is mostly a maneuvering dance level, something that you can really fall into the rhythm of. Keyes is more a series of big moments.

At least The Library has some mindless shooting fun that is not two pair of hunters back to back.

Booshka

At least The Library has some mindless shooting fun that is not two pair of hunters back to back.

Hunters are only hard on Truth and Reconciliation in Halo CE, because you don't have a Pistol. Definitely an enemy that needed a buff, the 1 shot Pistol/Sniper cheese was quite the oversight.

My dude. What was unclear?
I'm into both well enough. But the only things that clearly come to mind is the Death Star and Dyson's Sphere comparison to Halo's Shield World. That's about it.

You could say Agent Locke is sort of an ONI Bounty Hunter. He would be the Boba Fett of Halo though.

Edit: Excluding Star ships and United Colonies.

Top Bottom