• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Random question. Do we know what resolution Halo 5 will be at launch yet?

Since I upgraded my TV to one that's actually full HD, I've noticed just how ugly anything below 1080p is. 900p can be alright (H2's campaign is nice, admittedly), but with most titles it's rather jarring. It would be disappointing if Halo 2 Anniversary looked better than Halo 5, just because it is native 1080p whereas the latter might not be

No confirmation. I suspect they'll go with a 1080pr type solution, which seems to work much better than 900p.

RowdyReverb

No confirmation. I suspect they'll go with a 1080pr type solution, which seems to work much better than 900p.
This seems to make the most sense since H2A used this solution as well. We may also see use of a dynamic resolution as in CoD:AW or Wolfenstein:TNO to maintain 60fps at the cost of pixels in more demanding scenes. I foresee that solution will become more and more common as this generation continues.

this absolutely happened and there isn't any more context needed. this was it.

BEPCsMu.gif

Despite H5G being 720p it seemed extremely clean to me in motion. The only time I noticed excessive amounts of jaggies were in real-time situations with a still camera, that is, the opening / closing vignettes to matches. Well, that and all the bipeds in the menus.

Obscured

Started a game of Halo 3 on Narrows and had to check a few times to make sure I wasn't starting out crouched, but it was just the normal movement speed. I am constantly amazed by how slow 3 seems.

Main annoyance that remains for me is that you have to restart MP search after each match. Haven't had a game end early for me once since the patch (this anecdotal evidence is not to say that others experience may differ). Best thing was I had a small amount of time the other day and from turning on the XB1 to being in a BTB match was ~2minutes. Definitely have been bitten by the Halo bug again, keep having it happen where I plan on playing a match or two and then it is six games later.

Glad to see there is a MCC bundle coming, but sad it is just the standard with the code. I wouldn't pick up another and have never been one to pick up collector editions, but they always feel special and in general I'm bummed there isn't that much in the way of cool hardware.

dwells

But I think they should market this sorta like "WE FIXED IT. GAME WORKS. COME PLAY HALO" Because there are a ton of people in the gaming side thread that still thought the game was broken
But it is still broken. You can find games quicker, but all the other problems are still there. Halo 2 Classic is still a mess.

VinFTW

But it is still broken. You can find games quicker, but all the other problems are still there. Halo 2 Classic is still a mess.
Games not still broken. Has issues, yeah, but broken? Come on now.

Then again, you are consistently more negative than the average halo gaffer.

Tawpgun

I disagree about it being 'broken'

There are issues with it. Bugs. But you can actually play the game now without waiting 10 hours for a match or quitting the build every other match.

It's working, but with bugs that still need to be ironed out.

I think I played every Halo but Halo 1 and 4 in the TS hopper yesterday, smooth as shit. Even a nice flag on coag game with teammates that didn't have mic's.... but were still smart enough to pick up people in hogs

RowdyReverb

I think now that the biggest, game-breaking bug is out of the way, we'll see the lingering annoyances get fixed more quickly. I'd wager that the game will be in a near-optimal state in the next month or two, or whenever ODST launches.

[-] How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
While I have lurked for many years, I just got activated March 2015.

[-] How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?
34, from New Orleans USA

[-] How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
I have been a fan since the release of OG Xbox and CE. First time I played CE was also the first time I ate mushrooms, and it definitely left… an impression. I've played and beaten every game on solo Legendary several times although I'm not up to the LASO challenge.

[-] What mode do you spend most of your time in? (i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)
Without a doubt I am a campaign guy, though by the time each game gets "retired" I probably have spent slightly more time in multi.

[-] What is your favorite playlist? (i.e. MLG, Action Sack)
BTB, always.

[-] AR or BR?
BR

[-] Highest Halo 3 level and what playlist?
Hell, I don't remember but probably not that high, and def would have been TS or BTB

[-] Favorite Halo 2 map?
Coag.

[-] Favorite all-time Halo map?
I always love the Blood Gulch lineage. The Pit was great. I keep closer eyes on the maps for which I always suck, which is really all of the them but worse on some. Like Lockout. Or Swordbase. I HATED Swordbase.

[-] Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
I MAY have signed up for Waypoint in the deep past, but have never really engaged there or even read it all that much.

[-] Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
Lots of FPS, the Arkham games, fervently awaiting Fallout 4 and I am hoping the space sim resurgence leads to a new TIE Fighter/Rogue Squadron type game.

[-] Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)
I am a die-hard New Orleans Saints fan, I work in the film industry, I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy novels, I watch fewer movies than I would like, not a pro BBQer but I would put my ribs and brisket up against anyone who isn't competition level.

And now that that lump on an info dump is out of the way, HI GUYS!! I have been lurking forever but now I will get to join in on the ongoing fight over the last buffalo wing that is HaloGAF.

Oh man, those first post feels….

I've been playing loads of H2C without any issues at all.

I don't know, it still feels a little janky to me. I hadn't played H2C in a awhile, but I did yesterday, and the hit detection left something to be desired. It was playable, though.

H4 Team Snipers is the best. It's so smooth.

And now that that lump on an info dump is out of the way, HI GUYS!! I have been lurking forever but now I will get to join in on the ongoing fight over the last buffalo wing that is HaloGAF.

Oh man, those first post feels….

Hey there, new guy! Welcome to the club. Remember that it's like prison, in that you really need to pick a fight with somebody on the first day if anyone is going to respect you.

Impala26

I think now that the biggest, game-breaking bug is out of the way, we'll see the lingering annoyances get fixed more quickly. I'd wager that the game will be in a near-optimal state in the next month or two, or whenever ODST launches.

There was only ONE? Which one do you mean?
o_O

Tawpgun

Favorite all-time Halo map?
I always love the Blood Gulch lineage. The Pit was great. I keep closer eyes on the maps for which I always suck, which is really all of the them but worse on some. Like Lockout. Or Swordbase. I HATED Swordbase.
It seems someone has never played a good ol game of Oddball Swordbase

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone wanna play some Halo in a little bit? I've been mostly playing H4, H3, and H2A lately.

Welcome xxANTIMONITORxx

I was just about to ask, if he came across the Dong Squad of Oddball Swordbase. lol

Oh man, it's possible. Also for some reason that map was alway hard for me to keep my bearings on. As far as Tawp's Oddball Swordbase, I prob did at some point because Swordbase (to me) sometimes felt like the only map in the game. Like, it popped for me constantly. Every time felt like getting kicked in the oddball. And then the next time, kicked in the even one.

And THAT, my good people, is the kind of quality wordplay you can all expect to start ignoring me for.

[-] How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
While I have lurked for many years, I just got activated March 2015.

[-] How old are you? What country or state are you posting from?
34, from New Orleans USA

[-] How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
I have been a fan since the release of OG Xbox and CE. First time I played CE was also the first time I ate mushrooms, and it definitely left… an impression. I've played and beaten every game on solo Legendary several times although I'm not up to the LASO challenge.

[-] What mode do you spend most of your time in? (i.e. Multiplayer, Campaign, Forge, Firefight, Theater)
Without a doubt I am a campaign guy, though by the time each game gets "retired" I probably have spent slightly more time in multi.

[-] What is your favorite playlist? (i.e. MLG, Action Sack)
BTB, always.

[-] AR or BR?
BR

[-] Highest Halo 3 level and what playlist?
Hell, I don't remember but probably not that high, and def would have been TS or BTB

[-] Favorite Halo 2 map?
Coag.

[-] Favorite all-time Halo map?

[-] Other Halo sites/forums you have been a member of.
I MAY have signed up for Waypoint in the deep past, but have never really engaged there or even read it all that much.

[-] Any other games you spend a lot of time playing.
Lots of FPS, the Arkham games, fervently awaiting Fallout 4 and I am hoping the space sim resurgence leads to a new TIE Fighter/Rogue Squadron type game.

[-] Personal bio stuff. (occupation/hobbies/etc.)
I am a die-hard New Orleans Saints fan, I work in the film industry, I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy novels, I watch fewer movies than I would like, not a pro BBQer but I would put my ribs and brisket up against anyone who isn't competition level.

Welcome! Here's your slug and a kiss ;)

HTupolev

I didn't realize more than one bug could be the "biggest"
It does read a little funny, though, when at launch there were several issues that were completely catastrophic. It wasn't just that MM took forever to find games, it was also things like spending 45 minutes trying to bring a small party together. Back then you could literally spend several hours of playing and only manage to get a few custom games in.

RBK

Banned
MCC bundle is a good way to bolster those game sales figures and build up the community. And assuming the AC bundle numbers are dwindling, this new bundle is a much better option.

Impala26

I didn't realize more than one bug could be the "biggest"

It does read a little funny, though, when at launch there were several issues that were completely catastrophic. It wasn't just that MM took forever to find games, it was also things like spending 45 minutes trying to bring a small party together. Back then you could literally spend several hours of playing and only manage to get a few custom games in.

What he said.
I could almost overlook the broken Matchmaking if we could just play customs, but even that wasn't working properly. It would take like 30 minutes or more to set up a match for the MCC Throwdown.

MCC bundle is a good way to bolster those game sales figures and build up the community. And assuming the AC bundle numbers are dwindling, this new bundle is a much better option.

I agree. With MCC and Halo Channel it felt like they were trying to create a sort of Apple-type Halo ecosystem. Obviously, the glued-together rickshaw that was the MCC release had to be detrimental to that, but ultimately they have to start practically giving it away just to get in on Xboxes and back in everybody's head space as a viable FUNCTIONING product.

I mean, maybe it's unreasonable tech-wise, but I always assumed that Halo 5 might just slot in from that unified launch system of the MCC.

Isn't The Anti-Monitor a dude that got banned later on in Halo 4's development? I think he's still around, he just doesn't frequent HaloGAF. Had an avatar based on one of the first-ever screens we got of Halo 4.

RowdyReverb

What he said.
I could almost overlook the broken Matchmaking if we could just play customs, but even that wasn't working properly. It would take like 30 minutes or more to set up a match for the MCC Throwdown.
I guess I'm operating under the assumption that all these things were due to a big underlying bug, as stinkles implied in a few posts

HTupolev

I guess I'm operating under the assumption that all these things were due to a big underlying bug, as stinkles implied in a few posts
It was always nebulous, but I got the sense that it was something you'd usually describe more as "one of the systems is well and truly not good" than "one bug."

Isn't The Anti-Monitor a dude that got banned later on in Halo 4's development? I think he's still around, he just doesn't frequent HaloGAF. Had an avatar based on one of the first-ever screens we got of Halo 4.

Nah, not me. It's my most lame-ass gamer tag ever since the last one. I was just into an intense Crisis on Infinite Earths re-read and decided that the longest and most awkward handle based on an obscure comic book villain was ABSOLUTELY the way to go.

I actually feel the same way about my twitter handle, which now I def can't change due to the loyalty of my OVER 100 (bot) followers.

Nah, not me. It's my most lame-ass gamer tag ever since the last one. I was just into an intense Crisis on Infinite Earths re-read and decided that the longest and most awkward handle based on an obscure comic book villain was ABSOLUTELY the way to go.

I actually feel the same way about my twitter handle, which now I def can't change due to the loyalty of my OVER 100 (bot) followers.

Psh, obscure? Try xxMONGOLxx or xxCRAZYQUILTxx
Welcome to HaloGaf my man.

RowdyReverb

It was always nebulous, but I got the sense that it was something you'd usually describe more as "one of the systems is well and truly not good" than "one bug."
Maybe "bug" is a bit of an understatement in this case. Anyway, semantics aside, my point was that now that the online multiplayer seems to be working more smoothly, the team can devote their time to the more minor, but still annoying bugs, so hopefully they'll get fixed sooner rather than later.

Is there a possibility that Halo 5 ships at 720? I hope they can at least hit 900, at the very least the HUD should be 1080. You can say the IQ was fine in the beta, but to me it's a pretty noticeable difference from 720 to 1080.

Top Bottom