• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

-Ryn

Banned
If I get live for it again then I probably will.
Radical. It'll be good times.

I live in cape may its a summer town, beautiful beaches plenty of bars, but the closest taco bell is like 45mins away so that sucks lol.
That sounds awesome. Though the lack of a Taco Bell is a major bummer indeed.

People didn't like the beta? Halo 5 was awesome and a huge improvement.
From my understanding the reaction was largely positive. Proven is just kind of a singularity of salt.

Speaking of which wasn't Ragnarok's ban only 3 months? If so...

Length doesn't matter. It's what you do with it.
Rockin' the boat

I won't be reserving, but I'll get it on launch day. Probably digitally. I gotta have that campaign, yo.
Ditto.
Speaking of campaign stuff, how long would y'all like the campaign to be? I feel like anything shorter than Halo 2 is too short. I want a Halo game that will last me several hours, not just a handful.

Well, longer is better, generally, so there's that. Really, I just want them to emphasize the wide open spaces from CE and 3, the stuff that allowed the emergent gameplay to really shine.

So, I suppose more than a long campaign, I want long missions.

DJ Gunner

Eh, salty as Proven may be, I don't think he's wrong. I think the population of 5 is going to tank just like 4 did, for many of the same reasons.

As far as campaign, Halo 4's was pretty and had great gunplay (aside from fighting knights)- but beyond that the writing and story were painful. The original arc certainly had weaknesses, but 4 felt totally like amateur hour in comparison. It killed any interest I had in future campaigns from 343, honestly.

343's goal from the outset seems to have been to make Halo as different from Bungie's as possible while still retaining the name and Chief- and in that, they certainly have succeeded.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly sick of traditional Halo campaign gameplay. I enjoy the existing campaigns to varying degrees, but I want something different from future campaigns. The idea of slogging through another long Halo campaign just sounds totally unappealing to me.

daedalius

Eh, salty as Proven may be, I don't think he's wrong. I think the population of 5 is going to tank just like 4 did, for many of the same reasons.

4 launched with all sorts of issues that are not present in H5.

I remember 5 shot BRs, DMR dominance, random ordnance, boltshot ridiculous range (still ridiculous), etc.

Also, we've already had a beta of 5, its pretty clear what we can expect. There was no beta for 4, and it suffered because of it.

Am I crazy, or does ODST look WAY too bright? They put this out:
halo-the-master-chief-collection-odst-plaza-57e9952a83574ef8b87f5d19df5150ee.jpg

But I remember it looking more like this:

I really hope that's fixed. The lighting and atmosphere of ODST was fantastic, and was also a gameplay mechanic due to VISR.

HTupolev

I'd bet the top is with visr on.
No, VISR looks completely different. There's extreme grading and objects have colored outlines.

Anyhow, I wish I had a good HDMI capture card. Photomode isn't quite precise, but here it is:

OG photomode no lightning:
O3YBbf3.jpg

OG photomode at peak of a lightning strike:
W683PyF.jpg

New image:
halo-the-master-chief-collection-odst-plaza-57e9952a83574ef8b87f5d19df5150ee.jpg

FyreWulff

it is WIP....

Maybe it's brightened up to counter the One's black crush?

I'd also expect them to give the Rookie better finger textures. Those fingers look near comical these days. You can usually leave textures alone but those ones are on the screen in your face all the time, so i'd think people would understand if they were updated.

Mix

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 343 come out and say at some point that the canonical reason most of the covenant look different in 4 is because they're different species? Like how Jackals and Skirmishers are the same but different? This has me holding out hope for a return of the old designs.

I really want to get back into Halo, but don't have the time to play too much right now. Any good recaps on what's been going on?

I hear MCC is finally working?

No, VISR looks completely different. There's extreme grading and objects have colored outlines.

Anyhow, I wish I had a good HDMI capture card. Photomode isn't quite precise, but here it is:

OG photomode no lightning:
O3YBbf3.jpg

OG photomode at peak of a lightning strike:
W683PyF.jpg

New image:

Cool, I'm not loosing my mind! I really hope something funky was going on with that shot, and the game will retain the dark lighting.

It's just a weird way to present a first look.

Bahaha, this was stupid but great. That grunt CG looked nice.

And while I realize that is what old Grunts sounded like, I couldn't help but think of Pinocchio's voice from Shrek for some unknown reason .

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 343 come out and say at some point that the canonical reason most of the covenant look different in 4 is because they're different species? Like how Jackals and Skirmishers are the same but different? This has me holding out hope for a return of the old designs.

They said there are different phenotypes of species, but whether they'll capitalize in that is another story. I'm not completely cynical, since the Arbiter's Elites looked more like the classic models than the H4 models.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah that's about it. According to Frankie they were expanding the universe with these new types of Grunts. I just hope we get the original, funny, English speaking Grunts in again. I thought they were a laugh. If that happens fine with the new designs as well.

They said there are different phenotypes of species, but whether they'll capitalize in that is another story. I'm not completely cynical, since the Arbiter's Elites looked more like the classic models than the H4 models.
Here's hoping we don't just fight space Dino's in H5

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
That ad serves to remind everyone of how truly terrible the new Grunt design is. Terrible. Worse still when they nailed the voice. It's like Staten talking out of Gears of War's failed throw away character's asshole.

halo__s_grunts_from_1_4_by_sespider-d4x73i2.png

Trying to get into a match for over 10 minutes now. Got matched up twice and the match doesn't start in the H2A playlist. This game is still a disgrace.

Why is it still 5v5?
Where are the dedi's?
Ranks?
Fileshare?
Why do I have to research after every match? Wouldnt it make sense to keep those teams together?

singhr1

That ad serves to remind everyone of how truly terrible the new Grunt design is. Terrible. Worse still when they nailed the voice. It's like Staten talking out of Gears of War's failed throw away character's asshole.

halo__s_grunts_from_1_4_by_sespider-d4x73i2.png

Please don't act like early halo grunts were some sort of great design. They were cannon fodder and looked like plush toys.

-Ryn

Banned
Is it just me or did that voice not really sound like the original Grunts?

Reach Grunts = best Grunts

Reach art in general = best art
This guy gets it

Please don't act like early halo grunts were some sort of great design. They were cannon fodder and looked like plush toys.
They had a recognizable design with character.
Being cannon fodder doesn't make their design any less well done (and they actually look the part so points for that). Not sure how the original looks like a plush toy. Anything can look like a plush toy if you simplify its features enough.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Halo's designs were constantly refined through out the series.

The creative/artistic decision to change almost every visual and aural aspect of Halo across the board is a misguided attempt to "own" the series in Halo 4 was one of the worst decisions taken. The Grunt change was just a single example of a far greater mistake.

Reach absolutely nailed the Covenant save for possibly the Elites, but I think that lends itself more to Reach's art style. It's funny though, considering the concept art for them was absolutely perfect.

People who betray you to take the flag are the worst. I had 3 caps, get betrayed on the 4th and the guy who did it had 9 seconds of carry time.

Top Bottom