• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Hopefully they increase the walk speed. It was too slow to be able to strafe well during the beta.

Already confirmed.

On that ARG: Damn, I'm excited. I don't even care if it's a live-action trailer, I want more info noooooow. The bullet labeled "traitor" gives me a bunch of ideas about the direction they're taking the story, but they've mostly been discussed already. I'm awful at ARGs, though XD

On other stuff: dedis for customs, woo! I'm a little disappointed they didn't fly the all-stars over to 343 for this, would have eliminated the host issue (duh).

Ghazi

I wonder if the ARG is a lead up to the leaked trailer we saw. I miss Halo 2 Bees...

I can't recall what thread and what was said exactly, but Frankie said fans of BTB should have some very exciting things to look forward to in Halo 5. In his roundabout way.

BTB will probably be flat out Infinity variants and they won't have fixed spawning with plasma pistols and plasma grenades because BTB players apparently like that.

I wonder if the ARG is a lead up to the leaked trailer we saw. I miss Halo 2 Bees...

BTB will probably be flat out Infinity variants and they won't have fixed spawning with plasma pistols and plasma grenades because BTB players apparently like that.

I still want an Impersonal Ordnance perk that lets me call down a weapon pod that just looks like a Frag drop to enemy players, but if they try and steal the ordnance the pod violently explodes.

Impala26

I still want an Impersonal Ordnance perk that lets me call down a weapon pod that just looks like a Frag drop to enemy players, but if they try and steal the ordnance the pod violently explodes.

Oh so like The Dragon Rifle from Perfect Dark with proximity detonation?
(a secondary function let you discard the weapon as a proximity mine)

Was the lulz-iest thing in multiplayer with friends. I can dig this.

Nowise10

Halo 4 had its single player reveal as the Game Informer cover in March 2012. So Guardians is a bit late.

Halo 4 had its first ingame reveal in March of 2012 with its Making Halo 4 Vidoc. Then we also got specific details of Multiplayer and campaign from the Game Informer of May 2012. Not March.

Ampoc

Neo Member
Just thought about it, the trailer we're probably going to see (if it is a trailer countdown) is the one we saw very briefly at the beginning of this xbox video.

Seems pretty likely, that trailer looks polished but I'm just shooting guesses.

Being a halo story geek, I literally can not wait at all.

Akai__

Custom game browser would be HUGE for Halo.

Have all the MM playlists be ranked.

Custom games would be social.

Don't like the idea, because the host of the Custom Game Lobby will be able to kick people. It would create a similiar situation of Battlefield, where Server owners are behaving like dicks and kick people because they are too good.

I really don't want that and there should be an option to play Social Games on official servers.

belushy

Banned
Don't like the idea, because the host of the Custom Game Lobby will be able to kick people. It would create a similiar situation of Battlefield, where Server owners are behaving like dicks and kick people because they are too good.

I really don't want that and there should be an option to play Social Games on official servers.

Yeah that is a bad side effect to custom games browser. So annoying on PC and going to an opened server with no password and still get bitched at or kicked lol

Nowise10

You are saying you don't want a Custom game finder, because you might get kicked? Their is no logic in your argument, and I can't believe I am reading it. A custom game finder would replenish the dead custom game community, and would add thousands of hours of entertainment into Halo. But because the host might be a dick, we should cut it.

Unless you are referring to his exact idea, with matchmaking being ranked only, and not just to the idea of a custom game finder itself. Which even then, you could think of ways to fix what you don't like, before just throwing it away all together.

King Leo

Neo Member
Not sure if mentioned, but Halo 5 is confirmed to have dedis for customs. No P2P at all. Josh posted about it in the H5 thread on TB

Akai__

You are saying you don't want a Custom game finder, because you might get kicked? Their is no logic in your argument, and I can't believe I am reading it. A custom game finder would replenish the dead custom game community, and would add thousands of hours of entertainment into Halo. But because the host might be a dick, we should cut it.

Unless you are referring to his exact idea, with matchmaking being ranked only, and not just to the idea of a custom game finder itself.

I thought my last sentence would make that clear, but I'll gladly repeat it.

There should be official ranked and social servers and in addition to that there should be a Custom Game Browser. This way, everyone can get what they want.

Yeah that is a bad side effect to custom games browser. So annoying on PC and going to an opened server with no password and still get bitched at or kicked lol

It's really dumb and completely destroyed our BF3 experience, where there were no European Servers left and only Custom Servers existed.

Nowise10

There should be official ranked and social servers and in addition to that there should be a Custom Game Browser. This way, everyone can get what they want.

That was what i was thinking, I just wanted to be clear how bad I think Halo needs a Custom game finder. Inwhich I mostly agree with you, then.

Tawpgun

I thought about 343 putting a few social servers on rotating maps/gametypes.

But I don't want to take away from the main matchmaking experience. I want a healthy MM population. It's a side effect but whatever.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Custom game browser would be HUGE for Halo.

Have all the MM playlists be ranked.

Custom games would be social.
YESSSSS

I've only been playing Battlefield for the past two years so maybe the culture was different before, but that's rarely happened to me. Is it really that common?

Ah yeah, that'd be a decent compromise.

Akai__

I've only been playing Battlefield for the past two years so maybe the culture was different before, but that's rarely happened to me. Is it really that common?

Yeah. The BF3 Forum was filled with these complaints. Unfortunately, I experienced this a lot, because we really had a good Squad. It's not only about being kicked, but often the Server Owners/Moderators would switch you arround in the other team, so you had to play against your buddies. If you switched back, that would lead to getting kicked or being banned from the server immediately. Also, some Servers had ridiculous rules, like "No Stingers, SMAW's" on maps where you had 4 Tanks, 2 Jets, 2 Choppers and whatever else vehicle there was.

This was all, when they introduced the Custom Servers on the consoles. At that time, there was not a single official DICE Server active, since they didn't restrict the maximum amount of Custom Servers. Asia and USA still had a few, but the ping would be well above 200ms and that was literally unplayable. It got better over time, but I found it very stupid that they included Custom Browsers in the official matchmaking.

Again, that was just our experience back in the BF3 days and it's why I'm not a fan of including Custom Game Browsers/Servers into the official matchmaking. Make them seperate from each other and I'll love you.

Yeah. The BF3 Forum was filled with these complaints. Unfortunately, I experienced this a lot, because we really had a good Squad. It's not only about being kicked, but often the Server Owners/Moderators would switch you arround in the other team, so you had to play against your buddies. If you switched back, that would lead to getting kicked or being banned from the server immediately. Also, some Servers had ridiculous rules, like "No Stingers, SMAW's" on maps where you had 4 Tanks, 2 Jets, 2 Choppers and whatever else vehicle there was.

Do you think ratings for custom game hosts would help filter that? A 1-5 rating on the host once you leave.

Madness

It would be inevitable that a custom games browser would cannibalize a lot of ranked/social players, but it would still lead to a healthy multiplayer environment for Halo.

A solution would be to make the custom games browser the outlier. So that it's apart from 'matchmaking' which is ranked/social on the playlists, maps and gametypes 343 has.

I wish we could also have toggles or be allowed to search for specific things in custom games, ie. Slayer matches only, only Truth etc. Would be much easier to host customs matches too. Could just come here and say, guys I'm starting a lobby, search my gamertag and join up etc. This would obviously be a huge undertaking for 343 though.

Defect

So with Halo 5 customs being on dedis, does that mean you can't play it offline too?

And if the servers are down, you can't play anything with friends?

Akai__

So with Halo 5 customs being on dedis, does that mean you can't play it offline too?

And if the servers are down, you can't play anything with friends?

They will most likely have P2P fall-back. LAN could be a problem, but Split Screen should always work.

HTupolev

They will most likely have P2P fall-back. LAN could be a problem, but Split Screen should always work.
Only if we're talking about that XBL authorization nonsense. If peer-to-peer hosting is supported anyway, LAN should be a trivially easy networking case.

gAg CruSh3r

Only if we're talking about that XBL authorization nonsense. If peer-to-peer hosting is supported anyway, LAN should be a trivially easy networking case.

I hope so. I LAN with a lot of my friends every few months. It's been quite a hassle with the MCC but it's been a while since we LAN it tho. It might have changed :) since the last few updates :).

They need to implement join custom games in progress first to be able to have a custom games browser.

That said, the post about how fun and exciting to get randoms dropping in and out of your custom games? Yes, yes it was on H2, H3, Reach and H4! It was the ultimate viral experience to either leave your game open to everyone or friends, or flit from custom to custom games open on friend or recent players list.

I wanted to re-create my "All Day Sucker" game, all random weapons FFA with all the the random heavy vehicles I could shove onto Coagulation with unlimited time in a completely open custom game. It was how I celebrated getting my xbox 360 and a new job at the same time, while saying goodbye to Halo 2 back in 2007. It went all day long, people were jumping in, even WAITING to join, because I put the word out ahead of time to play with me on that date, and tell their Halo buddies to jump in. The party apparently went on a good hour after I signed off my original xbox for the last time. But on the MCC, 343 broke my Halo heart with no joining custom games in progress. WTH WTH WTH...

I could not have 2/3 of my curated Halo 3/Reach maps and gametypes and all the fun that went with them, without this one KEY ability.

Impala26

My wonderful workweek is almost over, so I'll use my final bit of time to post this again:

0qpMXne.jpg

We are looking to begin the festivities around 2pm EST tomorrow (Saturday 21st)

seriously think it's gonna happen this time guys!

So far besides myself, your likely raiders include:
My longtime non-GAF buddy (SAPsnake)
Daedalius
aHebrewMenagerie
RBK

Other potential raiders are:
Mix
Kittens
Willow ve
Tawpgun
and a handful of folks from DGAF who lurk here in HaloGAF

Anyone else who'd like in, just gimme a shout either here on Xbox Live. My GT is the same as my GAF name, Impala26. Just know that I'll be favoring the party to be first and foremost those who have yet to complete the Vault of Glass.

I'll be streaming the action here:
http://www.twitch.tv/impala426
(yes I'm aware there's a '4' in the name... name was already taken)

See yinz guys tamarrah HaloGAF!

Glass

So I've taken a bunch of screenshots in MCC. How do I find them online? My brother was in the country and we played a bunch of matchmaking together, haven't done that since Halo 3 days, he doesn't have a Xbone and I want to show him some cool shots of us in multiplayer.

Edit: Pics taken with theatre mode, not Xbox screenshots.

One of the few tracks where I preferred the classic version. Funny cause during my first H2A playthrough I was actually looking forward to that scene just to see how that piece would be remastered, but the vocals just seemed too loud.

This is likewise the only track where I prefer the original. Something about the reverb, general compression and synthy feel of the choir / pads just made everything in the original a lot more fluid. I personally feel like Heavy Price Paid as a composition really starts falling apart once you try using it in any other way.

Tawpgun

My wonderful workweek is almost over, so I'll use my final bit of time to post this again:

0qpMXne.jpg

We are looking to begin the festivities around 2pm EST tomorrow (Saturday 21st)

seriously think it's gonna happen this time guys!

So far besides myself, your likely raiders include:
My longtime non-GAF buddy (SAPsnake)
Daedalius
aHebrewMenagerie
RBK

Other potential raiders are:
Mix
Kittens
Willow ve
Tawpgun
and a handful of folks from DGAF who lurk here in HaloGAF

Anyone else who'd like in, just gimme a shout either here on Xbox Live. My GT is the same as my GAF name, Impala26. Just know that I'll be favoring the party to be first and foremost those who have yet to complete the Vault of Glass.

I'll be streaming the action here:
http://www.twitch.tv/impala426
(yes I'm aware there's a '4' in the name... name was already taken)

See yinz guys tamarrah HaloGAF!
I'll be there I think

Top Bottom