• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Madness

*insert Madness post where he prefers Halo 4 LR zoom to H5 LR zoom*

Still going to keep bringing that up? I said I don't like the scope on the screen. Plus I also had said, I would prefer the binary rifle version as well.

You said it's a mental issue for me, I think it's a mental issue for you guys who need the scope visible. Smart Scope is a regression in terms of field of view, usually information on screen, and in terms of lore, over what we already had. You'd think more shooters would realize, it's better to have a reticule on screen, as opposed to wasting precious screen space highlighting the gun model.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's cool to hear HaloGAF generally positive about a new Halo game again.

xalener

Neo Member
Still going to keep bringing that up? I said I don't like the scope on the screen. Plus I also had said, I would prefer the binary rifle version as well.

You said it's a mental issue for me, I think it's a mental issue for you guys who need the scope visible. Smart Scope is a regression in terms of field of view, usually information on screen, and in terms of lore, over what we already had. You'd think more shooters would realize, it's better to have a reticule on screen, as opposed to wasting precious screen space highlighting the gun model.

I gotta play devil's advocate for a bit. I actually am on the fence here myself. I don't think smart scope is too great the way it's handled now, but I never liked Halo's old scoping method either. I think something like how the H5 AR works (F.E.A.R/ Far Cry 1 zoom) would be better if that's just how zoom worked across the board.

There is more shit to consider though.
I'm sure it's been brought up that there's a chance this obscuring is part of re-balancing zoomed weapons to intentionally limit that fov.

Of course a clean simple unobscured reticle is better to shoot with. Question is, is that good for everyone? Should you be able to see so much of your peripheral vision when you've chosen to focus on one single target (that you should already have centered) by zooming in?

Why do you feel that you deserve peripheral vision while you're zoomed in? Why do you feel you deserve that advantage? Lore be damned. Futuristic settings be damned. Previous iterations of this system be damned. I'm solely talking about gameplay logistics here. Even though I could take it or leave it, I do think there's more to using ADS instead of a transparent scope than just aesthetics.

Karl2177

I gotta play devil's advocate for a bit. I actually am on the fence here myself. I don't think smart scope is too great the way it's handled now, but I never liked Halo's old scoping method either. I think something like how the H5 AR works (F.E.A.R/ Far Cry 1 zoom) would be better if that's just how zoom worked across the board.

There is more shit to consider though.
I'm sure it's been brought up that there's a chance this obscuring is part of re-balancing zoomed weapons to intentionally limit that fov.

Of course a clean simple unobscured reticle is better to shoot with. Question is, is that good for everyone? Should you be able to see so much of your peripheral vision when you've chosen to focus on one single target (that you should already have centered) by zooming in?

Why do you feel that you deserve peripheral vision while you're zoomed in? Why do you feel you deserve that advantage? Lore be damned. Futuristic settings be damned. Previous iterations of this system be damned. I'm solely talking about gameplay logistics here. Even though I could take it or leave it, I do think there's more to using ADS instead of a transparent scope than just aesthetics.
You want to balance zoomed engagements? Make it so the player getting zoomed at has a chance to defend themselves better instead of crippling the player zooming in. #BigMapBRStart

xalener

Neo Member
One type of weapon on one type of map?

That's boring.

I guess that's the version of Halo people here really tend to like though.

Smart Scope obstructing your view?

Simple fix: Enable motion tracker when Smart Scoping :] :] :]
Imagine a survival horror game set in the Halo universe similar to Aliens: Isolation. I would buy that in a heart beat.
Those halo waypoint motion comics are excellent. 343 Industries glory days. Mona Lisa, Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian, and the Return are fantastic short stories. I hope for another Evolutions. I feel like the short stories are the best way to adapt Halo lore to text (or comic). Little bite sized things that can be read on a break or on the pooper. And Halo Legends? Probably still my favourite expanded universe "piece". I don't even want to say how many times I've watched Origins looking for clues. That's the good stuff for sure.
Same here, with all of that lol. I'd definitely be interested in a Halo survival horror and I can't tell you how many times I've watched Halo Legends; Origins is great to watch several times.

Started to play again, since I have hope in the new patch coming,
gonna suck
. Tried some BTB but the search was taking too long. TS, however, I got games in less than 30 seconds.

J20GFhe.png

Where are all the real men!?

VinFTW

I find it hard to believe ADS has any negative effect on shooting or getting kills.

Regardless, options don't hurt anyone, having a classic scope toggle would be nice.

VinFTW

They made the gameplay worse to appeal to a group of people that don't play Halo.

Its a means to get more people into Halo. The classic scope looks dated and turns off a lot of casual players.

You'd be surprised how stuff like that makes Halo come off as dated and pushes people away (lack of sprint, classic scope, etc).

Not saying I want sprint or don't want a classic scope toggle, but it's the truth. At this point I just want Halo to grow and have more people play with.

I'd love HCS to have no sprint though...

VinFTW

Come on Vin. It's not happening.

Unless the differences between walking and sprinting are really small, then sure it could happen.

But then you'd have to ask "Why even have sprint?"

Well, I'd hope 343i would want to appease the competitive crowd, especially the pros. Not having them constantly complain about sprint, ultimately affecting the outlook and mindset on the game, would be nice. Though, I have to admit, if we can expect the same movement speed as Halo Online (yes I know they're not related) in Halo 5 due to the buffed speed, I'd be somewhat happy.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the Team Slayer or other non-HCS playlists. I'm specifically suggesting no sprint for the HCS playlist/settings.

There's certainly no advantages but...

Main reason why I find the complaining kind of silly.

Yeah, idk.

hopefully there's a second beta and then test out a toggle function. Have it something like the AR smart scope.

hell I'd be fine if I could make it slightly transparent

Come on Vin. It's not happening.

Unless the differences between walking and sprinting are really small, then sure it could happen.

But then you'd have to ask "Why even have sprint?"
So that 343 can remove it for Halo 6 because they attracted the new fans who initially thought sprint was needed. These fans will have experienced how unnecessary it is with faster movement speed in Halo 5.

It's a mind game, next level fan-conditioning. Grow the fanbase, then condition said fanbase with seemingly small, adaptable changes, fine tuning Halo to where it needs to be.

Ramirez

I bring it up because it just perfectly showed how it's all in your head. The Halo 4 LR zoom was extremely claustrophobic compared to H5's completely open view scope. Yet you preferred the one that had a ton of screen clutter, lol.

I don't care either way, the ADS in 5 was nothing like ADS in BF/CoD.

They made the gameplay worse to appeal to a group of people that don't play Halo.

Strange that it was the most fun I've had in Halo since 3 then!

Tawpgun

I prefer old zoom also.

It's just to me it was such a non issue I didn't care. If it helps more people play Halo then put it in. After a few games I forgot game even had ads other than the DMR scope.

I had a ton of fun with h5 and like the gameplay. It has it's issues from the beta but ads was pretty low on the list

I prefer old zoom also.

It's just to me it was such a non issue I didn't care. If it helps more people play Halo then put it in. After a few games I forgot game even had ads other than the DMR scope.

I had a ton of fun with h5 and like the gameplay. It has it's issues from the beta but ads was pretty low on the list

Pretty much my stance. It's not ideal, but it's just such a non-issue.

I started working on Gaflo again, in addition to my other project.

Some progress:
16957923651_e44db49824_b.jpg

Currently this is local only, but online shouldn't be too hard to get up and running since I have another project to draw from. As soon as I get animations and projectiles working I'd like to try a real online test with people.

EDIT:
16957997441_5d784d677e_h.jpg

15 players at once.

Akai__

Looks pretty cool. If you ever need people to test something, I'd be happy to help.

As long as it's in an european friendly time. :p

Madness

I bring it up because it just perfectly showed how it's all in your head. The Halo 4 LR zoom was extremely claustrophobic compared to H5's completely open view scope. Yet you preferred the one that had a ton of screen clutter[/b)] lol.

I don't care either way, the ADS in 5 was nothing like ADS in BF/CoD.

Strange that it was the most fun I've had in Halo since 3 then!

I said it was very sniper rifle-ish. You can say it gave you more tunnel vision which I'll agree. I also said it was the least offensive ADS scope in Halo 5. I will disagree with the clutter. It was just a clean scope, much like sniper, whereas the H5 was has these bright yellow beetle things that come in the corner, as well as the animation itself and the gun in the middle. Plus, I said the binary rifle was a better version etc.

You can say it doesn't bother you either way, but it's clear you really like the ADS, going so far as to say you liked it over what was in h2/h3 etc. I don't complain for the sake of it. When I talked about the loss of SPNKr rocket launcher, you said, who cares, does anyone care, but look, enough of us complained and we're getting it back as a legendary weapon at least. I'm not holding my breath they'll give us the toggle for classic/zoom, but I'm not just going to accept ADS, even if it's the least offensive way they could have made it.

Some progress:
16957923651_e44db49824_b.jpg

Currently this is local only, but online shouldn't be too hard to get up and running since I have another project to draw from. As soon as I get animations and projectiles working I'd like to try a real online test with people.

EDIT:
16957997441_5d784d677e_h.jpg

15 players at once.
Controller aim assist is gonna be a bitch

Ampoc

Neo Member
I love watching games develop from very early stages. Something about seeing everything pour together through time just simply interests me.

xalener

Neo Member

Some progress:

[/QUOTE]

Sweet, I was trying to do something like this myself. Hit a brick wall when I realized I'm not technically minded at all and can't into even the most basic of game logic.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ubr_9zJ3s"]I made a spartan and some animations tho[/URL]

xalener

Neo Member
lol

What do you mean by game logic? Like... designing mechanics or making it all work?

the second one

Like even blueprints, the easiest of visual scripting/ programming out there. I just can't get my mind into a space that would make me make it work :T

Ghazi

I would play with you and vote for BR starts but I'm terrible at this game now so you'd probably kick me.

You are lucky, when I have that kind of lag grenades magically appear next to my head.

Like this? Though, that might not have been him, I thought it was during the match.

gioBP3P.gif

Sweet, I was trying to do something like this myself. Hit a brick wall when I realized I'm not technically minded at all and can't into even the most basic of game logic.

I made a spartan and some animations tho

Is that in UE4? I thought about picking it up and giving it a try. Is that what you're using as well, Visceral?

xalener

Neo Member
Yep, it's all UE4.

Get it! Even if you're like me and can't actually make a game, it's a great tool, to make kick ass images with to showcase models and shit like that.

I made a spartan and some animations tho
Nice
Is that in UE4? I thought about picking it up and giving it a try. Is that what you're using as well, Visceral?
Yes.

Update -

Health "works" (does not recharge, no distinction between health and shield either, players don't really die yet).
16339210094_d0e070728a_o.gif

Guns work too, but I need to do a few more things before showing them.
They're not hitscan. They do have ricochet.

wwm0nkey

Nice

Yes/

Update -

Health works (does not recharge, no distinction between health and shield either, players don't really die yet).

Damn man, a lot of work for a few hours lol

-Ryn

Banned
Lookin' good Visceral

the second one

Like even blueprints, the easiest of visual scripting/ programming out there. I just can't get my mind into a space that would make me make it work :T
Well hey ya got the ability to create and animate models at least. Just gotta find some peeps who know their way around code
or just UE4

I'd like to create games eventually so I hope I can learn it. Sounds like a pain lol

wwm0nkey

Lookin' good Visceral

Well hey ya got the ability to create and animate models at least. Just gotta find some peeps who know their way around code
or just UE4

I'd like to create games eventually so I hope I can learn it. Sounds like a pain lol
It is a pain in the sense of what you code seems to make sense but it won't work and you want to eventually throw something out the window..... Then you find out it was a stupid mistake lol

Obscured

Like this? Though, that might not have been him, I thought it was during the match.

gioBP3P.gif

Exactly. Some games i feel like I know what I'm doing, others feel like I'm holding my gun backwards and others are like that with constant magic instantaneous deaths (but it has gotten a lot better lately for me and those laggy matches are rarer). I always try to err on the side of it probably being my fault, but sometimes it just feels like the game is screwing with me.

Nice

Yes.

Update -

Health "works" (does not recharge, no distinction between health and shield either, players don't really die yet).

Nice work. Looking into getting into UE4, but time is the enemy now. Probably would be a much better use of time than going random into matchmaking and getting annoyed by quitters and AFKers.

Welfare

I was speculating. The countdown changed, and ended 10 minutes ago. I was presuming that whatever was happening yesterday, is happening today. But nothing happened. Tomorrow will be the bananas.

My countdown is still going with 14 hours and 43 minutes left.

Top Bottom