• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

1425101861943_zpstchb0zjn.gif

um, what

You won't win this battle, Spartan.

Can't push back the tidal wave. 🌊 🌊 🌊

I might be alone in this, but I liked how Reach's magnum worked. I felt up close it would work wonders against a DMR, and then the further away you got, the more of a disadvantage you had.

I loved Reachs magnum. Never understood why they didn't keep it like that, five shots was perfect. Halo 4s isn't awful but six shots with eight bullets is just annoying. Inversely the CE pistol is a tad too strong, and like tawpgun said especially when teamshot.

But Reachs felt like it could keep up without overshadowing the rifles...almost like a secondary should be.

Sorry, I just think the BR is one of the worst things to happen to Halo. It represents everything I despise with where this franchise headed under Bungie's control. I never really felt like they cared for their competitive players (I mean, look at their first project after Halo..) and people often sweep this under the rug as if it's not a big deal lol. Halo 3 was the antithesis to everything people wanted and fought for during those three years of Halo 2, whether it was CE fans or people who wanted more from the slow, heavily aim assisted gameplay. What we got was a game that was even more inconsistent, by design no less, and another 3 years of wet farts BR's.

The BR sounds weak and is functionally weak. There's nothing interesting or skillful about it. The weapon has a long kill time and has a slow ROF, it's artificially weak instead of being an interesting weapon to use that has depth to master. When you "master" the BR, it's nothing magical. People aren't making BR montages, they never have.

Save the Magnum, save Halo multiplayer. Peace and LUV to all, including Bungie.

Sorry, I just think the BR is one of the worst things to happen to Halo. It represents everything I despise with where this franchise headed under Bungie's control. I never really felt like they cared for their competitive players (I mean, look at their first project after Halo..) and people often sweep this under the rug as if it's not a big deal lol. Halo 3 was the antithesis to everything people wanted and fought for during those three years of Halo 2, whether it was CE fans or people who wanted more from the slow, heavily aim assisted gameplay. What we got was a game that was even more inconsistent, by design no less, and another 3 years of wet farts BR's.

The BR sounds weak and is functionally weak. There's nothing interesting or skillful about it. The weapon has a long kill time and has a slow ROF, it's artificially weak instead of being an interesting weapon to use that has depth to master. When you "master" the BR, it's nothing magical. People aren't making BR montages, they never have.

The only BR I like is Halo 4's, and only when playing SWAT. I didn't play the H5 beta so I don't know how that one is. How is it in H5 compared to H4, MP diehards?

The only BR I like is Halo 4's, and only when playing SWAT. I didn't play the H5 beta so I don't know how that one is. How is it in H5 compared to H4, MP diehards?

The BR, specifically? Better. They could stand to punch up the sound, but other than that I preferred it.

In general, H5>H4 by something like an order of magnitude. Possibly more.

Impala26

I loved Reachs magnum. Never understood why they didn't keep it like that, five shots was perfect. Halo 4s isn't awful but six shots with eight bullets is just annoying. Inversely the CE pistol is a tad too strong, and like tawpgun said especially when teamshot.

But Reachs felt like it could keep up without overshadowing the rifles...almost like a secondary should be.

I agree. I think Reach's Magnum hit the "potent sidearm" niche about as perfectly as could be. Would pretty consistently dong with it over those using AR's. It actually was situational-ly decent in SWAT in confined areas due to it's greater ROF than the DMR.

Felt better than every BR before it. I actually liked it using as a pickup. I think Halo would work really well with an effective Magnum as your starting weapon and a beefier BR as a pickup.
thought my friend was joking when he said the anti-BR side of halo came outta the wood work after halo 4
Been a thing since 2004.

daedalius

I like giant handcannons better than rifles, so I can get behind this.

Giant handcannons and swords. At the same time.

Honestly, I think ditching the BR would be a better step. Have 1-2 SMGs somewhere in the middle of the map, everybody spawns with pistols only.

it'd definitely allow more map movement, felt like if your BR guy wasn't applying pressure to the other team's BR guy you couldn't move past the first fourth of the map.

I like giant handcannons better than rifles, so I can get behind this.

Giant handcannons and swords. At the same time.
I would love this lol. Halo got too cereal for its own good.. Needs more offensively huge weapons and vibrant colors on the maps! The fun Halo we deserve.
You should have... FUNKNOWN.

I grew up on the BR so I don't mind it that much, but an actually equivalent single-shot weapon would be better. ZB DMR came close.
hahah nice, and I agree with the ZB DMR. There was some skill to that weapon, but I can't recall exactly why it felt harder to use. They lowered the aim assist or was it because they increased movement speed? Either way, MLG Reach had potential and it's a shame the maps were so unappealing. Reach's art style screamed modern military to me, as if they were chasing that CoD crowd.

I think we need a game from an Elite's perspective so they can get away from human military design and do something out of the ordinary that fans can go into without any expectations. Mainline Halo games will always be tough to change up.

Trey

Bloom made the DMR frustrating more often than it should have been, but I could find even that iteration of the weapon enjoyable. It sounded powerful, it was single shot so each bullet felt important, it had that Ray Allen range.

I also thought it looked cool. Of course, it only got better when bloom was removed.

Did they even say it would add ranks to all playlist? I thought they said it would "improve the ranking", which sounds like it will only affect Halo 2 Anniversary Team Slayer.

Considering I still get matched with ridiculous disparities in ranks (I'm a 12 going against 48s? Fuck that), I'd rather they fix the ranking system first before enabling it across the rest of the playlists.

I think there was word of harsher quit penalties as well, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Akai__

I liked the Halo 3 BR the most by far.

Same. People can call it a "slot machine" all they want, but the bullet spread wasn't as bad as people claim. At a certain range it would spread more, but that's balance to me. Really don't want an other Halo Reach DMR scenario, where people can shoot you across the map without any problems.

Halo 3's netcode was a joke and I feel that's why people hate on the BR. Maybe it's also, because it isn't hitscan, but I'd take bullet travelling and leading your shots over hitscan on any day. Fuck hitscan, it's easy mode.

It sounded powerful, it was single shot so each bullet felt important, it had that Ray Allen range.
The making of a beautiful weapon, not this burst fire nonsense where you empty an entire magazine just to kill someone strafing 50ft. away.

Missing shots with the CE Magnum and ZB DMR felt like I was being outplayed, encouraging me to improve and be consistent, thus creating a rewarding experience. Halo 3's BR made me feel like I was watering my lawn with one of these:

normal_ian-symbol-spray-bottle.png

daedalius

Same. People can call it a "slot machine" all they want, but the bullet spread wasn't as bad as people claim. At a certain range it would spread more, but that's balance to me. Really don't want an other Halo Reach DMR scenario, where people can shoot you across the map without any problems.

Halo 3's netcode was a joke and I feel that's why people hate on the BR. Maybe it's also, because it isn't hitscan, but I'd take bullet travelling and leading your shots over hitscan on any day. Fuck hitscan, it's easy mode.

The bullet velocity is modeled so poorly in halo 3, that added to the fact the netcode is garbage is why the BR is a slot machine.

Bullets don't fly that slow!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on team single shot, too. Certain iterations of the BR are fun (Halo 2 and 4), but I still prefer the CE Magnum and ZB DMR.

I'm on team single shot, too. Certain iterations of the BR are fun (Halo 2 and 4), but I still prefer the CE Magnum and ZB DMR.
Yeah and look at the overwhelming number of people who were ecstatic about AR/Magnum starts because they're adamant about not repeating the same tired gameplay of BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR

It's not fluff or some misplaced BR hate, the weapon is probably doing more harm than good, all things considered.

The BR has spread : Players hate randomness in Halo.
The BR has a lot of aim assist : Players have been begging for a more skillful Halo for a long time.
The BR has a slow ROF/TTK : A weapon with a fast POTENTIAL kill time that takes a lot of skill to master is far more enjoyable and rewarding than a weapon with a slower TTK but easier to use in many situations.​

Make the BR a 3sk pickup with less aim assist than the H5 beta. What does this do?

Allows for a beefier Magnum. Increased Red Reticle Range, improved zoom instead of what we saw in the beta, etc.
Allows for useful automatics to stay.. useful. Surrounding sandbox is improved.
A 3sk BR translates into an average 4-6sk, and with the decreased aim assist landing that "Purrrrfect" 3sk will feel all the more satisfying.
A 3sk BR is something you would want to replace your Magnum with.
A 3sk BR with the obvious ability to sweep headshots as opposed to the Magnum is another reason you'd want to pick it up.
We finally return to the way Halo is meant to be played, AR/Magnum starts ;]​

So much potential, so much room for creativity.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I don't think that would work without decreasing the rof on both the BR and the magnum. But I'd be okay with keeping the BR as a pickup and making the magnum a bit stronger or improving the zoom.

Depends on how much they'd lower the aim assist. Rifles can be fully automatic, but if they're tough to use then that's the important balancing factor.

Example: CE Sniper. Some people use it on Chill Out because if your aiming is on point, it's an incredibly powerful weapon on any map. It's balanced by its skill curve.

Madness

Sounds like Halo 3 is still dead in the water. Shit. Thanks for the link.

And, even though it's hard to accept for some here, it's probably their most popular game as well. Just look at Ozzy results, he said he got 700+ people from waypoint, here, beyond etc. And Halo 3 was their most popular multi-player. And yet it's been honestly pathetic how poorly it's been handled in MCC. Launch maps and gametypes despite 2+ years of refinement by Bungie, audio is messed up, Forge is screwed up, it's missing from several playlists it should be in. It's like what are you doing?

Enough excuses. Going on almost 5 months now and yet supposedly they isolated the problem in November. Bravo has been saying the same thing verbatim since then too, about how they're working to get Halo 3 in blah blah. Shameful.

Welfare

And, even though it's hard to accept for some here, it's probably their most popular game as well. Just look at Ozzy results, he said he got 700+ people from waypoint, here, beyond etc. And Halo 3 was their most popular multi-player. And yet it's been honestly pathetic how poorly it's been handled in MCC. Launch maps and gametypes despite 2+ years of refinement by Bungie, audio is messed up, Forge is screwed up, it's missing from several playlists it should be in. It's like what are you doing?

Enough excuses. Going on almost 5 months now and yet supposedly they isolated the problem in November. Bravo has been saying the same thing verbatim since then too, about how they're working to get Halo 3 in blah blah. Shameful.

They don't give a shit. They just don't. Them going from weekly updates to "monthly" updates furthers this, and further continued silence is them only wanting to speak when they have PR ready to give out.

MCC is left out to dry while 343 as a whole gets ready for Halo 5. Hell they know they can get away with it since the game is "good" enough to be bundled. People will buy this leading up to Halo 5 and what will they do if they don't like MCC? Sell the Xbox? They're just going to buy one again for Halo 5, so why even bother.

Top Bottom