• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

AlStrong

Halo 4 is impressive in how well it tackles its polished-at-a-glance and lots-of-details goals,

Rocks!

Now we just need The Rock voicing a Spartan.

Halo doesn't need ultra high detail, it needs high-quality flair. Consistent and clean visual makeup, good dynamic lights, high-quality specular, and effects budget that can punch up the dynamics as needed.

And shadows. ._.

Would be fun if there were a skull that ramped up the particle generation by 7x.

HTupolev

The result looks incredibly detailed, but it actually sort of annoys me. It seems hard for rocks in that style to not be eye-catching when they shouldn't be, and everything is so dead-set on being authored like that. It seems closely tied to why the game looks so busy.

Reach's rock authoring beautifully nails the older rounded style, while also playing around with a lot of elements of the new style and smoothly working them in. The rock design can breathe.
Bungie went farther in the Halo 4 direction with Destiny, but still kept more blunted designs around.

And shadows. ._.
To be somewhat fair to Halo 4, Halo isn't really a series with perfect shadowing. Halo 4's shadows are more correctly lightmap-aware than Halo 3's, for instance, and actually do seem to have more coverage (i.e. corpses in Halo 3 really don't like to produce shadows).

That said, they're also often janky and inconsistent. Things like dynamic shadow resolution varying drastically by area, or the shadow on the first-person model looking generally nonsensical. And the pop-ins are obvious enough that sometimes you wonder if it would look better to simply not have the shadow in the first place.

Would be fun if there were a skull that ramped up the particle generation by 7x.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljWIj8qNfZo

Chitown B

Haven't played in months, wanted to play for a bit before bed today.

I'm stuck on "Downloading latest data".

JPSPIRL.gif

This fucking game, I swear. Nothing ever fucking works, it's always a struggle to play this shit.

pretty sure that's the error where you just need to hard reboot and it's fine.

Blueblur1

I started playing MCC this weekend. I decided to stick with H2 MP and H2A. H3 feels way too slow and the BR is frustrating. My experience in H3 matches left me thinking "I can't believe I played H3 for all those years".

daedalius

Arbiter kills billions, gets a pass. Halsey kidnaps kids who eventually save humanity from Extinction: BITCH YOU IS MENGELE YOU IS EVIL. Have some consistency at least.

Who exactly is going to prosecute the Arbiter, aka: Leader of the Allied Elite faction?

UNSC military police just gonna roll up and cuff him for war crimes? Yea, I can see that going down totally well.

Also the Mengele reference was a single character perspective.

Who exactly is going to prosecute the Arbiter, aka: Leader of the Allied Elite faction?

UNSC military police just gonna roll up and cuff him for war crimes? Yea, I can see that going down totally well.
Nah I think ONI would go as far as hire an elite to assassinate him.

daedalius

Nah I think ONI would go as far as hire an elite to assassinate him.

I suppose they might find a splinter faction willing to do that for them, but damn, what a mess if word of that got out.

That might just be too much trouble for them (ONI and the UNSC) to deal with in their current situation. They need the Arbiter's elites to be a strong ally.

Promoting warfare and squabbling within the Sanghelli and old Covenant races is one thing, assassinating the leader of the faction you are allied with is another.

Fuchsdh

I suppose they might find a splinter faction willing to do that for them, but damn, what a mess if word of that got out.

That might just be too much trouble for them (ONI and the UNSC) to deal with in their current situation. They need the Arbiter's elites to be a strong ally.

That's the thing, the UNSC at large wants and needs the Arbiter, but ONI has been playing its own game and trying to destabilize the Elites behind Hood &c.'s back—they want the Covenant ideally fighting each other until the end of time.

Karl2177

I started playing MCC this weekend. I decided to stick with H2 MP and H2A. H3 feels way too slow and the BR is frustrating. My experience in H3 matches left me thinking "I can't believe I played H3 for all those years".
It's 100% due to the FoV. My roommate and I were doing split screen and H2C and H3 were the best experiences we had. I went in Theatre afterwards and watching H3 in the full 16:9 felt so damn sluggish.

HTupolev

It's 100% due to the FoV. My roommate and I were doing split screen and H2C and H3 were the best experiences we had. I went in Theatre afterwards and watching H3 in the full 16:9 felt so damn sluggish.
Imagine 2007 when most were still on 4:3 CRTs. The split-screen didn't pillarbox, and the increase to FoV over single-player fullscreen was astronomical.

dwells

I regret buying my Xbox One as well. Every multiplatform is worse than PS4, losing out on games like Bloodborne and Street Fighter V, but hey, at least I can play Halo 5 (with sprint and ADS). It's just gathering dust as I finish off my x360 backlog now. I lucked out with a lot of deals around the time I got my sunset one, but I think about trading it in or selling it all the time. MCC killed so much of my Halo love/hype. Buying Halo 5 would be more out of habit and what is expected than what I really want. Probably will be the first Halo game since Halo 2 I also don't do midnight launch for.
I'm probably going to wind up getting a Wii U. Lots of games I want to play and Yoshi's Wooly World looks goddamn adorable and like something the girlfriend and I can just relax on the couch and play for a half hour at a time or so which is nice.

On a side note, is there anyone her who actually isn't buying Halo 5? There's lots of complaints about MCC and how horribly 343 has handled it, yet it seems like just about everyone is picking up H5.

HTupolev

On a side note, is there anyone her who actually isn't buying Halo 5? There's lots of complaints about MCC and how horribly 343 has handled it, yet it seems like just about everyone is picking up H5.
I might get it if the reviews are great.

I'm definitely not getting it at launch, though.

Impala26

Nah, it's a 3rd-person MMO. Tho Diablo is good too.

I probably wouldn't give Destiny a shot at all if it wasn't an FPS. Being Bungie made helps that too.

I only really play FPS or simulation games anymore. Cities Skylines is a pretty fantastic game and way better than the travesty that was ultimately Maxis' last game (RIP)

Destiny is grindy and shallow to be sure, but the shooting mechanics are so tight and the (fairly) open environment is so chill that it's like Zen to me at this point.

Halo will always be my bae though.

I probably wouldn't give Destiny a shot at all if it wasn't an FPS. Being Bungie made helps that too.

I only really play FPS or simulation games anymore. Cities Skylines is a pretty fantastic game and way better than the travesty that was ultimately Maxis' last game (RIP)

Destiny is grindy and shallow to be sure, but the shooting mechanics are so tight and the (fairly) open environment is so chill that it's like Zen to me at this point.

Halo will always be my bae though.

Fair 'nuff.

Karl2177

I'm not at launch. Halo 5 Beta didn't win me over and the MCC's current status is still pretty pitiful.

wwm0nkey

I'm probably going to wind up getting a Wii U. Lots of games I want to play and Yoshi's Wooly World looks goddamn adorable and like something the girlfriend and I can just relax on the couch and play for a half hour at a time or so which is nice.

I'm not at launch. Waiting a week or two for impressions. I know MCC had 3 studios on it at once but I still need to make sure it actually works

King Leo

Neo Member
I've already pre-ordered not one, but two limited collector editions and am planning to sprint three miles to my local gamestop to pick it up.

All kidding aside, I'll be buying it on launch day because I'm a sucker for the lore. Not pre-ordering this time. #neverforget

I've already pre-ordered not one, but two limited collector editions and am planning to sprint three miles to my local gamestop to pick it up.

All kidding aside, I'll be buying it on launch day because I'm a sucker for the lore. Not pre-ordering this time. #neverforget

*sigh* Yeah... I'll probably pick it up digital day 1 just for the campaign. Unless that $250 edition is a must have thing, which I doubt.

DJ Gunner

I'm not buying it- ever. 343 have, imo, consistently proved that they have absolutely no idea how to make a Halo game, or re-release existing ones, for that matter. Everything that has the 343 stamp on it, frankly, fucking sucks. I realize this is harsh and not a popular opinion round these parts, but after three subsequent releases where each sucked an order of magnitude worse than the last, I'm done giving them money.

Ghazi

If they fix MCC, I'll buy it. If not, my roommate's going to be buying it so I'll play his copy. Might get rid of the bone for a ye olde quatro at some point. MCC was the only reason I bought a One.

J4mm1nJ03

I was pretty unimpressed with Halo 4s Art. There's something about the graphics in that game that just feel 'off'. It's feels stale and plastic? I don't know how to explain it.

This is kind of how I've felt about a lot of what 343 has put out, though I think in my case it may be more of an art issue than a graphical one. Lately when playing H2A MP I seem to come off thinking that it looks more busy and cluttered than I would like it to be.

Halo 3 looks very clean, on the other hand. The textures and geometry may be a bit simple by today's standards but I never have trouble reading things immediately. I didn't get to play the Halo 5 beta however, so things may be better there.

Well I think 343 has campaign done right. Halo 4 SP was an enigma in terms of design. But now I think they got just the right idea how Halo is supposed to look and feel about now. Although MP leaves me to still question how they'll work that out since it felt like pulling teeth just to have feedback acknowledged to better MP with 4 until they started putting out Throwdown, Ricochete, and Turbo update which bettered MP overall. Dlc maps didn't really caught my full attention, imho. Still have to wait and see I guess. Halo 5 Beta looked pretty impressive.

Ghazi

I wish 343 would do less outsourcing and more stuff in house. H4 was rife with it, MCC was pretty much all outsourcing. Haven was one of their actual creations, right? I want more stuff like that out of them. I know Bungie did it as well (who doesn't?), but it all came together pretty well and it, seemingly, wasn't as much as 343 outsources. Certain Affinity is ok, but I'm not a huge fan of their work.

I wish 343 would do less outsourcing and more stuff in house. H4 was rife with it, MCC was pretty much all outsourcing. Haven was one of their actual creations, right? I want more stuff like that out of them. I know Bungie did it as well (who doesn't?), but it all came together pretty well and it, seemingly, wasn't as much as 343 outsources. Certain Affinity is ok, but I'm not a huge fan of their work.

That does seem to be what they're doing this time around. The H5 maps were done in-house, and they all played pretty well (53% win statistic aside).

Everything H5 is done inhouse at 343. Quinn confirmed that to me when the beta was around. IMO it felt like that. The maps were really made around the new abilites etc.

Unlike H4 stuff which felt cluttered and without any plan.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Y'all buying Halo 5 at launch are the reason MCC is such an abomination

Redbox it then decide if it's worth your money

Booshka

I'll watch the story on Youtube.

Hope there is decent snow up in the Sierra's for you this Tuesday, if you are still working resorts and shit.

I'll be watching Streams for Halo 5, like I've been doing for MCC, don't even have a PS4 right now, Xbone is way down the line, if ever. Getting a PS4, then upgrading GFX card in PC, Xbone, uhhh, why.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna be realistic here: there's no way I'm not buying Halo 5 at launch. If it sucks then I'll sell my copy. No biggie.

Madness

Still debating it myself. If MCC is still messed up, no ranks, still a lot of major issues beyond summer and into fall, I probably won't just out of principle. There's a lot of apathy for Halo 5. Some seem to think it's the greatest thing ever, and some played it and went meh and don't really know if they want it. Still don't really want it myself. Going to have to wait and see what campaign is like, whether Infinity is returning, what other changes they've made to BTB.

With Battlefront coming, there isn't any real urgency to get Halo 5 as well, my shooter/multi-player fix will probably be satiated with that game.

belushy

Banned

I want to play it for sure. I don't know if I'll get it at launch though.

Already preordered, day one for me. I'm not worry about it. 343i knows they fucked up with MCC, and I can't see it happening it again. Also we played the beta and it was extremely solid for it being almost a year out.

Still debating it myself. If MCC is still messed up, no ranks, still a lot of major issues beyond summer and into fall, I probably won't just out of principle. There's a lot of apathy for Halo 5. Some seem to think it's the greatest thing ever, and some played it and went meh and don't really know if they want it. Still don't really want it myself. Going to have to wait and see what campaign is like, whether Infinity is returning, what other changes they've made to BTB.

With Battlefront coming, there isn't any real urgency to get Halo 5 as well, my shooter/multi-player fix will probably be satiated with that game.

Im not really sure about H5. The Beta left me unimpressed. Yes it was a improvement over H4, but that isnt that hard.
H4 campaign was a clusterfuck story wise. And this two teasers for H5 were IMO boring too.
Im interested in that Locke part.
I really have to see some Campaign gameplay. And i hope some kind of coop mode besides Campaign Coop is in. Firefight or something would be cool to see again.

I really wonder how the multiplayer is going to play now with all the Covennant and Promethean weapons. I wonder what they have dont to these.

Already preordered, day one for me. I'm not worry about it. 343i knows they fucked up with MCC, and I can't see it happening it again. Also we played the beta and it was extremely solid for it being almost a year out.

Wjy preorder something you really dont know much about besides some part of the MP? And with how slow 343 is working on MCC, they probably stopped caring about the MCC playerbase. Yay new Patch this month, but there is still so much to do for MCC, that thing wont be fixd and improved until Fall or later lol
And at that time? Star Wars time for me.

I will maybe get H5 for the campaign and some mp, but the game im hyped and excited for is Battlefront.

Top Bottom