• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Ninja is one the most exciting players to watch because he uses the Sentinel Beam (deeper meaning here). I think he's a good representation of the 2015 Halo fan that wants this franchise to succeed, but not with the sluggish gameplay of H2A and limited mentality of classic Halo competitions of BR ONLY, NO ITEMS, NO AUTOMATICS, NO NOTHING, FOX ONLY, BROWN SYMMETRICAL MAPS ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION

Competitive Halo (translate: or simply Halo, because Halo at its core is competitive since it's not an easy shooter to pick up and play for an unfamiliar player) needs more diversity in its maps, weapons and players for the fans to cheer for. It needs to have motion tracker removed from matchmaking so the wider demographic can understand what it takes to be a competitive player, thereby increasing interest in competitive Halo (hopefully). Halo still has a watered down sandbox when the concept of weapons with fast potential kill times with higher average kill times would better suit more skill-based, rewarding gameplay. Halo could be in a much better position than it is.

Halo devs could have done a better job of grooming its fanbase to support competitive play, and still no CGB or way to match up with randoms outside of matchmaking is clear proof of that, sorry to say. 343 is doing better though with those tutorial vids and constantly improving production values of tournaments, so they know what it takes but they have to stay on top of it.
At some Titanfall panel at pax east one year they said they wanted to do matchmaking with hashtags.

So basically say you want to organize a GAF only lobby. Just set your hashtag to #TitanGAF and you'd be matched up with people that also have that.

Now imagine you can do that for customs. Make a lobby and enable matchmaking with a password. #zombies and just play infection customs.

Hire me fire grizz
Looks interesting.

-Ryn

Banned
That Halo Online gameplay is looking fun. Russia has some good times ahead (though the micro transactions might spoil that a bit). Now let's see if MS will change their game plan regarding its release.

I'm dying to see what adjustments 343 have made to H5 since the beta. If they show campaign instead of multiplayer awesomeness at E3 I will be very sad...

From the last time I played, they basically "fixed" the issue with lack of content. They even added new gametypes, a firefight-esque mode, more burn cards, an in-game currency system, Titan emblems, an in-game ranking system, and fixed a lot of bugs, and that's all free updates. Only things being bought are maps.

Campaign was fine for what it was. However, they attempted to do a full campaign, but budget and time would not allow that to happen.

I'm sure they know what they need to do with Titanfall 2.
343 can learn a lot from Respawn. Reliable dedicated servers, ranking done well, fast as hell matchmaking (even with low population), actually getting dlc maps in mixed playlists, free updates adding new features and content, the list goes on.

The population did drop but I don't have trouble even now finding matches quickly (XB1 btw). Titanfall 2 I'm sure will be a huge upgrade and Vince Zampella seems to be open to the idea of doing free map dlc. In the article he also states that he would have made changes to campaign if he could have. He said he wouldn't have changed the approach of going multiplayer only, which is fine by me.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/titanfall-2-confirmed-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-pc
Sounds like the game has fixed a lot of its launch issues so hurray. Perhaps I'll pick it up again (loved the gameplay but it had the Destiny problem). The free DLC maps is definitely something developers should be doing. Good to hear Respawn are looking into that for T2.

I guess I remembered that bit regarding campaign wrong so thanks for the correction. Though I'd still argue that going multiplayer only (assuming they do for T2) is a big mistake and wasted potential for what Titanfall can do. If they want to do a campaign it shouldn't be a throwaway side project on multiplayer maps. If it's a $60 game (which of course it will be) I think it needs to have an offline component. Still though, I look forward to seeing what they do.

It'll be really great when the top trending gametype is #butts
I support this

VinFTW

Regardless of what anybody says, I'd LIKE Halo to be big again and I'd LOVE if it were the biggest FPS again (unlikely). At the end of the day though, as long as it has a healthy population (finding games in MM) and solid professional play/leagues, I'll be happy.

I can't see us going down any further than this disastrous last few years and I know that this is a dumb thing to say (rightfully so), but I'm ready to be happy about Halo again.

I'm just tired of the bandwagon hate, both deserved and undeserved.

Halo 5 is my personal last chance for Halo to continue being a part of my gaming options.

Freedom in its gameplay. Freedom of expression and creativity. Freedom.

It's what Halo has always been about. It will rise again.

Would it even be possible to package up those 4 new Halo 3 maps (Turf, "Edge", "Reactor", and Sandvalanche) and sell them as a map pack for Halo 3 in MCC? I'd buy it.

edit: because we're probably never going to be able to have forge maps in matchmaking or proper customs, etc etc...

Would it even be possible to package up those 4 new Halo 3 maps (Turf, "Edge", "Reactor", and Sandvalanche) and sell them as a map pack for Halo 3 in MCC? I'd buy it.
Would love for any updates to these games. Red X's and an in-game clock for CE would help everyone with timing. Halo 2&3 a DMR. Halo 4 descope.

And did you just mention paying for a map pack, in 2015? I know that was just a silly little mistake ;b
lol

Would love for any updates to these games. Red X's and an in-game clock for CE would help everyone with timing. Halo 2&3 a DMR. Halo 4 descope.

And did you just mention paying for a map pack, in 2015? I know that was just a silly little mistake ;b
lol

The best thing out of Halo Online that I've seen so far is the Hitscan Halo 4 BR in Halo 3. Most everything else has me scratching my head for now.

Yeah yeah I'm part of the problem. I HATE map packs and what they do for the longevity of Halo games... but I'll still buy every damn one that they release because... Halo... :/

Ghazi

Is Halo 2 Campaign Co Op bugged? I know that a partner dying in H2 made you restart from last checkpoint, but why add all those co op skulls that don't work if they weren't changing it. A couple of them literally talk about the other player getting buffed or debuffed for a short while when the other player is dead. The Iron skull is useless, as well, since it's already on. Makes no sense, mang.

New MCC update is out?

Not for me, was just on and got no prompt.

5 cap CTF is excruciating. Too long to play, too long to watch. I hate how competitive Halo matches have turned into endurance tests. I wonder if 343 has been looking at the psychology of long matches and that tense/pressure feeling players get from an ordinary Halo match.

zzzzzzz

EDIT: CE BTB CTF with motion tracker is impossible to end before the time runs out.
EDIT 2:
sbdnI4z.jpg

100-98
Intense match on Perdition (fun H4 BTB map for the 5 of us who played it as H4 DLC), but for the wrong reasons lol
facepalm.png
-- Halo 4 BTB can be pretty fun.

Karl2177

Is Halo 2 Campaign Co Op bugged? I know that a partner dying in H2 made you restart from last checkpoint, but why add all those co op skulls that don't work if they weren't changing it. A couple of them literally talk about the other player getting buffed or debuffed for a short while when the other player is dead. The Iron skull is useless, as well, since it's already on. Makes no sense, mang.

Iron did nothing in the original Halo 2.

Blueblur1

Just want to mention that I don't get the fascination with a custom games browser. I hate browsing for a server or room because you waste time looking for a good ping and then the people you end up playing with may not want to play what you want to play or they're asses. I'll take matchmaking every time just avoid that hassle.

Magwik

Banned
Just want to mention that I don't get the fascination with a custom games browser. I hate browsing for a server or room because you waste time looking for a good ping and then the people you end up playing with may not want to play what you want to play or they're asses. I'll take matchmaking every time just avoid that hassle.
Options.

Welfare

Say you want to play Fat Kid. Instead of sending 15 other people invites and hoping they join, you can just search for a Fat Kid lobby.

Omni

A custom games browser doesn't replace matchmaking.

About as much as customs has generally "hurt" matchmakings population in previous games.

So none.
Not to mention it would attract more players to Halo in general. People would stick around for longer and be more inclined to actually interact with one another lol

Could build new relationships, helping communities prosper. Don't be like Nintendo and deny us of friendship. We just want to share the love.

H O G W A R S B O Y S [ Halo CE ]

Description:
FFA BG, Warthogs
Max 4-6 players
Short details from host: Everybody Camo, splatters/melee only
Press Y for more details

There's unlimited potential with a CGB. It may be too late for Halo 5 if this wasn't a priority, so please save Halo 6.

Omni

I just want a population counter in Halo 5. I have no idea if the playlist I'm searching is empty or what in the MCC. It's especially frustrating when matchmaking was broken for so long.

If they're worried about more population graphs :)lol) they could just add a little indicator saying whether playlist populations are healthy or low instead of hard numbers. Blah

Welfare

I just want a population counter in Halo 5. I have no idea if the playlist I'm searching is empty or what in the MCC. It's especially frustrating when matchmaking was broken for so long.

If they're worried about more population graphs :)lol) they could just add a little indicator saying whether playlist populations are healthy or low instead of hard numbers. Blah

Do what Halo Wars did. All playlists would show actual numbers, and when a playlist went below a certain number, it would say "low".

343, stop taking away important info.

Top Bottom