• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Gw4uqj.gif

You know I wonder if 343 would have pursued the Palmer / Locke angle so heavily if they had stuck with the recasted Chief.

I don't have much to say on the trailer. There's some potential for campaign excitement (provided they know how to make it rewarding and not just hyper active).
I squint at the implication of destructible environments and going by previous hype mistakes, know that if there at all, it will be limited. Not that there aren't great gameplay reasons to not have destructible environments, but with scenes like that it can make it self implied / missed.

Cynical Trigger alert below:
I did get a chuckle out of seeing Locke kill Covvies. Woohoo! More Covenant! YEEAAAAH. SIGN ME UP. SHIP IT EVERY YEAR TILL I DIE.

And starting the pre-order bonus train, mhmm. ODST armour set exclusive to a different retailer perhaps? Hell, you could do the Noble Team individually to a bunch of retailers.

You can have that one for free. #hireSatan

I think people are reading too much into that trailer thinking there will be destructible environments. Trailer was pretty cool though. I still wish ground pound wasn't in the game, keeping things simple is better, ground pound just muddles things. At best, it's used for humiliation kills in the same light assassinations are used.

I think people are reading too much into that trailer thinking there will be destructible environments. Trailer was pretty cool though. I still wish ground pound wasn't in the game, keeping things simple is better, ground pound just muddles things. At best, it's used for humiliation kills in the same light assassinations are used.
Destructible environments to some degree would be cool.

Speaking of DESTRUCTION, I really hope there's an option for indestructable vehicles and floaty physics for vehicles, similar to gravity settings etc. for multiplayer.

Basically what I'm saying is Hog Wars needs to return.

EDIT:
To be fair, this wouldn't be the first time a cgi trailer showcased new additions that seemed a bit out there.
THAT MYSTERIOUS X BUTTON HAS TO BE SPRINT!
Too bad it wasn't, Halo 3 could have used it. pwn.

-Ryn

Banned
Destructible environments to some degree would be cool.
I think the key factor would be clearly indicating what can and can't be destroyed so you're not hiding behind what you think is a safe piece of cover only to have a giant mortar blow you to hell.

I think people are reading too much into that trailer thinking there will be destructible environments.
To be fair, this wouldn't be the first time a cgi trailer showcased new additions that seemed a bit out there.

I'm saying Halo has failed at a campaign level implementing these new ideas in action. The AA's and such were never an integral part of the gameplay. I'm just really tired of straight forward shooting in FPS campaigns at this point.

343i could have added all abilities in one AA some extend in SP like COD does, adding some AA mechanics unique to Campaign.

I think the key factor would be clearly indicating what can and can't be destroyed so you're not hiding behind what you think is a safe piece of cover only to have a giant mortar blow you to hell.
Yeah, but it's a can of worms.
Do you paint these walls a certain colour? Do you have it be an icon in detective mode so the player is switching that on every time they enter a room? Why can I smash through all these big walls and not this puny one?

If it's not in the game it shouldn't have been in the trailer. (mostly, I can't absolutely condemn them for it, but I don't like, especially since it's all about demonstrating how "cool" you can be in game)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really care about destructible environments, but I could definitely see that being a new twist in BTB.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah, but it's a can of worms.
Do you paint these walls a certain colour? Do you have it be an icon in detective mode so the player is switching that on every time they enter a room? Why can I smash through all these big walls and not this puny one?

If it's not in the game it shouldn't have been in the trailer. (mostly, I can't absolutely condemn them for it, but I don't like, especially since it's all about demonstrating how "cool" you can be in game)
You'd probably want to avoid glowy/shimmering walls. Perhaps it could be certain types of material or types of structures. If there's a detective mode it could be outlined with a certain color or an icon like you said.

Consistency is important so as to avoid arbitrarily being able to blast through one part of a wall but not the other despite them being the same type of wall.

I don't really care about destructible environments, but I could definitely see that being a new twist in BTB.
Just imagine what it could mean for assault/invasion

Speaking of DESTRUCTION, I really hope there's an option for indestructable vehicles and floaty physics for vehicles, similar to gravity settings etc. for multiplayer.

Basically what I'm saying is Hog Wars needs to return.
Vehicle traits really would be awesome to customize. It doesn't even need to be super in depth. Just making all the Warthogs on a map indestructible with a, b, or c type physics would be cool.

Do the same for explosives like setting whether grenades can be triggered by x or y.

EDIT:
THAT MYSTERIOUS X BUTTON HAS TO BE SPRINT!
Too bad it wasn't, Halo 3 could have used it. pwn.
LOL

Campaign going balls to the wall with new abilities?...Hell yes! Go nuts, you've got me loving everything in that trailer with the exception of that shit voice over.

-Ryn

Banned
It seems like they might be buffing the abilities for campaign (which I wouldn't really mind). It may not have been gameplay but that really painted a lovely picture for that whole jet fighter tank vision.

Ground pound radius looked about right, hope we'll be able to spartan charge banshees to bring them down.
I wonder if we can Spartan Charge through walls.

I was thinking you could mark destructible walls/objects in the VISR thing Locke pulled up, for additional flanking opportunities in Campaign. Either Spartan Charge to 1-hit them or use multiple melees if you don't want to back up and get a running start. Maybe have heavy weapons work too?

It's a gorgeous trailer though, very nice looking. Loved the lighting.

And the superior Jackal designs.

Ghazi

I doubt there'll be destructible environments in the game. If there were, it would probably be minimal or mostly scripted stuff. If they want scale, high res, and 60 fps then I can't see it happening. That was some anime tier shit, though.

Welfare

I doubt there'll be destructible environments in the game. If there were, it would probably be minimal or mostly scripted stuff. If they want scale, high res, and 60 fps then I can't see it happening. That was some anime tier shit, though.

Campaign could always be restricted to 30 FPS.

Ramirez

As for the last line, I think it's an unwise idea to look at a franchised game(whose premise is based on a combat loop of 30 seconds of fun) to not be "straight forward shooting". That or you're just getting old.

So the series can't evolve from a campaign standpoint? Of course you keep the focus of the game on shooting, but I don't see any reason you can't add abilities and environment puzzles to switch things up. Especially when you're unveiling a trailer like the Locke one that emphasizes his strength/agility/move set.

I dunno, FPS campaigns just bore me to tears at this point, I'd like to see one of these companies try and expand beyond a 30 second combat loop for 8 hours.

daedalius

So the series can't evolve from a campaign standpoint? Of course you keep the focus of the game on shooting, but I don't see any reason you can't add abilities and environment puzzles to switch things up. Especially when you're unveiling a trailer like the Locke one that emphasizes his strength/agility/move set.

I dunno, FPS campaigns just bore me to tears at this point, I'd like to see one of these companies try and expand beyond a 30 second combat loop for 8 hours.

Like metroid prime corruption and you have your own ship? Maybe flying around to different worlds and such.

I could get behind that

Or they look bad.

But being associated with Halo 4 isn't doing the design any favors.

It's certainly possible, but I think a lot of it is the Halo 4 thing.

Also: I'm pretty sure those are more Storm Covenant; it's possible we'll still get some traditional Jackals. We know there's still old-school Elite designs from the H2A bookend cutscenes, but the ones from the new trailer looked like the H4 variants.

VinFTW

This is exactly the reason why I couldn't play the AW campaign for more than 2-3 levels. Everybody was talking about how it was one of the better CoD campaigns in recent memory... but I couldn't play it. Just seemed like every other "by the numbers" shooter.

ADS---> Shoot at 5-6 enemies
Sprint to next area---> Repeat

Ramirez

Like metroid prime corruption and you have your own ship? Maybe flying around to different worlds and such.

I could get behind that

I would be fine with one interconnected planet that opened up more and more based on clues you find like ODST, or anything like that. Anything is more appealing to me than 9 linear shootbang missions again.

Like I said, they have no issues taking a dump on MP norms, but rarely ever try anything new in campaign, it's puzzling to me.

Also, here's that GP I was talking about, it was actually my teammate chasing and getting GP on the way up.

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/519e2da4-901a-468e-8661-d32a7553c42b

That shit is awesome, and actually adds something to the game, IMO.

jem0208

Or they look bad.

But being associated with Halo 4 isn't doing the design any favors.
I would be willing to bet large sums of money that had the design originally been the dinosaur version and was switched to the bird version in H4, the majority would still be complaining.

The H4 version actually looks like a scary ass alien
20120925172732!Storm_jackal.jpeg

As opposed to the really goofy looking bird versions
HaloReach_-_Jackal.png

Blueblur1

I don't think that the trailer is indicative of anything except for fighting Covenant in the campaign. Which I don't mind because they're more entertaining than any of the Prometheans. I hope they get a little more love this time around because the Halo 4 variants seemed dumber and less boisterous. I want them all yapping at me; especially Elites. And hell, it would be nice if they had a new trick or two. It would suck fighting Reach Covenant for the third time in a row.

VinFTW

I would be willing to bet large sums of money that had the design originally been the dinosaur version and was switched to the bird version in H4, the majority would still be complaining.

I'm gonna be honest with you Jem: It being Halo 4 has nothing to do with why it's trashed.

Everything is just worse from an artistic standpoint. Menus, UI, HUD, enemies, guns, etc.

Opinions of course, but it seems to be the majority opinion.

I'm gonna be honest with you Jem: It being Halo 4 has nothing to do with why it's trashed.

Everything is just worse from an artistic standpoint. Menus, UI, HUD, enemies, guns, etc.

Opinions of course, but it seems to be the majority opinion.

Ah, but you're failing to account for the reverse opinion factor. Your overall impression of a game (or movie, TV show, etc) influences your feelings about the individual components. It's why ME3 is apparently one of the worst games of the generation, and why the Raimi Spider-Man movies retroactively became shit.

VinFTW

Ah, but you're failing to account for the reverse opinion factor. Your overall impression of a game (or movie, TV show, etc) influences your feelings about the individual components. It's why ME3 is apparently one of the worst games of the generation, and why the Raimi Spider-Man movies retroactively became shit.

No, I just think everything looks worse.

I also think H4 is one of the better Halo campaigns.

Just talking aesthetics/art design.

I'm ready for something new from Halo 5's campaign. That "30 seconds of fun" thing is just a mind game, really. Any game that's fun has that same thing, just like the golden triangle when there are more important elements to Halo gameplay outside of the infamous golden triangle, like movement for example, arguably the most important factor. I'd even be alright with more high action scenes and scripted events, granted it's done so in a fun and creative way. Not talking about making a CoD campaign, but I'll be damned if I said I wouldn't want some over-the-top action scene like we saw from Halo 4 cutscenes or MC divebombing towards a Covenant Cruiser in space from Halo 2.

Lots of potential, can't wait to experience it. Hopefully they don't reveal too much though and keep most of it secret. I'd rather they keep the story UNKNOWN
(heh, ty.)
and show just enough to get people excited, while focusing heavily on how Halo multiplayer will blow us away once again. On-stage BTB match at E3, for example? Could be interesting.

EDIT:
and why the Raimi Spider-Man movies retroactively became shit.
People who say this are evil.

jem0208

I think this is a big factor, alongside the fact that it's changed and that people very often label change as negative.

Having a preference between the two is fine, however the vitriol with which some people hate almost every aspect of H4 is just ridiculous.

You have people who say that H4's music is terrible, that every redesign is complete trash, that the sound design and aesthetics are awful. The hyperbole surrounding H4 can extremely tiresome sometimes.

Edit: I'm not trying to say that preferring the old versions is wrong btw, only that the hate towards the new versions is unwarranted.

Impala26

Nah, that would suck. Would be a fairly jarring change between going from SP to MP, and one of my favorite parts about Halo was how the game was fairly consistent between the two.

Totally agree.

The H4 version actually looks like a scary ass alien
20120925172732!Storm_jackal.jpeg

As opposed to the really goofy looking bird versions
HaloReach_-_Jackal.png

But each species had a very unique aesthetic in the original trilogy. One of my biggest gripes with H4 is that aesthetically each (Storm) Covenant species is some variation of dinosaur-people. Same thing with the Grunts.

...and why the Raimi Spider-Man movies retroactively became shit.

People who say this are evil.

On this... we are agreed.

Ramirez

I watched the trailer again, and really, all it did was show case clamber, hover, charge, GP, and that visor ability. So I doubt the game is actually going to be more fast paced like that in campaign, probably just an artist interpretation of the abilities for a cut scene. Oh well.

I thought the Halo 4 Covenant designs were pretty good, aside from the Grunt ass. Aside from Reach, the earlier designs are pretty comical at this point.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I would be fine with one interconnected planet that opened up more and more based on clues you find like ODST, or anything like that. Anything is more appealing to me than 9 linear shootbang missions again.

Like I said, they have no issues taking a dump on MP norms, but rarely ever try anything new in campaign, it's puzzling to me.

Campaign players make up the majority of Day One sales. The folks that buy the game, blast through it, play some multi than buy the next shooter.

Going by Halo 4, the long term health of a game is second fiddle to those day one numbers. They want stability and higher numbers. High metacritics scores. Salary bonuses. Stock value bumps. Promotions. Follow the template. Do what you are told. Copy those market leader elements and make them work.

Madness

More like they took unique enemy designs and homogenized them so that they represented a small, medium, large of the same faction. Grunts looked nothing like Elites, which looked nothing like Jackals. And yet, in Halo 4, they all have the same skin texture, look very similar. I've even read a few posts on other places asking if they are all from the same planet.

Jem, we get it, you like Halo 4, and almost everything that people don't like about it doesn't bother you, but there are valid reasons for almost every complaint. And yeah, everytime you change something in an existing series, it's always going to scrutinized.

Blueblur1

Those Jackals are awful because they look like uninspired lizards and kinda like GoW Locust. Same with the Elites. They all looked bad way before anyone ever touched a controller and played Halo 4. Go back to the old thread(s). You'll see I'm not wrong.

Obscured

I'm mostly angry that 'jackals' don't look more like, you know, jackals. Original bird flavor or new lizard hotness, neither is a jackal.

I am happy with how they run around though so it all balances out.

I wasn't serious about the destructible environment thing before. I was, as they say, takin the piss. But for being a walking tank I sure do well on stairs and really take exceptional care of my surroundings.

To be more serious I'd like some gadgets that are meaningfully integrated into campaign.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Grunts, Jackals, and Elites are probably highest on my list of questionable art decisions in Halo 4. I really like Chief's Halo 4 design and I straight up love how the UNSC weapons look. Most of the campaign levels look alright, but rarely amazing. I got really sick of seeing the same human laboratory assets used over and over in the multiplayer maps. The crawlers are cool, but the other Prometheans look terrible, and their weapons are merely okay (with the exception of the Suppressor, which looks awesome).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If Locke can become a gravity defying ninja then Chief better be able to, too. It'd suck playing Chief missions if he's glued to the ground.

-Ryn

Banned
More like they took unique enemy designs and homogenized them so that they represented a small, medium, large of the same faction. Grunts looked nothing like Elites, which looked nothing like Jackals. And yet, in Halo 4, they all have the same skin texture, look very similar. I've even read a few posts on other places asking if they are all from the same planet.

Jem, we get it, you like Halo 4, and almost everything that people don't like about it doesn't bother you, but there are valid reasons for almost every complaint. And yeah, everytime you change something in an existing series, it's always going to scrutinized.
Those Jackals are awful because they look like uninspired lizards and kinda like GoW Locust. Same with the Elites. They all looked bad way before anyone ever touched a controller and played Halo 4. Go back to the old thread(s). You'll see I'm not wrong.
So much this. Like, all of this.

I was actually pretty excited for H4, but I was never into those designs. They were trying to make things "darker and grittier" and they did it in the cheapest way around. By turning everything into a dinosaur because such scurry. Much nightmare. Wow.

Each of the Covenant species used to have a unique identity. They actually looked like a variety of aliens that teamed up for one reason or another. Sure some of them might've been a bit silly. Is that really a bad thing though? It makes sense that they'd be so different.

Then in H4 they all might as well have come from the same damn planet.

Top Bottom