• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Obscured

The Grunts, Jackals, and Elites are probably highest on my least of questionable art decisions in Halo 4. I really like Chief's Halo 4 design and I straight up love how the UNSC weapons look. Most of the campaign levels look alright, but rarely amazing. I got really sick of seeing the same human laboratory assets used over and over in the multiplayer maps. The crawlers are cool, but the other Prometheans look terrible, and their weapons are merely okay (with the exception of the Suppressor, which looks awesome).

UNSC stuff was good, but the one thing I didn't like was those orange marine masks.

Karl2177

So the series can't evolve from a campaign standpoint? Of course you keep the focus of the game on shooting, but I don't see any reason you can't add abilities and environment puzzles to switch things up. Especially when you're unveiling a trailer like the Locke one that emphasizes his strength/agility/move set.

I dunno, FPS campaigns just bore me to tears at this point, I'd like to see one of these companies try and expand beyond a 30 second combat loop for 8 hours.
I have no problem with the SAs, but an ability shouldn't be required for any specific section. You can go through 99% of Halo 2 without jumping*, yet the player still has that in their arsenal.

*It may be possible to do it 100% with a grenade launch, but I'm not sure.
I would be fine with one interconnected planet that opened up more and more based on clues you find like ODST, or anything like that. Anything is more appealing to me than 9 linear shootbang missions again.

Like I said, they have no issues taking a dump on MP norms, but rarely ever try anything new in campaign, it's puzzling to me.
And now you're talking about mission design, so it's kinda clear to me you just need something different. Here's my advice: play Half Life. Or just quit trying to get a franchise to change what it is about to meet your demand.

I would be willing to bet large sums of money that had the design originally been the dinosaur version and was switched to the bird version in H4, the majority would still be complaining.
... Yeah, of course people would be complaining. Quite a few of the people I see complaining about the changes aren't able to put it into words, so they just default to "it looks like a dinosaur now". The reason why I don't like the change is because there wasn't any logical reason to change it. From a canon perspective, a design perspective, a combat perspective, the redesign falls short of logic. For political reasons, there's the obvious one which is 343i wanted to put their mark on the franchise or that the art team wanted it to be different from before. Aside from that, there isn't a reason for change that is cohesive. If they just came out and said, "We're changing the character models for [something logical]" then I'd be fine with it. Instead it was the usual 343i/MS PR spin "These guys are like the Skirmishers... You know... A different species... You know...".

Ah, but you're failing to account for the reverse opinion factor. Your overall impression of a game (or movie, TV show, etc) influences your feelings about the individual components. It's why ME3 is apparently one of the worst games of the generation, and why the Raimi Spider-Man movies retroactively became shit.
ME3 isn't good, but hardly the worst game of the generation. Lime(I think it was him) had a post that summed up all the issues about ME3, and it's why I don't consider it a good game. Sam Raimi is a terrible writer, but a good director. Darkman and SpiderMan 3 are the big titles on his writing list, and both of those are terrible.

I'm ready for something new from Halo 5's campaign. That "30 seconds of fun" thing is just a mind game, really. Any game that's fun has that same thing, just like the golden triangle when there are more important elements to Halo gameplay outside of the infamous golden triangle, like movement for example, arguably the most important factor. I'd even be alright with more high action scenes and scripted events, granted it's done so in a fun and creative way. Not talking about making a CoD campaign, but I'll be damned if I said I wouldn't want some over-the-top action scene like we saw from Halo 4 cutscenes or MC divebombing towards a Covenant Cruiser in space from Halo 2.

Lots of potential, can't wait to experience it. Hopefully they don't reveal too much though and keep most of it secret. I'd rather they keep the story UNKNOWN
(heh, ty.)
and show just enough to get people excited, while focusing heavily on how Halo multiplayer will blow us away once again. On-stage BTB match at E3, for example? Could be interesting.

EDIT:
People who say this are evil.
I hate how people try to misconstrue the Golden Triangle to be 3 things that are important to Halo. The Golden Triangle was and will always be a sandbox balancing concept.

VinFTW

Just like VoG and a Halo campaign level!

Qgui88C.gif

I would think movement would be a key element to any "sandbox balancing" discussion seeing as how we had nuclear grenades with short fuse times in Reach with a terrible strafe, low jump height and sluggish movement.

Welfare

I would think movement would be a key element to any "sandbox balancing" discussion seeing as how we had nuclear grenades with short fuse times in Reach with a terrible strafe, low jump height and sluggish movement.

But that was because Bungie wanted you to use the armor abilities.

That's a problem related to motion tracker, not sprint lol. Running in circles around cover has always been a thing in Halo.

Josh Holmes I believe made this similar statement and was crucified for it, poor guy.
But that was because Bungie wanted you to use the armor abilities.
Supports my point. Other elements are just as important to balancing the sandbox than just weapons, grenades and melee.

Ramirez

I have no problem with the SAs, but an ability shouldn't be required for any specific section. You can go through 99% of Halo 2 without jumping*, yet the player still has that in their arsenal.

*It may be possible to do it 100% with a grenade launch, but I'm not sure.
And now you're talking about mission design, so it's kinda clear to me you just need something different. Here's my advice: play Half Life. Or just quit trying to get a franchise to change what it is about to meet your demand.

... Yeah, of course people would be complaining. Quite a few of the people I see complaining about the changes aren't able to put it into words, so they just default to "it looks like a dinosaur now". The reason why I don't like the change is because there wasn't any logical reason to change it. From a canon perspective, a design perspective, a combat perspective, the redesign falls short of logic. For political reasons, there's the obvious one which is 343i wanted to put their mark on the franchise or that the art team wanted it to be different from before. Aside from that, there isn't a reason for change that is cohesive. If they just came out and said, "We're changing the character models for [something logical]" then I'd be fine with it. Instead it was the usual 343i/MS PR spin "These guys are like the Skirmishers... You know... A different species... You know...".

ME3 isn't good, but hardly the worst game of the generation. Lime(I think it was him) had a post that summed up all the issues about ME3, and it's why I don't consider it a good game. Sam Raimi is a terrible writer, but a good director. Darkman and SpiderMan 3 are the big titles on his writing list, and both of those are terrible.

I hate how people try to misconstrue the Golden Triangle to be 3 things that are important to Halo. The Golden Triangle was and will always be a sandbox balancing concept.

Of course I want a game to be molded around ideas I think are fun. It's not like there's gonna be another Battlefront, so I want the one that's coming to be the way I want it. I think that holds true for everyone...

It's no different than the guys who ask for classic scope, no sprint, etc. I know it's not going to happen, but I get why they want it. That's their ideal Halo game.

I'm not asking Halo to be changed completely, just branch out and try something new in its campaign.

Chase, miss shots, stuggle to aim, chase, struggle. Ah, the way of the bk.

Let me guess, this player has toggle crouch enabled.

hey hey hey, no knocking toggle crouch. Some of us are actually heavy handed and DONT wanna screw up our sticks.

as for the video, much AR, very BK. Playing halo like CoD or any low TTK game will of course make it very hard for you to get kills, besides if he really wanted those al he had to do was cu them off, that's one of the points of learning a map; to deduce potential withdrawal routes and cut them off.

This person is just horribly bad. It's clearly his fault that the people could run away. He tries to get people with AR on Midrange without Scope, yeah good luck with that...

Doesnt matter what weapon he uses... same case would happen with BR/DMR...

Sprint is still shit for Halo and always will be.

Random17

I'd argue that the most important aspect of the Campaign is replayability.

You get replayability from excellent gameplay mechanics and sandbox (CE, 2, 3), great level design (Silent Cartographer, Delta Halo, The Covenant), interesting scenarios (LNOS, 3 Scarab battles, Warthog Run).

The abilities in the Campaign are a great gameplay element, and if combined with the right level design they will be fantastic. If we can approach an encounter in more than one possible way, then that is a victory in my book.

Doesnt matter what weapon he uses... same case would happen with BR/DMR...

Sprint is still shit for Halo and always will be.
c'mon, the guy in the video misses his DMR shots, then switches from DMR to AR to hunt the guy down while he's running away... He got enough opportunities to hit 2 more DMR shots to kill. Using AR without scope in H5 also shows that the guy didnt quite get how H5 work

I had none issues with that in the whole beta. People sprinting away without shield are easy victims through the non-recharging shields. This was really badd in Reach and H4, but I think its fine in H5. I saw much more going in cover through truster packs in H5

A few other things lacking:

No prediction e.g. shortcut his enemy
No teamwork e.g. Team shooting
No team communication e.g. Location call outs
No decision making e.g. Engage other enemies instead
No deception e.g. Let enemy think they got away but watch then stealth attack

MCC was really unplayable for me yesterday. Im mainly talking about the shitty player matching. It cant be right that i get the people without thumbs 5 games in a row.

It felt like this game really wants people to stop playing.

c'mon, the guy in the video misses his DMR shots, then switches from DMR to AR to hunt the guy down while he's running away... He got enough opportunities to hit 2 more DMR shots to kill. Using AR without scope in H5 also shows that the guy didnt quite get how H5 work

I had none issues with that in the whole beta. People sprinting away without shield are easy victims through the non-recharging shields. This was really badd in Reach and H4, but I think its fine in H5. I saw much more going in cover through truster packs in H5

People abused Sprint and Thruster a lot. And it was sometimes impossible to kill someone without help (which shouldnt be needed if im the better player). I did the same shit to other people on Eden. I was outplaying someone really hard that he ragequit.

And this above video is just an example. You can find more.

m23

Finally: Halo 2 Anniversary LASO is completed...It was terrible...

Halo 2 campaign was terrible, just recently replayed it in coop. Only positives were the music and story. Missions were such a drag to play through, especially the latter half. I was hype as hell when I first played it but looking at it now it was probably my least favourite halo campaign.

ultimota

People abused Sprint and Thruster a lot. And it was sometimes impossible to kill someone without help (which shouldnt be needed if im the better player).

if it was impossible to kill them without help, they outplayed you and thus you weren't really better than them in that moment at least

TTUVAPOR

Banned
MCC was really unplayable for me yesterday. Im mainly talking about the shitty player matching. It cant be right that i get the people without thumbs 5 games in a row.

It felt like this game really wants people to stop playing.

You should check out my rebroadcasts on Twitch

http://www.twitch.tv/ttuvapor

I haven't been on HCE since I believe it was Friday last week. Still getting the lag stutter, which I think many people don't understand when I say lag stutter...what that actually is.

Best way I can explain it is through the rebroadcast of my stream. My teammate and the opposition, continue to skip around as they are strafing or just moving in one direction. Furthermore, I have yet to hear any scoping sounds on any of the weapons.

I've tweeted Bravo countless times, I think he's starting to ignore me because he doesn't have an answer for this issue, usually he's always replied to me in the past, on other issues.

Fuchsdh

If Locke can become a gravity defying ninja then Chief better be able to, too. It'd suck playing Chief missions if he's glued to the ground.

I dunno. If you made Chief tougher in comparison it might reinforce the differences, but you're right that it also could be frustrating; Arby and Chief were the exact same except for a flashlight, which certainly helps players jump in but always seemed a bit goofy too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo 2 campaign was terrible, just recently replayed it in coop. Only positives were the music and story. Missions were such a drag to play through, especially the latter half. I was hype as hell when I first played it but looking at it now it was probably my least favourite halo campaign.

I love the Halo 2 campaign, but only about half of it. The last half you can really see where they ran out of time, especially the endless bridges and corridors in the last few missions. The first half is fantastic though.

Impala26

I love the Halo 2 campaign, but only about half of it. The last half you can really see where they ran out of time, especially the endless bridges and corridors in the last few missions. The first half is fantastic though.

It's a shame about this because the last four missions (two Chief, two Arby) are great on paper (Chief causes mayhem across High Charity, Arby extracts vengeance on the Brute traitors), but they really fall short in terms of execution and being playable. It certainly doesn't help that Gravemind and Uprising(?) are two of the hardest missions in the whole series solo Legendary.

Fuchsdh

It's a shame about this because the last four missions (two Chief, two Arby) are great on paper (Chief causes mayhem across High Charity, Arby extracts vengeance on the Brute traitors), but they really fall short in terms of execution and being playable. It certainly doesn't help that Gravemind and Uprising(?) are two of the hardest missions in the whole series solo Legendary.

Uprising is at least fairly easy to cheese. Definitely doing Gravemind coop Legendary if I want a shot at the speed run achievement.

Almost two months...that's crazy. You can tell they have slowed down. At some point, MCC will probably be left on the back burner, and all hands on deck for Halo 5.

i really think this is gonna be the last significant title update.

Theyll roll out ranks if it works, dont need to title update for that. rotational playlists too. maybe fix bugs here and there, etc. Then around E3 they add ascension and ODST, throw in a few bug fixes, close up shop and all hands on deck for h5.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Theyll roll out ranks if it works, dont need to title update for that. rotational playlists too. maybe fix bugs here and there, etc. Then around E3 they add ascension and ODST, throw in a few bug fixes, close up shop and all hands on deck for h5.

Is there an FAQ somewhere that explains when you're connected to a dedicated server?

I have no earthly clue when I'm peer 2 peer or on a dedicated server.

I've yet to read anything where someone states specifically how you can tell.

m23

The brutes especially make playing the game a pain. Just full out bullet sponges unless you have a BR or Carbine. Started Halo 3 coop and the brutes are so much more fun to fight.

willow ve

Almost two months...that's crazy. You can tell they have slowed down. At some point, MCC will probably be left on the back burner, and all hands on deck for Halo 5.

Are you somehow implying that MCC isn't already on the back burner? Because it seems like it's been back-burnered since February.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
As opposed to the really goofy looking bird versions
HaloReach_-_Jackal.png
Replaying through all the campaigns in MCC I really noticed something that I hadn't before. Halo 4 lost a lot of the light hearted, comical, and even goofy charm that all other halo titles had. There were not many good quips between chief and cortana to make you smile. No silly marine comments and conversations, and of course the change from an unusual and often silly alien for to a more menacing but ultimately generic look. Halo always had a great balance with being good serious SciFi without taking itself too seriously, but this is definitely something that was lost when 343i took over. I do hope it has been recognized and will return, even if in a different form, but I have my doubt's. The series is too serious these days.

Madness

They said early spring for ODST/Relic. Seems like because they know their updates have slowed down, and that H5 is ratcheting up soon, they're saving ODST/Relic for around E3 which instead makes it summer. It's mind boggling that even if certain affinity only got the go ahead for Relic in December with Bonnie apology, it still takes them 4+ months to make one map? Especially a map that is already quite simple. I'm not in games development but surely a studio that has been making maps for we'll over a decade, you could do one map in less than a year no?

Is there an FAQ somewhere that explains when you're connected to a dedicated server?

I have no earthly clue when I'm peer 2 peer or on a dedicated server.

I've yet to read anything where someone states specifically how you can tell.

there used to be a "connecting to server" message, some people have done network testing stuff to see if they are host, etc.

Im not sure though. I dont think 343 would advertise how often you do not connect to a dedicated server though, cause it never seems like i do.

Fuchsdh

The brutes especially make playing the game a pain. Just full out bullet sponges unless you have a BR or Carbine. Started Halo 3 coop and the brutes are so much more fun to fight.

I think H3 Brutes are more fun than Elites in a lot of ways. One of the frustrating parts of Legendary in Halo games is that Elites turn into massive regenerating bullet sponges, pretty much necessitating the noob combo if you want to have any success. The Brutes' power armor never regenerates once you pop it so it allows more variety with how you approach scenarios and whittle down numbers.

They said early spring for ODST/Relic. Seems like because they know their updates have slowed down, and that H5 is ratcheting up soon, they're saving ODST/Relic for around E3 which instead makes it summer. It's mind boggling that even if certain affinity only got the go ahead for Relic in December with Bonnie apology, it still takes them 4+ months to make one map? Especially a map that is already quite simple. I'm not in games development but surely a studio that has been making maps for we'll over a decade, you could do one map in less than a year no?

Its probably done, or they are paying CA like for the time of 4 staff members. Im guessing they are waiting to release it in conjunction with ODST though.

This is also the team that promised ranks at launch, in november. Its the end of april and we MAY get ranks for just three playlists this week.

m23

Clips you record on Xbox die after a while right? Can't seem to get any of my Halo 5 clips back :(

I think there might be a limit to the number of clips you can have or something so maybe it's deleting the older ones to make space for the clips you're recording now.

Top Bottom