• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Haruko

vPOULuz.png

https://twitter.com/quinndelhoyo/status/591274905892573184

HTupolev

What does this even mean?

Insane range/hitscan, I don't get it.

You want an H3 BR or something?
Yes. Something that with better responsiveness and consistency than the Halo 3 BR, but also something whose effectiveness at distance is mitigated somehow. Utility weapons that are easy to use effectively at long range have horrible effects on map movement. This is why Reach added aggressive bloom; obviously that got a lot of shit, but in a world where devs refuse to ditch hitscan, I think it's a huge part of why Reach's BTB was better-received than Halo 4's (even if people always just bring up plasma spawns).

(My preference would be accurate but non-hitscan utility weapons with very visible impact response.)

Ramirez

Someone tweet him and tell them to get rid of the windows in the house, that entire spot needs redesigned. It was way too campy compared to the opposite side. The glass should be breakable like the Truth cover at the very least. I actually liked the map, radar just ruined it...much like every map in the game past a certain skill point.

H2A insane ranged BR is annoying as f.k..Never gonna touch H2A again..

I have to say H2A is just pretty awful overall. I have +500 games played now, and the majority has been H2A. There are a number of reasons why I played it; only ranked playlist, I enjoy H2, and I like nice graphics. However, the more I play it, the more I realize how terrible it truly is.

The biggest issues are hit detection and consistency, it’s fucking atrocious. I don't know if it's netcode issues or what. When I get into a BR fight it’s like I’m playing the lottery, I have no idea what is going to happen. Next problem are the nades, and this is made worse by the fact its 5v5. Next is the limited number of maps. Warlord 5v5 should not be a thing, ever. 5v5 Lockdown and Shrine are bearable. Zenith is just shit. So, Stonetown is the only map that should be 5v5.

So yeah, I’m really not fond of H2A. The only time I really enjoy it is when it pops up in BTB (Gungoose CTF is a lot of fun). Once the other ranked playlists come out, I’ll never touch a dedicated H2A playlist ever again.

m23

Someone tweet him and tell them to get rid of the windows in the house, that entire spot needs redesigned. It was way too campy compared to the opposite side. The glass should be breakable like the Truth cover at the very least. I actually liked the map, radar just ruined it...much like every map in the game past a certain skill point.

Yeah making the glass breakable is a good idea. Too much camping was going on there.

daedalius

I have to say H2A is just pretty awful overall. I have +500 games played now, and the majority has been H2A. There are a number of reasons why I played it; only ranked playlist, I enjoy H2, and I like nice graphics. However, the more I play it, the more I realize how terrible it truly is.

The biggest issues are hit detection and consistency, it’s fucking atrocious. I don't know if it's netcode issues or what. When I get into a BR fight it’s like I’m playing the lottery, I have no idea what is going to happen. Next problem are the nades, and this is made worse by the fact its 5v5. Next is the limited number of maps. Warlord 5v5 should not be a thing, ever. 5v5 Lockdown and Shrine are bearable. Zenith is just shit. So, Stonetown is the only map that should be 5v5.

So yeah, I’m really not fond of H2A. The only time I really enjoy it is when it pops up in BTB (Gungoose CTF is a lot of fun). Once the other ranked playlists come out, I’ll never touch a dedicated H2A playlist ever again.

When my connection hasn't turned to shit (which is an ISP issue, not the game), I find H2A pretty fine on the hit detection front. It seems pretty vulnerable to any sort of lag though, which is weird since I found Halo 4 to be pretty great most of the time.

I agree with the map issues, they really should have made a few more smaller maps, and had it be 4v4.

I still don't get the complaints on the BR though, learn to not be caught out in the open?

AlStrong

Looks a bit too dark and shadowed.

Also the shadow being cast on the right doesn't connect properly.

Could use more distinct clouds. Looks too bland/uniform between the mountains and skybox (the structure textures are rather devoid of any detail too...). Surface metal sheen doesn't mesh well with the shadowed side of columns too.

e.g. (taken from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q5UayQuiro)

jem0208

When my connection hasn't turned to shit (which is an ISP issue, not the game), I find H2A pretty fine on the hit detection front. It seems pretty vulnerable to any sort of lag though, which is weird since I found Halo 4 to be pretty great most of the time.

I agree with the map issues, they really should have made a few more smaller maps, and had it be 4v4.

I still don't get the complaints on the BR though, learn to not be caught out in the open?
H2A in general is pretty terrible for me, it really does seem to fall apart with even a slightly above normal ping.

The number of times I've hit 5-6 shots and the enemy's shields haven't even popped is ridiculous.

Tawpgun

I agree.

I told him that room needs to be more vulnerable

VinFTW

Way ahead of ya. Worst part about that map.

Spartan ops on the mcc is as boring as I remember it being on 360, also the wraith is so bad in halo 4 there's no feeling of power like with the tank.

Haruko

Way ahead of ya. Worst part about that map.

The room is a little too strong, I admit. That said, it was sure satisfying to get slingshot Hydra kills on enemies camping out in there. Only problem was they had to be dumb enough to peek out to initiate the lock-on. If you could lock-on through transparent surfaces, maybe? I mean you technically have vision of them...

Also, since I was banned when it came out:

I'd really love Locke to be a floatier, speedier character to play that has a movement style more evocative of Quake than Halo. Him darting around, making huge leaps, slowly but surely dancing around perimeters and taking down targets one by one. You could chalk it up to him having integrated Forerunner tech or even show that he has retro-rockets built into his suit's extremities that allow him to have extremely long leaps and strafes without having a ton of baggage in terms of momentum, which would give him a much tighter movement style in general. With all of his permissions in-universe, I'd expect Locke to actually have a more arena shooter sort of style rather than making his missions the "modern-feeling" ones.

Locke could have something like a drastically shortened recharge timer on his Thrusters and Sprint replaced with a general "grinding" mechanic that sends him shooting across walls, rails, etc.

Called it, motherfuckers!

I have four roommates, one plays Halo and between the two of us playing frequently one of my other roommates decided to start playing the game as well. It's interesting hearing about the game from a new players perspective. When the voting was tied he said, "Yay random map!" I informed him it always goes with the one on the left and he was astonished they couldn't program it to be random. He also asked where the sprint button was while playing Halo 3, as did a girl who was over, so basically they are both terrible people. I'm excited my roommate is starting to get into the game though.

I have four roommates, one plays Halo and between the two of us playing frequently one of my other roommates decided to start playing the game as well. It's interesting hearing about the game from a new players perspective. When the voting was tied he said, "Yay random map!" I informed him it always goes with the one on the left and he was astonished they couldn't program it to be random. He also asked where the sprint button was while playing Halo 3, as did a girl who was over, so basically they are both terrible people. I'm excited my roommate is starting to get into the game though.

modern-day baseline shooter mechanics, how do they work

Ahh, HaloGaf feels whole again.

Now all we need is Rag to start posting again and it'll be just like old times*

*By which I mean how it was when I joined less than a year ago.

I just want to say that I have yet to play blood gulch in H2A because bad hopper design.

I also muted someone talking shit in the lobby while the match was being prepared, the game unmuted him once teams were decided.

daedalius

I mean, you move slow as molasses in halo 3, so I'm not surprised they were looking for a sprint button.

Fuchsdh

I mean, you move slow as molasses in halo 3, so I'm not surprised they were looking for a sprint button.

Eh, I mash the sprint button by default in all the Halo games now, I noticed (except, bizarrely, for Halo 4.) You objectively move slower in Halo 3 but the smaller FOV diminishes that perception... it's something that really only bothers me in competitive multiplayer.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
yall I have a better K/D in Destiny than Ram

who's the scrub now?!?!

jem0208

Eh, I mash the sprint button by default in all the Halo games now, I noticed (except, bizarrely, for Halo 4.) You objectively move slower in Halo 3 but the smaller FOV diminishes that perception... it's something that really only bothers me in competitive multiplayer.

The smaller FoV accentuates the issue though, a smaller FoV makes it seem like you are walking slower.

Haruko

The lag stuttering in Halo CE multiplayer. I feel like I'm the only one in GAF that even plays CE...because no one here seems to understand what I'm saying about lag stutter. Players skipping as they run...that's a better way to put it.

I've been playing CE (both TS and the CE 2v2 list) a bit and haven't seen the stuttering...

This is a clip from 4/3/15 from my 2v2 partner Vash; it's pretty similar to what I am seeing:
http://xboxclips.com/VMVash+v2/e5d419c6-b892-4293-a7be-cd321eed377b

I believe you when you talk about it, but it's not from what I can tell a widespread issue. I'm sorry it's affecting you, whatever is causing it. I hope it can be identified/fixed :(

Um isn't that evident? Even the Mk VI had built in thrusters in the graphic novel while being tested before refitted for S-117. They (SIIs) could achieve the same results without it lol

There's a difference between slight adjustments in zero-g and flying around like a fucking superhero.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I've been playing CE (both TS and the CE 2v2 list) a bit and haven't seen the stuttering...

I believe you when you talk about it, but it's not from what I can tell a widespread issue. I'm sorry it's affecting you, whatever is causing it. I hope it can be identified/fixed :(

Another way I can describe it is this:

When you are facing someone and shooting them, they strafe left to right. When the connection is right, the player will smoothly strafe step left...then change direction and strafe smoothly the other way.

That's not what is happening with me. I'm seeing someone go side step left and their player model skips frames, stutters.

hitbox_pic_interp.jpg

This is an example, but in Halo CE, you're not seeing a drag of the player model behind them, you're just seeing them skip back and forth from where they just came from.

Same goes for when someone is running in a single direction...their player model will skip backwards and then quickly forward, over and over.

:(

Top Bottom