• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

HTupolev

You objectively move slower in Halo 3 but the smaller FOV diminishes that perception...
That's backwards. A small FoV tends to make things feel slow. There are two reasons for this:
1-When moving forward, things naturally parallax at highest angular rate toward your peripheries.
2-With perspective projection, the pixels/degree increases as you go away from the center of the projection. So even with the same rate of angular movement around the camera, you get more screen-space motion in the peripheral areas.

jem0208

Another way I can describe it is this:

When you are facing someone and shooting them, they strafe left to right. When the connection is right, the player will smoothly strafe step left...then change direction and strafe smoothly the other way.

That's not what is happening with me. I'm seeing someone go side step left and their player model skips frames, stutters.

This is an example, but in Halo CE, you're not seeing a drag of the player model behind them, you're just seeing them skip back and forth from where they just came from.

Same goes for when someone is running in a single direction...their player model will skip backwards and then quickly forward, over and over.

:(

So basically small amounts of rubber banding?

Do you skip about at all when you move?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
So basically small amounts of rubber banding?

Do you skip about at all when you move?

I don't skip at all. Nade throwing, everything is smooth on my end. Rubber banding all over the place though when I see teammates and opposition, including weapons that fall from dead players.

Haruko

I don't skip at all. Nade throwing, everything is smooth on my end. Rubber banding all over the place though when I see teammates and opposition, including weapons that fall from dead players.

It certainly sounds network related, somewhere along the connection. Though it's bizarre that it only seems to affect CE.

There's a difference between slight adjustments in zero-g and flying around like a fucking superhero.
Still don't see how someone "calls" it when that possibility is evident before hand. We've also seen such things achieved in Halo 4 and SpOps. I think the TP superhero agility is a big exaggeration towards how momentum and propulsion is being shown in that trailer like knocking a banshee off course by drop kicking it while constantly TP + GP + Charge + Sprint + Clamber + Stabilizers. But this is scifi so screw it I guess lol

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It certainly sounds network related, somewhere along the connection. Though it's bizarre that it only seems to affect CE.

If we can assume it is network related, why do none of my other Xbox games do this? Furthermore, my PC games don't do this either.

The only other xbox game I play multiplayer on is Battlefield 4.

jem0208

If we can assume it is network related, why do none of my other Xbox games do this? Furthermore, my PC games don't do this either.

Do you know anyone else who has experienced the same problem? It is a weird one, especially considering it seems like it's not very widespread...

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Do you know anyone else who has experienced the same problem? It is a weird one, especially considering it seems like it's not very widespread...

All my friends quit MCC long ago :(

btw, watchin some of Vash's clips on my phone...I notice he's getting some player rubberbanding, but it's minimal.

-Ryn

Banned
Had a dream Halo 5 had another beta on the 360 and one of the special armors was Chief without a helmet... and shirtless.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Still you, for playing Destiny.
It's fun! Kind of. Sometimes.

But really, every time I go to play Halo campaigns I'm just like "Nah, I'd rather play Destiny." I even like the PvP. And I'm really stoked for the Prison of Elders, though I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Edit : God, watching those Reach vids reminds me how great the HUD, team markers, and UI is. Halo 4 and the MCC uses the weirdest fonts + text sizes. I hope Halo 5 goes back to readability.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

But really, every time I go to play Halo campaigns I'm just like "Nah, I'd rather play Destiny." I even like the PvP. And I'm really stoked for the Prison of Elders, though I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

What a good selling point!!!

Haruko

Hmm. Have you tried reinstalling the game, in case it's just something corrupted with your CE? Apologies if you've mentioned already trying this before.

Ramirez

Yeah, just throwing out the biggest plays.

Analysis of this video shows me taking out the hoard, before you get in the way and cause the explosion to kill both of us. Biggy playing like a complete scrub, and then Luke crumbling under the pressure.

kappa.png

Haruko

jem0208

I'm somewhat tempted to buy Destiny... and I have no idea why.

It'll have to be after the exams though. I haven't actually played a single video game in weeks. I hate studying.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
There's a Rat Race game on there I know from around the same time where we were both seeing crazy amounts of lag; like 2-3 second delay on everything
(one clip shows an enemy running through teleporter and then falling dead to my shot, but I'm still on the other side of the TP...). I'd ignore the Rat Race clips from "03/04/2015"

I was watching the priz clips, and didn't see any rubberbanding...so I dunno.

When I get home this evening, I'll re-install MCC. I know I've done bandwidth tests before on the X1 and I don't see anything bad, speeds are good across the board, both down and up.

I just have this feeling I am not getting connected to dedicated servers, everything has been peer to peer.

Impala26

I'm somewhat tempted to buy Destiny... and I have no idea why.

It'll have to be after the exams though. I haven't actually played a single video game in weeks. I hate studying.

Kittens makes a good point about it though.

Unless you're going for campaign-related cheevos, there's no real point about replaying the Halo campaigns besides for fun and I have no qualms about that. Silent Cartographer is great, but do I want to play it a few times every week? No.

The way Destiny is set up is that there's character progression even from playing that campaign mission for the umpteen-th time. And that progression goes across both the PvE AND PvP content of the game.

Are the campaign missions for Halo better? Of course they are, but the Destiny missions are still solid and can often be fun. The main differentiation is that Destiny missions are far more compact--a soup or salad compared to the 5 course meal that a typical Halo mission is.

Destiny's Crucible can be equal parts fun and a headache, "competitive" it really ain't that's for sure. And because it needs to be said...

The thing I most dislike about Destiny is that it's brought up repeatedly in threads not about Destiny with the same tired arguements we've heard for months.

RIP SSTSS

Still don't see how someone "calls" it when that possibility is evident before hand. We've also seen such things achieved in Halo 4 and SpOps. I think the TP superhero agility is a big exaggeration towards how momentum and propulsion is being shown in that trailer like knocking a banshee off course by drop kicking it while constantly TP + GP + Charge + Sprint + Clamber + Stabilizers. But this is scifi so screw it I guess lol

Note that Locke is also throwing that stuff out left and right, and I suggested that he had some kind of exponentially reduced cooldown time on his thrusters. Even though H5G Spartans may be capable of some of that stuff, it's bottlenecked by the amount of time they have to wait between actions.

jem0208

Might be able to swing one, if my brother doesn't want his... I'll see.

Checked my email, and.... nada.

Bah.

If I do receive one I'll probably give it to someone in here, I'm not going to be able to play it as my exams don't finish until late in June...

Unless you're going for campaign-related cheevos, there's no real point about replaying the Halo campaigns besides for fun and I have no qualms about that. Silent Cartographer is great, but do I want to play it a few times every week? No.

The way Destiny is set up is that there's character progression even from playing that campaign mission for the umpteen-th time. And that progression goes across both the PvE AND PvP content of the game.

Are the campaign missions for Halo better? Of course they are, but the Destiny missions are still solid and can often be fun. The main differentiation is that Destiny missions are far more compact--a soup or salad compared to the 5 course meal that a typical Halo mission is.

Destiny's Crucible can be equal parts fun and a headache, "competitive" it really ain't that's for sure. And because it needs to be said...

Yeah, I played the Beta quite a lot and while I quite enjoyed it I did find it getting a bit repetitive. That said I did put a good 8 or so hours into a beta (not quite on the same level of the H5 beta though, I put a few days into that game over those three weeks). I'll probably download the trial and give it another shot after exams. It's only £25 on Amazon which is pretty cheap...

Invites will probably go out in waves.

Also, I guess you can only play at certain times? Next one is on the 25th for like an hour.

Also ranks are fixed guys! That's why the other team is all 13 14 while my team is 2 and 3! -_-

-Ryn

Banned

I'd argue that Destiny's missions aren't fun because of the mission design itself so much as it is because of the friends you bring into it and the progression system. They're "solid" in the that they work, but they're the bare minimum. They're inoffensive grind fests of the same mission with different scenery.

Doesn't hurt that the actual gameplay is really good.

Top Bottom