• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Current outlook on ranks:

◾Matching with similar skill levels is getting better and improving continuously.

◾Ranks are available in 3 playlists: 1 cross-game (Team Slayer) and 2 specific to Halo 2: Anniversary (Halo Championship Series and Team Halo 2: Anniversary)

◾Team matching isn't out yet, but it will be added soon.

◾Ranks have been reset to 1 in all playlists except Team Halo 2: Anniversary. There is no further reset planned, so GET THOSE 50S!!!!

I knew it! That's why I keep going up against all these parties. Guess I'll just wait until things get sorted out.

Hey, so New Blood is supposed to be released in print at some point right? Or is it just staying as an e-book.

I was thinking about this yesterday and figured that at this point they might just wait and collect it with Frank's story this summer and Staten's in December, for print release next spring, possibly with another short story from somebody to round it out.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Interesting story this morning. Last night I had uninstalled MCC around 6PM. The damn thing is 60+ gigs...geesus...anyway, I had it re-installing and just left the Xbox on until we went to bed around 10PM. I pressed the button on the front of the Xbox to turn it off, yet it was still in its low powered state.

I wake up this morning around 5AM and go to see if it's downloaded, I was hoping to play a few matches before heading to work, and the damn thing wasn't even downloaded, it was around 35%.

I pulled up the bandwidth usage stats and it was showing me that from around 11PM through 5AM this morning, it was only downloading a few 100 KB per second instead of MB. WTF? Is this an Xbox thing or is this Comcast doing this? Why would it lower the speed of downloading over night?

So, as I was checking the bandwidth stats, I noticed that the speed started to increase and the game was installing at a faster rate of 25Mbps down.

Then I did a detailed network stats and this is what I got this morning:

Download speed: 25.44 Mbps
Upload speed: 5.36 Mbps
Packet loss: 0%
MTU: 1489 (don't know what this means)
Latency: 86ms (where is it pinging this to? This to me is way too high...especially when I play PC games on servers where I'm getting less than 20 latency)

Hey, so New Blood is supposed to be released in print at some point right? Or is it just staying as an e-book.

I was thinking about this yesterday and figured that at this point they might just wait and collect it with Frank's story this summer and Staten's in December, for print release next spring, possibly with another short story from somebody to round it out.

That's probably exactly what they're doing.

willow ve

Interesting story this morning. Last night I had uninstalled MCC around 6PM. The damn thing is 60+ gigs...geesus...anyway, I had it re-installing and just left the Xbox on until we went to bed around 10PM. I pressed the button on the front of the Xbox to turn it off, yet it was still in its low powered state.

I wake up this morning around 5AM and go to see if it's downloaded, I was hoping to play a few matches before heading to work, and the damn thing wasn't even downloaded, it was around 35%.

I pulled up the bandwidth usage stats and it was showing me that from around 11PM through 5AM this morning, it was only downloading a few 100 KB per second instead of MB. WTF? Is this an Xbox thing or is this Comcast doing this? Why would it lower the speed of downloading over night?

So, as I was checking the bandwidth stats, I noticed that the speed started to increase and the game was installing at a faster rate of 25Mbps down.

Then I did a detailed network stats and this is what I got this morning:

Download speed: 25.44 Mbps
Upload speed: 5.36 Mbps
Packet loss: 0%
MTU: 1489 (don't know what this means)
Latency: 86ms (where is it pinging this to? This to me is way too high...especially when I play PC games on servers where I'm getting less than 20 latency)

My Xbox One on Comcast does this as well. Not sure what the deal is (might be Comcast, might be Microsoft Servers, might be other random issues).

Greatest moment for me was trying to download a 4.5GB patch for Destiny. Apparently something hit a snag in the update and my Xbox ended up downloading 175GB of data over a 15 hour period attempting to complete the patch. Had to uninstall the entire game and start over from scratch.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
My Xbox One on Comcast does this as well. Not sure what the deal is (might be Comcast, might be Microsoft Servers, might be other random issues).

Greatest moment for me was trying to download a 4.5GB patch for Destiny. Apparently something hit a snag in the update and my Xbox ended up downloading 175GB of data over a 15 hour period attempting to complete the patch. Had to uninstall the entire game and start over from scratch.

It's really annoying...so I guess next time I'll just leave the Xbox One on...I usually don't trust the low powered state thing because I'm always being prompted to download updates...when MSFT advertised that in low power state, all game updates are auto-downloaded.

Bs.

Mdot

I have Comcast/Xfinity as well. For X1 games, I've never had to leave on overnight or power-down when DLing something, so the speeds have been OK for me. I have done it on my PS4 though and have seen DL's take forever when it's in that low power state. Not sure what to equate it to, but figured I'd chime in with my experience.

OTWEsSD.gif

Aye. Evolutions III by another name.

Halo: Evolutions Evolved

Impala26

I've been having Comcast network-related issues myself.

My gateway/router (Comcast supplied) has been resetting itself approximately 2-4 times each day. And the worst part about it is that it doesn't PROPERLY reset itself and I actually have to plug/power it down for it to reset properly.

I want to contact Comcast to get a new gateway, but I'm also thinking of just buying a third party Comcast compatible one. Thing is, I'm not sure if the problems I'm having with my current gateway actually are hardware related or have to do with my internet connection.

Any advice folks?

Akai__

How long until we finally get updated Halo 3 maps and settings? Also, please remove Ghost Town, Last Resort and Standoff (and a coupple other maps, which aren't considered "fan favourite") from the map pool.

---

Xbox One downloads are really weird. When I downloaded the MCC (on my brand new Xbox One), the bandwidth usage was at 140GB. The actual game was still 40GB, because the day one patch wasn't available yet. I also remember people talking about the same issue for other games. Capped internet must suck for people, who are going digital...

Mdot

My gateway/router (Comcast supplied) has been resetting itself approximately 2-4 times each day. And the worst part about it is that it doesn't PROPERLY reset itself and I actually have to plug/power it down for it to reset properly.

I want to contact Comcast to get a new gateway, but I'm also thinking of just buying a third party Comcast compatible one. Thing is, I'm not sure if the problems I'm having with my current gateway actually are hardware related or have to do with my internet connection.

Any advice folks?

I have a 3rd party router that works fine, but I find the modem supplied by Comcast to be complete shit. Recently my connection will just crap out and I still have a wi-fi signal, but no data being transferred. Have to unplug the modem for a few minutes to reboot it.

Tawpgun

How long until we finally get updated Halo 3 maps and settings? Also, please remove Ghost Town, Last Resort and Standoff (and a coupple other maps, which aren't considered "fan favourite") from the map pool.

I thought it was due to halo 3 forge being weird and maybe an oversight on 343 part to not include updated maps, just their launch counterparts. Thought something was preventin them from using map variants that aren't on halo 3 launch.

But when I ventured into swat I saw they had a variant of Orbital called SWARBITAL.

Wtf 343. Replace launch day maps with updated ones please.

And ghost town is ok. Standoff can sometimes work as a 4 v 4 but it should be btb. Last resort should be btb only. Fuckin bloodline is in team slayer. Whoever manages these has no clue what he's doing.

Edit: for those who were around (so like 3 of you at this point) I think I found a former halo gaffers alt http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1035049

AlStrong

Aye. Evolutions III by another name.
Would be great to get more authors from I & II.

I do also want to know more about Tom, Lucy, Mendez's etc whereabouts.

----

bleh, didn't realize there were exclusive stories in I & II that were not in the original release.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I have Comcast/Xfinity as well. For X1 games, I've never had to leave on overnight or power-down when DLing something, so the speeds have been OK for me. I have done it on my PS4 though and have seen DL's take forever when it's in that low power state. Not sure what to equate it to, but figured I'd chime in with my experience.

So it's safe to assume when it's in a low powered state...the Xbox is acting like you're not doing anything...

I still don't understand why it doesn't auto-update all things when you're not using the Xbox. That was their huge selling point...never having to worry about being prompted.

Mdot

So it's safe to assume when it's in a low powered state...the Xbox is acting like you're not doing anything...

I still don't understand why it doesn't auto-update all things when you're not using the Xbox. That was their huge selling point...never having to worry about being prompted.

I've DL'ed stuff remotely from the Smart Glass app that have always been ready once I actually turned it back on, but never started something and put it to "sleep" once in progress. Those DL's were usually smaller titles though.

willow ve

Any advice folks?

Absolutely get your own gear.

Get a motorola surfboard modem (~$60 on Amazon)
Go with whatever router you personally want to afford.
Cheaper router from TP-Link.
More expensive option Asus RT-N66U (what I have - never need to reset - can max my 50/10 connection in any room in the house - routinely have 10+ devices connected at all times).

Avoid the new Cisco / Linksys routers as I personally found them to be garbage.

Other than the one odd issue with some Xbox One patches / updates I've never needed to reset my hardware in 3+ years outside of updating firmware or changing security settings.

---

Also - doesn't the Comcast provided gear automatically become an open WiFi signal for anyone that has a Comcast login?

Akai__

I thought it was due to halo 3 forge being weird and maybe an oversight on 343 part to not include updated maps, just their launch counterparts. Thought something was preventin them from using map variants that aren't on halo 3 launch.

But when I ventured into swat I saw they had a variant of Orbital called SWARBITAL.

Wtf 343. Replace launch day maps with updated ones please.

Halo 3 Forge got fixed with the last update, that's why they could update the SWAT map. Good to know, that they actually did. Here's hoping, that they update other maps ASAP.

Tawpgun

Hooray, SWAT is back!

.. Everyone keeps voting for H3

jvClh6q.png
The only swat that takes skill Kappa

Swat is cancer anyway.

I can appreciate BR's in Halo 3 because it feels like the better man wins firefight. It's the only game in the collection that takes any effort to kill someone with the starting weapon. Halo CE 3 shotting is close. Followed by halo 2 BR because of the good strafe.

The rest of the games it's so easy to just 4 shot fools.

Kssio_Aug

One of the reasons I'm expecting Halo 5 so much is the fact that, being only 1 game, the number of quitters may considerably get lower, since if the guy doesnt like Halo 5, he just won't play it at all. It's proved to be really hard to integrate 4 online games in the same collection. The other reason, is that I still have hopes for a solid match-making there.

Hopefully, if Gears Collection gets released that doesnt happen so often. I don't know how different Gears 1, 2 and 3 are from one another.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

More expensive option Asus RT-N66U (what I have - never need to reset - can max my 50/10 connection in any room in the house - routinely have 10+ devices connected at all times).

Other than the one odd issue with some Xbox One patches / updates I've never needed to reset my hardware in 3+ years outside of updating firmware or changing security settings.

---

Also - doesn't the Comcast provided gear automatically become an open WiFi signal for anyone that has a Comcast login?

Willow, your post caught my eye.

Can you explain a bit more?

Would this one be okay to get?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XC6GJ0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It also says there's a newer version here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJHDZSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have to say, we started doing old school Halo customs with my friends and that game is still such a blast to play. I noticed how Halo 2-3 are so fun to play with with 2-4 people. Reach and Halo4, not so much. That could be why they struggled compared to 2-3.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I have to say, we started doing old school Halo customs with my friends and that game is still such a blast to play. I noticed how Halo 2-3 are so fun to play with with 2-4 people. Reach and Halo4, not so much. That could be why they struggled compared to 2-3.

You should try Halo CE with 2-4 people...perfect game.

Impala26

---

So you're saying something like this would be golden?

Also, yes, there is that piggy-backing thing that the Comcast gateways do. I'd be greatly hoping that would not happen with a personal gateway that's running on the Comcast network.

Tawpgun

So guys, overall with this latest update, how is the state of the game?
Matchmaking is pretty stable. Sometimes people in our party last night got put on the other team. Uneven teams sometimes but I think it was due to people dashboarding because of a vote or crashing.

And yeah CE was silly. It's fun but spawns are so silly sometimes.

I know some people will link halo spawns.net or whatever but it doesn't fix the fact that the spawns are simplistic. There is a skill to learning how the CE spawn system works, how movement and jumping work, but that doesn't mean it's not janky.

Kinda like how there was a skill to leading shots on halo pc but it's still janky to play lol.

Fuchsdh

Would be great to get more authors from I & II.

I do also want to know more about Tom, Lucy, Mendez's etc whereabouts.

----

bleh, didn't realize there were exclusive stories in I & II that were not in the original release.

They're fairly small stories, though they're good. I think you can basically read all of the Flood on High Charity one via Google Books. The other one is just the perspective of the Flood returning (which is odd, because it contradicts the Forerunner trilogy. So it's interesting to use it as an indicator of where 343 started developing the story with Bear.

So guys, overall with this latest update, how is the state of the game?

It's anecdotal but since the update I've seen a huge reduction in the amount of quitters. I think the message is getting out there.

They need to hurry up and get updated Halo 3 maps in there. It's gone on long enough. I really can't wait for H3 MLG gametypes; crazy to think last October I thought I'd be playing them in November.

Kssio_Aug

Played one match of Halo 4, and yeah uneven teams are back. Other then that, everything was fine! So I guess they mainly need to fix that uneven team stuff again, and make every playlist ranked since it seems to be getting good results by what you guys are saying.

daedalius

Would one of those Surfboard modems help with all the crazy amounts of noise I have been getting on my internet line lately?

That's what they keep telling me is wrong anyway.

Are you with customer support? Because this is all they ever tell me to do :p

a little off topic but that reminds me there was this one time I was with EA customer support because something was wrong with my copy of Battlefield 3 and they asked me, "Have you tried stopping your PC fan and turning off your PC?"

Haruko

a little off topic but that reminds me there was this one time I was with EA customer support because something was wrong with my copy of Battlefield 3 and they asked me, "Have you tried stopping your PC fan and turning off your PC?"

Make sure you stop the fan before turning off the PC, too. Preferably with a stick.

willow ve

Willow, your post caught my eye.

Can you explain a bit more?

Would this one be okay to get?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XC6GJ0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It also says there's a newer version here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJHDZSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Get the 6141 (newer one). That's the best value for the money.

So you're saying something like this would be golden?

Also, yes, there is that piggy-backing thing that the Comcast gateways do. I'd be greatly hoping that would not happen with a personal gateway that's running on the Comcast network.

Personal gateways won't have the piggyback issue (huge relief in apartment / city living).

I would not recommend the combo modem / router. They always felt like a swiss army knife to me - yes they can technically do a lot of things, but they generally don't do anything amazing.

Get a modem.
Get a separate router (especially as routers tend to fail faster than modems - so you can just replace the router is 3-4 years and not have to replace the whole setup).

AlStrong

They're fairly small stories, though they're good. I think you can basically read all of the Flood on High Charity one via Google Books. The other one is just the perspective of the Flood returning (which is odd, because it contradicts the Forerunner trilogy. So it's interesting to use it as an indicator of where 343 started developing the story with Bear.

Ah... hm... yeah, don't want to have to buy the whole two books just for the two stories. Local library only has the original release. :(

Guess I'll just consider the story information pooped by the Domain. :p

._.

Top Bottom