• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Everything 343 and CA have been doing since Halo 4 has been great leaps forward, but I am definitely concerned that the file sharing/community aspect has been neglected. Frankly Bungie's system wasn't great to begin with, and we should really have evolved beyond it—being able to have bundled map/gametype options, better use of tags, auto-updating or notifications for new versions, simpler links and in-game browsing a la a marketplace would go a long way to improving the experience.

yuuuup. still holding out hope for things like you mention. amazing that while forge has seem some pretty significant improvements, actually accessing that content has barely changed at all. amazing there isnt some sort of marketplace, ala trials, where you can vote on maps at the very least. ideally, there could even be a dedicated playlist that pulls from the highest rated maps. i'd enjoy a forge playlist with a shit ton of content, even if not all of it was AAA-tier. this would also, rather quickly i'd imagine, weed out the worst of the "highly rated" maps.

FyreWulff

yuuuup. still holding out hope for things like you mention. amazing that while forge has seem some pretty significant improvements, actually accessing that content has barely changed at all. amazing there isnt some sort of marketplace, ala trials, where you can vote on maps at the very least. ideally, there could even be a dedicated playlist that pulls from the highest rated maps. i'd enjoy a forge playlist with a shit ton of content, even if not all of it was AAA-tier. this would also, rather quickly i'd imagine, weed out the worst of the "highly rated" maps.

But we ha-

eh

i don't have the energy

Everything 343 and CA have been doing since Halo 4 has been great leaps forward, but I am definitely concerned that the file sharing/community aspect has been neglected. Frankly Bungie's system wasn't great to begin with, and we should really have evolved beyond it—being able to have bundled map/gametype options, better use of tags, auto-updating or notifications for new versions, simpler links and in-game browsing a la a marketplace would go a long way to improving the experience.

ego link

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
But we ha-

eh

i don't have the energy

assuming i know what you were going to say... i never saw much results from the community cartographer system (aside from getting a small number of maps actually into matchmaking) and think there is a better way. not a knock against the cartographers themselves btw.

FyreWulff

assuming i know what you were going to say... i never saw much results from the community cartographer system (aside from getting a small number of maps actually into matchmaking) and think there is a better way. not a knock against the cartographers themselves btw.

Actually not even that

Earlier in Reach's run, there were playlists with a shit-ton of Forge maps in them that lasted for a week. The idea was that the community votes would be taken into account, then the favorite maps from each huge batch would get more of a look, sent back for refinements, then promoted into the rest of matchmaking. The Cartographers were only a small group that could submit maps into that pool. The reason the playlists only lasted a week or so was because it was known that some of the maps could be potentially glitchy, so letting them only exist in MM for a short bit would keep people from unfairly disliking a map for bugs.

They stopped this system shortly a bit before takeover because Bungie had no idea if/how Reach would be updated after they handed it off, so the idea there was to get a bunch of new known super-tested variety of content in before the cutoff. So they didn't have time for experimental playlists like that anymore. 343 never picked up this idea where it left off. I thought it was great, personally. It didn't have the bottleneck of the CC-only system because CCs ended up having to directly test all content for playlist updates..

Fuchsdh

"Everything"

L2sGk.gif

*Relating to Forge since Halo 4's release. Context, people :p

But we ha-

eh

i don't have the energy

ego link

Good stuff there. I think the similar terminology might get confusing to some people, but some sort of bundling would be great.

Actually not even that

Earlier in Reach's run, there were playlists with a shit-ton of Forge maps in them that lasted for a week. The idea was that the community votes would be taken into account, then the favorite maps from each huge batch would get more of a look, sent back for refinements, then promoted into the rest of matchmaking. The Cartographers were only a small group that could submit maps into that pool. The reason the playlists only lasted a week or so was because it was known that some of the maps could be potentially glitchy, so letting them only exist in MM for a short bit would keep people from unfairly disliking a map for bugs.

They stopped this system shortly a bit before takeover because Bungie had no idea if/how Reach would be updated after they handed it off, so the idea there was to get a bunch of new known super-tested variety of content in before the cutoff. So they didn't have time for experimental playlists like that anymore. 343 never picked up this idea where it left off. I thought it was great, personally. It didn't have the bottleneck of the CC-only system because CCs ended up having to directly test all content for playlist updates..

I do distinctly remember getting to play a bunch of matches on unique Forge maps every couple of weeks back then. Most notable was probably a game of CTF on this kind of stout, heavy-set Blood Gulch / Containment / Timberland hybrid with really big, elaborate bases, hilly terrain and a couple of encampments placed throughout the terrain. I was playing with drunk sai and we were killing it for all of, like, 3 games. The buzzed battlefield in sai is real.

Mdot

Any idea when we'll hear some campaign stuff? E3 most likely? I just finished playing through 4 again (achievement whore) and I actually enjoyed it more than I remember, from a story stand point. Open those environments more and make it more fun to fight the Promethean/Forerunners, and it could be interesting.

VinFTW

New page reminder:

So I think I want to try my hand at a HaloGAF Halo 5 Beta montage as well.

If you guys want in, send me some clips (Preferably PM me).

1-2 clips max. PLEASE SEND ME THE XBOXCLIPS LINKS.

Overdoziz

Banned
Old news but coloring forge pieces is a great addition,
This is obviously based on a limited look at Halo 5's Forge, but I honestly think it's a bit disappointing. It took five games with Forge to get from not being able to to color objects to being able to paint relatively big parts of objects in different colors. Five games. With every game the colored strip got a tiny bit bigger. An improvement of course, but at this point I would've rather seen a completely different Forge mode. A Forge mode where we can create proper maps. A Forge mode where we can create maps that don't all look the same. A Forge mode where people's first reaction isn't: "ugh, a Forge map."

Sure, the new additions in Halo 4 and H2A were nice and neat things to experiment with, but mostly they're small additions to an already existing base Forge mode. Triggers, trait volumes, and shadows are great, but if in the end we still end up with about as little visual variety in between maps in Halo 5 as we did in Halo Reach you know something is wrong. Forge needs to get huge changes in terms of how they deal with the visuals of the maps, maybe even a completely overhaul of how the mode works.

I personally don't mind much what a map looks like (to a certain level of course) as long as it plays well, but the visual similarities between the Forge maps is a clear issue for something like matchmaking. A lot of players dislike this aspect of Forge and begin to dislike the mode itself because of it. This is why at this point I'm really tired of having to work with grey square blocks yet again.

jem0208

New page reminder:

So I think I want to try my hand at a HaloGAF montage as well.

Just Halo 5? Or MCC too?

Also what's the deadline for clips?

This is obviously based on a limited look at Halo 5's Forge, but I honestly think it's a bit disappointing. It took five games with Forge to get from not being able to to color objects to being able to paint relatively big parts of objects in different colors. Five games. With every game the colored strip got a tiny bit bigger. An improvement of course, but at this point I would've rather seen a completely different Forge mode. A Forge mode where we can create proper maps. A Forge mode where we can create maps that don't all look the same. A Forge mode where people's first reaction isn't: "ugh, a Forge map."

Sure, the new additions in Halo 4 and H2A were nice and neat things to experiment with, but mostly they're small additions to an already existing base Forge mode. Triggers, trait volumes, and shadows are great, but if in the end we still end up with about as little visual variety in between maps in Halo 5 as we did in Halo Reach you know something is wrong. Forge needs to get huge changes in terms of how they deal with the visuals of the maps, maybe even a completely overhaul of how the mode works.

I personally don't mind much what a map looks like (to a certain level of course) as long as it plays well, but the visual similarities between the Forge maps is a clear issue for something like matchmaking. A lot of players dislike this aspect of Forge and begin to dislike the mode itself because of it. This is why at this point I'm really tired of having to work with grey square blocks yet again.

I think it has something to o with engine limitations, if we don't have terrain editing by now it must be becuase of that right?

I also think the different lighting setting help the maps feel a bit different, hopefully we get a night setting along with the pale morning and reddish sunset we got in the beta.

Once the basic geometry of your map is done clever coloring of the pieces will definitely play a major role in getting your map to feel somewhat distinct.

New page reminder:

So I think I want to try my hand at a HaloGAF Halo 5 Beta montage as well.

Begun, the montage wars, have.

I'll send you some stuff. Good luck!

FyreWulff

You can change geometry in the Halo engine in real time with the Halo engine, although in previous titles this was a bit sketchy. In a new title you'd be able to deal with it. Historically it's just been easier to repurpose dynamic objects as 'terrain' ala the Reach / Halo 4 / Halo 2A rocks

It feels more like this more a result of Forge not getting a very big budget in programmer time and overall project scope. It's another duct tape on top of what was started in Halo 3.

I personally think the Halo 3 style of Forge has hit it's peak, outside of quality-of-life improvements they could make to it. Even Halo 2 Anniversary Forge still has the object limit of Halo 3. Unless they're going to swerve us with "these are just premade terrain maps, and Forge is just the object editor".

Also they NEED the ability to generate map preview thumbnails this time.

Many people here, and around the Halo community, don't realize how fast Halo CE is compared to the other Halos in the series.

Many of those people also assume speed of a game is dependent on the actual player movement speed...which isn't the case. You can have fast player movement speed all you want, slip sliding around a map, but if the time to kill is slow as molasses, the player movement speed be comes completely irrelevant.

Time to kill in Halo CE is insanely fast, the fastest out of all the Halos. It's just the pistol either, the sniper rifle, the rockets, the shotgun, the AR, the plasma rifle, they all have very fast times to kill. A game of slayer can end in a matter of 5 minutes sometimes...it's that fast. That's what I miss the most from Halo CE, the fast time to kill, the static timing power ups that were always spawning every 60 seconds depending on the map, the fast sniper rifle that spawned quickly, depending on the maps...the use of teleporters on the maps, all of it combined to make for a very fast paced Halo.

The movement speed though, I'd rank it slow, but above Halo 3...because in my opinion Halo 3's movement speed was the slowest.

Yeah man I've seen the many discussions on here and I've played with funknown enough that I believe you guys that CE is still a fast game. And while that's all good and dandy two and three are still very sluggish playing them again, especially 3. And while they're both wonderful games I played far too much Reach and ran sprint every game, so it's grown on me far too much.

I've always agreed if a higher base speed was used I wouldn't mind sprints removal but it always seems to be an ice skating rink in games with higher speed, although I'm sure that can be corrected. I've just never had a problem with things like Sprint and thruster helping get into and out of battles, knowing when to run and not give the other team a kill is an asset to your team. Shit, if only my random teammates would know when to bail.

Mdot

Yeah man I've seen the many discussions on here and I've played with funknown enough that I believe you guys that CE is still a fast game. And while that's all good and dandy two and three are still very sluggish playing them again, especially 3. And while they're both wonderful games I played far too much Reach and ran sprint every game, so it's grown on me far too much.

I've always agreed if a higher base speed was used I wouldn't mind sprints removal but it always seems to be an ice skating rink in games with higher speed, although I'm sure that can be corrected. I've just never had a problem with things like Sprint and thruster helping get into and out of battles, knowing when to run and not give the other team a kill is an asset to your team. Shit, if only my random teammates would know when to bail.

I agree with the use of thrusters. In the beta, it helped get into and out of battle. Sprint was not terrible. But like you mentioned, if the overall speed was on CE levels, I don't think sprint is as necessary.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I agree with the use of thrusters. In the beta, it helped get into and out of battle. Sprint was not terrible. But like you mentioned, if the overall speed was on CE levels, I don't think sprint is as necessary.

By speed we're talking time to kill right?

If time to kill increased a bit more in Halo 5, it would punish people running aimlessly around the maps. The no shield recharge tied to sprint definitely helps though.

dwells

AND I'M JUST GONNA SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE

I can't escape that song. I just can't. If only I didn't secretly love it so much.

Great work with the montage! Lots of cool stuff in there. I regret that my mediocre overkill extermination is the only thing I remembered to record. I never remember to do the double tap guide button and select record once things settle down and my shields are up.

AND I'M JUST GONNA SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE

I can't escape that song. I just can't. If only I didn't secretly love it so much.

Great work with the montage! Lots of cool stuff in there. I regret that my mediocre overkill extermination is the only thing I remembered to record. I never remember to do the double tap guide button and select record once things settle down and my shields are up.

song is terrible pls stop

jem0208

How many people have good clips from the MCC?

I'd be up for making a montage from MCC stuff, bit bored and I haven't got a lot to do this weekend.

Mix

ExWife and I are doing this Geometry wars thing. Idk, my first time playing it and I made it to the second round. #GetRekt

ExWife and I are doing this Geometry wars thing. Idk, my first time playing it and I made it to the second round. #GetRekt
Can confirm HaloGAF destroying PAX Geowars.

Don't forget to listen to Bitchin' and Reclaimer Radio

#FuckinRekt

dwells

Damn, I'm gonna hop on and buy that today - totally forgot about it. Need something to play at least.

I cracked the million mark in the first game. It was a one-off while inebriated somehow and I've never been able to do it again. I have no idea how the people who pulled off massive scores did it.

If time to kill increased a bit more in Halo 5, it would punish people running aimlessly around the maps. The no shield recharge tied to sprint definitely helps though.

Totally but honestly any faster and it would be too punishing to ever leave the corner you hide behind. While I love how that encouraged team play more I think it's fast enough right where it is. Although the pistol could use an improvement.

And I promise that shield recharge mechanic is pretty punishing as is. I had to completely rethink running up to multiple people simply because of how much damage they could dish out quickly but even more so that I had to stop running to charge back up.

jem0208

The TTK definitely does not need increasing in 5. It's almost too fast as it is.

Welfare

Cross posting with updated data.

This just in!

Battlefield 4, a game released 427 days, or 1 year, 2 months, and 1 day ago, is beating Halo MCC in population.

How can I be sure?

Your Xbox can tell you. Go to the game store and there will be a section of top games right now. BF4 is at the end of the list. MCC is no where on the list.

BF4 right now? 20,095 people are playing.

MCC? Below that.

343, how could you fuck this up?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Ouch....

BF4 even had the worst launch in history before MCC came along.

Maybe that means MCC will be good in 427 days.

Only 354 days to go.

I wonder if Frank still lurks among us.

I'm sure he does from time to time but from what I've seen he's mostly posting in the OT section.

I wouldn't blame him, the MCC threads these days are filled salt towards 343 lots and lots of salt.

Ouch....

BF4 even had the worst launch in history before MCC came along.

Maybe that means MCC will be good in 427 days.

Only 354 days to go.

They might as well discount the game for the population's sake.

Top Bottom