• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

MrDaravon

If the Specialization thing is true I'm switching my pre-order. I don't really care about skins or the Forward Unto Dawn download code or the case on the LE, and the Season Pass included with the LE ironically doesn't include the skins you get when you buy the Season Pass individually anyway. Also I'm already not even sure that I want the Season Pass, early access to the Specializations was the tipping point keeping me on board since I'm not sure if I'm going to care about that until it'd be way too late to cancel.

What the fuck are they doing over there?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Really debating flipping my sealed LE on Ebay, then getting my standard copy at the midnight launch. Only reason I'm even considering keeping it for myself is the rarity plus the hassle I'll have at Gamestop if I cancel it (I already paid off $25).

I mean seriously, an extra $40 for what, a steelbook, a poster, and emblems? I don't count the War Games pass, because you don't even get the same shit that you would from just buying the pass separately. The Limited Edition is literally losing its content slowly but surely.

This is borderline the worst collector's edition/limited edition I've seen. And I've seen the Tron: Evolution CE.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
SE + Season Pass is cheaper than the LE and it provides MORE in-game content at this point.
Yup. I switched my pre-order from LE to SE a month ago after the exclusive armor was revealed to be an exclusive armor skin. And now with this news, I'm even more confident I made the right choice. SE + Map Pass it is.

nillapuddin

15 bucks
=
steelbook case,
physical nerd items,
directors cut of FUD

you could atleast argue that FUD is worth that in itself
.. then you remember its digital, and will never leave your xbox
if it was like an HD download for the computer or something, I would be so down for that

I am kinda disappointed I wont get the normal game case, Ill end up buying a copy of the game and like taking the sleeve out or something, sell back to gamestop.

I like having the nerd items, but yeah.. this isnt looking like a great deal at all

they will get that extra 15 out of me as a token of appreciation, but I admit, I am a bit slantyface right now

Really considering flipping my sealed LE on Ebay, then getting my standard copy at the midnight launch. Only reason I'm even considering keeping it for myself is the rarity plus the hassle I'll have at Gamestop if I cancel it (I already paid off $25).

I mean seriously, an extra $40 for what, a steelbook, a poster, and emblems? I don't count the War Games pass, because you don't even get the same shit that you would from just buying the pass separately. The Limited Edition is literally losing its content slowly but surely.

This is borderline the worst collector's edition/limited edition I've seen. And I've seen the Tron: Evolutions CE.

Aw, hell. Will they really give me a hard time if I cancel my pre-order?

MrDaravon

I suppose it's possible that could mean that playing in the first two weeks gets you the Specializations earlier than the unwashed masses, but not instantly day one as you do with the LE. Like maybe playing in the first two weeks gets you the Specializations 60 days out, and everyone else is 90 days out or something?

I cancelled my LE weeks ago, GameStop employee was pissed I was paying less money, lol.

Practically everybody gonna get the specializations at the exact same time now, the War Games pass is actually WORSE than buying it separately, everybody gets Recruit Armor, an AR skin of all weapons, oh and I guess some exclusive emblems and digital doohickeys.

LOL

That Specilisation thing doesn't apply to anyone in Europe guys.

LOL Europe

This is getting ridiculous with the LE bonuses...

The least they could do is make sure we get the WarPass helmets.

As long as LOCUS is just a preorder skin and not a preorder helmet...

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

bGanci

Banned
well actually...

AWgoa.png
Ooooo I might keep the LE to sell.....

Guys! 343 just posted on Waypoint that if you buy the Map Pass and a standard-edition copy of Halo 4, you can trade your standard case in for a steelbook one while supplies last!

(Not really, but it could totally happen.)

Incentive for Halo 4 LE OST: give us the stems for all the tracks.

MrDaravon

The fact that we don't know and have to have discussions as to whether or not something is considered a skin or a piece of armor shows how fucking terrible marketing and rollout has been on this.

Karl2177

The fact that we don't know and have to have discussions as to whether or not something is considered a skin or a piece of armor shows how fucking terrible marketing and rollout has been on this.

It has been this way since the LE was originally announced. The only person who knows everything is apparently Shadders, since he was saying that everything was crystal clear as to what was included with each SKU.

Flipyap

This is borderline the worst collector's edition/limited edition I've seen. And I've seen the Tron: Evolution CE.
Clearly, you haven't seen the Fable II Collector's Edition:

"As originally envisioned, it would ship with a premium box, five printed "Fate" cards, a Hobbe figurine, a code for exclusive Halo-themed in-game DLC, and a bonus "Making of Fable II" DVD. Mere weeks before the game's release, though, Lionhead Studios announced that a "supply chain issue" would force Fable 2's collector's edition to ship without the cards, figurine, or premium box. Suddenly, the collector's edition price was dropped down to the standard game's price.

Lionhead tried to apologize by releasing printable .pdfs of the Fate card art and a free downloadable soundtrack that mostly consisted of music from the previous game. When the collector's edition finally did ship, many North American buyers found that their copies were missing the promised DLC codes, and all the content on the bonus DVD was already freely viewable online. Lionhead's response to the missing DLC codes was to make the content freely available to all Fable 2 owners. Ultimately, any player who bought Fable 2's collector edition got nothing special for their trouble save a cardboard slipcase."

Fracas

#fuckonami
Aw, hell. Will they really give me a hard time if I cancel my pre-order?
Might just be the Gamestop near my dorm, but they're awful with customers.

I've seen people return stuff and get pelted with questions:

"Are you sure you want to return this? It's an awesome game, you should give it more time"
"Okay, would you like store credit?"
Even if you say no, they just don't stop lol
"You can put this game's value towards a lot of things!"
"Would you like to get a subscription to Game Informer? It has all the hottest news about [insert game you're returning/preorder you're cancelling]!"
"Would you like to preorder any games coming out this season? I hear [insert upcoming Call of Duty game here] is going to be insane!"
"Do you have a Powerup Rewards card with us?"
"Would you like to get a Powerup Rewards card with us?"
"Are you sure?"

Repeat about 2 more times, and you can finally get your business done. Terrible.

"As originally envisioned, it would ship with a premium box, five printed "Fate" cards, a Hobbe figurine, a code for exclusive Halo-themed in-game DLC, and a bonus "Making of Fable II" DVD. Mere weeks before the game's release, though, Lionhead Studios announced that a "supply chain issue" would force Fable 2's collector's edition to ship without the cards, figurine, or premium box. Suddenly, the collector's edition price was dropped down to the standard game's price.

Lionhead tried to apologize by releasing printable .pdfs of the Fate card art and a free downloadable soundtrack that mostly consisted of music from the previous game. When the collector's edition finally did ship, many North American buyers found that their copies were missing the promised DLC codes, and all the content on the bonus DVD was already freely viewable online. Lionhead's response to the missing DLC codes was to make the content freely available to all Fable 2 owners. Ultimately, any player who bought Fable 2's collector edition got nothing special for their trouble save a cardboard slipcase."

Oh my God, I forgot all about that :lol
I remember borrowing it from my brother's friend and thinking "whoa how much did he pay for this?"

Guys! 343 just posted on Waypoint that if you buy the Map Pass and a standard-edition copy of Halo 4, you can trade your standard case in for a steelbook one while supplies last!

(Not really, but it could totally happen.)

Incentive for Halo 4 LE OST: give us the stems for all the tracks.
Gamestop employees said the same to me about 2 weeks ago, but I didn't know if their word was legit or not..

ElRenoRaven

Guys guys guys. Just trust them. Beli343!/sarcasm

Just makes me glad I decided to order the regular edition. I so need to start my playthrough of the other games if I'm going to them finished in time for Halo 4. Working now means I can't just play a couple days straight before it comes out. lol

Might just be the Gamestop near my dorm, but they're awful with customers.

I've seen people return stuff and get pelted with questions:

"Are you sure you want to return this? It's an awesome game, you should give it more time"
"Okay, would you like store credit?"
Even if you say no, they just don't stop lol
"You can put this game's value towards a lot of things!"
"Would you like to get a subscription to Game Informer? It has all the hottest news about [insert game you're returning/preorder you're cancelling]!"
"Would you like to preorder any games coming out this season? I hear [insert upcoming Call of Duty game here] is going to be insane!"
"Do you have a Powerup Rewards card with us?"
"Would you like to get a Powerup Rewards card with us?"
"Are you sure?"

Repeat about 2 more times, and you can finally get your business done. Terrible.

Ohhhh. My gamestop dudebros are surprisingly reasonable, but they're also a bit older, I'd guess late twenties. Not quite basement poopsockers, not quite voice-masking juniors. I pop in every now and then to ask questions (mostly about Halo 4 shit, like the pricing of the warhead headphones before it got published) and they're pretty good about all of it. They seem to care a bit about the consumer (!) considering I buy pretty much every halo-related product from them anyway.

OH BOY I COME HOME TO MORE GRRRREAT NEWS ABOUT MY LIMITED EDITION COPY OF HALO 4

EXCELLENT JOB 343 AND/OR XBOX MARKETING DEPARTMENT FOR EXPLAINING ALL OF THESE THINGS BEFOREHAND

literally about to cancel my order for the LE and just get the standard and the map pass

MrDaravon

You're not wrong, but at least this was released at standard $59.99, or I think it might have been $5 more. $5 for a slipcase is arguably not as bad as what seems to be happening here.

I'm not one to feel entitled to much but as customer I kind of want an explanation as to what happened with this LE.

It may not be perfect but it makes sense if you think about it. Save for a few slips of paper (which would naturally be easiest to produce en masse) everything else is attainable because this is 343's first big game and Microsoft isn't giving them the exact same permissions as Bungie yet. Even though the budget and 343's staff are ridiculously good anyway, it's probably just because it's the start of the trilogy. As hype builds back up again and Halo becomes the powerhouse it once was with this new trilogy I'm sure we'll get better goodies in limited editions.

Bsigg12

I'm not one to feel entitled to much but as customer I kind of want an explanation as to what happened with this LE.

I'm right there with you. LE should be something worth getting that has stuff that other people can't normally gain access to. I know the argument will be it only lasts for 2 weeks but how many millions of people will have the game within the first week?

The specializations were the only thing keeping me tied to the LE but now I just don't know what to think.

dalVlatko

Halo 2 LE is still the best. Second disc was awesome.

I gave up on them after Halo 3. Don't know how I got tricked into getting the cat helmet and the second disc wasn't that great. Not to mention that you could probably still go to a best buy somewhere and get one for $20.

i dropped my LE preorder last week. didn't seem worth it for the ultra awesome special edition never before seen stack of papers what the hell UNSC Briefing Packet!!!

i'm getting the console now that my current one is broke (currently borrowing sisters xbox, lol), and that halo 4 art book. i'll make my own LE, with blackjack, and hookers.

MrDaravon

Halo 2 LE is still the best. Second disc was awesome.

I gave up on them after Halo 3. Don't know how I got tricked into getting the cat helmet and the second disc wasn't that great. Not to mention that you could probably still go to a best buy somewhere and get one for $20.

I agree that the cat helmet was terrible, but I thought the 2nd disc was great, even kept it after I got rid of the game a while back. I'm a sucker for commentary tracks though. Reach's commentary was terrible and wasn't even on a disc.

i tried to tweet bsangel about that specifically awhile ago, she gave me a "check the bulletin <3" type response

In further attempts, I was ignored

:(

I tried.

"Ignored" isn't the word I would really use (I know you didn't mean it harshly). Jess and the community team are also under instruction to deliver information in a specific manner, in both method and timeliness. I am sure that there are plenty of people at 343 who would love to be able to give completely clear and definitive answers on all our various concerns and queries, but just aren't at the liberty to do so.

Unfortunate truths often go hand in hand with large corporate landscapes, even ones we support and enjoy strongly.

It's just that things were terribly explained.

In the beginning, we all thought we were getting exclusive Recruit armor, plus the two map pass helmets, plus all the fancy other stuff.

Then we find out through digging, not being told, that Recruit isn't exclusive. Woops. Oh well, we're still getting these two other cool helmets. Oh, not those either? Uh, that doesn't meake much sense at all, but okay. At least we still get early access to the specializa-well, shit.

I wish I had been told in black and white what I was getting when I decided to plop down 99 dollars on this limited edition. I also wish the rationale behind map pass buyers getting the helmets and LE buyers NOT getting it would be explained. Because it makes. no. sense.

It's really frustrating.

zap

Ugh, the LE is now a nerd tax? It's not better value than buying things separately? :|

This is a massive bungle.

Top Bottom