• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Spoilers in the MLG stream contradict the other 2 times I've been spoiled?
What the hell?

No one knows the real ending to Halo 4!
They're probably mixing the general ending with the "Legendary" ending. Kind of a Dick move to grab attention and ruining it for others... Sorry to hear about this guys :/

Edit: Even though my curiosity to know about the spoilers got the better of me, But the real experience is best playing it yourself which I cannot wait! :]

MrDaravon

Facebook points thing seems to be out of codes already. Got one (and it worked), with a separate FB account now just nothing loads in the code section. Small print said while supplies last, and people on CAG reporting the same thing as well, looks like a lot of people got multiple codes. Would have liked to gotten one or two more, but hard to complaint about 400 free points.

Mayyhem

Okay I did it once on my account/computer and it works. I'm assuming you can only do it once per account, because the second time I tried it gave me the same code

Dug

Banned
Facebook points thing seems to be out of codes already. Got one (and it worked), with a separate FB account now just nothing loads in the code section. Small print said while supplies last, and people on CAG reporting the same thing as well, looks like a lot of people got multiple codes. Would have liked to gotten one or two more, but hard to complaint about 400 free points.
Damn, that was quick. Hope they restock on codes. :p

Fracas

#fuckonami
They're probably mixing the general ending with the "Legendary" ending. Kind of a Dick move to grab attention and ruining it for others... Sorry to hear about this guys :/

They completely contradict each other though. Like there's no possible way all this is from the same ending.

What I'm guessing is people are posting a load of bunk just to mess with people. Don't correct me if I'm wrong though. I don't really know the ending of Halo 4, and I'm happy with that.

blamite

Today I learned that if you try to make two new facebook accounts in a row, you need to use a phone number to verify each one. :/

m23

I'm a bit afraid of going to midnight launch, never know when someone's gonna come by and yell the ending. I've been waiting a long time for this, much like all of us here, I don't know what I'd do if I get spoiled. Red Dead Redemption was completely ruined for me because of someone, had no motivation to play it afterwards.

I'm a bit afraid of going to midnight launch, never know when someone's gonna come by and yell the ending. I've been waiting a long time for this, much like all of us here, I don't know what I'd do if I get spoiled. Red Dead Redemption was completely ruined for me because of someone, had no motivation to play it afterwards.

Just blast music with headphones the whole time.

Oozer3993

So instead of paying $99 for the LE I should just get the SE for $59 and Season pass for $20 (correct? or is it MS points?)

The War Games Map Pass is $25. If you're not interested in the Forward Unto Dawn film and bonus materials, or the briefing packet, or the steel case, or the skins and Avatar items, then yes, grab the standard edition and the War Games Map Pass.

Yeah, this is bullshit. I mean the fucking LE basically lies about its content being exclusive. First the exclusive armor turned to skins, and now this. And don't get me started on the season pass thingy not including the helmets, which makes zero sense. This is one thing Bungie would have never allowed.

It was ALWAYS an armor skin. It never changed:

• Bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE

The Limited Edition includes the following bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE: unique in-game Spartan-IV armor skin, unique in-game weapon skin for the Assault Rifle, an exclusive in-game emblem, Xbox LIVE Avatar prop, and Xbox LIVE Avatar Spartan IV armor set.

From the May reveal of the Limited Edition, courtesy of the May 16th Halo Bulletin.

Booties

Banned
Glad to see you finally on the hype train, buddy.
Oh I've always been hyped because its halo and it sells itself. I still think every choice 343 make as far as additions/subtractions go are god awful. We increase your choices by eliminating them!

But seriously, this LE sounds awesome.

Merguson

Banned
Sucks for some of the content in the Limited Edition to end up not being that exclusive at all..

Still going to keep the LE because it'll end up costing me more if I get the standard edition plus the war games pass as opposed to the LE.. (note: my LE is cheaper than the retail price)

So I found some info on how extraction works.

There are multiple "sites" on a map, essentially territories. By default 2 of these are visible at a time. There is an amount of time to "arm" the site with a beacon for extraction. You must guard the extraction site for the amount of extraction time. The other team is able to "convert" a site in a given amount of time and then must protect it themselves for the extraction time. Once a site is extracted you get points and a new site spawns.

This sounds like a great replacement for territories. I am in all sorts of approval. :) Some of us did something like this with Invasion with having a phase be a capture territory and then the next phase be a territory with a longer capture timer and the defending team had to jump in and pause the timer long enough to ensure that you ran out the timer before the offensive team was able to cap it. Loads of fun. The dynamic of two of these points at a time seems like it will be awesome.

The thing about ranks in H3, without any network manipulation or derank -exp bullshit, is it was extremely accurate skill-wise.

A 45 in team slayer is quite respectable. But if you're a 50, you were at the top of the pile. If you earned it.

Karl2177

The thing about ranks in H3, without any network manipulation or derank -exp bullshit, is it was extremely accurate skill-wise.

A 45 in team slayer is quite respectable. But if you're a 50, you were at the top of the pile.

And someone like me who only played ranked when I had at least 1 other person to play with? I'm "truly" a 29 or whatever it was?

Korosenai

A 45 in team slayer is quite respectable. But if you're a 50, you were at the top of the pile.
Felt so good getting my 50 in team slayer and team doubles on my main account. I never thought it would happen.

I was locked at 46 for the longest time in team slayer (at least a year, not being able to get past 47), and 43 in team doubles.

So I found some info on how extraction works.

There are multiple "sites" on a map, essentially territories. By default 2 of these are visible at a time. There is an amount of time to "arm" the site with a beacon for extraction. You must guard the extraction site for the amount of extraction time. The other team is able to "convert" a site in a given amount of time and then must protect it themselves for the extraction time. Once a site is extracted you get points and a new site spawns.

This sounds like a great replacement for territories. I am in all sorts of approval. :) Some of us did something like this with Invasion with having a phase be a capture territory and then the next phase be a territory with a longer capture timer and the defending team had to jump in and pause the timer long enough to ensure that you ran out the timer before the offensive team was able to cap it. Loads of fun. The dynamic of two of these points at a time seems like it will be awesome.

Territories refresher sounds good, not being like assault sounds bad.

Ken

I guess everyone getting the LE is forgetting the Physical Content that they're exclusively getting, rather focussing on complaining about the fact that they're not getting enough Exclusive Virtual Content.

I don't know anyone who is getting the LE for the briefing packet.

And someone like me who only played ranked when I had at least 1 other person to play with? I'm "truly" a 29 or whatever it was?

I think going in solo was the best way to represent your current skill level. If you're a 29, you're being matched with other +/-5 29s. In that environment, a 50 would dominate the match. That is what H3 truskill was constantly trying to determine for you. It would not drop a 50 into a match full of 29s.

I know Frankles has been working on a ranking system for H4, so I am hopeful. Call me the 1% in this case.

Fotos

After watching the Gamestop trailer again i'm really noticing the colors. They are bright again! The colors in Reach were horrible. Im lovin it.
Also, we were told that we can lower our weapons over Xbox Live right?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

Thank you for making me look up what comes with the LE, because i just noticed this on Amazon:

"Track your groups, stats and scores on HaloWaypoint.com"

Groups?

Is that a new word for Clans?

Blissful

Neo Member
I really appreciate you guys. Thank you for showing me that buying the LE edition is a waste of money (not being sarcastic, I actually can use the money for something else now)

Korosenai

Just realized the OST comes out a week from now.

I originally preordered the LE, but $86 was way too much, so I switched to the standard.

Karl2177

I guess everyone getting the LE is forgetting the Physical Content that they're exclusively getting, rather focussing on complaining about the fact that they're not getting enough Exclusive Virtual Content.

If that's really your issue, change your pre-order and stop bitching. The Reach LE was fucking baller, and i'm pissed i couldn't preorder the Halo4 LE when it was available.

Here's the thing though dimgy. Many of us preordered the LE without fully knowing what we were getting. We waited for clarification until the last possible minute. It still didn't come. We preordered anyways complaining that the marketing was awful. A few weeks later, we finally get clarification, but it's about as clear as your mirror after a hot shower. Another clarification leads to disappointment about virtual goods. This continues one after another. Until finally we are left with only physical content in the LE. What do we know about the Infinity booklet?

UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet - Includes an armour customisation schematic, a blueprint of the massive ship itself, and insight into what it means to be one of humanity's finest warriors: the Spartan-IVs.

Who is this packet written by? How many pages is it? Why should I care?

Surely you can understand that those of us who wanted to make an educated purchase about a game we care about are going to be disappointed with the news that we aren't getting any timed exclusives. We were either forced into a corner or left in the cold; something that you don't want to do to the people purchasing your product.

Enfinit

I have it pre-ordered for the content, equally both the physical and virtual. Here's my thought process.

It's going to be $107 total, including tax, where I live, for the Limited Edition. The game itself would be roughly $65. That leaves $47 left over. The War Games pass is $25, which I'd inevitably buy in the future. That leaves $22 left over.

This means the extra $22 pays for the steel case (which looks pretty cool), access to all 8 specializations (of which I probably won't take advantage of, but it's there nonetheless), the briefing packet (which is pretty neat for the lore), the complete FUD series available to download (which you could find online anyways), two ViDocs (of which you'd also probably be able to find online), and some Xbox Live avatar stuff/skins/emblems.

Is it worth the extra $22 for all this stuff? Maybe. If I'm already going to shell out $90 for the game + DLC, $60 for the UNSC controller, and $80 for the LE soundtrack, might as well shell out an extra $20 for some more random Halo stuff. To me, I've always ordered the Limited/Legendary editions for every Halo game. It's a tradition at this point. Is it the most financially savvy? Probably not. But it satisfies me as a fan, and that's what matters.

Free 400 msp

I believe its only for my fellow Canadians. Do a Dance Central Survey on Facebook and get 400 msp.

Fuck, I can't stay off gaf, there go my plans to stay dark here.

On the topic of the LE, I am very disappointed. This is possibly the worst LE I have ever bought, yet I'll still get it....
Quiz isn't even loading anymore. Lame.

Edits: Whoops, spoke too soon. Got my 400 points. Looks like you can only do it once per Facebook account.

Ken

Until finally we are left with only physical content in the LE. What do we know about the Infinity booklet?

You should care because getting the LE is the only way you will know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's probably just a few pictures and some words you'll look at once and never come back to again.

Expensive controller and soundtrack but as you said if it satisfies you as a fan that's what matters.

Karl2177

HaloGAF at NYCC: Day 3 (Booth and Panel)

A short gallery of HaloGAF's Saturday afternoon shenanigans at New York Comic-Con. This covers the booth/show floor and the Halo 4 panel. There's also an avatar shirt code for the first to grab it...

Tomorrow I'll post the pics from that evening's festivities.

hyperslurper.jpg

I spit out a bit of Dr. Pepper upon seeing this.

Just wait until you see the pics from later that night. Tomorrow's gallery post will be amazing.

-------
Forgot that I disabled comments, jhferry. Can't be too careful about spoilers these days. Thanks for the notice here, I'll add an update to the blog post.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Thank you for making me look up what comes with the LE, because i just noticed this on Amazon:

Groups?

My guess is it's an extension of what's on the Waypoint app, where you can do side-by-side comparisons of stats (BPR, etc.) w/ people on your friends list.

Oozer3993

I'm certainly excited for it. I'm a sucker for anything that adds to the fiction.

Here's the thing though dimgy. Many of us preordered the LE without fully knowing what we were getting. We waited for clarification until the last possible minute. It still didn't come. We preordered anyways complaining that the marketing was awful. A few weeks later, we finally get clarification, but it's about as clear as your mirror after a hot shower. Another clarification leads to disappointment about virtual goods. This continues one after another. Until finally we are left with only physical content in the LE. What do we know about the Infinity booklet?

Surely you can understand that those of us who wanted to make an educated purchase about a game we care about are going to be disappointed with the news that we aren't getting any timed exclusives. We were either forced into a corner or left in the cold; something that you don't want to do to the people purchasing your product.

What clarification? It was pretty unambiguous back in May. There was nothing vague about it, aside from what Specializations were. Everything else was laid out explicitly.

Halo Bulletin 5.16.2012 said:
Halo 4 Limited Edition

Available for preorder today, the Halo 4 Limited Edition maximizes your multiplayer experience and puts you in the boots of a Spartan-IV aboard the UNSC Infinity – the hub of your Halo multiplayer career.

The Halo 4 Limited Edition will be available at the estimated retail price of $99.99 and includes:

• War Games Map Pack Access

The competitive multiplayer modes of Halo 4 are known as War Games. The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps - three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox LIVE. Yes, you read that correctly; you get nine maps in the form of future DLC with the purchase of the Halo 4 Limited Edition. Score!

• Specializations

Everyone will have access to select Specializations, but those that purchase the Halo 4 Limited Edition will receive the ability to unlock six Specializations early, available at launch on Xbox LIVE. You can use them, one at a time, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specializations unlock new customization options. We’ll be releasing more information about Specializations at E3, so expect additional details about this particular feature then.

• UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet

The UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet includes a Spartan armor customization schematic, information about UNSC weapons, an introduction to the massive ship UNSC Infinity, and insight into what it means to be one of humanity’s finest warriors: The Spartan-IVs. Story lovers will especially enjoy this in-fiction offering that provides a glimpse into the indoctrination of Spartans aboard the Infinity.

• Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn Special Edition

The Special Edition of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn is a 90-minute extended version of the live-action digital series which will take fans back to the terrifying beginning of the Human/Covenant war, when the Master Chief inspired a young cadet who would eventually become a leader aboard the UNSC’s greatest vessel ever: the UNSC Infinity.

Digital content also includes in-fiction bonus content that expands the characters and stories of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, special featurette Bringing Gaming into Reality, and a behind the scenes look at the making of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn.

• Bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE

The Limited Edition includes the following bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE: unique in-game Spartan-IV armor skin, unique in-game weapon skin for the Assault Rifle, an exclusive in-game emblem, Xbox LIVE Avatar prop, and Xbox LIVE Avatar Spartan IV armor set.

Groups?

I've been waiting for word on "Groups" as well. There was an official statement of "create, track and manage groups". It is unknown if groups = clans *crosses fingers

Top Bottom