• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I want to do a write up about my impressions of H4 multiplayer but I don't even know where to begin. I played a fuck ton of matches. Let's see what I can rattle off the top of my head.

-Assists are fixed
-Railgun is the greatest gun in the game
-Customizable loadouts is huge
-Personal Ordnance is a fucking gem
-H4 Needler is the best iteration of the gun in the entire series
-Slayer Pro is awesome
-Infinity Slayer is awesome
-Dominion is very cool
-Saw is badass
-Returning objective gametypes have been tweaked and improved (don't know about CTF yet)
-New objective gametypes are cool and have lots of potential
-Played the most enjoyable game of Grifball ever
-Infection is badass
-Best maps so far: Haven, Abandon, Adrift, Complex, Solace (not including pre built Forge maps)
-Mid tier maps so far: Everything else (not including pre built forge maps)
-Global ordnance scares me a little
-Shotgun sounds insanely great
-I love all the new medals
-Text in middle of screen is so far from noticeable while playing. Arguments against are invalid
-Regicide is ok. FFA in general seems to work better than it did in H3 and Reach. Don't know what tweaks cause it.
-Feels like Halo 2 mixed with Reach. Good jump height but sharp and crisp, not clumsy and floaty.
-Grenades are more rare
-Melees are less frequent but not gone
-Blur effect in Regen field is pretty fucking smart
-Pro Pipe > Sticky Detonator but that doesn't mean Sticky Detonator isn't fun to use
-No scopes are still easy
-Headshots with sniper from behind are more difficult than in Reach
-Sweep sniping is very tough
-Feels like less autoaim with sniper
-Flood with Thrust is a blast
-Slide jumping is very much back

I reserve the right to change my opinion after months of online play.

Ramirez

That VCR helmet doesn't look nearly as bad in game. Armory shots are pointless, it looks completely different in game for whatever reason.

Nazgul11

*Gasps for air* I just finished a Halo 3 montage of my teammate and I that I've been working on since May. It took waaaaay more work than I thought it would, but it was worth it. I'll make sure to post it hear when it's uploaded. Probably will be tomorrow.

Ramirez

*Gasps for air* I just finished a Halo 3 montage of my teammate and I that I've been working on since May. It took waaaaay more work than I thought it would, but it was worth it. I'll make sure to post it hear when it's uploaded. Probably will be tomorrow.

Chapel's alt account?

-Assists are fixed
-Slayer Pro is awesome
-Dominion is very cool
-Saw is badass
-Returning objective gametypes have been tweaked and improved (don't know about CTF yet)
-Infection is badass
-Best maps so far: Haven, Abandon, Adrift, Complex, Solace (not including pre built Forge maps)
-Text in middle of screen is so far from noticeable while playing. Arguments against are invalid
-Regicide is ok. FFA in general seems to work better than it did in H3 and Reach. Don't know what tweaks cause it.
-Feels like Halo 2 mixed with Reach. Good jump height but sharp and crisp, not clumsy and floaty.
-Grenades are more rare
rock.gif

Edit: so if I am in Europe and I don't buy the LE, what do I miss? Some Specializations, for a while? Oh no, I will have to wait for some top-tier perks that Frankie insists don't really impact gameplay. Guess I don't have a reason to preorder!

blamite

I want to do a write up about my impressions of H4 multiplayer but I don't even know where to begin. I played a fuck ton of matches. Let's see what I can rattle off the top of my head.

-Assists are fixed
-Slayer Pro is awesome
-Dominion is very cool
-Saw is badass
-Infection is badass
-Grenades are more rare
-Pro Pipe > Sticky Detonator but that doesn't mean Sticky Detonator isn't fun to use

i love you

I actually appreciated some of the MP achievos in Halo 3.

Map Pack specific Achievements can suck a dong, though.

On my quest for 100% reach, we as a full party searched objective for 4 hours (FOUR HOURS) to get a 1flag CTF Defiant game.

While I understand it was easier to attain when defiant and noble were the only 2 packs/reach was more popular, did they not consider any players that would play reach later in the games life?

DLC hoppers are REQUIRED when a population declines. Using "it will split up the population too much!" is an absolute bullshit excuse. What's the point of a 1 player firefight hopper this late? People can play that shit from the main menu. A "classic playlist" consisting of 4 maps and literally broken gametypes? Remove that shit and have a playlist that supports ALL RELEASED DLC. Regular Matchmaking and TU matchmaking? It's a Title Update released to actually fix the game? Why have two of everything? Consolidate that stuff, make room for playlists that are ACTUALLY NEEDED when the population is so low, as you put it! ;)

I can't wait for Halo 4. A lot of my gripes just go with the fact that the last halo game made is considered "old" and isn't very well supported by any devs.
Have you seen what happens to playlists in Reach when they become DLC required?
Great post until I read that Adrift was great.

Funny joke bro.

Just busting your balls.

But seriously...
Super positive impressions from a non scrub doesn't make the wait any easier.

Ice cold.

blamite

the comments are saying LE gets everything in the Recruit picture

http://halo4nation.com/images/preorder-bonuses-in-hd/

I sure hope so. Are the images straight from MS? If they are I'd think that's at least partial confirmation they've listened to complaints and added the helmets to the LE Map Pass.

Also Venator doesn't look as cool "in person" as it did in the concept images. I'm still glad I chose the Best Buy preorder bonus over Gamestop's, but I doubt I'll actually use it much...

Question:

Left: bound state

Right: unbound

Is that right, or do I have it backward?

Pretty sure you have it right.

-Assists are fixed
-Slayer Pro is awesome
-Dominion is very cool
-Saw is badass
-Grenades are more rare

ikMxCeCEIoTdL.gif

Nazgul11

-Assists are fixed
-Slayer Pro is awesome
-Dominion is very cool
-Saw is badass
-Infection is badass
-Grenades are more rare

A lot of this is so good to hear.

How are the headshot hitboxes when sniping (scoped) compared to Reach?

I sure hope so. Are the images straight from MS? If they are I'd think that's at least partial confirmation they've listened to complaints and added the helmets to the LE Map Pass.

Also Venator doesn't look as cool "in person" as it did in the concept images. I'm still glad I chose the Best Buy preorder bonus over Gamestop's, but I doubt I'll actually use it much...

Pretty sure you have it right.

The venator helmet is in game. thats a skin

The War Games Map Pass is $25. If you're not interested in the Forward Unto Dawn film and bonus materials, or the briefing packet, or the steel case, or the skins and Avatar items, then yes, grab the standard edition and the War Games Map Pass.

It was ALWAYS an armor skin. It never changed:

From the May reveal of the Limited Edition, courtesy of the May 16th Halo Bulletin.

Yes, but some press releases and websites after that stated it was exclusive armor. I mean.. I get it, thats what it is. But it still is not ideal for fans, there is like nothing exclusive to the LE. Honestly, Im fine with digital content being available for everyone, but when thing after thing gets removed from exclusivity it definitely drops in value.

So I found some info on how extraction works.

There are multiple "sites" on a map, essentially territories. By default 2 of these are visible at a time. There is an amount of time to "arm" the site with a beacon for extraction. You must guard the extraction site for the amount of extraction time. The other team is able to "convert" a site in a given amount of time and then must protect it themselves for the extraction time. Once a site is extracted you get points and a new site spawns.

This sounds like a great replacement for territories. I am in all sorts of approval. :) Some of us did something like this with Invasion with having a phase be a capture territory and then the next phase be a territory with a longer capture timer and the defending team had to jump in and pause the timer long enough to ensure that you ran out the timer before the offensive team was able to cap it. Loads of fun. The dynamic of two of these points at a time seems like it will be awesome.

Ok, that sounds simple but fun.

Question:

Left= Disappointed face
Right= Pokeball

Question:

My guess is left = (Silentium spoilers)
Bornsteller Didact
, right =
ur-Didact
. But I haven't really been keeping up with everything, so I'm not sure.

I like it, but I agree

http://halo4nation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/halo_4_dlc_armure_octobre_2012_4.jpeg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's hideous.

Or play by the 20th.

Sorry I can't load up the image - do they mention if the offer works in the UK? If so limited edition pre-order will almost certainly get cancelled lol

Edit: woah it doesn't apply to Europe - are they trying to screw over European fans? First double exp an now specializations early - damn Americans are gonna have the advantage

Tashi

@tashi
Vehicles? Anything?

Warthog:

-Feels more grounded
-Satisfying feel and speed
-effective weaponry

Mongoose:

-Fast, fast, fast
-Still not great for splatters
-Not much has changed

Ghost:

-Long boost
-Effective but not overpowering plasma turrets
-Can still splatter effectively

Banshee:

-Still very powerful
-Evasive maneuvers are more clumsy
-Fuel Rod Cannon shot is powerful
-Doesn't seem as fast (full boost) as previous iterations

Mantis:

-Intuitive controls
-Very scary
-Rival to the Banshee and vice versa
-Eats infantry alive
-Can be sitting duck if not careful
-Tough armor

Tank:

-Not much has changed

Wraith:

-Shots are very strong
-Firing arc requires time to adjust. Doesn't seem like it has the range
-Boost is longer
-Boost feels like it starts slow and then builds more speed

Vehicles are strong, like they should be. However with customizable loadouts, everyone can have a plasma pistol. Maps with vehicles will require skill and thought from both those in vehicles and those on foot.

Other random impressions:

AR, Suppressor, Storm Rifle are far from useless. They are consistently better than the precision rifles in the right range. Consistently better. Not just shield strippers but solid finishing power.

-Hitting a charged shot with the bolt shot is difficult
-Scattershot has a fast firing rate. Don't know if it's too fast though.
-Instasplosion is in
-Grenade ordnance is not random. It is locked.

Yuhas, I didn't say Adrift was great. I said it was better than half of the rest at the moment.

Nazgul, hitboxes feel the same or similar with sniper. However because of less autoaim is requires greater timing. The less you move the stick while zoomed in the easier the shot becomes to hit. I think sweep snipes and no scopes in Halo 4 will be far more impressive than in Reach because of how difficult they are. I found myself taking a very long time lining up shots on people who were stationary.

Just rewatched that IGN walkthrough vid of Complex and the same worry popped into my head..

Is the Ghost too wobbly?

Look at when he bumps into the doorways and rides off the edge, and notice how the right wing hangs off the ledge as if that tip holds all the Ghost's weight, drops off very fast, then it flips over after it hits the ground.. seems pretty unstable.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
I love 4v4, I love the fun casual gametypes, but my heart will always be with the mix of vehicular/infantry combat. 5v5 on StandOff was my pinnacle of Halo. I hope it comes back with 4.

I like you.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Vehicles are strong, like they should be.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
I love 4v4, I love the fun casual gametypes, but my heart will always be with the mix of vehicular/infantry combat. 5v5 on StandOff was my pinnacle of Halo. I hope it comes back with 4.

AR, Suppressor, Storm Rifle are far from useless. They are consistently better than the precision rifles in the right range. Consistently better. Not just shield strippers but solid finishing power.

-Hitting a charged shot with the bolt shot is difficult
-Scattershot has a fast firing rate. Don't know if it's too fast though.
-Instasplosion is in
-Grenade ordnance is not random. It is locked.

Yuhas, I didn't say Adrift was great. I said it was better than half of the rest at the moment.

Lol just giving you shit. :p

Storm Rifle is beast, no one who hasn't played it believes, and then when they do and they use it, they say damn that weapon is good.

feel

Nice info Tashi!! Thanks again.

Just rewatched that IGN walkthrough vid of Complex and the same worry popped into my head..

Is the Ghost too wobbly?

Look at when he bumps into the doorways and rides off the edge, and notice how the right wing hangs off the ledge as if that tip holds all the Ghost's weight, drops off very fast, then it flips over after it hits the ground.. seems pretty unstable.
I've been complaining about this a lot, glad to finally see someone else mention it.

Tashi

Main Rifles:

Battle Rifle:

-Good range
-Reliable spread
-Feels better than DMR and light rifle mid range but on par with Carbine
-Gets beat by DMR and Light Rifle long range pretty consistently.

DMR:

-Fantastic Range
-Bloom only a factor at very long range
-Very good mid range-long range but is edged slightly in mid-close range by Carbine and BR it seems.
-Might be best overall starting rifle

Carbine:

-Pretty good range
-Fantastic clean up weapon
-Hard to hit headshots at very long range
-Hard to get multiple kills with one clip in mid range on fully shielded opponents.

Light Rifle:

-Solid unzoomed performance.
-Fantastic mid-long range zoomed in
-Close to BR and Carbine mid-close range
-Can be used zoomed in at mid to close range because you don't get knocked out of zoom anymore
-Has great potential
-Very solid every game starting weapon

I think that's about right if my memory serves me well enough. Keep in mind this is all on LAN.

Edit:

Grenades:

Frags:

-Feels like shorter range
-Very large bouncing off walls and ramps.
-Still very powerful, will drops shields

Plasma:

-Can insta-splode similar to Halo 3
-Still kills with one if too close
-Sticking is not too hard or too easy

Pulse grenade:

-Ineffective if used like frags or plasmas
-More situational use rather than general use
-Good as path blockers and controllers of enemy movement.

edit 2:

-Simultaneous gun kills are way down (could change with online play)
-I still do not like death cam. However, I see how it can be a great tool for new players. Important to have because of the implementation of instant spawning in certain game modes. I wish I could disable it for myself. It can be quickly skipped in gametypes without instant spawning
-Dead body camera allows rotation around all bodies dead or alive no matter the order in which you switch to them or switch back. An actual mystery as to why we couldn't in Reach.

CyReN

Again the Suddoths are running a illegal Halo stream of the newest game, this time trying to play it off using Pros names. Sad.

Top Bottom