• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Gray Man

Banned
Have we got any good pictures of the new control schemes in the game?

On that same note I haven't seen a lot of gameplay with the boltshot.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi, if I can ask what does SLRP even stand for other than, I guess buying into the hype?

What do you think is balanced about Infinity slayer, and what do you think is Unbalanced about it?

In my interpretation of SLRP, it's buying into 343. I certainly did after this trip.

As far as balance is concerned, I think the varied starting weapons and AA's work very well together for the most part. I say for the most part because I think that some AA's and armor mods work best for maps over others. I don't necessarily know if that's imbalance but we are already seeing the meta game begin to form. I worry that it will be so dicey that we won't have enough customizable loadout slots lol. I'm worried about the global ordnance. That seems potentially more harmful to competitive balance than personal ordance because of the luck factor. Now, we'll see if there's any pattern and predictability to it that can be learned but from what I hear about how the system works, that might prove to be very difficult. We'll see though. I was playing 1v1 against Bravo on Abandon and rockets dropped right in front of my feet. I actually was unable to get a single kill with them though lol. Not my proudest moment.

Yeah, your needler mentions make me smile Tashi, hope it'll translate to mad kills when I get my hands on it. Certainly can't wait to supercombine a Knight.
Yes, I'm really concerned with looking cool on NeoGAF, that's why I try really hard to make sure everyone likes my posts.
It's about tone. Do you not get how you come across in your posts?
Fair or even salient points are marred by how you post.
Apples and Oranges, Im not seeing the comparison at all.
Isn't it fairly obvious? Same money well.
The people at MS/343 who said "well lets sell the season pass separately AND include these skins that we can't/won't put in the LE" were almost surely the ones who said "LETS SELL THE SKINS SEPARATELY, moar profitability!"
I was playing 1v1 against Bravo on Abandon and rockets dropped right in front of my feet. I actually was unable to get a single kill with them though lol. Not my proudest moment.
Will this be in the montage? :p

Yes, I'm really concerned with looking cool on NeoGAF, that's why I try really hard to make sure everyone likes my posts.

And do I really need to explain how random, unpredictable powerweapons that drop next to the player make the game more unbalanced? I'll briefly entertain you, just so I can look cool.

First, we need to clear something up; "Balance" as it relates to competitive multiplayer, doesn't mean that everyone has equal access to something. "Balance" means that players are rewarded proportional to their actions, abilities and decisions. When one player is rewarded with a Binary Rifle for the exact same process as someone who receives a needler, that's unbalanced. You're rewarding players based on a roll of the dice, not to mention the problems it brings to strategic predictability.

But lets go back to previous Halos with placed weapons. Is the skill it takes to know locations of power weapons, and the intent to rush toward them as the number one objective in slayer, proportional to the advantage the power weapons give you? I'd say not at all. There is much more innate skill/talent associated with direct gunplay, and therefore the reward should be from that skilled gunplay itself.

You may respond that actually strategically dominating the power weapon zone does take skill, not just the knowledge of placement. That strategy is tied to direct gunplay, so you're right there. However, that actually gives players with high gunplay associated skill exponentiated advantage, because power weapons take no skill to use but take a bunch of skill to get.

Therefore a player that is highly skilled in gunplay is much more able to obtain weapons that are much easier to kill opponents with, making it very akin to a killstreak in call of duty. However, because an aspect of an ordnance drop is random, it takes away some of that power from a skilled player, as I believe it should. A skilled player will still get more drops, however they don't know exactly what they will get and they don't know necessarily where it will drop (global ordnance). To me, that is equal to having your gunplay skill in tact, but not having knowledge and skill to exponentiate (made up word?) your advantage in obtaining a weapon that takes no or less skill to use.

Ramirez

Apples and Oranges, Im not seeing the comparison at all.

It's really not. You guys sit here & wonder why all of the extras are being split off into 50 different directions, but as soon as you see a stupid skin on WM, you're all over it! It's fairly simple to understand really.

Anyone who bought that skin from Wal-Mart, but then comes on here and complains about the LE fiasco needs to never post about anything like that ever again.

Haha yeah....

....Wait, what?

the LE fiasco isn't just about things being split off. It's about poor communication leading to inaccurate expectations.

Tunavi

Banned
BR is pointless then?

1042979_o.gif

Louis Wu

You don't have to play the game to see how it's unbalanced and random. Good players get rewarded with ordnance, and neither they nor the other team knows what ordnance they're going to get. It's not as severe as Fiesta, but it's in a similar vein.

The ordnance meter will fill for things like distractions and assists, so players of all skill levels will be rewarded. But I'm willing to bet it will fill faster for triple kills and snapshots.

I agree. This has been repeated to death...

For me, the beauty of Halo (vs COD) is the predictability. I know that unless my teammate tells me that the shotgun is missing, then this guy I see on my radar only has a DMR or pistol or whatever. In Infinity Slayer, he might have a scattershot or an overshield because my other teammate has been feeding kills on another part of the map.

Do we need to play it to object to that? I'll be as happy as the next guy if it 'feels' different on November 6th, but I'm not seeing how it can.
Had a big answer started for these, phone rang, the conversation's moved on (and been partially answered) - I really don't think either of these worries are particularly troublesome. (That is - I'm not saying "I'm not worried about either of these things" - I'm saying "I don't think either of these things will be an issue for the vast majority of players, including most competitive players.")

I didn't see a lot of Binary Rifles dropping - for ANYONE. I saw stuff like Scattershot, Needler, etc commonly, Rockets or Incineration Cannon much less commonly. I saw a variety of powerups (which I took often) - you know exactly who's using what when these are involved, they're colored. And I saw grenades. ::shrug:: As Tashi said, players of roughly equal skill will get roughly the same number of drops - and what's available to them might not be PRECISELY equivalent, but it was usually pretty close.

BigShow36

It's about tone. Do you not get how you come across in your posts?
Fair or even salient points are marred by how you post.

Tone is something the reader interprets. You guys choose to make my posts into these horrific sarcastic attacks because you don't like the content. Am I often sarcastic? Of course, but there's nothing malicious or tonally offensive on my end.

What about the tone of people talking to me? Pretty much every response I get is people bitching about my posts and being sarcastic right back. That's fine, the big difference is I actually respond to them with content relating to their posts, not whinning about their tone or them constantly slurping.

I'm going to continue to be sarcastic with people who aren't actually interested in debating or conversing.

But lets go back to previous Halos with placed weapons. Is the skill it takes to know locations of power weapons, and the intent to rush toward them as the number one objective in slayer, proportional to the advantage the power weapons give you? I'd say not at all. There is much more innate skill/talent associated with direct gunplay, and therefore the reward should be from that skilled gunplay itself.

The skill of static spawns doesn't come from knowing when or where they spawn, but knowing that the other team knows as well. Its the strategic element as well as the fact that it forces teams to move that adds value and depth.

You may respond that actually strategically dominating the power weapon zone does take skill, not just the knowledge of placement. That strategy is tied to direct gunplay, so you're right there. However, that actually gives players with high gunplay associated skill exponentiated advantage, because power weapons take no skill to use but take a bunch of skill to get.

There is a massive strategic element to how teams respond to static power weapons. Yes, players with a high gunplay skill will always have advantages in a first-person shooter game; there's absolutley nothing wrong with that. However, static respawns allow more strategic players to gain the upper hand, even if their gun skill is less. Static spawns allow strategic players more opportunity to gain the advantage.

Hold on, I'm confused, there's a type of ordnance (global?) that DOESN'T appear directly in front of you when you call it in?
I remember reading that Global Ordnance drops random sets of weapons/powerups in a few fixed locations throughout the map, while Personal land in front of you.

edit: not sure where the differentiation lies, though. Can one get personal ordnance in a team game where global ordnance is also in effect?

It's really not. You guys sit here & wonder why all of the extras are being split off into 50 different directions, but as soon as you see a stupid skin on WM, you're all over it! It's fairly simple to understand really.

Look, I do see what you are getting at, but they are still fundamentally different. For 35cents you can get a $5 Vudu movie credit and the exclusive armor skin. For 35cents, what the hell, why not? That literally was an incremental payment that could have maybe bought a gumball for something worth at least $5 (vudu) and a skin on the side. I literally would have not done that if it weren't so ridiculously cheap and supposed to be a preorder bonus.

The LE stuff is different- If you want the helmets, its going to be $25 dollars for a product you have already paid for once. It makes zero sense and basically locks the content out from LE users. I'm not doing that. Nor will I buy the helmets for MSpoints unless they are included in future DLC or something.

I don't think saying people are jumping on a mis-listed product that only costs 35cents justifies or fuels the shitty direction all the per-order and LE content went.

zlatko

Banned
Got my email and redeemed the Pin. Will get the actual skin dlc code emailed on Nov 6th. Cool.

Edit: Nvm got new email for Vudu redemption stuff.

You guys choose to make my posts into these horrific sarcastic attacks because you don't like the content. Am I often sarcastic? Of course, but there's nothing malicious or tonally offensive on my end.

What about the tone of people talking to me? Pretty much every response I get is people bitching about my posts and being sarcastic right back. That's fine, the big difference is I actually respond to them with content relating to their posts, not whinning about their tone or them constantly slurping.

I'm going to continue to be sarcastic with people who aren't actually interested in debating or conversing.
Bah. I don't know what to say. I thought it that it'd be great if you "gel with the group" more, you clearly have a certain insight/perspective to offer. That doesn't mean sharing people's opinions, it's about being an enjoyable person to chat to and debate with.

Back to XCOM. Bah.

I really doubt that the skins will be paid DLC in the future. I think they'll be earnable/unlockable you'll be able to unlock them without earning them in different promotions and bundles.

I really doubt they'll be that greedy.
I'm just thinking of the Gears 3 skin packs.

Thank you! That's the helmet I really wanted.
I think it is just the skin. I don't know how you get the Oceanic armor? Does anyone know?

heh - yeah, that showed up earlier in the season (ep 11 or 12, when Church was convincing Carolina that York cared about her). Pretty cool. ;)
Yeah I noticed it then but didn't notice the little logo on it. Very cool. Also, glad to know that someone else here watches RvB.

Top Bottom