• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Question. If this Halo disappoints any of you thoroughly, whether Campaign or MP wise, will you leave the series? I know we are all pretty big fans, but have any of you drawn a line where you say, "that's it, no more Halo"?

Yea, it was detailed in that Bravo/Franklin video.
Yep, that's the one.
Of that, I have no doubt. It'll be fun as hell, I just dunno if makes sense in any balanced, competitive setting.

I'm not saying that it necessarily does, I'd need more time with the game to make that call. It is fully customizable, so I'm sure it could be can be tweaked to fulfill a very specific thing in a game.

What I am saying is (and most others here that have played the game are saying as well) is that global ordnance is the mechanic that sticks out as detrimental to balance, not personal ordnance.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Clean shaven? Closely kept goatee?

A big change like that is always kind of great.

I took a couple inches off my on Sunday. Wanted to do some pruning before my winter beard comes in (even though it is still summer weather here).

Yeah, some head pruning was needed. Got all my long hair cut very short too.

My cold head already misses the extra warm fur coat up the there.

zlatko

Banned
Question. If this Halo disappoints any of you thoroughly, whether Campaign or MP wise, will you leave the series? I know we are all pretty big fans, but have any of you drawn a line where you say, "that's it, no more Halo"?

I'll be more cautious of Halo 5 that's for sure. Plus it also depends on what they do for updates. I don't think campaign will disappoint, but MP definitely could once it is out in the wild.

So for me, Reach made me Day 1 pre order a LE of H4, but if H4 is poopy, then I will sit in the camp of "wait for reviews/word of mouth" for H5.

Ramirez

We're all just like Big Show at the end of the day.

Talents

Banned
I read this post and immediately knew it came from you

This is not a good thing.

Well at least I'm not ZooJoo.

Probably not, if it's bad, I may not play it much, but I'll still probably buy Halo 5/6.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, man. There's already a lot happening in Halo 4 that goes against the fundamentals of Halo for me. But there's so many improvements, too. It's a hard call to make. I know one thing that would definitely turn me and lots of others away from the series: aim down sights.

I'm not saying that it necessarily does, I'd need more time with the game to make that call. It is fully customizable, so I'm sure it could be can be tweaked to fulfill a very specific thing in a game.

What I am saying is (and most others here that have played the game are saying as well) is that global ordnance is the mechanic that sticks out as detrimental to balance, not personal ordnance.
Yeah, that makes sense. I can't wait to get my hands on them custom settings.

nillapuddin

I don't think you understand how this system works. Let's say there are 10 possible locations for weapons to spawn at.

I completely get that,
but What evidence do you have/what are you using to assume, that there are 10 different locations?

(again, not picking on you)

I think people left due to Reach - I think another Halo Reach would have certainly driven me away.

Thank god Halo 4 is good.

IHaveIce

Banned

Campaign wise I will leave the day Time Travelling will come into the plot.

Multiplayer wise we will see, aslong as I have fun, I'm down.

It would have to be unrecognizable as Halo. I'm not sure what point that would come at, but I see close to zero danger of it.

If I just really dislike it to the point that I question what was happening around every decision like it was a Reach 2.0 then I'm dropping Halo like a bad habit. Though I doubt that'll be the case, but who knows, multiplayer's ultimately going to be the largest swing in my opinion.

Spiders

If I still have fun playing it I'll stick with the series. When it stops being fun for me, I'm out.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone have an extra Cryptum book lying around? lol

I really wanna read it but this NYCC event and such was expensive. Obviously more expensive for those ballers who flew in but I'm not a baller like they are lol

I completely get that,
but What evidence do you have/what are you using to assume, that there are 10 different locations?

He didn't say there were 10 perse, just as a hypothetical. Actual maps have different numbers, obviously. As for evidence, I thought this was common knowledge at this point, since they first went into detail on the ordnance system like 25 gaming conventions ago...

Redford

aka Cabbie

It's definitely not that bad, if any game were to make me leave it would have been Reach and even that was bearable.

Only thing that bugs me is what I assume is corporate meddling, with the shoehorning of superficial CoD crap in.

Okay. My writeup has totaled 3,300 words (or, sans spaces, 14,500 characters long). Therefore, I'm going to break this up into several posts.

Here's Part 1.

------------------------

First off I want to say how grateful I am for being treated so well by 343 employees. I’m so happy for being treated so well, and being given so much attention. Thank you so much to Jess and Alison most especially, Frank, Kevin, Jay, Chad, Sally, Kathy, Erik, Sparth, Tajin, Jeremy, and everyone else. I’m probably forgetting a few people.

David and Jess, I really wish I could’ve met you guys.

Now, on to the impressions! I was able to play Halo 4 for a solid four to five hours on Saturday night. I played three gametypes: iSlayer, Oddball, and CTF. I played on a variety of maps: Solace, Adrift, Complex, Ragnarok, Haven, and Longbow. I think I was playing a near-gold build (if that’s the proper terminology).

Good news about the maps is that they all seem to be solid maps. No stinkers like Backwash, Epitaph, and the like. My least favorite was Adrift, but I was still having fun on that. Not counting Ragnarok, which I need to digest more, my favorite map was Solace. I think, though, that is in part because I was able to have my most intense games on that map.

My loadout:
Primary Weapon: Carbine
Secondary Weapon: Boltshot
AA: None
Thingie 1: Stability
Thingie 2: Shielding

Valhalla and Ragnarok

I will say what I think about Ragnarok, but these impressions most of all should be taken with a grain of salt if nothing else. The highest player count we could do was 4v4. Judging from my first experiences playing on this map, it seems I was wrong about the DMR being a problem, and I think having sprint might have something to do with it. My worries about the DMR is that it’ll turn most matches into “turkey shoots” as Ghaleon likes to call them, pushing encounters out to into ranges that make them uninteresting, and being constantly pinged by 3x scope weapons. With sprint, players can quickly move to close ranks with someone and fight it out, and they can quickly move into cover. This was true on iSlayer and CTF. Now, as I said before, these weren’t ideal conditions for the map. The problems that I fear will arise could do so with its optimal player count and when players realize how to best take advantage of Halo 4’s sandbox. However, right now, I would say Valhalla* seems to work well with Halo 4’s sandbox.

*It’s funny. When we were discussing the map out loud, everybody was calling it Valhalla, even the 343 employees. I think it’s because Valhalla is easier to say. (Another reason why it should’ve been called Asgard!)

Aesthetically, I am none too pleased with Rangarok. I said this when I first saw the map, but I don’t like the hot, dry makeover. I miss the cold, crisp day, and the lush green fields of Valhalla. Mancannons aren’t as fun anymore, too. It could’ve been the build I was playing, but the draw distance on the map seemed rather short, and the ground textures weren’t great – not bad! – but certainly not great.

I know the Mantis looked overpowered in the videos about it, but it’s not. It’s about as hard as the Warthog to take down if you know how to approach it. That could change if everyone isn’t able to spawn with a plasma pistol though, and I think such loadouts will be damaging to BTB play.

CTF

When the CTF changes were announced, I was at best unsure about them After sinking probably 2+ hours into the gametype (it was my most played), I’m still not sold. The good news is that when I was playing CTF, it didn’t feel like these were changes for the sake of change. It felt like 343 wanted to evolve it and add its own flavor to it. Which I can appreciate, but that doesn’t make up for the uncertainty I have about the changes.

What I remember to be the most worrying factor is the kill signal that’s placed over your head when you grab. It could’ve been this along with the other ways 343 has constrained your options in CTF, but I felt so claustrophobic when carrying the flag. I felt there wasn’t a safe route to go. In CTF of the past, when you got the flag, there was a tension in looking at your available paths and picking the safest, fastest route. Then you had the option of carrying the flag so your position remains unknown to the enemy team or dropping it so you can go faster but at the same time alerting the opposing team to your position. Risk versus reward. The new CTF removes all these dynamics, and I feel less in control of the situation. Speaking of being able to drop the flag...

I was playing CTF on Adrift and fighting my way around the enemy’s team flag when I accidentally picked it up. That was annoying, and thankfully it happened when I cleared the area and it wasn’t during a firefight. Otherwise I would’ve gotten a bit frustrated. Unless auto-pickup is disabled, I bet this won’t be the last time I do this.

From my brief time playing the game, not being able to drop the flag doesn’t seem like a change I will like. Here’s the way I see things: If I have fought my way to the flag, or if I have run the risk of grabbing it for my team, I should be able to defend it in anyway I can. I’ve earned that. It may be that I just don’t like the pistol as a weapon, but I don’t like being forced to use a weapon in a game that’s all about its sandbox. What if I had fought another player who had rockets, and I want to defend the flag using that? It seems to me that 343 is trying to alter the abilities of the flag carrier to force her teammates to help her out. And that sounds fine on paper, but I’m not confident it works out that way. I mean, with the changes to CTF, now you definitely want somebody tagging along to give you some cover, but that’s very hard to coordinate with randoms over XBL. The way I view things, if your team wants to win a game, they’ll assist the flag carrier whether it be classic CTF (because the flag carrier was already handicapped enough) or new CTF.

When looking at all these changes, you know 343 is trying to improve team work in objective games. A good and worthy goal. But I’m not sure doing that at the expense of options for the player is the best way to go.

I already leave Gears of wars series for that poor excuse of campaign in Gears 3 and Gnasherfest in MP then I remember Halo Reach and the sudden art change in Halo 4 maybe I will stop buying Halos day one and wait for a lower price.

Myself and the rest of the staff at ForwardUntoDawn.com are pleased to announce Community Evolved, a project we've been working on diligently for many months now! It is with great pleasure that we reveal this to you, the Halo community. This does, after all, belong more to you than to the three of us.

And thank you, HaloGAF.

Backed for $25. Would have loved to see the forging side more represented though.

I'm still coming back after Reach aren't I? Terrible campaign, Terrible Multi.

Good read Dax.

The map impressions are always a bit hard to digest, if you felt that way about Adrift Day 1, how will you feel in 12 months? Of course that depends on how the map packs are integrated and matchmaking turns out too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Nice write up Dax. I'm right there with you on the flag pick up thing. Thankfully when I played it was on a large map so I never accidentally picked up the flag. I absolutely love the medals for drivers though, as I'm usually the guy to grab a vehicle and drive a teammate over to the flag. At PAX we were able to get to the flag and I drove the guy all the way back for the score.

Not being able to drop it will be interesting. I really want to play more to see how it feels after numerous rounds. How much I accidentally pick it up, etc.

Overdoziz

Banned
I completely get that,

Even if there were only 3 spots for 3 weapons having random weapons spawn can create an unfair advantage for one of the teams.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Backed for $25. Would have loved to see the forging side more represented though.

Our guest list is not final, we're hoping to add a few more names. And, in regards to Forge, I think you will be happy with how we plan to cover it.

I promise you, Forge will given considerable attention, as will the people that who have been involved in that particular area of the community.

We'll be sharing more of our plans in future and I hope that, as we do, you'll give us your honest feedback to help us improve the project as we go along. We want to make sure that the book is an accurate reflection of the community and we'll do our best to make it so.

Good read Dax.

The map impressions are always a bit hard to digest, if you felt that way about Adrift Day 1, how will you feel in 12 months? Of course that depends on how the map packs are integrated and matchmaking turns out too.

Heh 343 added giant blocks in Spire to avoid using the elevators.

Dax confirming a few of my biggest fears in one post.

A3ebA.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The thing that scares me about CTF is its scalability to smaller maps with less players. On really large maps it seems to be ok.

GhaleonEB

Congrats on the project, Dani. In case anyone is wondering, I've been too swamped with work (70 hour weeks since sabbatical with no end in sight) to contribute, so this really is a huge project done by a small group of folks. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'll update the OP with it and Dax's impressions after lunch.

Did we get the IGN video of the day yet?

The thing that scares me about CTF is its scalability to smaller maps with less players. On really large maps it seems to be ok.

I'm going to miss sneaking away with the flag. So many great moments of outsmarting the other team with flag grab timing and evasion. It's huge dynamic removed from the game.

And BTB won't have CTF, at least not at launch.

Congrats on the project, Dani. In case anyone is wondering, I've been too swamped with work (70 hour weeks since sabbatical with no end in sight) to contribute, so this really is a huge project done by a small group of folks. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

yep, it was meltdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2_6L-j26ag

CyReN

Meltdown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2_6L-j26ag&feature=youtu.be

edit: dammit

Campaign looks jaw dropping gorgeous. Judging by what we know so far and to the extent of watching several spoiler vids.
MP is probably appropriate to question in the long term for Halo players to stay with Halo 4, but so far GAFfers approve when playing it during and after attending events.
SpOps appears to interest the MP side with levels that are like Campaign missions with CG cutscenes. Very Interested with future content.
Overall its beyond what Reach came to be, Imo.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Probably. I've left most major franchises without blinking. At the end of the day its just not worth sinking your time into something that isnt fun.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Thanks for the kind words. The amount of support has been jaw-dropping.

I'm looking forward to waking up tomorrow and pinching myself.

Just finished the Ark on Legendary Iron, with Over, Myyke and Andy.

Such a fantastic level, we also took turns to partake in some future blood sport with the chieftain at the end.

Our guest list is not final, we're hoping to add a few more names. And, in regards to Forge, I think you will be happy with how we plan to cover it.

I promise you, Forge will given considerable attention, as will the people that who have been involved in that particular area of the community.

We'll be sharing more of our plans in future and I hope that, as we do, you'll give us your honest feedback to help us improve the project as we go along. We want to make sure that the book is an accurate reflection of the community and we'll do our best to make it so.

Well I'm totally pumped then. :) Some of us dedicated the past 5 years to forge and to see it only slightly mentioned would have been a shame. And if SoG Grim isn't at least mentioned once for his crazy Forge Art, then I'll probably cry. lol... The Noble Team and the Covenant were masterpieces. ;)

Top Bottom