• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

nillapuddin

With this image, the Kevin Franklin interview with Bravo, and everything else

this is what Im gathering

Each location can be tuned to specifically only have certain weapons available to it, and he also says it is a fixed respawn time of 2 minutes.

setordnance_zpsccc3b55f.png

--------------------------------

With this information, this is how I envision it working...

*this is specifically in reference to non-initial ordnance drops*

halo_3_maps_valhalla_big_zps91e70722.png

there are 3 neutral primary power weapon locations

wall, hill, pelican for example

they can spawn: Rockets, Snipe, Laser, Incinerator, Binary Rifle, Fuel rod

There are (idk how many) symmetrical secondary power weapon stations
these will rotate between railgun, saw, sticky det, needler, etc

----------------------------------------------------------------

As long as everyone is keeping track of the time the weapons are picked up, shots fired and dropped (which most groups do)

I dont see the issue with this

if this isnt how it works, then I rest my case,

Im not bitching or arguing with anyone in particular, Im just trying to understand it better

m23

Finished reading Ghosts of Onyx on my way home from work today. To this day that ending blows me away, this book is still my favourite out of all the Halo books. And what do I see when I get home sitting on my bed? No, not a girl :(.......Thursday War :). I'll start that tomorrow. I didn't hate Glasslands like many here, so we'll see how this one goes.

blamite

Finished reading Ghosts of Onyx on my way home from work today. To this day that ending blows me away, this book is still my favourite out of all the Halo books. And what do I see when I get home sitting on my bed? No, not a girl :(.......Thursday War :). I'll start that tomorrow. I didn't hate Glasslands like many here, so we'll see how this one goes.

If you didn't hate Glasslands, you'll definitely like TTW a lot.

With this image, the Kevin Franklin interview with Bravo, and everything else

this is what Im gathering

Each location can be tuned to specifically only have certain weapons available to it, and he also says it is a fixed respawn time of 2 minutes.

setordnance_zpsccc3b55f.png

With this information, this is how I envision it working...

*this is specifically in reference to non-initial ordnance drops*

halo_3_maps_valhalla_big_zps91e70722.png

there are 3 neutral primary power weapon locations

wall, hill, pelican for example

they can spawn: Rockets, Snipe, Laser, Incinerator, Binary Rifle, Fuel rod

There are (idk how many) symmetrical secondary power weapon stations
these will rotate between railgun, saw, sticky det, needler, etc

As long as everyone is keeping track of the time the weapons are picked up, shots fired and dropped (which most groups do)

I dont see the issue with this

if this isnt how it works, then I rest my case,

Im not bitching or arguing with anyone in particular, Im just trying to understand it better

It randomly chooses one of the locations to spawn a weapon at though.

That's the problem, you don't know where anything is going to spawn, and then it's just there. It also sucks when a tank and Gauss hog is running train on your team on Exile and in about a 6 minute period, we got a couple of Needler spawns, a SAW spawn, and a Concussion rifle.

Team I Think It's Going To Be Great But It Could Be A Whole Lot BettOH GOD What Are You Doing Messing With All This Digital Skins BS You're Better Than This.

T.I.T.I.G.T.B.G.B.I.T.C.B.A.W.L.B.O.G.W.A.Y.D.M.W.A.T.D.S.B.Y.B.T.T.

blamite

From one of the Forge streams, you can still place weapons on the ground and have them spawn without the ordnance system, same as Reach.

nillapuddin

It randomly chooses one of the locations to spawn a weapon at though.

But with them choosing which pool of weapons each location can spawn from, I cannot imagine it being set up in any way other than in a way that only proper neutral/power locations would facilitate true "power weapons"

like in my example, I dont see a needler ever spawning on the hill

That's the problem, you don't know where anything is going to spawn, and then it's just there. It also sucks when a tank and Gauss hog is running train on your team on Exile and in about a 6 minute period, we got a couple of Needler spawns, a SAW spawn, and a Concussion rifle.

But if the spawn location is right next to your base, you shouldnt expect those to be Rockets or anything, those weapons should be reserved for the neutral locations that are more of a challenge to fight for

FyreWulff

What are you doing in my state? I Live in Ames (north of Des Moines by about 30 miles).

People wanted to go on a road trip on a lark. I changed it at the last second from the middle of Nebraska to Des Moines, since I've never been there. That capitol building is IMMENSE. And the skybridge system downtown looks neat. And the Hawkeyes still suck.

It's funny since I probably 'go to Iowa' about once a week (since it's like, a five minute drive from where I'm sitting now, right across the river, because friends live there/stores in Council Bluffs), but this is the first time I've actually gone far enough into Iowa where the Nebraska influence can't be seen.

I also got a nice idea for a Forge map from their downtown area :p

A tad disappointed though, as my camera's battery meter lied and I ran out of battery before I could take pics of the actual city itself :/

xBrutality

Neo Member
But with them choosing which pool of weapons each location can spawn from, I cannot imagine it being set up in any way other than in a way that only proper neutral/power locations would facilitate true "power weapons"

But if the spawn location is right next to your base, you shouldnt expect those to be Rockets or anything, those weapons should be reserved for the neutral locations that are more of a challenge to fight for

Which s why people are upset. The ordinance drops are completely random.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
SLRP means to slurp which originated from "dee slurper" (I believe from Letters) which is a euphemism for cock sucker which certain members of sensyGAF got all up in arms about it being a homophobic slur. I guess they don't care anymore since everybody says it now? Or maybe they realized that it's not homophobic because women suck peen as well. It was originally used to describe all the 343 brown nosing and general defense-at-all-costs of Halo 4, but now it has been transformed into a term of genuine excitement about Halo 4 or acceptance of 343's changes.

The term gained popularity when kylej posted this in response to slurpy Hydranockz post and it was hilarious. The 4 letter capitalized variant (which I can't figure out why everyone is using all the time) started off as an inside joke between Steelyuhas, Plywood and myself when we all changed our service tags to SLRP for a couple games of Rocket Hog Race and then joked about it here afterwards.
Yep. <3

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

But that's not how it's set up in this game, it's all completely random. Matchmaking isn't going to handle it like that nilla..

And plus, I'd honestly much rather have a Needler on Ragnarok over a Rocket in your example anyway :b

BigShow36

Let me just throw a hypothetical situation at you referrencing your above diagram. Lets say there are three spawn locations as you said, at hill, wall and pelican. Lets say one team is terrorizing wall side with a warthog and just slayed two of the opposing team. The rest of their team is moving along the Pelican, using it as cover and hoping to find something to beat the hog with. They know that a power weapon is due up soon, and this is one of the possible locations. Suddenly, a rocket spawns at wall side, right near the warthog. The driver jumps out and grabs it.

How is that comparable to each team knowing when and were the weapon will spawn? Just because a team knows one of the possible locations a weapon could spawn at, they have absolutely no way of planning or strategizing based on it. There is no "fight" over the power weapons because no one knows which location they will spawn at.

nillapuddin

But that's not how it's set up in this game, it's all completely random. Matchmaking isn't going to handle it like that nilla..

And plus, I'd honestly much rather have a Needler on Ragnarok over a Rocket in your example anyway :b

is there evidence whether it be first hand or video of any secondary tier power weapon spawning in a neutral "power" location on rangarok

------------------------------------------------

The system is beyond flexible, the tools are so obviously right there.
I refuse to believe that they would set it up in any other way
until proven otherwise

So the other team has a Banshee, Tank, and Mantis destroying the shit out of us, and instead of getting a "neutral" spawn for a big anti-vehicle weapon, the Global Ordnance system randomly chooses that one of the teams should get a Needler spawn instead, and then then it might do it again.

That scenario happen to me in Halo 4, more than once.

Also, we have no evidence that specific weapons are assigned to specific spots like you suggest. In fast I know that SAW, Concussion Rifles, and Needlers spawned at what you would consider neutral spawns in CTF games on Exile.

Note: I use the Needler as an example simply because it's not an anti-vehicle weapon, it's still absolutely a power weapon, extremely powerful.

Yep. <3

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

SLRP SLRP!

BigShow36

is there evidence whether it be first hand or video of any secondary tier power weapon spawning in a neutral "power" location on rangarok

------------------------------------------------

The system is beyond flexible, the tools are so obviously right there.
I refuse to believe that they would set it up in any other way
until proven otherwise

From the horse's mouth:
"Global Ordnance Drops are random in location (there are a set of locations on any given map, but the choice of location for a particular drop is random), random in assets (the choice of weapons dropped on a particular map and gametype are planned, but the one that comes at any given drop is random), and random in time (there is no fixed timer for drops). Dropped items are waypointed for all players, until they are picked up. "

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/random_questions_at_e32012.html

Random location (from a few for each mach), random powerweapon/up (from a set list), and random in time.

Fuchsdh

If you liked Glasslands, you'll like Thursday War. If you hated Glasslands, you'll hate Thursday War less.

It's overall a superior novel I think, although I'm still concerned about Traviss keeping all the plates she's got in the air spinning.

From the horse's mouth:
"Global Ordnance Drops are random in location (there are a set of locations on any given map, but the choice of location for a particular drop is random), random in assets (the choice of weapons dropped on a particular map and gametype are planned, but the one that comes at any given drop is random), and random in time (there is no fixed timer for drops). Dropped items are waypointed for all players, until they are picked up. "

Random location (from a few for each mach), random powerweapon/up (from a set list), and random in time.

Holy shit, I was under the assumption that time was the only thing that isn't random, but that is as well.

Fracas

#fuckonami
From the horse's mouth:

tumblr_m781j4PW661qzh5yxo1_500.gif

Enfinit

Just managed to get around to watching the Meltdown map walkthrough. Map looks great. The spinning reactor in the skybox blew my mind.

orznge

Banned
From the horse's mouth:

hahahahahahahaha

nillapuddin

Let me just throw a hypothetical situation at you referrencing your above diagram. Lets say there are three spawn locations as you said, at hill, wall and pelican. Lets say one team is terrorizing wall side with a warthog and just slayed two of the opposing team. The rest of their team is moving along the Pelican, using it as cover and hoping to find something to beat the hog with. They know that a power weapon is due up soon, and this is one of the possible locations. Suddenly, a rocket spawns at wall side, right near the warthog. The driver jumps out and grabs it.

How is that comparable to each team knowing when and were the weapon will spawn? Just because a team knows one of the possible locations a weapon could spawn at, they have absolutely no way of planning or strategizing based on it. There is no "fight" over the power weapons because no one knows which location they will spawn at.

I would say this, each spawn location receives a new weapon every 2 minutes.

so yeah its great that they got a rocket over there,
but that isnt random,
that means 2 minutes ago someone used up whatever weapon was over there, and out of the pool of weapons that could possibly spawn over there

Im guessing like I said, rocks, lazer, snipe, etc

So the other team has a Banshee, Tank, and Mantis destroying the shit out of us, and instead of getting a "neutral" spawn for a big anti-vehicle weapon, the Global Ordnance system randomly chooses that one of the teams should get a Needler spawn instead, and then then it might do it again.

That I cant argue, but how often do Rockets spawn on a teams base in Halo now?

If you do not have access to the power positions because the other team is killing the crap out of you, you cant just look up to the sky and hope they drop Rocks on your base to help you?

Also, we have no evidence that specific weapons are assigned to specific spots like you suggest. In fast I know that SAW, Concussion Rifles, and Needlers spawned at what you would consider neutral spawns in CTF games on Exile.

The evidence is in the video with Franklin, he talks about how each one can be tuned to only have certain weapons, you can see that system in the photo I originally posted

Why would we assume they dont use what is clearly in front of them, they designed it exclusively for this reason

From the horse's mouth:

some of that is still true, some is not, some isnt explained clearly.
also, franklin straight up said the timer at launch will be 2 minutes.

there is a clear and logical way for this to work in a way that doesnt cheat anybody, the system is designed for flexibility, not because of fuck you thats why

I'd like to see another Nylund Halo novel.

I would LOVE to have seen what he could do with the scenario he set up at the end of Ghosts of Onyx -
Karen threw away the really interesting premise of Halsey, Spatans and Mendez exploring this alien and exciting shield world.

Karen made it really pedestrian and dull before simply manoeuvring the characters to where they need to be for her story. Even in the Thursday war I feel like
the shield world was a much less interesting place than it should have been

Hopefully nylund gets to rewrite the story and retcon Karens novels. I would love it if that somehow got to happen lol.

I would LOVE to have seen what he could do with the scenario he set up at the end of Ghosts of Onyx -
Karen threw away the really interesting premise of Halsey, Spatans and Mendez exploring this alien and exciting shield world.

Karen made it really pedestrian and dull before simply manoeuvring the characters to where they need to be. Even in the Thursday war I feel like
the shield world was a much less interesting place than it should have been

Hopefully nylund gets to rewrite the story and retcon Karens novels.

THIS Please Fankie... Karen is a hack

BigShow36

I would say this, each spawn location receives a new weapon every 2 minutes.

so yeah its great that they got a rocket over there,
but that isnt random,
that means 2 minutes ago someone used up whatever weapon was over there, and out of the pool of weapons that could possibly spawn over there

Im guessing like I said, rocks, lazer, snipe, etc

You're not understanding the system. Each spawn location doesn't receive one every X amount of seconds; one of the locations will. And I have never seen any confimation that it's a static amount of time; I imagine it's a window of time rather than a set number.

Even if that was the case, how is randomzing which powerup spawns fair? By the law of large numbers, yeah, it might eventually even out over hundreds or thousands of games, but on a game to game basis, there's no way its fair.

Here's the bulletin image for how it works. All it says is that this happens "every few minutes."

There's a pool of weapons for the ordnance drop and 3 or 4 or 5 locations a weapon can drop to. "Every few minutes" one of the weapons will drop to one of the locations; no one knows beforehand which weapon or which location.

some of that is still true, some is not, some isnt explained clearly.
also, franklin straight up said the timer at launch will be 2 minutes.

where?

Top Bottom