• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

THIS Please Fankie... Karen is a hack

She is a fantastic writer - Her political scheming stuff would work well as Oni side stories - perhaps she could write a novel set during the innie wars - that would be fantastic

She absolutely sucks at writing an interesting halo story when it comes to the wider universe though - her strong side is humanity - let her have that whilst not ruining the more fantasy aspects.

Thursday war spoilers:
The lead up she has for her next book seems absolutely yawn inducing - I hated how much time she dedicated to the Naomi / innie dad stuff - politically it's interesting - considering the wider fiction there's better things to write about though

I would say this, each spawn location receives a new weapon every 2 minutes.
That's not true at all, and invalidates what you just said about it being not randomly at that location.

It's not every spawn spot every 2 minutes, it's one of them, and you wouldn't know which one that is, or what weapon is going to be there.
That I cant argue, but how often do Rockets spawn on a teams base in Halo now?

If you do not have access to the power positions because the other team is killing the crap out of you, you cant just look up to the sky and hope they drop Rocks on your base to help you?
We were still able to get some people around the map, as we did when we had access to Needler and Concussion Rifle spawns, but because those weapons were randomly chosen, the team as a whole continued to get killed by tanks because the system randomly choose to not spawn weapons that would help destroy the vehicles.

The evidence is in the video with Franklin, he talks about how each one can be tuned to only have certain weapons, you can see that system in the photo I originally posted

Why would we assume they dont use what is clearly in front of them, they designed it exclusively for this reason

there is a clear and logical way for this to work in a way that doesnt cheat anybody, the system is designed for flexibility, not because of fuck you thats why

Lots of cans in there. You're talking about ways that the system can be used, I'm talking about how it actually works, in-game, from my experience with the game.

m23

Was there any explanation as to why Nylund wasn't chosen to continue the story? I think Frankie mentioned he's still at MGS in a recent interview so I wonder why it didn't happen.

She is a fantastic writer - Her political scheming stuff would work well as Oni side stories - perhaps she could write a novel set during the innie wars - that would be fantastic

She absolutely sucks at writing an interesting halo story when it comes to the wider universe though - her strong side is humanity - let her have that whilst not ruining the more fantasy aspects.

Thursday war spoilers:
The lead up she has for her next book seems absolutely yawn inducing - I hated how much time she dedicated to the Naomi / innie dad stuff - politically it's interesting - considering the wider fiction there's better things to write about though

Her Make the madalorians gay farmers, Blaspheme Jedi and force users and Compare Halsey to Hilter makes me dislike her. Plus Gears 3 had a terrible cop out ending and the Republic commando novels destroyed the commando team's personality. much in the same way she did Halsey

nillapuddin

What video? I want to listen to exactly what he is saying.

Regardless of whether or not the intervals are exact or not, it's irrelevant to the larger issues here.

bravo vs franklin

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think Ill be responding anymore, with the tools available it is perfectly logical to see how these would be set up properly.

if they are or not right now, idk.

Was there any explanation as to why Nylund wasn't chosen to continue the story?

Maybe Nylund was pissed about the way Bungie handled Reach, or he simply didn't want to be responsible for writing the story Traviss is. How much influence does 343 actually have over the books? Do they just give them dates, times, characters etc to work with then the author runs free?
INB4 retcon

IHaveIce

Banned

Thursday war spoilers:

I would LOVE to have seen what he could do with the scenario he set up at the end of Ghosts of Onyx -
Karen threw away the really interesting premise of Halsey, Spatans and Mendez exploring this alien and exciting shield world.

Karen made it really pedestrian and dull before simply manoeuvring the characters to where they need to be for her story. Even in the Thursday war I feel like
the shield world was a much less interesting place than it should have been

Hopefully nylund gets to rewrite the story and retcon Karens novels. I would love it if that somehow got to happen lol.

Great posts bobs, I fullheartly agree with you.
You listed all my problems with her books.

BigShow36

bravo vs franklin

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think Ill be responding anymore, with the tools available it is perfectly logical to see how these would be set up properly.

if they are or not right now, idk.

Okay, that's Slayer Pro; that's a totally different system for only that playlist. No one is saying the Global Ordinance can't work well with some massive tweaking, like in Slayer Pro, we're saying that the way it currently is being presented in general matchmaking is bad.

What video? I want to listen to exactly what he is saying.

Regardless of whether or not the intervals are exact or not, it's irrelevant to the larger issues here.

I remember him and others saying it a while ago too (other than that Bravo vid, but I could be mistaken), maybe I'll look for the video.. either way, the bolded is true.

nilla, you're also forgetting how in previous Halo games we stood a chance because other power weapons were littered around the map to help combat similar dominant situations like on Valhalla.. Again, what people are trying to describe to you is how it's going to be in Matchmaking - not how it could/should ideally be set up.

Woorloog

Banned
Maybe Nylund was pissed about the way Bungie handled Reach, or he simply didn't want to be responsible for writing the story Traviss is.

More likely the latter (or he didn't want to do anymore Halo), remember that Nylund wrote Halsey's Journal for Reach, a book that ties very strongly to the game's story.

Finally. So awesome.

:)

I know you mentioned it previously, but you should totes make the Fourge OT. Ghaleon didn't make the last one and I don't believe it's in an eternal state of dibbs as the last one was created by a non HaloGAFfer. Gotta put in dat work though. Make it purdy.

Well then I guess I am calling dibs on the Halo 4 Forge |OT|. lol... When I get the chance later today or tomorrow I'll ask Ghaleon some questions to make sure I'm doing all the things right from the get go. I needz to find me someone with some photoshoppin' skillz. ;)

aj1467

Hopefully nylund gets to rewrite the story and retcon Karens novels. I would love it if that somehow got to happen lol.

anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Okay, that's Slayer Pro; that's a totally different system for only that playlist. No one is saying the Global Ordinance can't work well with some massive tweaking, like in Slayer Pro, we're saying that the way it currently is being presented in general matchmaking is bad.

Precisely.

I have been a huge Team SLRPer since I played this game, because while the game it's in no way perfect, it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the way the Global Ordnance system is implemented is significantly detrimental to the balance and competitiveness/fairness of the game.

Fuchsdh

Boom.

I ordered on Best Buy's site to pick up in store and got there and they had a note on it not to sell until the 18th. Manager came over and looked it up and saw no street date and gave it to me. :p

The translucent controllers feel like such a throwback the last two console generations (not in a bad way.)

nillapuddin

Okay, that's Slayer Pro; that's a totally different system for only that playlist. No one is saying the Global Ordinance can't work well with some massive tweaking

I dont want to harp on this anymore but "massive" is not the word to use

it would not be that difficult to make work in a way everyone would be happy with

-snip-
(described how it would work, dont feel like posting it)
-snip-

If I am sitting at my desk thinking this (in reference to the stuff I didnt post)
I find it pretty fucking hard to believe that 343 isnt/hasnt/already did.

Noricart

Watching a stream where a guy is testing for forge lag.
Some things to note: A lot of items on screen w/no lag -- impressive; The textures pop out much more than in the gamespot vids; objects don't seem to cast shadows on each other, probably because he is in monitor mode. I've been turned around a little.

Watching a stream where a guy is testing for forge lag.
Some things to note: A lot of items on screen w/no lag -- impressive; The textures pop out much more than in the gamespot vids; objects don't seem to cast shadows on each other, probably because he is in monitor mode. I've been turned around a little.

Yeah, the lighting map is rendered when switching out of monitor mode, so you can't judge it from there.

Top Bottom