• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

bGanci

Banned
Radar's dumb. It's good to have a mode where people aren't glued to watching dots on the corner of their screen and y'know, use their actual senses.

nv0hD.png
Win!!!

While I will freely admit that I suck at Halo, I love skill-based ranking systems. It gives you something to strive for.

In Halo 2/3, I never reached 50, because I wasn't good enough. Fuck I tried, though.
In Reach, I never reached Inheritor. Because I didn't feel like it was a challenge worth aspiring towards.

cocamola

Banned
You're fine. Your personal ordnance will stay ready to be called in until you do so, regardless of deaths.

Also from what I've seen. To steal someone else's ordinance there is a progress bar (Like a care package). It takes a few second longer to steal. You own is instant.

Because being aware of your surroundings is a big part of competitive play. A radar essentially does the looking for you so it makes the skill-gap smaller. It also allows people to move around more freely, outmaneuver other players and it discourages camping.

Right, but I always found I was able to use radar to my advantage. I remember playing halo 3 games without radar and players that were worse than me would kill me a lot more than if I had radar enabled. I guess at ultra high level play that changes, I don't know.

zap

What's up with this?

8be1e16a-5cad-411d-8c38-0d3047ca802b.png

Under bonus content it said "find next clue here" and this appeared when I clicked on it...

This is a remnant of a series of clues that were littered around the dashboard and xbox.com in NZ/AU regions - the first person to answer the question in the clues won a LE Halo 4.

The question was "What is Master Chief's first name?"

I didn't win :(

Overdoziz

Banned
Right, but I always found I was able to use radar to my advantage. I remember playing halo 3 games without radar and players that were worse than me would kill me a lot more than if I had radar enabled. I guess at ultra high level play that changes, I don't know.
Maybe they were better at keeping a look at their surroundings? I'm assuming you mean that they were worse in terms of shooting or decision making but situational awareness is also a chunk of the big picture. It takes some time to get used to having no radar.
One of the things I enjoy most about having no radar is predicting movement of the other team. A close second is trying to avoid enemy players while my shields are down. When I pull things like that off it can be very satisfying and I don't even need +10 points for it.

BigShow36

Even at mid-level play the radar drastically slows down the games. It just has a huge detrimental impact on movement overall, from a mapwide perspective and from an individual encoutner level as well.

A close second is trying to avoid enemy players while my shields are down. When I pull things like that off it can be very satisfying and I don't even need +10 points for it.

But you're damn well gonna get those +10 points, and 343 makes sure you know it too with white text, a medal and the announcer saying "Close Call."

I consider pretty good at Halo, but I guess I'm BK status because I LIKE the radar. And I like that Halo 4 now specifies if people are above or below you. Easier for me to dong on people

Maybe they were better at keeping a look at their surroundings? I'm assuming you mean that they were worse in terms of shooting or decision making but situational awareness is also a chunk of the big picture.
One of the things I enjoy most about having no radar is predicting movement of the other team. A close second is trying to avoid enemy players while my shields are down. When I pull things like that off it can be very satisfying and I don't even need +10 points for it.

I think its the fact that with radar you can play it as a mini game and those that aren't aware of it get screwed. When that gets stripped for a more noob player and a more skilled player, it screws the skilled player more because they were using the radar much more efficiently. But like I said, when everyone has a certain understanding of the radar, it probably does widen the skill gap NOT to have radar. So its probably got an intersecting graph if you compare skilled/non skilled players having radar/no radar in relation to success in games.

Overdoziz

Banned
I think its the fact that with radar you can play it as a mini game and those that aren't aware of it get screwed. When that gets stripped for a more noob player and a more skilled player, it screws the skilled player more because they were using the radar much more efficiently. But like I said, when everyone has a certain understanding of the radar, it probably does widen the skill gap NOT to have radar. So its probably got an intersecting graph if you compare skilled/non skilled players having radar/no radar in relation to success in games.
I guess it does make it harder to dong on people who don't look at their radar. :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
From what I can tell, the answers to your two questions are: yes and yes, with an extra measure of WTF? thrown in.
No, Frankie said they're still "tinkering" with visible skill ranks. Apparently it's still being considered, but won't be there on launch day.

Edit : I used to adamantly prefer having radar, but after playing so many more games of MLG since the Reach TU, I'm a total believer in no radar. It forces situational awareness, making you rely on your knowledge of the map, last known location of enemies, likely enemy paths, and your sense of sound. It also encourages team work and communication. No radar > radar.

I guess it does make it harder to dong on people who don't look at their radar. :)

Yep, but also people that don't take full advantage of it (you can mess with people when they see where you are on the radar; lead them into traps, duck and suddenly "disappear" to cause confusion, etc). But speaking of radar, are they making it so you can see what level opponents are on in comparison to you like Reach? Or are they bringing back the Halo 3 way? I liked Halo 3's a lot better.

Bullshit. Stroll is an 11.

Of course, Hyper is a 9.
OH YOU! Highest rate I ever got. But just because Tashi is on the picture!

Speaking of the games I played, I did notice a potential problem with Oddball on Complex. There’s this one area that’s kind of like the bathroom area on Powerhouse where, once a team locks it down, it’s hard to get the ball back. It’s back where blue team spawns, the space that goes underground kind of. Umm...it’s hard to describe without any pictures.

Someone brought up a good point, I think it was biggy, that the games go a little too fast. I would agree with that. The games I played had two points being added to a team's score for every second the skull was held. It's a shame the games were so quick because I was having so much fun.
To comment this: I thought the area of Complex wasn't that hard to get the ball back. The problem was however we went always alone in that area.

Woah? I never saw any mention of that Hunt and Decode thing anywhere - was it run in the UK or America at all?
Maybe it is a China-only competition?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, but also people that don't take full advantage of it (you can mess with people when they see where you are on the radar; lead them into traps, duck and suddenly "disappear" to cause confusion, etc). But speaking of radar, are they making it so you can see what level opponents are on in comparison to you like Reach? Or are they bringing back the Halo 3 way? I liked Halo 3's a lot better.
My understanding is that there are NOT height indicators on the radar by default. Isn't that what the 'enhanced radar' perk does?

No, Frankie said they're still "tinkering" with visible skill ranks. Apparently it's still being considered, but won't be there on launch day.

That's not exactly what I saw. I saw a post here where someone said that visible skill ranks would not be in the game, and Frank replied to that post and said (paraphrasing): "That's largely true, but it's not the final word on the matter. We're still tweaking a couple of things and will clarify later."

What I took from that was that visible skill ranks are not coming back, but some other sort of system is going to be put in place to fill that void.

nillapuddin

For those getting Double XP someone posted this awhile back:

Thanks for quoting (me)
I was actually trying to look for that post earlier and couldn't find it lol

Yeah it's crazy how much of a better deal the chips are

Also, if you buy it at Walmart there is a slip in the game case that coupled with something else gives you 38 games.

So that's a huge deal cause it's money your already spending.

My understanding is that there are NOT height indicators on the radar by default. Isn't that what the 'enhanced radar' perk does?

Okay thanks. Don't remember a lot of the perks, I chose the ones I knew I would use a long time ago. That perk seems pretty useless to vets after you've learned the maps. You can often tell what level someone is on by the movement patterns (unless you're in a flat area and the area above/below you is completely flat which never happened much in 3).

That's not exactly what I saw. I saw a post here where someone said that visible skill ranks would not be in the game, and Frank replied to that post and said (paraphrasing): "That's largely true, but it's not the final word on the matter. We're still tweaking a couple of things and will clarify later."

What I took from that was that visible skill ranks are not coming back, but some other sort of system is going to be put in place to fill that void.
There won't be any visible skill ranks at launch. Thats the long and short of it, really. We've pretty much come to terms with outside a select few members of team salty

Tawpgun

To Big Show: From my experience the DMR bloom works fine in Halo 4 and I hated it in Reach. At mid range its a non issue. Mid range meaning.... like one side of countdown to the other. At further pinging ranges, yes you gotta pace the final shot or so, or get lucky. But thats a good balancing thing anyway.

If pro players really feel that strongly against the DMR mini-bloom and the BR sweeping headshot, I think the light rifle is perfect for them. A much more complex weapon.

To NYCC HaloGAF: Did Kevin Franklin say any juicy deets on MP during the dinner you guys had?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
To Big Show: From my experience the DMR bloom works fine in Halo 4 and I hated it in Reach. At mid range its a non issue. Mid range meaning.... like one side of countdown to the other. At further pinging ranges, yes you gotta pace the final shot or so, or get lucky. But thats a good balancing thing anyway.

If pro players really feel that strongly against the DMR mini-bloom and the BR sweeping headshot, I think the light rifle is perfect for them. A much more complex weapon.

To NYCC HaloGAF: Did Kevin Franklin say any juicy deets on MP during the dinner you guys had?

Hmmmmmmmmm maybe ;)

Raide

If any of you guys find one of these forge streams please try to grab some screens so those who missed it can see dem colors!

Brown is the new Grey!

I kid! Really looking forward to seeing how the shadows play in making maps. It may mean picking the right spot to maker a map is way more important than in Reach.

Top Bottom