• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, quick question. I'm looking for a TV or monitor that I can connect a 360 to without display/input lag. It can't be much more than $200. Any recommendations? 22" is most likely, but 27" would be nice.

Raide

Had a weird dream about making a hybrid Dominion + CTF map. Each CTF capture you get nabs you 1 point but gives the other team a base upgrade. I ended up 3-0 and the enemy had this massive flying fortress...then I woke up.

Had a weird dream about making a hybrid Dominion + CTF map. Each CTF capture you get nabs you 1 point but gives the other team a base upgrade. I ended up 3-0 and the enemy had this massive flying fortress...then I woke up.

Wait, so each capture makes it harder to do it again?
This might have possibilities...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds awesome.

I'm mostly dissappointed about bloom on the DMR. Plus, the BR already has an advantage in that it's easier to use.

I'm fairly impartial to bloom, as long as a non bloom utility weapon exists. I liked the dmr okay in Reach (less bloom would have been ideal) besides the fact that it was a replacement for the br. It's been stated that the dmr's bloom is pretty negligible this time, right? Oh, and the Reach dmr sounds better than the Halo 4 dmr...there seems to be no echo in Halo 4, sounds like every gun is being shot in a small indoor area from what I've heard.

Jawmuncher

Since there isnt a Halo Wars OT thought i'd post here.
Though I probably wont get any help but its worth a shot.

I'm currently TRYING to play Halo Wars however i've noticed the game isn't unlock any achievements. This isn't a case of im not doing it right, it's not even unlocking stuff for playing the campaign.

So far i've tried
-Deleting Save
-Clearing Cache
-Starting a New Game
-Continuing Game
-Playing on Easy and Normal

I have already played the first 3 missions together 9 times.
Yet absolutely nothing is working. The weirdest thing is that Clearing Cache and deleting the save isn't working either. Especially the save since if I delete the Save It just comes back once I start the game (I guess its somehow tied to my profile)

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?
Im assuming the issue might stem from starting the game online and then currently playing offline (No internet hook up for my 360 here). But like I said its just so odd that clearing cache and deleting the save isnt doing anything

BigShow36

The bloom is largely a guide to when you can fire, not any sort of "spread." And even if there is, it's minimal at best.

I'm fairly impartial to bloom, as long as a non bloom utility weapon exists. I liked the dmr okay in Reach (less bloom would have been ideal) besides the fact that it was a replacement for the br. It's been stated that the dmr's bloom is pretty negligible this time, right? Oh, and the Reach dmr sounds better than the Halo 4 dmr...there seems to be no echo in Halo 4, sounds like every gun is being shot in a small indoor area from what I've heard.

Most of the games I have been playing have been Slayer Pro, so here's some of my thoughts on BR vs DMR balance for you guys to digest:

Flinching and Bloom:

I feel that it's pretty significant that zooming in against good players in this game is just not a good idea at anything but extreme range, unless it is for a quick-scope to finish a kill with a headshot. Good players simply hit most if not of their shots in their average firefight, so zooming in too much is pointless because you're going to flinch like crazy. Because of this, you want to spend most of your time zoomed out.

Now, the DMR's bloom is more of a factor that people think. Yes, the DMR has a faster kill time than the BR, but to get a 5sk at most common ranges, the bloom will be maxed out after the 4th shot. Thus, getting a headshot consistently without zooming in is impossible at many ranges. The trick is to land 4 body shots, and then quick-scope at the head for the final head shot. In my experience, this is the only way to consistently get a 5sk at anything but close range because the increased autoaim and accuracy you get from being zoomed in are taken advantage of, and you avoid the whole flinching thing at the same time. That being said, if you miss your 5th shot it's easy to get caught up in a flinchy zoom and be killed before you can get your next shot lined up. It's just very difficult to do against good players.

At the same time, the BR is almost perfectly accurate - there's barely any spread, at least at the ranges the game is played at. The BR can be used at most common ranges without having to be zoomed in. This makes it much more consistent and reliable than the DMR at a mid range that I'll talk about in the last section

At the end of the day, I can't say for sure until I play. However, Bloom will always be a factor by it's mere inclusion. There are going to be times where bloom plays a role in the outcome, and I don't like that.

JHall

Hey yall, quick question. I'm looking for a TV or monitor that I can connect a 360 to without display/input lag. It can't be much more than $200. Any recommendations? 22" is most likely, but 27" would be nice.

When I get home from work I'll PM you with some suggestions. I have a 23" Asus V238H and I absolutely love it. I've used Samsung, Viewsonic, and LG. Asus is my favorite by far.

I'm currently TRYING to play Halo Wars however i've noticed the game isn't unlock any achievements. This isn't a case of im not doing it right, it's not even unlocking stuff for playing the campaign.

So far i've tried
-Deleting Save
-Clearing Cache
-Starting a New Game
-Continuing Game

Yet absolutely nothing is working. The weirdest thing is that Clearing Cache and deleting the save isn't working either. Especially the save since if I delete the Save It just comes back once I start the game (I guess its somehow tied to my profile)

Im assuming the issue might stem from starting the game online and then currently playing offline (No internet hook up for my 360 here). But like I said its just so odd that clearing cache and deleting the save isnt doing anything

Maybe you need to accept the patch update or try to do the skull cheevo?

Redford

aka Cabbie
I've been trying to get an answer for this for a while: in all the E3 vids, whenever someone tossed a grenade, it made multiple, echoing clanking noises before exploding. Was that some sort of glitch, and is it in the final build?

Jawmuncher

Maybe you need to accept the patch update or try to do the skull cheevo?

I'm assuming its online related but like I said currently have no internet trying to play it.
I mean I might just have to wait to play it, but I was having a lot of fun with it.
Unlocking a skull I guess I can try. Im pretty much out of options here.

My guess is corrupted profile. Try deleting and then recovering your xbl profile. Make sure you know your login credentials before you try this.

Might be but it's indeed looking like any way to fix this is going to revolve around using xbox live.
I guess im going to have to throw this game back in the backlog and wait until im home to play it.

Karl2177

So far i've tried
-Deleting Save
-Clearing Cache
-Starting a New Game
-Continuing Game

Are the notifications not popping up or the achievements not unlocking? I noticed mine weren't popping up on a different game, and for some reason the dash update turned the notifications off.

The Asus VH236H is a popular choice for fighting games due to its low input lag. 23", 1080p.

Jawmuncher

Are the notifications not popping up or the achievements not unlocking? I noticed mine weren't popping up on a different game, and for some reason the dash update turned the notifications off.

Nope straight up not unlocking.
Double Checked multiple times to make sure that wasn't the case.
I'm going to try and unlock a skull and playing on a new profile to see if it changes anything.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Karl2177

Nope straight up not unlocking.
Double Checked multiple times to make sure that wasn't the case.
I'm going to try and unlock a skull and playing on a new profile to see if it changes anything.
Do you have another game to attempt unlocking an achievement on it? My guess now would be a corrupted profile. Since you don't have Live access, the best way to verify it is with another achievement. Otherwise if you had Live access, I would say delete your profile and redownload it.

Talents

Banned
So there is no radar in slayer pro?

660px-Halo_4_VG_2012_-_Halo_4_2012_Interview_with_Kevin_Franklin.jpg

Ruined? Pretty much every other playlist has a radar, let the competitive players have something at launch aswell.

Ruined? Pretty much every other playlist has a radar, let the competitive players have something at launch aswell.

Competitive players don't like radar? If that's the case, why?

edit: I know its been like that in the past, just never really understood it. I feel like radar adds another dimension.

S1kkZ

question about spartan-ops: will it use some mp maps? i know they use some (changed) levels/areas from campaign.
could you miss out on spartan ops missions if you dont have one of the future map packs?

L1NETT

So there is no radar in slayer pro? + Pic

tumblr_mb7atkqIQk1r1r4hpo5_r5_250.gif

No Radar in that playlist is GOOD. (I think) Competitive playlist = Competitive settings.

Or that might have been a joke post. In which case I look like a douche. Sorry in advance if that is the case

Talents

Banned

I'm not saying I don't like radar, I do. It's a neat feature, but by removing the radar, it encourages teamwork, if there's no radar you have no idea of knowing where the enemy is unless your team mate calls them out.

So there is no radar in slayer pro?

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z259/jhferry/660px-Halo_4_VG_2012_-_Halo_4_2012_Interview_with_Kevin_Franklin.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]Radar's dumb. It's good to have a mode where people aren't glued to watching dots on the corner of their screen and y'know, use their actual senses.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/nv0hD.png

Sanjuro

I always hated the argument against radar. Crouch movement and proximity chat in Halo 2 made for some fun times with the radar.

Raide

question about spartan-ops: will it use some mp maps? i know they use some (changed) levels/areas from campaign.
could you miss out on spartan ops missions if you dont have one of the future map packs?

I thought they were crafted for each one since it is a separate co-op Campaign aside from the main storyline.

They made that mistake in Reach, so I think they want to go back to crafting MP and SP stuff on their own.

Overdoziz

Banned

edit: I know its been like that in the past, just never really understood it. I feel like radar adds another dimension.
Because being aware of your surroundings is a big part of competitive play. A radar essentially does the looking for you so it makes the skill-gap smaller. It also allows people to move around more freely, outmaneuver other players and it discourages camping.

Blissful

Neo Member
So is the whole skill-based ranking system done for good? or are we still waiting for 343 to give us a final clear statement regarding it?

Top Bottom