• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure the only midnight releases I've been to have been for Halo 2, Halo 3, and Reach. I remember buying some N64 games first thing in the morning on launch day, though. Ocarina of Time and Perfect Dark, for sure.

Edit : Oh yeah, I bought the Wii at midnight on launch, too.

zlatko

Banned
So the codes on Doritos are on the outside of the bag?

#douchehat

Going to snap 30 some pics with my cell phone tonight at Target.

Mine was Halo 3 at Best Buy. Sent a news crew out to interview folks and were pretty far away. Unbeknownst to me they were zoomed in on me and my friends and I was smoking a huge stoagie while waiting...so that was fun to explain to my parents for the first time that I like cigars.

X1Cc4.jpg

willow ve

I'm pretty sure the only midnight releases I've been to have been for Halo 2, Halo 3, and Reach. I remember buying some N64 games first thing in the morning on launch day, though. Ocarina of Time and Perfect Dark, for sure.

I've always had to work on launch day (more important things to use vacation days for) - so I've always chosen release day shipping and skipped out of the office early in the afternoon to play.

This is the first year I would be able to do midnight launch and I already ordered from Amazon (had gift cards, etc. that brought the game to $22 out of pocket) so I guess I'll be joining all the fools later in the day after I vote.

So the codes on Doritos are on the outside of the bag?

#douchehat

Going to snap 30 some pics with my cell phone tonight at Target.

Good luck finding bags that haven't already been redeemed.... (unless they're allowing each code to be redeemed twice (on different accounts) like they have in the past to avoid this very fiasco.

Mine was Halo 3 at Best Buy. Sent a news crew out to interview folks and were pretty far away. Unbeknownst to me they were zoomed in on me and my friends and I was smoking a huge stoagie while waiting...so that was fun to explain to my parents for the first time that I like cigars.

Your dad should have given you a firm handshake and welcomed you to the man club.

Moa

• Skill-based searching - will full teams be matching teams of randoms?
• Waypoint Site Update for Halo 4
• Specializations for Standard Edition owners
• How both Disc ONE & Disc TWO work
• Official list of all gametypes playable in Halo 4, which are in, which aren't, what is new, what's been changed, including King of the Hill.
• Playlist information - will it all search via skill, info on search restrictions, player sizes, etc.
• File Browser information, file share information
• Custom Game options for all gametypes, a detailed list of them would be appreciated so we can plan ahead for launch.
• List of all vehicles in Halo 4, what's in Campaign, what's in Multiplayer, what are they capable of?
• Information on pre-order skins, a lot of websites are advertising skins and armours, we don't know if we get both, if they will work on all armours and all that stuff.
• Information on Custom Challenges, will they return for Halo 4, will they be purely app based again or will they show up in-game on the Challenge interface?
• Information on EXP caps, like the credit cap in Halo: Reach, will it return, is it higher, does it exist?
• Does Fast Track work in custom lobbies outside of Matchmaking, does it work in Spartan Ops?
• Information on Commendations, are they in Spartan Ops, Campaign, Multiplayer, Customs?
• Will we have an in-game Service Record, similar to Reach?
• Have you thought of ways to give other players the pre-order skins and stuff?
• Does the Rocket Launcher lock on similar to Halo 2 & Reach, if so, what is it capable of locking onto?
• ATLAS, is it returning, if so, what will it work in, Spartan Ops included?
On the topic of ATLAS, are Forge maps supported if it is included.
• A complete list of what can be forged for Dominion, what can & can't be placed?
• A list of all information of all Forge pallets, what items are in, what is returning from old games that isn't known, information on map exclusive items.
• How will split-screen work over Xbox LIVE or multiplayer in general, is it four player split screen, is it playlist based, can players control this in customs?
Has the split-screen performance improved from Reach?
• How frequent will Matchmaking Updates occur, will then be monthly, weekly, bi-weekly?
• How will Forged maps be handled in terms of Matchmaking integration.
• How will the Community Cartographers system work for Halo 4, will I still have to contact them to have my map considered for Matchmaking, or is there alternative ways to contact the Matchmaking team directly?

--------

Can anyone else think of stuff that hasn't been announced by 343i officially that still needs to be before launch?

I went to Gamestop for the Halo 3 midnight launch and got angrily berated by an employee simply because I didn't pre-order the game. I promptly told him to fuck off and sell me one of the hundreds of standard editions that he had behind the counter. Never been back to a GS since.

Best Buy midnight Halo 4 for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Uhh, what? There's no reason for them to discuss a lot of that stuff before launch.

• Skill-based searching - will full teams be matching teams of randoms?

Can anyone else think of stuff that hasn't been announced by 343i officially that still needs to be before launch?

• How both Disc ONE & Disc TWO work - Install second disk and access mutli and campaign from disk one
• Official list of all gametypes playable in Halo 4, which are in, which aren't, what is new, what's been changed, including King of the Hill. - All announced?
• Playlist information - will it all search via skill, info on search restrictions, player sizes, etc. - Skill based search on a number of factors
• Custom Game options for all gametypes, a detailed list of them would be appreciated so we can plan ahead for launch.
• List of all vehicles in Halo 4, what's in Campaign, what's in Multiplayer, what are they capable of? - Multiplayer vehicles shown
• Information on pre-order skins, a lot of websites are advertising skins and armours, we don't know if we get both, if they will work on all armours and all that stuff. - The bulletin?
• Information on Custom Challenges, will they return for Halo 4, will they be purely app based again or will they show up in-game on the Challenge interface? - there IS challenges but nothing more than that so far
• Information on EXP caps, like the credit cap in Halo: Reach, will it return, is it higher, does it exist?
• Does Fast Track work in custom lobbies outside of Matchmaking, does it work in Spartan Ops?
• Information on Commendations, are they in Spartan Ops, Campaign, Multiplayer, Customs?
• Does the Rocket Launcher lock on similar to Halo 2 & Reach, if so, what is it capable of locking onto?
• ATLAS, is it returning, if so, what will it work in, Spartan Ops included? - oddly remember hearing something about it returning?
• A complete list of what can be forged for Dominion, what can & can't be placed?
• A list of all information of all Forge pallets, what items are in, what is returning from old games that isn't known, information on map exclusive items.
• How will split-screen work over Xbox LIVE or multiplayer in general, is it four player split screen, is it playlist based, can players control this in customs? 4 player split screen in campaign, will be in multiplayer
• How frequent will Matchmaking Updates occur, will then be monthly, weekly, bi-weekly?
• How will Forged maps be handled in terms of Matchmaking integration. - Hopefully never
• How will the Community Cartographers system work for Halo 4, will I still have to contact them to have my map considered for Matchmaking, or is there alternative ways to contact the Matchmaking team directly?

--------

I've answered the ones i'm pretty sure i know, i'm probably completely wrong so do forgive me if i've misunderstood

Loginius

I thought we were getting two new vehicles?
I only know of the mantis or has the mammoth been confirmed as the second?
If not what is the second vehicle?

Korosenai

I went to the Reach midnight launch and it was ok. Nothing special.

I won't be going to the Halo 4 midnight launch. I have class all day Tuesday, but I will be picking up Halo 4 on my way there in the morning.

Not really, I went to Walmart for Reach launch night. They had free food and drinks, everyone including the employees was really pumped up, believe it or not nobody was a smelly cavedweller, they gave us a bunch of swag, and, because we bought at midnight, we got $20 off. Was one of the best launch nights I've been to, only trumped by the one that our local Hastings had for Halo 2. Was just straight up awesome.

That sounds like the exact opposite of what I would expect anything at Walmart to be like.

Moa

• How both Disc ONE & Disc TWO work - Install second disk and access mutli and campaign from disk one
• Official list of all gametypes playable in Halo 4, which are in, which aren't, what is new, what's been changed, including King of the Hill. - All announced?
• Playlist information - will it all search via skill, info on search restrictions, player sizes, etc. - Skill based search on a number of factors
• List of all vehicles in Halo 4, what's in Campaign, what's in Multiplayer, what are they capable of? - Multiplayer vehicles shown
• Information on pre-order skins, a lot of websites are advertising skins and armours, we don't know if we get both, if they will work on all armours and all that stuff. - The bulletin?
• Information on Custom Challenges, will they return for Halo 4, will they be purely app based again or will they show up in-game on the Challenge interface? - there IS challenges but nothing more than that so far
• ATLAS, is it returning, if so, what will it work in, Spartan Ops included? - oddly remember hearing something about it returning?
• How will split-screen work over Xbox LIVE or multiplayer in general, is it four player split screen, is it playlist based, can players control this in customs? 4 player split screen in campaign, will be in multiplayer
• How will Forged maps be handled in terms of Matchmaking integration. - Hopefully never

--------

I've answered the ones i'm pretty sure i know, i'm probably completely wrong so do forgive me if i've misunderstood

Problem is, most if not all of these haven't came from Waypoint itself, just GAF and other placed which the regular Halo player might not even visit, which leaves them in the dark completely.

Sanjuro

I went to the Reach midnight launch and it was ok. Nothing special.

I won't be going to the Halo 4 midnight launch. I have class all day Tuesday, but I will be picking up Halo 4 on my way there in the morning.

I'm debating on the Halo 4 launch, still trying to catch up and find a seat on the hype train.

I worked at the game store for Halo 2 & 3 launches. Those were a blast.

I walked out of GS at Midnight for Reach with 4 Legendary Editions, the console, a Limited Edition, and a raucous applause. No lie, lol. There's a picture of me in my living room with everything all stacked up. Taller than me (doesn't take much). Also went and bought a bunch of $5 pizzas and handed them out to the groups of people in line. Great night.

And yes, there are 4 GrimBrothers. Sue me. #leavenobrotherbehind

Karl2177

So about the terminal thingies. I guessing that K is the starting letter. Mostly because its left edge is a single indent, compared to the others which have fancier indents. So K_________ with a C and a 3 in it.

FyreWulff

I walked out of GS at Midnight for Reach with 4 Legendary Editions, the console, a Limited Edition, and a raucous applause. No lie, lol. There's a picture of me in my living room with everything all stacked up. Taller than me (doesn't take much). Also went and bought a bunch of $5 pizzas and handed them out to the groups of people in line. Great night.

i chalang u to 4 v 4

blamite

I just realized I'm not sure the Best Buy I preordered at is having a midnight opening at all. :eek:I don't think they're having onf for Assassin's Creed 3, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't have one for Halo, right? I wouldn't think a Best Buy in Chicago would ignore that big of an opening. I need to look into this, 'cause I'm playing Halo 4 at midnight no matter what, even if I have to go buy the standard edition at Gamestop and sell it later to get the LE from Best Buy.

Sai-kun

Banned
I just realized I'm not sure the Best Buy I preordered at is having a midnight opening at all. :eek:I don't think they're having onf for Assassin's Creed 3, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't have one for Halo, right? I wouldn't think a Best Buy in Chicago would ignore that big of an opening. I need to look into this, 'cause I'm playing Halo 4 at midnight no matter what, even if I have to go buy the standard edition at Gamestop and sell it later to get the LE from Best Buy.

Depends what store? I would think a downtown BB or one on the north side (like the Clark st. store) would be doing a midnight.

Well, that makes a lot of sense now.

I have mentioned this more than once before, but I got extremely lucky and paid the standard edition price for the Reach Legendary at midnight launch. I felt bad for taking advantage of the poor kid's mistake for the entire 10 minute car ride home.

Weapon sound was always weak in halo imo. Reach's dmr sounded like a shitty air gun. Now it sounds pretty damn good.
What? Reach's DMR is one of the best sounding guns in any Halo game. The only thing that tops it imo is the CEA sniper rifle.

zlatko

Banned
Haven isn't the sexiest looking map out of the bunch, but it just looks well designed. Gives me Guardian vibes.

Can't wait to play it! :D

blamite

Depends what store? I would think a downtown BB or one on the north side (like the Clark st. store) would be doing a midnight.

Yeah the one on Clark. I figured that'd be sure to do one for sure but it seems weird that there hasn't been any confirmation yet.

Top Bottom