• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

xBrutality

Neo Member
Kynan talks about how he loves the scale of Haven and it's great for 4v4. If he loved the scale so much why is every other map bigger? -__-

did midnight lunch for Halo 2, Halo 3, Reach, MW2, and 360, Wii, PS3, GCN, PS2 launches

trying to make the Halo 4 one at best buy, I don't get off til midnight, and its about 25 min from my work, not sure how late they stay open

In case anyone is interested, here's the link to download the latest 343i Multiplayer ViDoc (via the Microsoft press site). It's nearly half a gig, however it includes some additional bonus footage that was cut from the original, including the floodassassination. I'd .gif it, but I don't know how!

Oh cool, I didn't DL it before because I thought it was the same thing.. I'll check it out.

Strange, seing as they made such a big deal about skulls with the Anniversary release. Maybe there are new skulls, but the old skulls are just unlocked from the beginning?

I would love for that to happen, but I really doubt it sadly.

So, I wonder if CA and 343 after making Forge for Halo 4 sat back and had this reaction:

gob_bluth_huge_mistake.jpg

Visually, other than the shadows which help a tad, it has the exact same issues that Forge World had.. Well, wait, it does have a better skybox. But yeah.

Well the bulletin was a fucking disaster.

Why they'd replace the prototype mantis model, which is absolutely badass and fits the series aesthetic so well, and abandon it for a boring conventional mech design is beyond me.

Shame, massive massive shame.

Eh, even though it was in the anime I'm not sure if Im a complete fan of the prototype mech designs. They were cool, but they really didn't scream UNSC to me. Of course if they stuck down that design path I'm sure they would have found a way to make it awesome so who knows.

I'm delighted they're unlocked from the start. IMO, gameplay modifiers should be available from the get-go. Add other stuff for people hunt down to scratch that itch, and it sounds like they have.

Eh, I do see what you mean, but I wish some would still be hidden. If stuff like Bandanna were making a return I would prefer that one be hidden initially.

New pic from the live action ad.

344829.png

No fuckin way.. This ads gonna kick ass, isn't it? Source for the pic?

Fuchsdh

Some of the helmets have a "stop taking those kinds of drugs while designing" vibe to them.
Yeah, this mostly. A lot of the helmet designs weren't that great to me in the other games too, so that's not change. I'm upset about the Chiefs magic armor, not the shenanigans for the Gen 2 stuff.

Part 4
--------------

Tactical/Support/Whatever-you-call-’em

I can’t remember all the perks in Halo 4, and I’d have a hard telling you which does what. There are a lot of options, which is great, and there doesn’t seem to be any redundancies. Much to choose from! I rolled with Stability and Shielding.

That all being said, despite the variety of options I felt like I was forced to pick Stability. It’s the perk that stops you from flinching when you’re shot while zoomed in. When I first heard about the flinching, I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to like it. And I don’t. At all. I played one game without Stability, and I was having a frustrating experience. I am not a fan of mechanics that make it harder for the player to play the game. Make the game harder, don’t make it harder for the player to play. Halo does not (until now) – and should not – employ mechanics like this. I think 343 would be wise to get rid of the flinching in Halo 5 and stay away from such decisions in the future. In a game all about its sandbox, this detracts from it because it interferes with your ability to fully use the options you have.

When fighting – I don’t know if it was just me – but I didn’t even notice the perks. You’ll probably be able to pick ‘em out with more play time, but for now I was clueless as to who was using what. I see that as a good thing because that means they’re not dominating the combat or not determining outcomes.

Global Ordnance System

I can’t really form an opinion on this yet. In my games of CTF and Oddball, I wasn’t paying much attention to the GOS. I dunno why I wasn’t, but from what I played I could see the problems others have said on here.

One thing I did notice was that under the new system, I was going for power weapons far less than I had in previous games. More often than not I would only go for a power weapon if it was on my way. I dunno if this trend will continue long after the game comes out, or if it’s a good thing or bad thing.

Weapons

Okay. I’m going to go over, one by one, what I think (briefly) of all the weapons I was able to try out. No view is set in stone.

1. Carbine - Quite useful, but could use a slight buff. I enjoyed using it.
2. Boltshot - This weapon is just plain fun. A joy to use. I love getting kills with the shotgun charge on this thing. I’m absolutely addicted to it, and I think this will be my most-used secondary weapon.
3. Needler - LOVE. With the removal of standard weapon spawns, this has freed 343 to buff up the Needler considerably, and it so wondrous. This is likely just me, but I’d take this weapon over any power weapon. It is too much fun and packs a considerable punch.
4. Incinerator - As deadly as it sounds, and so much fun to use. Best not to screw around with this weapon.
5. Beam Rifle - It’s the Beam Rifle. Sound for it is great, and I love the HUD when you’re zoomed in.
6. Sticky Detonator - A solid weapon in its own right, but it ultimately falls short compared to the grenade launcher from Reach. A considerable amount of the nuance is gone.
7. Rockets: Rockets.
8. BR - Didn’t use it very much, but it seemed like a solid weapon.
9. DMR - Same as BR.
10. AR - Didn’t use it.
11. Saw - Always had a great time when I used it.
12. Binary rifle - Very, very easy to use. Out of all the weapons, this one was what I was most unsure about. I don’t think limiting it to two rounds before reload is enough to balance it out.
13. Shotgun - I love the first-person perspective of this gun. Can’t remember if I got any kills with it. I think I did.
14. Spartan Laser - May be finally balanced. When I was using it, I noticed the aim assist was gone when zoomed in. Could really change how the weapon plays.
15. Plasma pistol - Tracking ability is low. It’s the plasma pistol.
16. Railgun - So much fun. Love getting kills with this thing.

The great thing about the weapons in Halo 4 is that they all seem very fun to use because they’re all very powerful in their own unique way. A benefit of abandoning the weapon spawn system of the past, I figure.

Anyway, I think that’s it. Overall I had a great time and am eager to play more. Ask any questions you want and I’ll answer what I can.

Once more, please don’t let any of my thoughts give you worry. As I’ve said many times on this board, they’re just impressions. Any of the opinions I have expressed once I’ve really sunk some time into the game.

Raide

What is the general consensus on having maps with secret bits in them? When I make Forge maps, I like to put a few secrets here and there (Hidden teleport to strange places :D), so I might carry this on with Halo4orge.

I kinda miss the old Quake style maps with secrets around.

Bsigg12

Flood is only 5v5?

Also do we have any clarification if the flood can use different weapons like the sniper?

Flood is 8 vs 2. 2 alpha flood players and 8 normal spartans. Since the game is infection the use of other weapons outside of the Flood claw sword thing seems doubtful to me.

Or exactly like Reach. ;)
More or less. I was referring more to pieces that were specific to an armor design like the horn and not like the interchangeable, generic pieces of flair that came with the Reach models.

I realize that I'm being extremely nit-picky, by the way. I've found at least 4 different helmets that I'll be switching back and forth to, which is more than enough for me. Hell, I may even end up liking some of the ones that I thought were ugly, excluding the sad Hazop.

If you get rid of the horn, you can't call it FOTUS.

FOTHS just doesn't have the same ring to it.
You could just call it the Horse Fist...no, wait. That sounds really disgusting.

heckfu

Banned
What is the general consensus on having maps with secret bits in them? When I make Forge maps, I like to put a few secrets here and there (Hidden teleport to strange places :D), so I might carry this on with Halo4orge.

I kinda miss the old Quake style maps with secrets around.
As long as it never makes it into matchmaking go nuts.

More or less. I was referring more to pieces that were specific to an armor design like the horn and not like the interchangeable, generic pieces of flair that came with the Reach models.

I realize that I'm being extremely nit-picky, by the way. I've found at least 4 different helmets that I'll be switching back and forth to, which is more than enough for me. Hell, I may even end up liking some of the ones that I thought were ugly, excluding the sad Hazop.

Seems like Recruit is a mixture of ODST and standard MkVI

Sorry I meant 'flood is only 10 players?'

I like bigger lobbies with 16 people. :(

If the flood don't get weapons.. what happens to all the duck hunt(sniper)/fat kid(hammer alpha zombie) games ? :(

Duck Hunt I could argue could be done with Juggernaut. Just give the Jugger a sniper, extra health and one life.

Holy shit 117 is amazing at about 3:40 and on. If anyone cares, they are on YouTube, probably will get pulled soon. Can't wait to own this soundtrack, it is so good. Well done Neil, well done.

Anyway, I think that’s it. Overall I had a great time and am eager to play more. Ask any questions you want and I’ll answer what I can.
Where had you been at the CTF Match on Adrift? I had to do two Flag runs alone. Not that it was a problem because the Flagnum is awesome now but still it would have been better if you had been in my back and protected me. But nah, you had to kill people. Stupid objective holder. Just to clarify: He was one of my team mates.

Shadders

I'm really excited for this advert tomorrow, is that weird? Do other groups of fans get excited about adverts for their product of choice?

Top Bottom