• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Finished reading First Strike last night. I will continue to read through the appendices tonight. Overall, I don't think I enjoyed it less than Fall of Reach. To be fair though, it had much less retconning in the current continuity than Fall of Reach. It also did a good job explaining a couple of things I had wondered about between CE and Halo 2 like
How Johnson got off of Installation 04 and how Johnson didn't get infected by the flood.

Why does the BR sound so shit? Is it just YouTube's dodgy sound mix?

The weapons sound weird to me too, kind of like the mic they recorded to use them couldn't take the range of the weapon's frequency, like it cuts off at a certain point. Reach's dmr doesn't have as much bass, but it seems a lot clearer with a much better echo.

I really doubt the sounds are the result of technical incompetence. 343 had enough money, talent, and time to get the sounds the way they wanted them.

Well, technical understanding and having a good ear are different, but I know what you mean. I still think the sound is great in Halo 4, but some of the weapons do make the speakers almost sound blown. I've heard a lot of complaints about the sound, so that says something.

The weapons sound weird to me too, kind of like the mic they recorded to use them couldn't take the range of the weapon's frequency, like it cuts off at a certain point. Reach's dmr doesn't have as much bass sound, but it seems a lot clearer with a much better echo.

I really doubt the sounds are the result of technical incompetence. 343 had enough money, talent, and time to get the sounds the way they wanted them.

My main issue is how much Reach retcons Fall of Reach continuity. In hindsight it was inevitable given how long ago Fall of Reach was written and how it doesn't jive with what the history they wanted. But it still bothers me. You'd think as a comics nerd I'd be used to it.
Bothered/bothers me a lot too.
It wasn't a small date change, there were significant ones, and for what? To tie Noble Team to the trilogy? To make their story more "meaningful"?
For me it had the opposite effect, it disconnected me more from Reach and caring that it was falling, because I knew I was "saving the Universe" anyway. Which wasn't what I signed up for when I bought into Reach.

FyreWulff

I've been thinking and wanted some input from you guys:

Do you think story-wise that Bungie gave the series a disservice by making Reach instead of continuing Master Chief's story?

Put personal bias aside of gameplay for a second. I just think that casuals may not care about MC's story as much since so much time has passed. Or do y'all think they care MORE because they've had to wait longer?

It showed Bungie didn't need to lean on the Chief to create new Halo games.

So no, not a disservice, and I could not give less of a shit about if it hurt Fall of Reach's feelings or not.

H3xum

Just put in to have Tuesday off

First midnight release I'll be going to since Bioshock 2

Woooooooooo irrationally hyped

Pretty bummed that the skulls are the same from Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach.

New skulls, pls.
Do the skulls work in SpOps too? It was specifically not mentioned in the Bulletin, so I guess not. They'd be a nice addition to have for later mission replays, but there may be something 343 has in store for us regarding SpOps that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I've been thinking and wanted some input from you guys:

Do you think story-wise that Bungie gave the series a disservice by making Reach instead of continuing Master Chief's story?

Put personal bias aside of gameplay for a second. I just think that casuals may not care about MC's story as much since so much time has passed. Or do y'all think they care MORE because they've had to wait longer?
To me, the only disservice done was the extremely poor writing of Reach. The dialog is clunky if not completely stupid at times, and the voice acting was stiffer than any other Halo game. The retcons have already been mentioned, but as a comic/sci-fi nerd I'm used to that shit.

I am all kinds of ready for more Master Chief story.

Why does the BR sound so shit? Is it just YouTube's dodgy sound mix?
Yes, it's youtube. I was highly skeptical of the weapon sounds until I played the game with headphones on; now I love it all.

GhaleonEB

Oh, Lame, Skulls aren't hidden around campaign anymore. They're unlocked from the start.

Ah well.

It still annoys me that we don't have to find them.

At least CEA had some new ones. Blah, not only are they all unlocked from the start but they really are straight from Halo 3.. Such a weird choice.. I would have loved for some hard to get skulls like Bandanna or Grunt Funeral again..

I'm delighted they're unlocked from the start. IMO, gameplay modifiers should be available from the get-go. Add other stuff for people hunt down to scratch that itch, and it sounds like they have.

Striker

But Over said "lol", so it must be shit.
Its layout is better than default Foundry and Sandbox's, so it's not bad, really. But it is pretty basic (or bland, however you want to call it) and similar to many you would see from much of the community in an arena setup.

Its layout is better than default Foundry and Sandbox's, so it's not bad, really. But it is pretty basic (or bland, however you want to call it) and similar to many you would see from much of the community in an arena setup.

Arguably what makes MLG maps so good. No fluff :p

It's not shit, it's just a very basic, simple map. Nothing too special. Also, windows don't fly in MLG. :)
Why is that? Is it because of the inability to shoot at someone who can be seen? That would be totally understandable and something I wouldn't have considered.

I was being snarky, but I do like the simple layout despite the overwhelmingly monochrome color palette. Shadows will only be able to do so much, which kind of sucks. Hopefully the colored lighting can make a big difference without cratering the framerate.

Relay looks like a solid map.

Its not too bad. Its a basic doughnut map where most of the battles will happen around the outside since there is no real advantage to battling it out in the middle of the map due to the lack of cover. I think top mid should be raised up a little bit more to provide more of an advantage when shooting towards the outer walls, since there appears to only be one change in height elevation on the map.

It looks better than the pre-forged maps in reach though.

Tunavi

Banned
I haven't seen a lot of footage, but doesn't Relay look a lot like Haven?
They're both symmetrical maps made for 4v4, but you can never have enough of those

Haven is more about corridor combat and Relay is more about cross mapping with lots of open space.

They're both symmetrical maps made for 4v4, but you can never have enough of those

Haven is more about corridor combat and Relay is more about cross mapping with lots of open space.

I'd like to see more of a mix between the two. Like someone said earlier, being out in the middle on Relay seems somewhat pointless; sure you can probably get more kills but you're also way more vulnerable. Needs a little more cover.

I'm delighted they're unlocked from the start. IMO, gameplay modifiers should be available from the get-go. Add other stuff for people hunt down to scratch that itch, and it sounds like they have.

Agreed. Already planning which skulls to use on my first playthrough. Thinking thunderstorm, famine, and touch luck right now.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Cynical Forge hate (sorry nilla) aside, Relay looks pretty sweet.

TheOddOne

The fun thing about finding skulls is that they were put in really obscure places. To get them you had to something absurd, which was fun.

The fun thing about finding skulls is that they were put in really obscure places. To get them you had to something absurd, which was fun.

One of my best campaign memories was going through coop with a mate of mine trying to find all the skulls in halo 3.

The terminals just don't t fill the same purpose to me. I want to find something that I can hold in my hand and beat an enemy with if I should choose so.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame we won't have that opportunity any more.
We will. Just replace [skulls] with [Terminals + other easter eggs]. I'd prefer to hunt down the skulls, too, but hunting down other things is just as fun for me.

FyreWulff

Building off my last post on this:

I'd rather do skulls this way:

Make a bunch of modifier ones like we already have, since it's essentially a fancy way of saying "custom campaign options". Unlocked from the start.

However, in campaign, rig up the backend to where 343 can place skulls wherever they want on a campaign mission after ship. Finding the skull gives you a certain amount of cR/spoints. You can then spend this on armory stuff, or if you wanted it to be more integrated into campaign, as a bonus modifier to a campaign run (ie, spend 10,000cR to give YOURSELF mythic attributes. the stats page would reflect this, so people can still verify pure SLASOs).

They'd refresh the skull hunt weekly/biweekly/monthly. The skulls would then move/reappear elsewhere. You'd get a hint of where they are via the challenge interface, so they could put a really hard esoteric one out there or 10 easy ones. Someone finds a really hard place to get to? 343 could respond by placing a skull up there for a month and say 'do it again'. It'd be something nice for the campaign playerbase and encourage people to revisit the campaign as well. And if you could take a 'gamble' on spending currency on attributes, we could also have a good way to implement beneficial skulls without them just being thrown on all the time.

Under this system, you could have the crazy stunts/jumps and searching to find them, and it also wouldn't be one-and-done/gamefaqs'd to hell and back within 3 weeks of launch.

Beckx

Building off my last post on this:

Under this system, you could have the crazy stunts/jumps and searching to find them, and it also wouldn't be one-and-done/gamefaqs'd to hell and back within 3 weeks of launch.

Kind of like looking for Bobs, which was such a great addition to Reach.

One of my favorite co-op memories in Reach was the hunt for Banshee Bob on New Alexandria.

I really hope there's something like this in H4.

But then less hype!

Not really, I went to Walmart for Reach launch night. They had free food and drinks, everyone including the employees was really pumped up, believe it or not nobody was a smelly cavedweller, they gave us a bunch of swag, and, because we bought at midnight, we got $20 off. Was one of the best launch nights I've been to, only trumped by the one that our local Hastings had for Halo 2. Was just straight up awesome.

After extended research I have concluded that game fuel does not exist and is merely a fabrication of the marketing department.

I'll be bummed out if this Best Buy doesn't have a midnight launch as I have yet to go to a midnight launch.

heckfu

Banned
Not really, I went to Walmart for Reach launch night. They had free food and drinks, everyone including the employees was really pumped up, believe it or not nobody was a smelly cavedweller, they gave us a bunch of swag, and, because we bought at midnight, we got $20 off. Was one of the best launch nights I've been to, only trumped by the one that our local Hastings had for Halo 2. Was just straight up awesome.

Mine was Halo 3 at Best Buy. Sent a news crew out to interview folks and were pretty far away. Unbeknownst to me they were zoomed in on me and my friends and I was smoking a huge stoagie while waiting...so that was fun to explain to my parents for the first time that I like cigars.

TheOddOne

Mine was Halo 3 at Best Buy. Sent a news crew out to interview folks and were pretty far away. Unbeknownst to me they were zoomed in on me and my friends and I was smoking a huge stoagie while waiting...so that was fun to explain to my parents for the first time that I like cigars.
Bahhahahahah.

Top Bottom