• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Conor 419

Banned
Well the bulletin was a fucking disaster.

Why they'd replace the prototype mantis model, which is absolutely badass and fits the series aesthetic so well, and abandon it for a boring conventional mech design is beyond me.

Shame, massive massive shame.

Skulls in Campaign: yay!

The same ones used from Halo 3, ODST, and Reach: not so yay.

Glad they're back but this is a space that's begging for some iteration. Four games of the same ones in a row is making them feel token now.

Hey, at least the Skull community have feature parity from the five year old predecessor! Can't go to the movies with a friend in Halo 4.

FyreWulff

I'd rather do skulls this way:

Make a bunch of modifier ones like we already have, since it's essentially a fancy way of saying "custom campaign options". Unlocked from the start.

However, in campaign, rig up the backend to where 343 can place skulls wherever they want on a campaign mission after ship. Finding the skull gives you a certain amount of cR/spoints. You can then spend this on armory stuff, or if you wanted it to be more integrated into campaign, as a bonus modifier to a campaign run (ie, spend 10,000cR to give YOURSELF mythic attributes. the stats page would reflect this, so people can still verify pure SLASOs).

They'd refresh the skull hunt weekly/biweekly/monthly. The skulls would then move/reappear elsewhere. You'd get a hint of where they are via the challenge interface, so they could put a really hard esoteric one out there or 10 easy ones. Someone finds a really hard place to get to? 343 could respond by placing a skull up there for a month and say 'do it again'. It'd be something nice for the campaign playerbase and encourage people to revisit the campaign as well. And if you could take a 'gamble' on spending currency on attributes, we could also have a good way to implement beneficial skulls without them just being thrown on all the time.

Looks like I guessed the flag placement wrong.. not sure if I like the idea of where it actually is. :/

Shadders

Just received an email about bees, at first I was like "EHRMAGAHD IT'S ILOVEBEES AGEN!!"

But after reading it through I think it's actually just some spam about a bee charity. Weird.

vIF6N.jpg

TheOddOne

Wanting the gameplay to stay the same seems far more damaging than just wanting characters to remain recognizeable.
You can have change in gameplay, but this must not come at the cost of what made it great in the first place. I understand it is really a difficult thing to balance, at one side you have preserve what makes it great but you also have to push it forward to prevent it from getting stale. If you know you are going to do something controversial, try to find a middle ground. Take for example CTF gameplay changes, they could have easily have the new and the classic form in the playlist, let people choose which form they want to play and nobody would even bat an eye lash on them trying new things with the mode. A perfectly reasonable compromise, I feel. They push forward their new idea and the option still stays to play it the classic way. You could even say it expands on the basis they have and *now* bring even more to the table. Now it feels they just scaled back.

Let’s be very frank, these changes are made to bring in more and new people to play the game. There is nothing wrong with that, but you also have to know these are often people that jump from game to game. I have friends like that, they stick around for a nanosecond. So, where does that leave people who play this long term and are often play it long term, they are forced to play with one setting as opposed to every Halo before having multiple settings. That just irritates me more than some graphical changes. People often say that the gameplay changes are done to make it 343’s own Halo. To some extent understandable, but there are some really questionable changes to the gameplay. However for 343 to own graphics style, I really do not see any problems with. I for one am glad they changed it up, they at least went balls out then to find some absurd compromise.

Wizman23

Banned
Has anything been mentioned if scoring and medals are in for campaign and Spartan Ops? Since Halo 3 launched, I have never once turned that option off and love it. I know the hit markers in Halo 4 will make it more clear wether or not your shots are landing, but nothing like tossing that perfect grenade into a crowd of Grunts and your screen lighting up with a long string of medals.

IHaveIce

Banned
Skulls aren't hidden ? There are better then some awesone easter eggs hidden in campaign.

No new Skulls? Not even the skulls from CEA ? what...?

And again like with the Prometheans the concept drafts and ideas looked way better than the final design of the Mantis.

Some ARG stuff. cool.

Trailer on a rerun of a show? lolwut.

What a Bulletin...

Omni

Looks like they took it down :(

It was a 1GB download anyway. Bit much for a simple vid, IMO.
CoD style killstreak rewards will stack quickly for good players in pubs, causing extra easy kills.

This is what I'm most excited about.

I mean, I can't wait to enter a game and to find myself up against an entire party of extremely skilled players who have access to even more power weapons than before, because of the lack of a skill based ranking system.

Because it was so much fun in Halo Reach, and it will be so much fun hiding in corners for 15 minutes in Halo 4 as well.

Seriously though. Has there been any word on parties and MM? I really don't want to be put through that again. Things just got ridiculous in Reach. (From last page, but I added a question).

Fuchsdh

Has anything been mentioned if scoring and medals are in for campaign and Spartan Ops? Since Halo 3 launched, I have never once turned that option off and love it. I know the hit markers in Halo 4 will make it more clear wether or not your shots are landing, but nothing like tossing that perfect grenade into a crowd of Grunts and your screen lighting up with a long string of medals.

I actually didnt think about that. I might turn campaign scoring off, mostly because if I know my shots are landing it's less important to me. The big draw was getting points so I knew I'd taken out a tough enemy.

JonCha

Watching this, CTF looks fun. The new flag-carrying looks fun. Perhaps I'm completely out of touch with the opinion of longtime Halo fans though -- I don't think the change will be that big a deal. I think some have overreacted, though an d appreciate that people want to continue using the old system.

Neverhtheless, I think slayers will now have a bigger role in CTF in Halo 4. The ability to kill AND carry the flag means you can do both roles.

Wow - Gundam Mark II "Super Gundam"

I personally would have loved this but the outcry from the "GRR HATE ANIME" crowd would have been intolerable.

I like Anime but I don't think Halo needs this. I was hesitant about the mini-mech but I'm willing to accept it.

Will Halo 4 have any colour calibration tools on the disc? I have the hardest time calibrating my TV specifically for Halo. Reach looked especially washed out and I just went back to 3 (which I calibrated for on a different TV) and it was all over the place. Other games look fine but the lighting in Halo games makes me pay extra attention to how I calibrate my TV for it.

Overdoziz

Banned
So AA pick-ups have waypoints above them?
At first I thought it was just the arrow that shows where the hologram goes but I don't think the guy playing is using the hologram AA.

q2xLC.png

heckfu

Banned
I've been thinking and wanted some input from you guys:

Do you think story-wise that Bungie gave the series a disservice by making Reach instead of continuing Master Chief's story?

Put personal bias aside of gameplay for a second. I just think that casuals may not care about MC's story as much since so much time has passed. Or do y'all think they care MORE because they've had to wait longer?

I've been thinking and wanted some input from you guys:

Do you think story-wise that Bungie gave the series a disservice by making Reach instead of continuing Master Chief's story?

Put personal bias aside of gameplay for a second. I just think that casuals may not care about MC's story as much since so much time has passed. Or do y'all think they care MORE because they've had to wait longer?

My main issue is how much Reach retcons Fall of Reach continuity. In hindsight it was inevitable given how long ago Fall of Reach was written and how it doesn't jive with what the history they wanted. But it still bothers me. You'd think as a comics nerd I'd be used to it.

So AA pick-ups have waypoints above them?
At first I thought it was just the arrow that shows where the hologram goes but I don't think the guy playing is using the hologram AA.

http://i.imgur.com/q2xLC.png[img][/QUOTE]

He is using the Hologram AA, and that is his waypoint, telling him where his Holo is going.

Now, where's my cheque?

heckfu

Banned
My main issue is how much Reach retcons Fall of Reach continuity. In hindsight it was inevitable given how long ago Fall of Reach was written and how it doesn't jive with what the history they wanted. But it still bothers me. You'd think as a comics nerd I'd be used to it.
My main issue is that I'm jazzed for the new game because I love halo. If I was a passer-by I wouldn't want to jump in the middle of a series REGARDLESS of the branding that it's a new story arc.

Top Bottom