• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

I didn't have Xbox Live until last August. Only reason I have it now is because I'm at college.

I considered myself important to the development of Halo games. I've played more offline Halo than many people have played online.

It's occurred to me how well Firefight filled the niche of replayable offline co-op fun and how Spartan Ops is missing the 'offline' part of that.

I never got the link to the Abandon gameplay :( You can trust me guys <3

Shaddup junior ;)

But seriously if that link goes down before I get off work there will be HELL to pay

FyreWulff

Aren't we talking about Halo 4 treating offline people as a negligible market by putting the terminals online?

I literally don't know a single person who doesn't have the internet. It's 2012.

More than half the copies sold of CoD and Halo never go online.

If you don't have campaign on your FPS, you're dead in the water at retail. See also: Shadowrun.

Terminals being offline or online doesn't really factor into that.

These people without internet (2012 lol) aren't likely to be xbox consumers so I don't see what's the deal.

The more features the better.

I'm having flashbacks from Anniversary's kinect features announcement.

Beckx

I'll just go ahead and say it: Anyone who doesn't have Live is completely irrelevant to the development of a title which has re-playability built around online features.

Also, this is 2012 do people really not own Live or have PSN in this day and age?

PENDING FRANKIE QUOTE

Seriously, for me the whole no Gold / no Internet thing is a bit silly on this issue (unlike SpartanOps, where you're seeing a feature (Firefight) replaced with a Gold-only feature if what Moa says is true). I think the only real problem with the terminals is that they are out of game at all.

I remember one trip through Skyrim, my character - a glass cannon mage/thief - was sneaking through a nasty dungeon. I was way low on resources, in very deep, and starting to think I might not be able to survive it. Deep at the bottom of the dungeon, just before the boss of the place, I found a bookshelf. On that shelf was a book I'd never seen before (or since) in Skyrim, filled with fantastic information about recent history the world. I sat there, in the dark, reading every word. It meant more, somehow, because it was accessed during that play, in a dangerous situation.

If it had just gone bleep-bloop and told me to check elderscrolls.com, I'd never have bothered, likely, and even if I did, I'd have been out of game by that point, so it would have lost some of the power of the moment. That's what I think we lose by having the terminals out of game.

Like I said on the other page, I get David's explanation and there's nothing to be done, but it's disappointing.

BLACKLAC

Alright FFA Abandon uploaded, PMs are going out. Leaving to work so up to you guys to distribute the file, just make sure they can be trusted. Lets try to keep it up for more than a couple hours this time.

Next videos will be Infinity Slayer on Vortex and FFA on Adrift. Bad news is I wont be able to upload them until I come home from work.

Can I get a PM!

Just voicing my opinion. Somethings I think are ok to criticize but the fact that some content is not available to offline users does not seem like something to complain about.

Sai-kun

Banned
I wonder if the same people playing Halo 4 at home without LIVE that don't have internet access, period, in their home, also don't have a public library they could go to :(

Shadders

More than half the copies sold of CoD and Halo never go online.

If you don't have campaign on your FPS, you're dead in the water at retail. See also: Shadowrun.

Terminals being offline or online doesn't really factor into that.
Ah OK, I think we're talking about different things then. I'm not talking about online play - there are more barriers to playing online than simply having an internet connection. I'm just saying that it's reasonable to assume your audience has an internet connection, not that they only want to play online multiplayer.

Enfinit

Just got one of those fancy-schmancy Halo 4 UNSC controllers. Man, they look and feel awesome. I had no idea they were transparent and the blue LEDs look sick.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What peeves me has nothing to do with people having internet or an XBL subscription, just the fact that two features that gave me reason to explore maps have now become meaningless.

Skulls unlocked from the start, Terminals only viewable from Waypoint.

Halo 2 started the skulls, Halo 3 started the terminals, ODST had the audiologs and even skulls in the Multiplayer maps... blah blah blah

I guess it's cool that 4 even has terminals, but eh. Having to go to Waypoint is going to be annoying, unless i can access them via XBL app straight from the disk.

These people without internet (2012 lol) aren't likely to be xbox consumers so I don't see what's the deal.

Then who the balls is buying all those damn pointless strategy guides?
i-8gpXQR4-X3.jpg

Alright FFA Abandon uploaded, PMs are going out. Leaving to work so up to you guys to distribute the file, just make sure they can be trusted. Lets try to keep it up for more than a couple hours this time.

Next videos will be Infinity Slayer on Vortex and FFA on Adrift. Bad news is I wont be able to upload them until I come home from work.

could someone pm me this

Beckx

What peeves me has nothing to do with people having internet or an XBL subscription, just the fact that two features that gave me reason to explore maps have now become meaningless.

Skulls unlocked from the start, Terminals only viewable from Waypoint.

Halo 2 started the skulls, Halo 3 started the terminals, ODST had the audiologs and even skulls in the Multiplayer maps... blah blah blah

I guess it's cool that 4 even has terminals, but eh. Having to go to Waypoint is going to be annoying, unless i can access them via XBL app straight from the disk.

Remember you'll have the Xbox internet browser by then, so you should be able to access either version of waypoint right from the xbox. I'm assuming that the xbox browser version will not require gold, either, but I suppose they could block that off.

I think it overstates the point to say map exploration is meaningless now. I explore because I like to explore, unlockables are nice benefits but not required. I think there will be a lot to look for, and hopefully fun ways to break out of the walls and peek at things. I still get a kick out of the Falcon breakout in Winter Contingency, and really hope sometime soon to break out of TotS and Exodus.

zlatko

Banned
If I was done with Borderlands 2 I'd go to gamestop or bestbuy and immediately trade it in with a few other games to get the new H4 controller and a copy of anniversary.

Remember you'll have the Xbox internet browser by then, so you should be able to access either version of waypoint right from the xbox. I'm assuming that the xbox browser version will not require gold, either, but I suppose they could block that off.

I think it overstates the point to say map exploration is meaningless now. I explore because I like to explore, unlockables are nice benefits but not required. I think there will be a lot to look for, and hopefully fun ways to break out of the walls and peek at things. I still get a kick out of the Falcon breakout in Winter Contingency, and really hope sometime soon to break out of TotS and Exodus.

IE on Xbox requires a Gold membership.

Edit: beaten

--

Also, not sure if this was discussed after Dax01's post #4, but the Binary Rifle also has a very visible laser when it is scoped in to balance it out. (similar, but more profound than the Spartan Laser's)

I didn't have Xbox Live until last August. Only reason I have it now is because I'm at college.

I considered myself important to the development of Halo games. I've played more offline Halo than many people have played online.

Knowing that part of the singleplayer is online only is sad, like Dragon Age 2 if you want to use all your special equipment you need to connect to EA servers.

Well I am still standing by my statement that features should not be cut simply because not everyone has access to them.

+1
Im with you, but most of the people dont care about the minority.

"Each iteration of our favorite Spartan super-soldier has been distinctive yet similar, but don’t confuse design with canon – the Chief is the Chief"
QUICK! Some one contact Kotaku and IGN, I have a headline for them.

"Halo 4's graphics aren't canon."

Sanjuro

If I was done with Borderlands 2 I'd go to gamestop or bestbuy and immediately trade it in with a few other games to get the new H4 controller and a copy of anniversary.

Best Buy has the 100% trade bump back if you're looking for a B&M outlet starting 10/21. The wireless controllers are supposed to be $39.99 as well, probably not the Halo 4 edition although. Still a good time to get the one with the transforming d-pad anyway.

Beckx

Really fucking stupid. Just fucking really really fucking stupid decision.

They probably felt forced to do this because otherwise the other things they lock behind gold (Netflix) would be available to Silver via the web app. (Pretty sure netflix's web page has a player, right?)

Top Bottom