• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Apath

You're talking about a company that released Halo 1: Anniversary, and ran out of space to include the Halo 1 gametype on the disc. Meaning you cannot play Halo 1 Slayer on Halo: Anniversary unless you have Gold so you can go online and download the gametype.
It's a cluster fuck how they handled the Anniversary multiplayer. Sometimes when I try and play Reach it launches the Anniversary MP -- it's really quite annoying. Don't know why it couldn't just be a DLC code that doesn't require the disk.

EDIT: I don't think you need Gold to download content from XBL. You do however need Gold to play the multiplayer..

feel

No, the DMR is single shot. When someone gets a headshot like that with the DMR, they timed their shot correctly. With the BR, he starts shooting well before the reticle is on the head and simply sweeps it across.
Considering it's harder to get the opponent's shields down with a BR because some bullets within a single burst can easily miss while he pings you with 4 body shots that are guaranteed to do full damage, I'd say it's fair to have the scales balanced the other way when it gets to the headshot phase. What do you want, the DMR easily dominating in every range and situation?? Tinier reticule and 3x zoom more than make up for the BR having a better chance of landing a headhsot at close to mid.

I don't see myself taking a side and sticking to it all the time, I'll use all rifles, I'm guaranteed to suck with all of them anyways.

J10

Banned
You're talking about a company that released Halo 1: Anniversary, and ran out of space to include the Halo 1 gametype on the disc. Meaning you cannot play Halo 1 Slayer on Halo: Anniversary unless you have Gold so you can go online and download the gametype.

DVD is on it's way out, MS relaxed disc count restrictions, welcome to the Blu Ray-based-disc generation.

Are you saying it's incompetent programming? I assumed there were industry standard compression algorithms and shit, or is that proprietary stuff?

BigShow36

Considering it's harder to get the opponent's shields down with a BR because some bullets within a single burst can easily miss while he pings you with 4 body shots that are guaranteed to do full damage, I'd say it's fair to have the scales balanced the other way when it gets to the headshot phase. What do you want, the DMR easily dominating in every range and situation?? Tinier reticule and 3x zoom more than make up for the BR having a better chance of landing a headhsot at close to mid.

Not really. The bullet magnetism drags any spread bullets in to the target, so if you're missing one or two rounds from each burst, chances are you would have missed completely with the DMR. And due to how the spread works, its not "harder" to get a shield down, it's just more random.

Weapons that are more difficult to use should be more rewarding; that's how weapon balance should generally work.

FyreWulff

It's a cluster fuck how they handled the Anniversary multiplayer. Sometimes when I try and play Reach it launches the Anniversary MP -- it's really quite annoying. Don't know why it couldn't just be a DLC code that doesn't require the disk.

EDIT: I don't think you need Gold to download content from XBL. You do however need Gold to play the multiplayer..

It tries to launch the Anniversary MP because Reach and the Anniversary MP part of the disc have the same title ID. When the Anni disc is in the drive, you can actually launch directly into the MP side of it.

Are you saying it's incompetent programming? I assumed there were industry standard compression algorithms and shit, or is that proprietary stuff?

It's not incompetent. It was a mistake made trying to stay under one disc when you should be at two disc. Halo 4 being two disc is fine, especially since you won't need disc 2 when you're done with it, technically you don't even need Disc 2 at all, you can download it's data directly from Live. It's important that it's there for the offline userbase, though.

Louis Wu

I think the Light Rifle has the highest skill ceiling of the rifle, and the potential to be the best. Tryhards will use the DMR, and BKs will use the BR. Dax will be the lone Carbine user.

And the assault rifle users...probably Elzar or some shit
::sob::

ViewtifulJC just called me a BK... :(

What? The player isn't "timing" the middle shot of the three round burst, they're just sweeping it and the magnetism and aim assist do the rest. The DMR requires that the player have the reticle over their enemies head at the exact same moment they pull the trigger. The BR allows a huge swath of aiming to essentially count as a headshot.

How does the DMR differ? If the DMR only fired a single shot at the same time as the BR's middle bullet, are you saying it wouldn't have hit?

Definitely agree. The BR demands accurate body shots and the need to land most of the 3-shot bursts in order to be as effective as the DMR. The tradeoff exists after shields are down.

J10

Banned
It's not incompetent. It was a mistake made trying to stay under one disc when you should be at two disc. Halo 4 being two disc is fine, especially since you won't need disc 2 when you're done with it, technically you don't even need Disc 2 at all, you can download it's data directly from Live. It's important that it's there for the offline userbase, though.

One more quick question. Is installation mandatory or can multiplayer run off of the second disc?

Moa

Would you have preferred we cut the feature?

Now that I re-think this, the feature shouldn't have been in-game at all, it should have been website based and you just release one terminal per week on Waypoint itself, it still doesn't solve the issue for those who don't have internet access, but it is better than having achievements in there for it and those without the internet can't even access the content.

One more quick question. Is installation mandatory or can multiplayer run off of the second disc?
Mandatory install, when you load up the second disc, it installs just like the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack disc.

FyreWulff

As far as we know it's like Disc 2 of Forza. You have to install it and play via disc 1. It makes the most sense logically and business wise...

feel

Not really. The bullet magnetism drags any spread bullets in to the target, so if you're missing one or two rounds from each burst, chances are you would have missed completely with the DMR. And due to how the spread works, its not "harder" to get a shield down, it's just more random.

Weapons that are more difficult to use should be more rewarding; that's how weapon balance should generally work.
A miss is a miss. I'm talking about the shots where you properly aim and pull the trigger on target, with the DMR you're guaranteed full damage, with a BR (and with Halo 4's speed of movement) you're not guaranteed to hit the second or third bullet if the person is moving a lot and the first bullet hits near an edge.

But to be honest I couldn't care less about arguing about this stuff, there's no winner in this type of discussion because it's all about preference and how people imagine their ideal Halo.

BigShow36

How does the DMR differ? If the DMR only fired a single shot at the same time as the BR's middle bullet, are you saying it wouldn't have hit?

The difference is that you would need to pull the trigger on the DMR at that exact moment. With the BR, one trigger pull covers a wide swath as opposed to a single area. Watch the clip; he pulls the trigger when his reticle is well away from the head and the burst begins. He then sweeps the reticle across the head area and gets a headshot.

Oozer3993

Love it. Was it ever available as a print?

If you buy the limited edition of Halo: The Great Journey: The Art of Building Worlds, you get a small signed print of it.

HQkv0.jpg

Outside of that, I don't know.

J10

Banned
Bummer. I'm out of space and currently have no external storage to transfer stuff. Multiplayer will have to wait for some time I guess. Thanks.

Now that I re-think this, the feature shouldn't have been in-game at all, it should have been website based and you just release one terminal per week on Waypoint itself, it still doesn't solve the issue for those who don't have internet access, but it is better than having achievements in there for it and those without the internet can't even access the content.

Mandatory install, when you load up the second disc, it installs just like the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack disc.

One terminal per week? Yeah no thanks. If you don't have Live, or access to internet in 2012 then too bad.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
No, the DMR is single shot. When someone gets a headshot like that with the DMR, they timed their shot correctly. With the BR, he starts shooting well before the reticle is on the head and simply sweeps it across.
lol. More like spammed with their reticle aimed in the general area of the head.

I get what you're saying, but still. I've had a lot of BS headshots with the DMR as i was falling behind cover and whatnot, just trying to get the last shot off.

Too bad, what a response.

Thanks for your fantastic input!

Well 343's options were either.
A. Cut the feature
B. Do it this their way

I am not defending their decision, and I am not going to defend people who do not have access to the internet or Xbox live IN 2012! Come on now... How about we start a debate regarding all those people who bought the game but no longer have access to Spartan Ops because they don't have Live or internet access. You start.

I will be with you.

Only for losers whose mom can't buy them Gold

Not alone.
MY PEOPLE

Team Light Rifle anyone?
It's funny. Going into Halo 4 I thought I was going to be using the LR most out of any of them, but I was having too much fun with the Carbine.
I don't really understand why you're on team carbine. You've said a few times that it needs a buff. Is it just aesthetics and nostalgia?
Why would me thinking it needs a buff preclude me from enjoying the weapon the most? Saying "it needs a slight buff" – emphasis on the word 'slight' – doesn't translate to "it's weak as hell and useless." The gun feels good to fire, you can pump the trigger as fast as you want and won't lose any accuracy (as far as I can tell, or it's minimal) and from mid to close range it seems you can hold your own against DMR/BR users. I had a lot of fun with it.

Moa

Well 343's options were either.
A. Cut the feature
B. Do it this their way

I am not defending their decision, and I am not going to defend people who do not have access to the internet or Xbox live IN 2012! Come on now... How about we start a debate regarding all those people who bought the game but no longer have access to Spartan Ops because they don't have Live or internet access. You start.

I'd prefer it if they'd cut the feature, some people don't have access to the internet, let alone Xbox LIVE, whether it be money issues or their location.

It sucks completely for them.

Top Bottom