• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

GhaleonEB

Cross posting my thoughts from the Gaming thread. I don't think it gelled the way Starry Night or the ODST ones (the two best CG/live action trailers, IMO). And the main culprit is that it's trying to do a bit too much.

The flashbacks cover a huge amount of territory, in sporadic fashion. Then we get a short and oddly cut off action scene. All wrapped by an odd framing.

Each part was pretty good. But they didn't fit together into a really compelling trailer, one that excites or engages. There's no sense of urgency, and the pacing is really flat.

Very well made, for the most part. I loved the way John's back story is realized, and in no way glorified. As a consumer of the extended fiction I geeked out big time at the flashbacks.

A version with just the action scene at the end, followed by the Chief held captive while our little friend marches up, would be tighter and have more impact, though of course lose the back story elements.

I feel like that was the completely WRONG approach to a launch trailer. That back story stuff is only going to hit die hard fans. Sure I enjoyed seeing that stuff, but a launch trailer should focus on your game, and events or moments in that game solely IMO, not past events woven into deep fiction that are better told uncondensed. Ugh, expected more. When is the Halo 2 type launch trailer going to be here?

Sanjuro

In the end, like it or hate it, cinematic masterpiece or not, we will be mashing down a cheap plastic trigger thousands of times in the following month.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cross posting my thoughts from the Gaming thread. I don't think it gelled the way Starry Night or the ODST ones (the two best CG/live action trailers, IMO). And the main culprit is that it's trying to do a bit too much.

The flashbacks cover a huge amount of territory, in sporadic fashion. Then we get a short and oddly cut off action scene. All wrapped by an odd framing.

Each part was pretty good. But they didn't fit together into a really compelling trailer, one that excites or engages. There's no sense of urgency, and the pacing is really flat.

Very well made, for the most part. I loved the way John's back story is realized, and in no way glorified.

A version with just the action scene at the end, followed by the Chief held captive while our little friend marches up, would be tighter and have more impact, though of course lose the back story elements.

Do you think that that is what we'll see more often now because you know, they can't just normally run 2 minute long commercials all the time lol

So anyone know where that either CG or live action gif comes from. i wanna see the video that has all the spartans getting their new armor. Looks like the Spartan VI armor

Flipyap

Is there anyone here who seriously hasn't figured out that Didact is the ancient evil yet? We have been prodded since the moment the game was announced, what with his symbol being in the e3 trailer, to the whole flying cryptum thing, to tonights video where they explicitly show him. Anyone not convinced yet?
Some people are simply hoping that there's more to this story.

[Silentium description spoilers]
There are 2 of them, who is to say 1 of them didn't go ape shit crazy

Also sorry for black bars in the OT!

The quote refers to
the Ur-Didact and the Librarian

I don't buy it; he's a feint.

PART OF HALO SILENTIUM SYNOPSIS
Facing the consequences of a mythic tragedy, one of them must now commit the greatest atrocity of all time—to prevent an insane evil from dominating the entire universe.

yeah I am kinda hoping that he is not it. It would be a pretty cool surprise if something far more menacing was the real threat, like precursors or something. This can't be it. but probably is :(

Sanjuro

Do you think that that is what we'll see more often now because you know, they can't just normally run 2 minute long commercials all the time lol

Yeah. I know someone mentioned "Why wasn't this on the NFL broadcast!". The plastered audience watching a football game is going to pay very, VERY little attention to a goofy two-minute Mario Bros. commercial.

TheOddOne

Basically my feelings too. Because I know most of what is going on, I geeked out just a little more. That they even went that route just facinates me, just wish it was more impactful as a standalone.

GhaleonEB

Yeah. I was thinking, what would they leave in a 30 second version? And that's about all that would fit and still be cohesive. And it would be pretty great.

Gray Man

Banned
Yeah. I was thinking, what would they leave in a 30 second version? And that's about all that would fit and still be cohesive. And it would be pretty great.

I thought the "We are ODST" was better, but this ones pretty decent. I think its interesting that they decided to give the general audience a little bit of a back story.

Chief and the Diadact starring each other down was fucking bad ass though.

LD2k

Neo Member
Chief and the Diadact starring each other down was fucking bad ass though.
Agree'd. We shouldn't have answers when we're facing the Prometheans. Hopefully this tension, mystery and confrontation will be fleshed out and realized in Halo 4. This was a pretty awesome trailer, and I think the game's trailer will "hype" it up more. This is more for explaining the back story of Chief and creating a WTF moment that will expand that "mystery" around Halo 4.

So in any real situation, I say a giant, 13 foot tall warrior servent shits on Chief. How could anyone possibly expect Chief to have good odds against the Didact, beside "Luck"? Better do it well 343...

Who said he'll be facing the Didact?
just saying

That looked pretty damn confrontational to me...

LD2k

Neo Member
So in any real situation, I say a giant, 13 foot tall warrior servent shits on Chief. How could Chief possibly expect to have good odds against the Didact, beside "Luck"? Better do it well 343...
Who said he'll be facing the Didact?

just saying

Wow that surgery was brutal. I was always under the impression they knocked them with some high powered anesthetics before cutting up their entire body. Wouldn't want someone to flinch as a saw goes in only to lose the arm.

They were knocked out. One or two of them came out of anesthesia in the middle of the procedure, but they were all initially sedated.

So in any real situation, I say a giant, 13 foot tall warrior servent shits on Chief. How could anyone possibly expect Chief to have good odds against the Didact, beside "Luck"? Better do it well 343...
cena_khali_336642a.jpg

Gray Man

Banned

That looked pretty damn confrontational to me...

We are talking about a man who blew up a Halo...

feel

Getting caught and imprisoned by the Didact better happen early in the campaign... sigh... I was so happy about finally getting a Halo where you have zero clue of what's going to happen as you play (unlike ODST and Reach) and then they go and pull this shit.

That being said, the ad is growing on me. It doesn't flow nicely in general but the individual scenes by themselves are fantastic.

edit- But dammit that's not enough, it should've been straight up amazing end to end in every way like the previous Halo ads. I'm sad. :(

We are talking about a man who blew up a Halo...

My main point is in the game he is given the tools to do these things, Rockets, Grenades plus a Halcyon's core melting down led to a Halo bowing up. In the double scarab fight you are given hornets, tanks, warthogs etc. If the ad confrontation has any real game context, Chief is kinda effed in a flat out 1v1 IMO.

blamite

My main point is in the game he is given the tools to do these things, Rockets, Grenades plus a Halcyon's core melting down led to a Halo bowing up. In the double scarab fight you are given hornets, tanks, warthogs etc. If the ad confrontation has any real game context, Chief is kinda effed in a flat out 1v1 IMO.

Good think he now has the Infinity on his side.

He rips off the Didact's arm and beats him to death with it LIKE A BAWS

Top Bottom