• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

As long as the action picks up. The production quality is great but where is the Chief and Covies? I'm hoping this episode marks the spiral into action for the rest of the series. Considering it's only 5 episodes and essentially 2 episodes have been without major action or the Chief. Time to get nasty I say!

Spoliers are their enemy mate. Those who know the Halo 4 story, cut scenes and leaks aren't going to be impressed by the trailer.

I'm happy to see the Chief and Spartans akin to the Eric Nylund novels, more of that story arc and settings please. Far better than Travvis or Bear, BAM.

I'm have not had the Halo 4 story spoiled and the trailer still did nothing for me.

It just felt sterile. There needs to be some dramatic build up in music, raise the decibel level up ten notches. Create some drama...

How about a parent screaming as their child is taken away?

The action was fairly route as well. Chief firing a shotgun as he's charging, how creative!

Yeah, you wouldn't know they were kidnapped at six or anything like that from this ad. Plus John on the beach looked cheesy as fuck. I really don't see how the screwed this up, the concept was top notch and the production values were there.

wwm0nkey

I still don't like it. Its lazy.

Not really, they are easier to indoctrinate as said and they trained their entire lives just to have a SLIM chance of surviving the surgery. Due to advances in bio-tech highly trained soldiers can now be admitted into the Spartan IV program and it made sense as to why children were required for the Spartan II program.

That E3 CGI announcement trailer was better than this thing

Hey, remember when we saw that boost on Chief's back but they said "don't worry, its not a jetpack" and everybody sighed in relief?

Lol us, huh?

Flipyap

The Knights looked comical before, but the way they made their little arms do a little rhythmic jig, as if they're going "Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, It's home from work we go"... well, it may have been a bit too much.
The skull trick is still the lamest freakin' thing.

Avoiding showing Master Chief's face is also starting to look really silly, real quick and it's only going to look weirder if they keep showing him as a kid.
I think the Fall of Reach comics did the same thing - little Chieffy getting plenty of "screen time", then he gets a helmet and ooooh, his face is a myyyyystery. Pointless.

Ken

I think the trailer works as a "hey there's a human behind the Master Chief." For everyone who has already read the novels, it comes off as boring and already known information. For everyone else, this might be the first step to get people to think of the Chief as someone more than the green space marine that shoots out one-liners, blows up the Halos, and doesn't afraid of anything, which seems to be 343's goal with the H4 campaign going by their BTS stuff.

because then its extremely hard to line up objects because 343 took the nudge tool out..

No it isn't... The coordinate system makes most object placement trivial since objects "snap" to coordinate points. Even if fine tuning is gone doesn't mean it's hard to line up objects. Fine tuning is typically for perfection or working off the coordinate grid... For example, using angles. For that map in the picture coordinate editing is sufficient.

It just felt sterile. There needs to be some dramatic build up in music, raise the decibel level up ten notches. Create some drama...

The action was fairly route as well. Chief firing a shotgun as he's charging, how creative!

Here's hoping the gameplay trailer fairs better. :(

The whole point of the child snatching was to replace the kids with flash clones who purposely have a terminal ailment so they die off with no questions asked etc. The parents are never aware their child has been taken. It's in the novels mate.

zap

That E3 CGI announcement trailer was better than this thing

Hey, remember when we saw that boost on Chief's back but they said "don't worry, its not a jetpack" and everybody sighed in relief?

Lol us, huh?

"Don't worry guys it's not a jetpack!"

We breathe sigh of relief thinking no more jetpack in the game...

343i puts jetpack in the game :(

blamite

The guy who turns to look at John as the numbers are called is Isaac, I think. The number on his arm is 03something, and the top of the third number doesn't look like a 7 so he's not Randall, and doesn't look like a 4 so he's not Sam. Vinh 030 is female, so if he's a known Spartan, he's Isaac.

Question. I thought was in this someone posted a Gif the other day of a bunch of Spartans getting their armor or w.e where was that from? it looked amazing.

senador

Banned
I think the trailer works as a "hey there's a human behind the Master Chief." For everyone who has already read the novels, it comes off as boring and already known information. For everyone else, this might be the first step to get people to think of the Chief as someone more than the green space marine that shoots out one-liners, blows up the Halos, and doesn't afraid of anything, which seems to be 343's goal with the H4 campaign going by their BTS stuff.

They have specifically stated that is their goal. Good points. It is likely this.

The reveal of that fucker in campaign better be epic as shit.

Yes. I hate being "spoiled" by official PR. Now I am leaving again because some junior fucker who has scene it will answer in a way that gives the answer.

Compare the Fincher trailer to We Are ODST. Both are thematically similar in going through the history of a soldier. In fact, that seems to be a common theme in Halo live-action trailers if we bring Birth of a Spartan into the equation.

The main issue for me is that the Fincher trailer didn't drive home the emotional toll that abduction, augmentation and training had on Spartans like the training did for ODSTs in We Are ODST. We didn't see any reaction from John being abducted. We didn't see John's reaction to the tragedy of augmentation.

In a nutshell, the trailer alone told me that a boy was abducted, medically enhanced and is now a badass soldier. 343 has been trying to give John a more human story, and Fincher's trailer turned Chief back into a faceless, emotionless soldier.

Oozer3993

You should dive into the story more. Halsey used kids because they were easier to indoctrinate I believe.

That was just a side bonus. The real reason children were chosen was so she could give them genetic modifications during adolescence.

That would have been in direct violation of canon. Spartan II candidates were covertly kidnapped and replaced in their families by short living flash clones so as not to raise suspicions.

Is there anyone here who seriously hasn't figured out that Didact is the ancient evil yet? We have been prodded since the moment the game was announced, what with his symbol being in the e3 trailer, to the whole flying cryptum thing, to tonights video where they explicitly show him. Anyone not convinced yet?

Not only did the trailer lack emotion impact, or any hype building, the action was rather boring also. They should have had him assassinate on of the Knights.. Also, I really would have liked to see the dissolve effect. And I would have liked to hear better music. Or hear the 'ancient evil' speak.

I just wish this trailer did something for me. At least it looked visually decent.

malfcn

I knew who the ancient evil was going to be. But I do not know anything about the character. And I pronounced his title wrong in my head until a recent terminal viewing.

They tried to go for the back story, but this condensed, clipped, cold storytelling didn't have any kind of emotional weight behind it.

I think most people are gonna look at this trailer and think, "uh OK that was kinda odd"

Is there anyone here who seriously hasn't figured out that Didact is the ancient evil yet? We have been prodded since the moment the game was announced, what with his symbol being in the e3 trailer, to the whole flying cryptum thing, to tonights video where they explicitly show him. Anyone not convinced yet?
I don't buy it; he's a feint.

PART OF HALO SILENTIUM SYNOPSIS
Facing the consequences of a mythic tragedy, one of them must now commit the greatest atrocity of all time—to prevent an insane evil from dominating the entire universe.

Vire

That was just a side bonus. The real reason children were chosen was so she could give them genetic modifications during adolescence.

That would have been in direct violation of canon. Spartan II candidates were covertly kidnapped and replaced in their families by short living flash clones so as not to raise suspicions.

Then have the child scream as they are being dragged? It's not hard to convey emotion.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
REAL SPOILERS! Discussing the campaign prologue + name of the 'ancient evil' :
The prologue gave us a similar glimpse at the background of the Spartan program, but did it better in almost every way. The only thing the trailer really did better was show off the Promethean Knights and the Didact -- both of which were awesome, admittedly. As a whole, though, the prologue is leagues better. Microsoft should've just saved themselves some money and made the prologue a TV ad.

Hmm, interesting. I've been wondering if that may be the case. It feels like they're making it too obvious.

This I like. I like you, Kittens.
<3 May you never be banned.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Not only did the trailer lack emotion impact, or any hype building, the action was rather boring also. They should have had him assassinate on of the Knights.. Also, I really would have liked to see the dissolve effect. And I would have liked to hear better music. Or hear the 'ancient evil' speak.

I just wish this trailer did something for me. At least it looked visually decent.

There was a dissolve effect. Chief steps right on the guy dissolving.

When I watch it again, the music was definitely the most lacking part of the entire trailer for me.

wwm0nkey

PART OF HALO SILENTIUM SYNOPSIS
Facing the consequences of a mythic tragedy, one of them must now commit the greatest atrocity of all time&#8212;to prevent an insane evil from dominating the entire universe.

There are 2 of them, who is to say 1 of them didn't go ape shit crazy

Also sorry for black bars in the OT!

Top Bottom