• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

u4iX

I live in England, we don't have 'lunch tables' or 'jocks' and seeing as my sixth form does a football/soccer academy thing, half the people in my sixth form are wimps who couldn't stand up to a year 7, would hardly call them jocks.

tumblr_m2kveeNfmU1rqzsoeo1_500.gif

Overdoziz

Banned
Let's get this back on track.

The trailer was okay. Needed better music.
FUD keeps getting better. It definitely exceeds my expectations.
I'm really looking forward to the story of Halo 4's campaign. Can't wait to see what they do with Cortana. If they actually go into detail about what Mendicant Bias has done during the previous trilogy my inner lore nerd will be very pleased. (Depending on the execution, of course) There's so much potential, I hope they deliver. Those FUD intros hype me up for the campaign more than anything has done for multiplayer.

Flipyap

I thought, above all, the trailer showed 343's dedication to fiction. Something Bungie had, but not a deep dedication to in marketing, etc.

Making their first launch trailer one that showed fiction over a "fuck yeah" action-filled sequence (although it had some of that) shows me that the game will have a level of fiction we did not see in Bungie games necessarily.

It really showed they feel great enough about the game to make a trailer about fiction, and not something to try to make non-Halo fans (necessarily) buy the game.
What do you mean by that?

JonCha

In the third episode, where the recruits are
looking at hacked-into footage, aren't there two Spartans? The camera shows an armored hand grabbing someone and putting them against a wall, and then the viewpoint turns to the right and sees (presumably) Chief.

Arnie

Crosspost, yo, kind of repeating myself too.

It's the music (or lack thereof) that really spoils the trailer.

And it's too similar to Birth of a Spartan.

I did love the Didact tease though, and the visualisation of the concept art. I also liked how morally dubious the Spartan 2 programme was framed against the Spartan 3 one.

Overall it's a general sense of disappointment, though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I'm really looking forward to the story of Halo 4's campaign. Can't wait to see what they do with Cortana. If they actually go into detail about what Mendicant Bias has done during the previous trilogy my inner lore nerd will be very pleased. (Depending on the execution, of course) There's so much potential, I hope they deliver. Those FUD intros hype me up for the campaign more than anything has done for multiplayer.

Speaking of the intro, was (FUD SPOILER)
Cortana trying to kill Cheif while he was in Cryo?

looking at hacked-into footage, aren't there two Spartans? The camera shows an armored hand grabbing someone and putting them against a wall, and then the viewpoint turns to the right and sees (presumably) Chief.

Spoiler in relation to what we see in FUD 3 and in previews last week.
That was
chief in the POV and he looked at Fred.

willow ve

Did you watch the trailer someone posted on Youtubedoubler a few pages back? Song fits very nice.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=g...2=GO376G4tbGM&start2=0&authorName=Bornstellar

Yes there's two.

TheOddOne

WTF Is This: (Strip) Halo 4 in Hart of Dixie
Product placement has become a necessary evil for movies and television shows. Video games often times get some of the more awkward product placements because the people involved are usually portrayed as immature cookie cutter characters and the games aren’t quite represented accurately. Hart of Dixie not only product placed Halo 4, but the show introduced a new version of Halo to the masses - strip Halo.

tumblr_mc0ngzEcHt1qdifolo1_1280-600x314.png

Near the end of the show, Wade gives Zoe a big spiel about playing video games and being happy with life as it is. Soon after, she shows up at his house with her tail tucked between her legs admitting he’s right about how to live enjoying life…carrying Halo 4.

It was perhaps one of the most awkward product placements I’ve ever witnessed. Not only did Zoe hold the game up high so you could be sure to get a good view, her and Wade not only went on to discuss how playing Halo was great but then the topic turned to strip Halo. I’m at this point sitting up on the edge of my couch trying to piece everything together. When Wade held the game case and waved it around on camera, there was no back cover art. It was blank. Besides the awkward name dropping all that could be seen was the cover to Halo 4.

“The game’s not out yet! What the hell?” said a distraught Brandon.

“So?” said the wife.

Blank stare.
Bahhahahah.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't think we know its Chief's VP; but its a good assumption.

Cortana into was wild though, what the heck were those orange beams or whatever?

I was thinking that may have been what he meant, but wasn't sure.

Oh right. How do we know regarding the non-viewpoint?

Fred and Chief are bros, and a bro never leaves another bro behind.

Plus this whole thing is Chief/Laskey centric anyway.

Overdoziz

Banned
Cortana into was wild though, what the heck were those orange beams or whatever?
(FUD spoiler/some campaign speculation)
Either half of her trying to stop her other half or Mendicant Bias trying to stop her. She's definitely becoming schizofrenic as also shown when she freaks out not wanting the captain of the Infinity leaving the planet.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Whoa. I really didn't like yesterday's launch trailer, but FUD is blowing me away. I was pleased with the first episode, and it keeps getting better and better.

Hope this kind of story-driven promotion works out well for 343i, because I'd love to see more of it in the future.

FuD was superb, still exceeding my expectations. Realllly excited for next week.

Watching the ad again, I definitely like it. But I don't think it's going to appeal to a "new audience," which is what I thought was a huge point of all the new additions in multiplayer.

I hope this isn't the TV spot they will be using, and it just stays on youtube. I think people who don't really pay attention to the franchise will just be confused. I hope the gameplay trailer is similar to the H2 one, and that's the one they use for TV spots.

daedalius

(FUD spoiler/some campaign speculation)
Either half of her trying to stop her other half or Mendicant Bias trying to stop her. She's definitely becoming schizofrenic as also shown when she freaks out not wanting the captain of the Infinity leaving the planet.

The final line of the intro was chilling.

Man, can't wait to play the campaign!

Me again? Do I know you?

YourExWife said:
Insert deal with it screen shot?

Was nice having you on our BTB team out of all the possible random people. Feels good taking shits on the other team sometimes, huh?

For everyone that wasn't there, mastrbiggy and I randomly ran into another GAFfer on our team in BTB. feelsgoodbro.jpg

See above. Unless it was just some random person with the exact gamertag as your username, in which case, awkward...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What do you mean by that?

Might just be my personal opinion but I felt Bungie always just barely scratched the surface of the Halo fiction in their games. The books had so much depth that never saw the light of day in the games. Yeah, they have a bit different medium to work with, but I never felt Bungie gave the back fiction its due in the games.

I know friends of mine who like Halo, but never got into the books or anything always tell me they enjoy the Halo stories, but they feel shallow. They hear me talking about the books and always ask "why isn't that stuff in the games?"

One of the main things I was discussing with a good friend was the existence of other Spartans, and you never even get a hint about that in the games. Nor did you ever get any of Chief's back-story.

It's a good and bad I guess. On the good side the games have a singular focus -- Chief's (and Earth's) war with the Covenant. On the bad side, you only get the story of the few Characters in the games, nothing about the greater universe.

Halo 4 looks to delve into more of the back-fiction, which is why I liked the trailer and am super excited for the campaign.

bGanci

Banned
See above. Unless it was just some random person with the exact gamertag as your username, in which case, awkward...
O I'm sorry man. I didn't see that response ! I didn't realize I got matched up with you!
We should run more games sometime!

Edit: Just found the game. Dang did you guys go off that game!

willow ve

O I'm sorry man. I didn't see that response ! I didn't realize I got matched up with you!
We should run more games sometime!

It is funny how many times HaloGAF people randomly bump into each other on Reach matchmaking. Maybe it's the low population, or the fact that we're just familiar with gamertags, but it seems to happen quite a bit.

Flipyap

Might just be my personal opinion but I felt Bungie always just barely scratched the surface of the Halo fiction in their games. The books had so much depth that never saw the light of day in the games. Yeah, they have a bit different medium to work with, but I never felt Bungie gave the back fiction its due in the games.

I know friends of mine who like Halo, but never got into the books or anything always tell me they enjoy the Halo stories, but they feel shallow. They hear me talking about the books and always ask "why isn't that stuff in the games?"

One of the main things I was discussing with a good friend was the existence of other Spartans, and you never even get a hint about that in the games. Nor did you ever get any of Chief's back-story.

It's a good and bad I guess. On the good side the games have a singular focus -- Chief's (and Earth's) war with the Covenant. On the bad side, you only get the story of the few Characters in the games, nothing about the greater universe.

Halo 4 looks to delve into more of the back-fiction, which is why I liked the trailer and am super excited for the campaign.
Didn't 343 explicitly say that their goal was to simplify the story in 4 to make it easier to understand, leaving the meaty "canon"/backstory portions for the terminals? Which, considering recent revelations, would mean that this kind of storytelling won't make it into the game itself...

JHall

FUD question. It's not spoilerish if you have watched it.

How do they not know that's the Covenant? I understand it's been 10 years or so since the war, but wouldn't they have been told war stories as a child? Shit, they did fucking attack Earth. Or is the UNSC keeping things completely under-wraps?

Moa

Didn't 343 explicitly say that their goal was to simplify the story in 4 to make it easier to understand, leaving the meaty "canon"/backstory portions for the terminals? Which, considering recent revelations, would mean that this kind of storytelling won't make it into the game itself...

I thought it was they are making the story itself easy to understand to new players (
which the Prolouge will do great.
), while players who have knowledge on canon will know a great deal more, such as the environments, the monologue in the game and the terminals as well.

Sucks that the terminals are out of the game, but I still expect the juicy story bits.

Moa

FUD question. It's not spoilerish if you have watched it.

How do they not know that's the Covenant? I understand it's been 10 years or so since the war, but wouldn't they have been told war stories as a child? Shit, they did fucking attack Earth. Or is the UNSC keeping things completely under-wraps?

Forward unto Dawn is set before the war in 2552/2553, the series itself it set in 2525, and this is on a completely different planet.

Top Bottom