• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

jeJ3Bw6tK7HjP.jpeg

This was my favorite part of the whole commercial. I thought it was pretty cool to see some of stuff I've read (which is very little) visualized. I've stopped thinking that anything will ever be able to top the We Are ODST commercial, so this was just a great little piece of fan service. All you guys who are bitching about it were expecting something you shouldn't have.

Perhaps you should re-read this whiny garbage and see how ridiculous you sound. Part of your argument of why you think it's terrible involves a random barfly's comprehension of the commercial, for fuck's sake.

This is actually why I loved the commercial. Since I recently read Fall of Reach it was awesome seeing those scenes from the S2 program. I'm not sure it makes for a great wide audience trailer, but it's awesome for fans of the fiction.

First off, I can't believe Silentium got delayed. I want to finish the trilogy already!

It's John. If you look in the previews during the credits, "117" can be seen on the Spartan's chest plate.

I know its gonna be
John, but in the same episode they showed Fred in the hacked ONI footage. so my thought was that maybe they would bring more than one spartan to the party so to speak

Flipyap

Isn't Cortana based off of Halsey? So... wouldn't that mean that Cortana is also the 'mother' figure? But you're right, no metaphor or anything to take from those seemingly random collection of images.
Not really. She started as a copy of Halsey, but quickly became her own person. Their interactions are nothing like the way the Chief or any of the Spartan IIs interact with Halsey (or anyone, really).
We don't even know if that's supposed to be the mother, it could actually be Halsey, in which case that hardly even counts as a metaphor.

Not really. She started as a copy of Halsey, but quickly became her own person. Their interactions are nothing like the way the Chief or any of the Spartan IIs interact with Halsey (or anyone, really).
We don't even know if that's supposed to be the mother, it could actually be Halsey, in which case that hardly even counts as a metaphor.
Personally I thought that the person was Halsey because of the following sequences with Cortana.

Akai__

Spoiler for next weeks FUD
hello I am masterchief lolololololol

I would laugh my ass off, if he would say that
or "time to dongblain"

---

I will never get that Halo Wars "General" achievement... My boosting partner isn't motivated, I'm not motivated, end of story... :(

Edit: YourExWise, you are a genius. :lol

Louis Wu

They explain why in the article. read it.
Um... I read it.

It said there's a delay. It did not explain why.

(Unless you're counting "The book was originally planned for release in January 2013, but has since slipped its date to March 2013" as an explanation. In which case my opinion of your reasoning skills has just decreased.)

It didn't blow my mind that I got it. It blew my mind as to how simple/clever they made it for non-Halo fans or people unfamiliar with the lore to 'get it' in a subtle way. Heck, maybe it's obvious to everyone. That just means it's effective and that's essentially what I enjoyed about it.
Its so simple its trite, but maybe this commercial is going for the lowest common denominator, so in that case mission accomplished. Not one of my favorites by a long shot.

Bring on some actual gameplay, please

Um... I read it.

It said there's a delay. It did not explain why.

(Unless you're counting "The book was originally planned for release in January 2013, but has since slipped its date to March 2013" as an explanation. In which case my opinion of your reasoning skills has just decreased.)

its because they want the physical copy to release at the same time as the Digital and audiobook copies.

Louis Wu

I had a fun moment last night, playing with biggy and his friend.

Before you watch it, and yell at me for using an Assault Rifle - I'd run over to pick up Rockets from a big pile of weapons. I got the Assault Rifle instead. Before I could try again, someone ran down the ramp, and I had to leave.)

This guy tries really hard to ninja me... ends up getting hisself assassinated. Oops! Never try to ninja someone backing AWAY from you - you wanna do this to people running TOWARDS you. :)

http://files2.bungie.org/dv/failed_assassination/

its because they want the physical copy to release at the same time as the Digital and audiobook copies.
...which were originally scheduled for January, same as the book.

Its so simple its trite, but maybe this commercial is going for the lowest common denominator, so in that case mission accomplished. Not one of my favorites by a long shot.

Bring on some actual gameplay, please
EVERY commercial does this, as they're designed to. The fact that we have gems like We Are ODST and Starry Night are exceptions to the rule.

This is actually why I loved the commercial. Since I recently read Fall of Reach it was awesome seeing those scenes from the S2 program. I'm not sure it makes for a great wide audience trailer, but it's awesome for fans of the fiction.
Fall of Reach is the only novel that I've read, so it was all cool for me.

u4iX

Well that trailer was a fucking disaster.

I mean, jesus christ how many times have we seen these hench, bald teenagers go through the augmentation process? "Oh, b-but it shows they're human on the inside, and they've all been through terrible thi-" NOBODY CARES FOR FUCK SAKE.

And seriously? Stretching the entirety of the Master Chief's life over the course of two minutes? It was stretched wayyyyyyyyy too thin, the overall trailer was scatty and absolutely lacked focus and a clear message. I'd even go as far ahead to say that your average Gary down the pub would find it quite confusing.

I mean, it's perplexing how they can come out with this after a launch trailer which perfectly captures the greatness of the previous Halo trailers. Serenity, followed by mystery, followed by SHOCK OMG ACTION, followed by a cliffhanger. That formula is perfect, and it has worked for the series so well. This trailer was just bloated, and what Starry Night achieved in 45 seconds this trailer couldn't achieve with two.

Dark day for the series.

I'm in 100% disagreement.

The trailer sheds light on a subject that's been somewhat untouched through the main narrative of the Halo series. The main narrative meaning the straightforward story provided by the game's missions, cut scenes, and dialog.

It brings up the subject of humanity, what John actually is. Throughout the previous games you're touted as a an ultra-badass; the perfect soldier. Arriving at the front lines you're greeted with dialog praising your arrival, but while you may be the "perfect soldier," you're an imperfect human.

I love the dark themes being twisted into the Halo story now. The fact you're a kid who's actually a science experiment originally bred to kill his own race is fucked up.

Who in their right mind would be okay with that?

Who could live with that?

Now, look at the way Chief is being suspended in that blue field, the way he's held prisoner there. It's kinda Christ-like isn't it? Now draw the parallels. Regardless of your religious affiliation, the story of Jesus is equally torn. You grow up knowing you're the savior of mankind... but you're also just a kid; a human being, with feeling, with emotion, and with a moral gray area that we all can identify with.

You're the Atlas of the world. The fate of your entire race, a race you might despise because of what they made you, rests on your shoulders. Would you just be cool with that?

Now let's look at the tagline of the trailer, "An Ancient Evil Awakens."

At first inspection it looks to clearly refer to the Didact, or whatever your main adversary in the upcoming Halo title turns out to be, but I urge you to dig deeper.

What if the "ancient evil" is actually what's inside John, an evil within himself that he's suppressed. A distaste for humanity, for his own humanity, for what they made him and what they made him do.

If you're at all familiar with Freudian psychology then you'll be akin to the ideas of the id, ego, and superego. Imagine Cortana is the Chief's superego, the dialog that works between the id and the ego. As Cortana deteriorates and goes rampant, the Chief's consciousness, his ego, will be directly exposed to his id, or our instincts that don't care about reality or the needs of others, only its own satisfaction.

Maybe he's not the "strong, silent type." Maybe he's the type that's biting his tongue from telling his superiors to fuck off because he never asked for this.

If you're just staring at your computer screen letting the images flood your brain while you sit there flat lined, yeah, this trailer seems hokey. However, use that brain thing inside your skull and it becomes this dark undertone that's been present in the Halo universe, but never indulged in the games.

That's why I'm excited for Halo 4's campaign.

daedalius

Holy shit FUD ep.3

Only 2 more episodes? we definitely need more than that!

God you are a fucking child. I'm all for jokes but I'm not sure beating up a woman the way he did is what critics would consider "hilarious."

Dangit Heckfu, I have him ignored for a reason :p

Talents is just some dumbass kid, don't worry about him. I bet he thought that really obvious Christ pose Chief does in the commercial was really deep and interesting

Talents

Banned
God you are a fucking child. I'm all for jokes but I'm not sure beating up a woman the way he did is what critics would consider "hilarious."

Jesus, if you think that's bad, I'm glad I don't tell jokes on here like I do in real life.

Talents is just some dumbass kid, don't worry about him. I bet he thought that really obvious Christ pose Chief does in the commercial was really deep and interesting

Wow, American's are really sensitive...

Karl2177

I wasn't a fan of the Fincher ad, and I'm fairly certain the reason why is because of the music or lack thereof. I also haven't liked Forward unto Dawn so far(waiting until I get home to watch 3).

I'm actually surprised at my low hype levels.

neoism

So master chief is indeed a white male is what I learned. A part of me was hoping he'd be black. :(

IF you have not read Fall of Reach do it.

Is anyone else not watching shit and going dark in a way....with all these streams and shit seems like you'd get tried of the game before release. I'm even saving the rest of FUD til about 4 or 5 days til launch

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Jesus, if you think that's bad, I'm glad I don't tell jokes on here like I do in real life.

Wow, American's are really sensitive...

Annnnnnd ignored.

You really are one of the worst additions to this thread. You're pretty much worse than Zoojoo at this point.

u4iX

It's always helpful to practice your routine in the mirror at home. Don't worry, once you work up the courage to sit at the jock's lunch table at school, I'm sure they'll love your jokes.

Beckx

Trailer was a neat bit of Halo fiction.

Spoiler marked for people who haven't seen it yet:
Personally, I don't like stories with the hero held helpless by the big bad guy anymore. Believe was neat because it turned that trope on its head a bit, made the whole thing seem a ruse by the simple addition of priming the plasma grenade - in Believe, Chief will save himself and won't be saved by luck, a dumb bad guy, or a supporting character. Couldn't help thinking "well, it's your own fault if you lose now, Didact." Also, the one thing I thought held it back from being a great trailer (as opposed to being a good film clip, like you'd see in a terminal) was the music. Not that every trailer has to have Two Steps from Hell but here the music was off. Unlike We Are ODST, Believe, and Deliver Hope, I don't even remember any music from this.
Edit: It occurs to me that a great trailer has a lot in common with a great music video, or a great opening sequence.

Talents

Banned
It's always helpful to practice your routine in the mirror at home. Don't worry, once you work up the courage to sit at the jock's lunch table at school, I'm sure they'll love your jokes.

I live in England, we don't have 'lunch tables' or 'jocks' and seeing as my sixth form does a football/soccer academy thing, half the people in my sixth form are wimps who couldn't stand up to a year 7, would hardly call them jocks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I thought, above all, the trailer showed 343's dedication to fiction. Something Bungie had, but not a deep dedication to in marketing, etc.

Making their first launch trailer one that showed fiction over a "fuck yeah" action-filled sequence (although it had some of that) shows me that the game will have a level of fiction we did not see in Bungie games necessarily.

It really showed they feel great enough about the game to make a trailer about fiction, and not something to try to make non-Halo fans (necessarily) buy the game.

Top Bottom