• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

TCKaos

Guys, guys I just lost enough weight to wear my Halo 2 hoodie. I haven't been able to wear that since middle school.

I'm a sophomore in college now, for reference.

ElRenoRaven

Trailer was not good. This FUD was damn good though. FUD started off insanely slow and boring but now it does seem to be picking up finally with this episode.

Probably already touched upon, but I found it absolutely fantastic that early yesterday we were talking about that classic piece of Halo art with a crew surrounding and working on the chief's suit, and later on the day we got to see it realized in beautiful live action.
Agreed, gave me a huge grin.

Guys, guys I just lost enough weight to wear my Halo 2 hoodie. I haven't been able to wear that since middle school.

Ah, well done!

Pop

Congrats to you.

Now you should go buy all the game fuel and Doritos to celebrate. Not to mention all the cool double xp for Halo 4 as well.

jeJ3Bw6tK7HjP.jpeg

This was my favorite part of the whole commercial. I thought it was pretty cool to see some of stuff I've read (which is very little) visualized. I've stopped thinking that anything will ever be able to top the We Are ODST commercial, so this was just a great little piece of fan service. All you guys who are bitching about it were expecting something you shouldn't have.

Well that trailer was a fucking disaster.

I mean, jesus christ how many times have we seen these hench, bald teenagers go through the augmentation process? "Oh, b-but it shows they're human on the inside, and they've all been through terrible thi-" NOBODY CARES FOR FUCK SAKE.

And seriously? Stretching the entirety of the Master Chief's life over the course of two minutes? It was stretched wayyyyyyyyy too thin, the overall trailer was scatty and absolutely lacked focus and a clear message. I'd even go as far ahead to say that your average Gary down the pub would find it quite confusing.

I mean, it's perplexing how they can come out with this after a launch trailer which perfectly captures the greatness of the previous Halo trailers. Serenity, followed by mystery, followed by SHOCK OMG ACTION, followed by a cliffhanger. That formula is perfect, and it has worked for the series so well. This trailer was just bloated, and what Starry Night achieved in 45 seconds this trailer couldn't achieve with two.

Dark day for the series.
Perhaps you should re-read this whiny garbage and see how ridiculous you sound. Part of your argument of why you think it's terrible involves a random barfly's comprehension of the commercial, for fuck's sake.

Just gonna post what I posted in the Launch Trailer thread:

And man, did it spark a want for a Halo movie yet again.

I definitely agree with this. The ad is so much more visceral than other ads. I think the most exciting thing is that this isn't a 3rd person narrative. You are seeing what the Didact is seeing. Everything about the Chief you have learned from that is something the Didact is learning.

His mother calling him transitioning to Cortana? Fucking genius. Admittedly, I thought the lighting on that beach shot was weird but it didn't bother me too much.

The whole ad was amazing. The Spartan Aumentation process was gritty. That shot of the hands was especially awesome. The action scene on the cliff face was really cool. Seeing the large Forerunner structures in the distance. Someone asked about seeing the disintegration. Doesn't Chief shoot one of them with the scattershot and you just see a big ball of flames? Either way, you're seeing how the Chief met his demise. You're seeing why the Didact was even able to scan him. So much fiction here.

Really enjoyed the entire thing. Didn't really have any gripes by the end of it. I have to rewatch it a bit more for the audio. Can't say I recall any of it.

Probably already touched upon, but I found it absolutely fantastic that early yesterday we were talking about that classic piece of Halo art with a crew surrounding and working on the chief's suit, and later on the day we got to see it realized in beautiful live action.

Will watch FUD ep3 later, not at home. :(

This was just so cool. Really fascinating to see.

I definitely agree with this. The ad is so much more visceral than other ads. I think the most exciting thing is that this isn't a 3rd person narrative. You are seeing what the Didact is seeing. Everything about the Chief you have learned from that is something the Didact is learning.

His mother calling him transitioning to Cortana? Fucking genius. Admittedly, I thought the lighting on that beach shot was weird but it didn't bother me too much.

The whole ad was amazing. The Spartan Aumentation process was gritty. That shot of the hands was especially awesome. The action scene on the cliff face was really cool. Seeing the large Forerunner structures in the distance. Someone asked about seeing the disintegration. Doesn't Chief shoot one of them with the scattershot and you just see a big ball of flames? Either way, you're seeing how the Chief met his demise. You're seeing why the Didact was even able to scan him. So much fiction here.

Really enjoyed the entire thing. Didn't really have any gripes by the end of it. I have to rewatch it a bit more for the audio. Can't say I recall any of it.

This was just so cool. Really fascinating to see.

I agree with all of that. but if the capture gets played out In-game. well i'll be disappointed. and Im starting to drift away from team salty.

Flipyap

His mother calling him transitioning to Cortana? Fucking genius.
Please, explain what makes that fucking genius.

Either way, you're seeing how the Chief met his demise. You're seeing why the Didact was even able to scan him. So much fiction here.
That's not "fiction", that's you making up your own narrative based on things which aren't there, don't matter and don't "actually" happen.

It has the wilhelm scream

That should be enough for anyone
Oh, you son of a bitch. I haven't noticed it the first time around and I liked it better that way. Gross.
I bet someone felt reaaaaaaal witty when they inserted it there.

Please, explain what makes that fucking genius.

That's not "fiction", that's you making up your own narrative based on things which aren't there, don't matter and don't "actually" happen.

1. Because it's a really effective way to let people (not just hardcore fans) that there exists a mother-son relationship between Chief and Cortana. Th contrast between the first call and the second. The first is on a serene beach on a lovely evening. There isn't any real urgency. The second is pretty much the opposite scenario. What connects them is how the Chief ultimately needs them or, perhaps, how Cortana has learned to interact with the Chief most effectively.

2. How am I making up my own narrative? The whole ad is about Scanning. How am I extrapolating when it very clearly shows the Didact scanning the Chief and seeing all those memories/experiences? I don't get what you mean when you say these things don't matter or haven't actually happened. This isn't like the toy ad where that scene never actually happens.

Sai-kun

Banned
2. How am I making up my own narrative? The whole ad is about Scanning. How am I extrapolating when it very clearly shows the Didact scanning the Chief and seeing all those memories/experiences? I don't get what you mean when you say these things don't matter or haven't actually happened. This isn't like the toy ad where that scene never actually happens.

What do you mean "how the chief met his demise", then?

Wow FUD just keeps getting better. I'm loving the series so far, it has exceeded my expectations already. Next week looks to be fantastic.

FUD spoiler
Them bodies falling from the sky O_O... Had my skin crawling haha

FUD Spoiler
As soon as I saw the Covie ships... my skin wouldn't stop crawling.

*shivers* What a damn good episode. Damn perfect I mean... Psyched for next week. Can't wait.

What do you mean "how the chief met his demise", then?

Oooooh right. I figured when the Knight snarled at Chief it was a similar thing to the E3 demo where it signifies the part of the story where the Chief is captured. Not a 1:1 in the how it happened department but I figured because of the setups both times that it does happen. It certainly looks like we are meant to believe the Chief is captured.

I'll have to wait until later to watch FUD. The trailer last night was awesome. Also, it just so happens that Linda is one of my favorite Spartans. I would like to see her in a game someday.

FUD spoilers
My only problem with the newest episode is the elite has the armor lights of a storm elite. but the storm faction isnt even formed in this timeframe. this is 30-40 years before Halo 4.

But maybe we'll get more info later.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Exactly - I loved that you didn't have to read the fiction to piece his story together, and it's great for those who know the story, and an intro to those who don't know, and they can get away with doing this by showing it from his captor's view, and not just repeating his story.

One of the parts that really get me and is probably miss-able for most is when you see that whole room-full of those possible Spartans lining up for augmentation, and Chief wakes up alone in a huge room full of empty beds - it tells a lot in a few seconds.

Flipyap

1. Because it's a really effective way to let people (not just hardcore fans) that there exists a mother-son relationship between Chief and Cortana. Th contrast between the first call and the second. The first is on a serene beach on a lovely evening. There isn't any real urgency. The second is pretty much the opposite scenario. What connects them is how the Chief ultimately needs them or, perhaps, how Cortana has learned to interact with the Chief most effectively.

1. That's really not what their relationship is like, unless you're suggesting some sexy virtually Oedipal action is about to take place in space. Halsey is the mother, Cortana is the girl who reminds him of his mother, but man, oh man, look at those holo knockers!

2. I'm willing to bet it's exactly like the toy ad. There is absolutely no way that your standard enemy type has anything to do with the capture of the main character.

FUD spoilers
My only problem with the newest episode is the elite has the armor lights of a storm elite. but the storm faction isnt even formed in this timeframe. this is 30-40 years before Halo 4.

But maybe we'll get more info later.
This is now what Elites have always looked like. Please adjust your memory.

Hulud

FUD Ep. 3 gave me nerd chills. I demand a full 4-5 season television show ala Battlestar
without all the suck

Moa

Oooooh right. I figured when the Knight snarled at Chief it was a similar thing to the E3 demo where it signifies the part of the story where the Chief is captured. Not a 1:1 in the how it happened department but I figured because of the setups both times that it does happen. It certainly looks like we are meant to believe the Chief is captured.
Campaign Spoiler:
At the end of the play through that Frankie did at the end of the third mission, Chief is directly outside the Didact's Cryptum, looking at the darkness and location of that part and the part shown in the Launch trailer, I assume it happens then.

Although, that's my guess.

Plywood, have I done spoilers right now? :)

Who knew really obvious metaphors and sterile storytelling would blow some users mind

I think everybody here "got it", if just wasn't that interesting for a trailer

I'll give my thoughts on the trailer first. I only really enjoyed the parts with the Chief and the Didact. There's a tension and fear for the Chief – but Chief's like "I'm not afraid of you" – to those scenes that I really like. I'm assuming that was Halsey calling John's name. The rest of the trailer was pretty boring I thought. I feel like I've seen the augmentation process more than enough times.

One of my favorite parts of the FUD episode was the beginning, present-day scene. More about the episode:
The romance between Lasky and that girl is take-it-or-leave-it. I hope more is done with it in the future. The explanation for how the cadet was able to access top secret ONI footage – "It was really hard, but I hacked it!" – came off as too easy. In fact, I'm not even sure any foreshadowing of the Covenant from the footage was necessary.

The scene with the falling bodies from the destroyed space elevator was spectacular. I loved that. I want the next episode now please.

1. That's really not what their relationship is like, unless you're suggesting some sexy virtually Oedipal action is about to take place in space. Halsey is the mother, Cortana is the girl who reminds him of his mother, but man, oh man, look at those holo knockers!

Isn't Cortana based off of Halsey? So... wouldn't that mean that Cortana is also the 'mother' figure? But you're right, no metaphor or anything to take from those seemingly random collection of images.

gillFTR

One of the first videos I posted got blacklisted of CTF exile, if you missed the some of the other direct feed videos PM, they have been uploaded to a streaming site, so you can access them quicker. I still have direct feed links if thats the way you prefer.

bGanci

Banned
One of the first videos I posted got blacklisted of CTF exile, if you missed the some of the other direct feed videos PM, they have been uploaded to a streaming site, so you can access them quicker. I still have direct feed links if thats the way you prefer.
Any chance you could pm me a link ?

Who knew really obvious metaphors and sterile storytelling would blow some users mind

I think everybody here "got it", if just wasn't that interesting for a trailer

It didn't blow my mind that I got it. It blew my mind as to how simple/clever they made it for non-Halo fans or people unfamiliar with the lore to 'get it' in a subtle way. Heck, maybe it's obvious to everyone. That just means it's effective and that's essentially what I enjoyed about it.

Top Bottom