• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Because no matter what they do, players will find a way to strip those ranks of their validity. It happened in 2, it happened in 3. I guarantee you that 343 dedicated hours and hours and hours to developing a ranking system. And every step of the way they ran into the intractable problem of people being jerks.

It's an inherent problem of online games

There could be no ranks and you still get cheated

Just be able to identify whose connections are tanking and BAM no host for you

That and being able to not figure out who is host, too.

Absolutely agreed, the fact that the core gameplay must be altered to maintain order in even the most standard of games is a symbolic disaster for the series. Yet another problem which would be solved with a server browser.

Shameful.
broken_record_by_brokenchar-d39gjga.jpg

Actually, I'd loe to try get a HaloGaf (possibly community wide) league going. I'd love to devise a system for handling teams and drop outs and all the time issues. I think of stuff like that and I wonder how cool it'd be to have a bunch oh Gaffers, HBOers, THC dudes and loads more playing against each other for fun and stuff.

I imagine with a stats API that kind of thing could be an actual thing right? Like you could choose certain people you wanted to track and then when they played against eachother whoever wins gets automatically incremented - shove the scores on a leaderboard and you have a D.I.Y ranking system for a specific community.

I dont actually care about a ranking system - but I am going to say that its going to hurt the game not having 'something' to make people want to win. Having a mode which rewarded double exp to the winner would be great as I could go in there and expect to play against competent opponents. Not just people mucking about. Would be too prone to abuse though. :(

IHaveIce

Banned
Actually, I'd loe to try get a HaloGaf (possibly community wide) league going. I'd love to devise a system for handling teams and drop outs and all the time issues. I think of stuff like that and I wonder how cool it'd be to have a bunch oh Gaffers, HBOers, THC dudes and loads more playing against each other for fun and stuff.

Really cool idea, I would like this

Ramirez

A league within GAF would be great, pushing it out to other communities would be a headache. You would have to let people form their own teams, and probably have a roster of 6-7 people to keep things going at a timely pace.

I know I'm a broken record, but I've been playing in 2K/Madden leagues on here with the same guys since I joined GAF, it's easily the most enjoyable thing I've ever gotten out of these forums. I've always wanted a Halo equivalent.

kylej

Banned
hopefully this game doesn't suck dick. I haven't played much Halo at all in the past year which isn't something I woud've expected during H3's reign. If this game blows I don't think I will keep playing it like I did Reach.

then again new consoles next year so if it sucks maybe we'll only have to play it for a year until we get H2 XBLA when the 720 launches

MrDaravon

If being able to betray your teammates is considered a core part of "traditional" Halo, it can die in a fire for all I care. Hopping into matchmaking solo I would get betrayed all the fucking time for power weapons, and it would almost never give me the option to boot. I've got no sympathy at all for people on this one.

I imagine with a stats API that kind of thing could be an actual thing right? Like you could choose certain people you wanted to track and then when they played against eachother whoever wins gets incremented - shove the scores on a leaderboard and you have a D.I.Y ranking system for a specific community.

Yeah, you could totally do something like that. Heck, maybe you could still get that data from scraping the site but I don't know much about that or how 343 are displaying the stats. You could make it really handy too by having specific map and gametype names to refine your searches.

I'm sure it can be done with spreadsheets and stuff too. I might try my hand at it.

I thought FF being off was in Infinity Slayer only, is it across every playlist?

I saw a betrayal in Dominion and Flood, so I imagine not

I mean, this whole FF thing started because I saw a grenade bounce off a teammate in Infinity Slayer at a Eurogamer event, I mean who knows maybe that was just for demo purposes. Lot of conclusion jumping going on.

I couldnt care less of a ranking system, as long as the game matches me up with near same level skilled players, I'll be more than happy.

Yea you actually will have less fun, its basically proven scientifically in a bunch of studies. Game Design is getting pretty crazy. Almost a real field!

You know how TicTacToe is fun? Until you realize you can beat it? Then it no longer is fun? If you've ever gone through that process it makes a bit more sense.

Havok

I don't agree with this at all, if the game is fun, I will play it for a long time. The vast majority of my Halo 3 matches were social. You also have a ton of "competitive players" on here who achieved Forerunner/Inheritor rank and I know you guys didn't play Arena for the majority of your matches.
I can't speak for everyone, and I'm not even a big stickler for ranks, because I know the problems that they introduce, but I can say with relative certainty that Arena being Slayer-only played a big role in my apathy towards it. Well, that and the whole "supposedly hypercompetitive list with jetpack and evade (and camo in arena doubles)" thing. Even if ranks make things twice as fun, putting them in a shitty playlist just means it's shitty fun x2.

Overdoziz

Banned
And I'll say it again, 90% of the people on here don't want competitive matches, because the first time they get their 100 win streak broken, the game is stupid, lame, & let's go into a different playlist! Ranks are very much a dick waving contest that they want to hold over the lesser people of the playing world.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
You keep saying this but Reach competitive play (outside MLG) simply isn't fun. The only reason I played Reach a shitload is because you can go +30 by farting in the general direction of the enemy team. That's the only way I can enjoy Reach. Once you play against good players all the problems that the game has become clear. It becomes a contest of who can abuse the dumbest shit the best. Jetpacks, armor lock, drop shield, sprint, sword, shotgun, whatever. Then there's bloom which turns shooting itself into a chore and you've got a game that's worthless for any kind of competitive play. Reach MLG is a lot of a fun against good players though. It still has some problems that the rest of Reach also has but it's a lot better for competitive play. Same for Halo 3 (unless you're playing AR starts like 50% of the time).

Ironically, if Reach has stricter matchmaking I would've probably enjoyed it a lot less even though I consider myself a competitive player.

Ramirez

You keep saying this but Reach competitive play (outside MLG) simply isn't fun. The only reason I played Reach a shitload is because you can go +30 by farting in the general direction of the enemy team. That's the only way I can enjoy Reach. Once you play against good players all the problems that the game has become clear. It becomes a contest of who can abuse the dumbest shit the best. Jetpacks, armor lock, drop shield, sprint, sword, shotgun, whatever. Then there's bloom which turns shooting itself into a chore and you've got a game that's worthless for any kind of competitive play. Reach MLG is a lot of a fun against good players though. It still has some problems that the rest of Reach also has but it's a lot better for competitive play. Same for Halo 3 (unless you're playing AR starts like 50% of the time).

Ironically, if Reach has stricter matchmaking I would've probably enjoyed it a lot less even though I consider myself a competitive player.

So if MLG is fun, how come you guys didn't just live in there?

No one likes getting pooped on, it's ok.

Tawpgun

A league within GAF would be great, pushing it out to other communities would be a headache. You would have to let people form their own teams, and probably have a roster of 6-7 people to keep things going at a timely pace.

I know I'm a broken record, but I've been playing in 2K/Madden leagues on here with the same guys since I joined GAF, it's easily the most enjoyable thing I've ever gotten out of these forums. I've always wanted a Halo equivalent.

It worked alright during the Community Tournament. We could just make a gamebattles team. Stack the roster so we always have enough people. But having everyone in Halo communities having their own team is kind of eh. You can have a set team and whatnot, but the best way to play each other and keep track of standings is to just have another Community Tournament. I've always wanted to do another one, especially to usher in Halo 4.

Pop

I don't agree with this at all, if the game is fun, I will play it for a long time. The vast majority of my Halo 3 matches were social. You also have a ton of "competitive players" on here who achieved Forerunner/Inheritor rank and I know you guys didn't play Arena for the majority of your matches.

And I'll say it again, 90% of the people on here don't want competitive matches, because the first time they get their 100 win streak broken, the game is stupid, lame, & let's go into a different playlist! Ranks are very much a dick waving contest that they want to hold over the lesser people of the playing world.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Do you really think everyone that plays rank is because of that? Come on now.

I play rank to challenge myself and achieve the highest rank. I like challenges of beating my opponent at my skill and visual representation of ranks to show that. You put in the hard owned 10 min battle to win the match why not be awarded. I mean really do I need to bring up Reach numbers again. That's been beat into the ground. Given I know that reach matched you with legit staff captains but I just don't understand the reasoning of removing Ranks. Give us an option(like Black Ops) to report a player.

Ramirez

It worked alright during the Community Tournament. We could just make a gamebattles team. Stack the roster so we always have enough people. But having everyone in Halo communities having their own team is kind of eh. You can have a set team and whatnot, but the best way to play each other and keep track of standings is to just have another Community Tournament. I've always wanted to do another one, especially to usher in Halo 4.

Why is it kind of eh? The type of competition this breeds among a community is amazing.

^ Yes, it is very much a dick waving contest. So you're telling me without a visual representation, beating the same people in a game, is some how devalued because you don't have a visible rank shown after the game?

I want a ranking system, but I'm not lying to myself on why I want it. The challenge of a tough match however, can be achieved without the visual rank, so I don't buy that excuse.

Tawpgun

Why is it kind of eh? The type of competition this breeds among a community is amazing.

Each community having an A-Team would be really cool, but how would you organize a league?

Can you pick up ammo from dropped weapons without a perk?

Yes but there's another issue with that. You run out of ammo frequently. Since everyone is choosing different guns, you might not find ammo so easily. I was constantly picking up new rifles from the ground.

Nowise10

Okay last "spoiler". And yes, from my friend.

Infinity Slayer is the one gametype with Friendly Fire off, but you can still get booted for betrayals in it.

Every other default gametype has Friendly Fire on, and Betray Booting On.

Okay last "spoiler". And yes, from my friend.

Infinity Slayer is the one gametype with Friendly Fire off, but you can still get booted for betrayals in it.

Every other default gametype has Friendly Fire on, and Betray Booting On.

Thanks for clarification, but how can you betray someone if friendly fire is off?

Ramirez

Each community having an A-Team would be really cool, but how would you organize a league?

HaloGAF is a rather large entity now, so forming enough teams wouldn't be a problem. Like I said, you give each team a max roster size of say, 6 or 7. You place these teams in divisions, much like any pro sports league. From there a set schedule would be made, in order to make it run smoother, you could allow flex scheduling so that you don't have to have certain matchups done within a week time frame. After the season is done, the best records move on to the post season, and from there, a champion is crowned!

This obviously wouldn't be for people who have a restricted schedule of availability, I myself probably wouldn't be able to participate, but I would love to help organize it & keep track of stuff.

I only push for it because I know how satisfying it can be. Like I said, it breeds amazing competition/rivalry/trash talking among the community. It's not like winning a GAF league makes you the best in the world, but it feels good to know you just bested all of the people you know the closest on the net!

MrDaravon

Unless he's connecting to XBL those options would be the playlist default, they can change it either way for matchmaking. I'm still extremely unhappy we can't even get a confirmation on what the day 1 playlists and details are going to be -_-.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Whatever grenades they actually had.

Thanks, so I have to assume ammo is the same way then.

Also, how often do people actually die with grenades left, especially if they can't pick them up? I guess it would have to be more than I'm thinking if they made this an ability

Pop

^ Yes, it is very much a dick waving contest. So you're telling me without a visual representation, beating the same people in a game, is some how devalued because you don't have a visible rank shown after the game?

I want a ranking system, but I'm not lying to myself on why I want it. The challenge of a tough match however, can be achieved without the visual rank, so I don't buy that excuse.

Maybe it was for you, not me. Don't speak for everyone.

Let's say H4 matches you with people of similar rank. Now you keep winning and all you ever get is a damn W and exp for your global rank inheritor bullcrap (like I really give a fuck about that).

Not everyone plays halo for the same reasons as you. I personally love ranks. As much shit of a game Reach is, I would have played it if it had proper ranks instead of quitting after a month. Achieving ranks is way more satisfying then gaining xp for the next damn armor piece.

JackHerer

Unless he's connecting to XBL those options would be the playlist default, they can change it either way for matchmaking. I'm still extremely unhappy we can't even get a confirmation on what the day 1 playlists and details are going to be -_-.

It is kind of annoying. I would really like to know if there will be an FFA playlist and not just Regicide. Regicide looks dumb so it would be a shame to have that be the only FFA mode in matchmaking. I really hope that what has been leaked are not the final launch playlists. Seems very strange for them to have KoTH as its own playlist. Also, no Extraction in matchmaking?

I'm also wondering when they are planning on officially revealing Extraction as a game type. 2 weeks from launch and they haven't said a word about it...

Nowise10

Thats why I said Default gametypes. I would assume though that Day 1 Playlist would be using the default Gametypes. Halo:Reach and Halo 3 did.

Blissful

Neo Member

Dick waving contest? I didn't flash my 50 all over people's faces when I got it. I was actually proud of myself and kept it to myself. Obviously players can see the rank and might make a comment about it, but it can be of benefit since the player may try twice as hard to beat a 50 in the playlist becuase they want to beat the best rank.

People will still "wave their dicks" with their progression rank so what difference does it make?

Ramirez

Let's say H4 matches you with people of similar rank. Now you keep winning and all you ever get is a damn W and exp for your global rank inheritor bullcrap (like I really give a fuck about that).

I used to be like this, and I don't mean this in a rude way, but I guess I grew out of it.

Pop

I used to be like this, and I don't mean this in a rude way, but I guess I grew out of it.

That's all you can come back with. You think I'm some little teen, really telling me I need to grow up?

haha oh man, I said what I wanted to about ranks. I'm done.

I can still splatter people? I wonder if the Mantis stomp counts as a splatter.

I saw a betrayal in Dominion and Flood, so I imagine not

I mean, this whole FF thing started because I saw a grenade bounce off a teammate in Infinity Slayer at a Eurogamer event, I mean who knows maybe that was just for demo purposes. Lot of conclusion jumping going on.

Maybe he just had that perk that reduces grenade damage, which in turn prevents you from being stuck with plasmas. ohgodwhathaveidone.gif

Moa

I can still splatter people? I wonder if the Mantis stomp counts as a splatter.

Maybe he just had that perk that reduces grenade damage, which in turn prevents you from being stuck with plasmas. ohgodwhathaveidone.gif

Quick, someone write that down for Halo 5!

Ramirez

That's all you can come back with. You think I'm some little teen, really telling me I need to grow up?

haha oh man, I said what I wanted to about ranks. I'm done.

I said I didn't mean it in a rude way, you lack reading comprehension apparently. Now, that was rude.

If you had been reading along, you would have noticed I said I WANTED ranks, but in no way, shape, or form is it going to ruin my enjoyment of the game to the point that I can't play it even if I find it to be an amazingly fun game.

Lolzzz fuckin love this guy right now

But you don't understand, it was Juice's fault!

Top Bottom