• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Blissful

Neo Member
Reach grenade spam was a bunch of shit, this helps a lot with that problems actually.

Also you still start out with the grenades.

Reach nades were a problem of their own. The damage that those nades caused was just unfair.

I am just worried that too much minor changes may result in failure. Reach pretty much brought a few changes that ended up making the game crap compared to the previous Halos. I hope that Halo 4 doesn't die in 6 months because I don't want to wait another 3 years for Halo 5 to bring in the actual improvements in Halo MP (unless 343 decides to overhull it with more useless perks and shit).

Tawpgun

The biggest flaw in Halo 4's marketing was no beta/demo. All the complaints stem from misconceptions and lack of information about the game.

Fuchsdh

16 days

tUJMY.gif

I cant wait 'till this election is over, one way or another.

Being in a swing state is far more annoying than I thought it would be. Everyone's calling at every hour of the day.

The biggest flaw in Halo 4's marketing was no beta/demo. All the complaints stem from misconceptions and lack of information about the game.

Biggest flaw is no stream yet. I still dont know how the game PLAYS. I've seen and heard a bunch of cool/not cool shit. I need to see a game being played these days before I buy.

And not SLRP'rs who play the game and suddenly become complacent zombies. Someone real on stream playing it.

I mean, It looks cool. Too bad its soo dark-grey. It would have been nice if it looked more like the third level of SP, nighttime and all. I do however like all the atmosphere it has going for it... Just dark grey rocks, blue-grey forerunner structures and dark grey sky doesn't necessarily pop when put together. Still, it looks good.

I wish there was a little more artistic variety in the MP maps.

Nah, a beta/demo wasn't the only way the only way to distribute information about the game. It still blows my mind they never had a true multiplayer vidoc that just went over the new features. At this point it is irrelevant, but the way the information has been distributed has been less than ideal.

Raide

I can see the uses for Friendly Fire but it always seems to go against me. I am not the best Halo player, so I always get those annoying Betrayal kills as soon as I grab the Rocket Launcher. :D Also having people betray you for weapons sucks. It does happen but not too often but every time I hate it.

I always saw Friendly Fire options as a more pro thing. Good players could use it and never had the issue of capping their team-mates. Average players would be "accidentally" murdering their team over and over. All my own opinion of course.

Karl2177

I cant wait 'till this election is over, one way or another.

Being in a swing state is far more annoying than I thought it would be. Everyone's calling at every hour of the day.
Yeah it does suck. Iowa has the first caucus, so we get bombarded with ads first and it doesn't stop until the election is over.

Pop

I'm still salty over no skilled based rank system. Blows my mind how that feature was not developed or thought of before grifball. Like come on man...really. I'm done thinking about it, just pisses me off.

Tawpgun

Plenty of games release information just fine without a beta or demo. 343 just dropped the ball.
I literally can't think of a better way to give players information about the game than a beta. You'd have TONS of impressions from people who'd play it for weeks. And it would be in a matchmaking environment. I remember at NYCC me and Tashi both acknowledged that the game played and felt AMAZING. But that they never stress tested the net code on a huge public beta. Here's to hoping the game runs fine on Launch day.

There's plenty things I wasn't a fan of after having played the game. The biggest ones being plasma pistols/grenades as loadout options in BTB (I'm betting on this being updated out of BTB soon after people start abusing it), auto-pick up of the flag, and global ordnance. Everything else people are whining about is so goddamn trivial and a non-issue.

I can see the uses for Friendly Fire but it always seems to go against me. I am not the best Halo player, so I always get those annoying Betrayal kills as soon as I grab the Rocket Launcher. :D Also having people betray you for weapons sucks. It does happen but not too often but every time I hate it.

I always saw Friendly Fire options as a more pro thing. Good players could use it and never had the issue of capping their team-mates. Average players would be "accidentally" murdering their team over and over. All my own opinion of course.

0277_0m3v.gif

Fuchsdh

Yeah it does suck. Iowa has the first caucus, so we get bombarded with ads first and it doesn't stop until the election is over.

Yeah, I can't imagine being in a perennial swing state or a place like Iowa which aims to be important politically, you have to deal with this crud all the time.

Vortex does look a bit grey, but interesting grey at least :)

And Demon's pretty much on the money. I think MS would be better served by letting 343i do its own production on reveals and just leaving some previews for the press. Better to have fewer and more accurate and meaty reveals than this piecemeal approach, I think. Hope for future marketing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Biggest flaw is no stream yet. I still dont know how the game PLAYS. I've seen and heard a bunch of cool/not cool shit. I need to see a game being played these days before I buy.

And not SLRP'rs who play the game and suddenly become complacent zombies. Someone real on stream playing it.

Slrrrrrrrrrrrrp

*feet shuffling*

Sllrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp

Raide

I'm still salty over no skilled based rank system. Blows my mind how that feature was not developed or thought of before grifball. Like come on man...really. I'm done thinking about it, just pisses me off.

I am also surprised they did not refine Arena with the addition of Ranks. While it does feel just for e-peen reasons, it is nice to see yourself against other players. The quick check of the number gives you a good indication but its also not foolproof. Until they get that system, just having the number seems pointless.

Also Grifball has got way too much attention over the last few Halo games. Average gametype at best.

Blissful

Neo Member

I've been pissed off since the TU. 343 says "no we can't add a ranking system to Reach because we don't have the team to implement such a thing". Now they have Halo 4, their own game with their own codes and they still don't add a skill based ranking system.

If only Bungie kept 1-50 in Reach so that 343 can simply copy and paste it in to Halo 4.

JHall

Ranking2.jpg

I'd give anything for these back.

343's missing a perfect opportunity, too! Just use the Forerunner alphabet they established for ranks! Maybe A-Z, and then 1-10 for specializations. Or even 1-50. People won't know what the fuck their rank is until they become lore whores and google it but there's still incentive to get a higher symbol! Everybody wins!

Blissful

Neo Member
Skill based ranking makes the game 2x more fun in my opinion. It also really helped differentiate Halo from other FPS games, which is why I never really touched COD until Halo Reach's Arena didn't deliever. I'm ashamed how 343 couldn't come up with a good system when they had 3 years to do so. All these changes and nothing for those who give a shit about playing a skill-based MM game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
343's missing a perfect opportunity, too! Just use the Forerunner alphabet they established for ranks! Maybe A-Z, and then 1-10 for specializations. Or even 1-50. People won't know what the fuck their rank is until they become lore whores and google it but there's still incentive to get a higher symbol! Everybody wins!

I like this idea

Still 1-50 but not straightforward enough that casuals won't get discouraged

I know we don't know the full customisation options yet, but does anyone know if low ball and low hill scoring are back? Loved those options for several custom games, but they were removed for Reach. Which sucked.

I would have much preferred an iteration of Arena. 1-50 was great but it only told you how good you were in relation to people in your lobby. There could conceptually be 1,000,000 legit 50's but each one of them has no idea where they size up to each other. At least a league or leaderboard system would actually give players a placement relative to everoyone else.

Having said that, 1-50 was likely just a standard deviation of the playerbase but I'd guess boosting and alt accounts skewed the latter end a bit. Either way, players could possibly deduce where they related to other players based on that chart and that's no real difference to what Arena did.

You know what? Fuck ranks. Give me what PGR used to do in 3 or 4 where they had weekly chamionships on both national and international levels. Give everyone who competes a ranking for that tournament and archive that shit so you can look back and monitor your progress.

What are groups???

Sanjuro

Alright, I'm definitely out of codes for the moment. If I get anymore you'll see me sharing. I hope you all thank me for saving you from diabetic hell!

I remember early on in Halo 2's lifespan where getting a 16 in Team Slayer was legit. That shit was hardwork, every match was like life and death, and pray to GOD you don't get any standbyers.

Then in moved up to 25. And then I think 32 after that. You saw somebody with a symbol you knew there were either God incarnate or modders.

JackHerer

As much as it is really annoying to get betrayed for a power weapon or get booted for an accidental betrayal, it isn't a big enough problem and it does not happen often enough to warrant the removal of friendly fire.

Turning off friendly fire kinda screws with the dynamics of the game. Now you can just spam your nades and rockets into a crowd of people without having to worry about anything. This will happen a lot more often than accidental betrayals did because people will quickly become wise to it and abuse it. Not a great trade off IMO.

Aggrotek

I remember early on in Halo 2's lifespan where getting a 16 in Team Slayer was legit. That shit was hardwork, every match was like life and death, and pray to GOD you don't get any standbyers.

Then in moved up to 25. And then I think 32 after that. You saw somebody with a symbol you knew there were either God incarnate or modders.

I was a 36 before the rank reset. I was proud of that shit. Did it in Team Hardcore with a bunch of guys from XGC. Those were the days.

But, now I don't care enough anymore lol.

Oozer3993

That's fine. But many many others love it.

But why remove a feature that many loved? Really 343i...why

Because no matter what they do, players will find a way to strip those ranks of their validity. It happened in 2, it happened in 3. I guarantee you that 343 dedicated hours and hours and hours to developing a ranking system. And every step of the way they ran into the intractable problem of people being jerks.

Actually, I'd loe to try get a HaloGaf (possibly community wide) league going. I'd love to devise a system for handling teams and drop outs and all the time issues. I think of stuff like that and I wonder how cool it'd be to have a bunch oh Gaffers, HBOers, THC dudes and loads more playing against each other for fun and stuff.

Nowise10

I couldnt care less of a ranking system, as long as the game matches me up with near same level skilled players, I'll be more than happy.

If rank cheating was so widespread why not institute a rank ban instead of abolishing the system entirely? Though I never cared for ranks personally so it doesn't matter to me whether they're included or not.

Conor 419

Banned
I can't kill people randomly anymore? NOT EVEN MY OWN TEAMMATES? I CAN GRIEF THEM ANYMORE? Dark days for series.

Absolutely agreed, the fact that the core gameplay must be altered to maintain order in even the most standard of games is a symbolic disaster for the series. Yet another problem which would be solved with a server browser.

Shameful.

Ramirez

Yea competitive players will lose interest quickly if they cant see something showing where they rank.

I don't agree with this at all, if the game is fun, I will play it for a long time. The vast majority of my Halo 3 matches were social. You also have a ton of "competitive players" on here who achieved Forerunner/Inheritor rank and I know you guys didn't play Arena for the majority of your matches.

And I'll say it again, 90% of the people on here don't want competitive matches, because the first time they get their 100 win streak broken, the game is stupid, lame, & let's go into a different playlist! Ranks are very much a dick waving contest that they want to hold over the lesser people of the playing world.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Fracas

#fuckonami
I can handle no friendly in fire in Infinity Slayer I guess. As long as it's made abundantly clear that it only affects Infinity Slayer and nothing else.

Actually, I'd loe to try get a HaloGaf (possibly community wide) league going. I'd love to devise a system for handling teams and drop outs and all the time issues. I think of stuff like that and I wonder how cool it'd be to have a bunch oh Gaffers, HBOers, THC dudes and loads more playing against each other for fun and stuff.

HaloGAF Tourney 2.0!

Top Bottom