• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Sanjuro

They should just completely remove
-DlC skins.armor.
-Pre-order bonuses.
-Double Xp FOOD.

What the hell has Halo become?

Include everything in the game when you BUY it.

Jesus christ, bunch of ten year olds dressing up their manbarbies and companies selling out.

Skin/helmet talk has to be the most useless talk in this thread. elzabams posts have more content.

and I'm calm again. Thanks for listening everybody.

8HMWH.jpg

Oozer3993

This is exactly why I'm buying the standard edition. If they don't care to fill me in on deets, I'm ok with not spending the extra money.

343 told us EXACTLY what came in the LE back in May when it was revealed. The contents have not changed in the slightest, and details were EXTREMELY explicit.

The Halo 4 Limited Edition will be available at the estimated retail price of $99.99 and includes:

• War Games Map Pack Access

The competitive multiplayer modes of Halo 4 are known as War Games. The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps - three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox LIVE. Yes, you read that correctly; you get nine maps in the form of future DLC with the purchase of the Halo 4 Limited Edition. Score!

• Specializations

Everyone will have access to select Specializations, but those that purchase the Halo 4 Limited Edition will receive the ability to unlock six Specializations early, available at launch on Xbox LIVE. You can use them, one at a time, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specializations unlock new customization options. We’ll be releasing more information about Specializations at E3, so expect additional details about this particular feature then.

• UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet

The UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet includes a Spartan armor customization schematic, information about UNSC weapons, an introduction to the massive ship UNSC Infinity, and insight into what it means to be one of humanity’s finest warriors: The Spartan-IVs. Story lovers will especially enjoy this in-fiction offering that provides a glimpse into the indoctrination of Spartans aboard the Infinity.

• Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn Special Edition

The Special Edition of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn is a 90-minute extended version of the live-action digital series which will take fans back to the terrifying beginning of the Human/Covenant war, when the Master Chief inspired a young cadet who would eventually become a leader aboard the UNSC’s greatest vessel ever: the UNSC Infinity.

Digital content also includes in-fiction bonus content that expands the characters and stories of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, special featurette Bringing Gaming into Reality, and a behind the scenes look at the making of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn.

• Bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE

The Limited Edition includes the following bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE: unique in-game Spartan-IV armor skin, unique in-game weapon skin for the Assault Rifle, an exclusive in-game emblem, Xbox LIVE Avatar prop, and Xbox LIVE Avatar Spartan IV armor set.

So if someone handed you a bag that said "food" on it and charged you 50 dollars you would just buy it without knowing what it actually contained?

That's the problem, we really don't know EXACTLY what this thing has in it.

She also answered your question, lol.

"The LE does not come with the War Games Map Pass armor and emblem DLC. The content is different and unique to each SKU. So the LE comes with the Prime armor skin, Prime weapon skin, Prime emblem, Recruit armor avatar costume, and Cryo-Tube avatar prop, and the standalone Halo 4 War Games Map Pass comes with the Scanner helmet, Strider helmet, and Falcon emblem. I know that's not good news for the completionists amongst you, which is why we're brainstorming ways to make those items available in the (distant) future."

So yeah, they will also be available.

Yeah, lets just hope for free and not as a paid DLC pack.

MrDaravon

So if someone handed you a bag that said "food" on it and charged you 50 dollars you would just buy it without knowing what it actually contained?

That's the problem, we really don't know EXACTLY what this thing has in it.

She also answered your question, lol.

"The LE does not come with the War Games Map Pass armor and emblem DLC. The content is different and unique to each SKU. So the LE comes with the Prime armor skin, Prime weapon skin, Prime emblem, Recruit armor avatar costume, and Cryo-Tube avatar prop, and the standalone Halo 4 War Games Map Pass comes with the Scanner helmet, Strider helmet, and Falcon emblem. I know that's not good news for the completionists amongst you, which is why we're brainstorming ways to make those items available in the (distant) future."

So yeah, they will also be available.

Annnnd I'm definitely done with the LE.

I like how they are "brainstorming" to provide LE Season Pass owners with the exact same content other Season Pass owners get. Jesus Fucking Christ. I hope they don't hurt themselves thinking about it too hard!

343 told us EXACTLY what came in the LE back in May when it was revealed. The contents have not changed in the slightest, and details were EXTREMELY explicit.

You're intentionally being dense. While that is technically true, it isn't in practice isn't as the exclusivity period on Specializations is now known to be only 2-3 weeks (possibly at the most), and people who buy the Season Pass separately get content that people with the Season Pass that comes with the LE don't get. They have after the fact actively devauled what is in the LE.

Sanjuro

I'd like to know if the Season Pass included in the LE I'm paying $40 more includes the same content that standalone Season Pass buyers are getting. That's not unreasonable, and no one has been willing to provide a clear answer. And given that the LE has already been devauled by having the FUD being digital only, and the exclusivity period on the Specializations included with the LE only being 2-3 weeks, people have a right to be pissed. They're very actively devaluing a product people haven't even actually bought yet.

Even if they confirm that the Season Pass in the LE includes the skins/emblem as well, I'm still canceling my pre-order for it, as a customer I don't appreciate being jerked around.

I wasn't aware there was a difference between the two.

Yeah, I think its fair that people are sour over the LE.. the whole thing has been a bit of a disaster on the digital side of things.

It did change after this in official press releases, saying "exclusive armor and skin" and it took them ages to clarify. When they clarified they implied they thought it was armor and skin also and apologized.

Havok

I decided against the LE a while ago, but the only thing that would have convinced me to grab it is the Specialization access. Now that they're all available to anybody who plays in the first two weeks, I have no more incentive to rethink that decision. Skins (especially when most of them are for armor sets that I'm not going to be using) don't do anything for me, nor does packaging I'll never look at.

I guess the extra Forward Unto Dawn stuff is neat, but that + the packaging + whatever fiction elements are in the briefing packet isn't worth 15 dollars plus tax (since I'll be purchasing the season pass) to me. It's interesting, I thought it was strange (and totally gross) that gameplay items were being held back for the LE buyers, but it's equally strange (but much less gross!) that they're devaluing the LE by giving those things away.

I was personally delighted to learn I don't have to preorder for anything important and can just walk into a store on the day and pay less.

Thanks, Microsoft!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Juices, you better not have a custom spartan in Reach you turd.

Who knows if they will actually go through with it. They could just change their minds and change what the small kilobyte file will unlock but they haven't.

They won't, I'd be willing to bet on it, you might just have to wait till all 3 map packs are out before you can get those helmets.

Shit has changed as it's evolved and you know it. One wargames map pack contains shit, and the other doesn't for some weird/stupid reason. Then you have "official" sources that also have fucked it up and a straight answer is neigh impossible on all of it.

MrDaravon

I decided against the LE a while ago, but the only thing that would have convinced me to grab it is the Specialization access. Now that they're all available to anybody who plays in the first two weeks, I have no more incentive to rethink that decision. Skins (especially when most of them are for armor sets that I'm not going to be using) don't do anything for me, nor does packaging I'll never look at.

I guess the extra Forward Unto Dawn stuff is neat, but that + the packaging + whatever fiction elements are in the briefing packet isn't worth 15 dollars plus tax to me.

The FUD stuff would be an incentive if we couldn't already watch the core product for free, and if the version in the LE was physical and not a digital copy. Also anyone who is really into that and specifically wants that is probably just going to buy the physical release in December that comes with more stuff, and is only $13/$17 (DVD/Bluray) on Amazon right now.

Sai-kun

Banned
The Halo 4 Limited Edition will be available at the estimated retail price of $99.99 and includes:

• War Games Map Pack Access

And then they say the War Games Map pass comes with two helmets and then say later that it only does when you buy it separate.

They never said that the season pass WITH the LE came with helmets.

They only mentioned that the season pass separate from the LE came with the helmets, later.

They only mentioned that the season pass separate from the LE came with the helmets, later.

Actually they announced the helmets and then awhile after that said that they don't come with the LE.
They advertised it as the map pass, implying it would be the same thing you could by, not that it would be a neutered version.

-DlC skins.armor.
-Pre-order bonuses.
-Double Xp FOOD.

Jesus christ, bunch of ten year olds dressing up their manbarbies and companies selling out.

Skin/helmet talk has to be the most useless talk in this thread. elzabams posts have more content.

I agree - the big problem with double exp is that it actually means that people in certain parts of America will have more weapons faster than people everywhere else in the world simply because they live in the right area and happen to eat junk food.

Skin/helmet talk is useless but Elzar deffo has more useless posts.

Holy shit, Nemesis sounds awesome. This soundtrack is great.

Which still begs the question of why they would lock out a LE purchaser from content like the helmets which SE buyers can get.

MrDaravon

The only thing I can think of that makes any sense is that all of the physical stuff for the LE (i.e. the cards with the codes for all the LE stuff) was already long printed and they either made the helmet decision after the fact and there's no way to attach them to already printed codes on that end, or Marketing decided separately that they needed an extra incentive for people who didn't buy the LE to get the Season Pass to guarantee that money.

blamite

I'm so torn between using a Didactified Superintendent for H4 or the Spookyintendent for Halloween. :lol If anyone would like to try to do something with either or these, have at it:

t5MYk.png

CEARm.png

zap

Holy shit, Nemesis sounds awesome. This soundtrack is great.

Which still begs the question of why they would lock out a LE purchaser from content like the helmets which SE buyers can get.

I know, that just makes no sense. Surely by having the same War Games Pass for LE and separate purchase it would make it easier for consumers to understand. There's no benefit I can see of having different DLC for that. People who have the LE won't buy the War Games Pass, so why lock them out of stuff that won't convince anyone (except a handful of crazy fans) to buy both?

It just makes no sense, like a lot of weird decisions we've seen 343 make recently.

MrDaravon

How do you get the LOCUS helmet again? That is the only one I care about.

Can someone Didact-ify me please?

It's a pre-order bonus only available at a retailer that's in New Zealand and the UK. Brilliant, right?

I know, that just makes no sense. Surely by having the same War Games Pass for LE and separate purchase it would make it easier for consumers to understand. There's no benefit I can see of having different DLC for that. People who have the LE won't buy the War Games Pass, so why lock them out of stuff that won't convince anyone (except a handful of crazy fans) to buy both?

It just makes no sense, like a lot of weird decisions we've seen 343 make recently.

I don't think you could even buy both on one account even if you wanted to though. Part of the problem is that I don't think we know how the codes are tied together in the LE. Normally I'd say someone could sell their Season Pass in the LE to a friend for a like $20 then buy the Season Pass separately to get the helmets, but I have a feeling the Season Pass and the LE-exclusive stuff is all going to be tied together.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Awwww yeahhh

MIDTV.png

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

But HOW did you get the Locus helmet code?

Sanjuro, what was that LOCUS code from, seriously.

My NZ friend is giving me his MightyApe codes and I'm wondering if it's the same one. I was under the impression it was a skin for LOCUS and not the actual helmet.

We've known since PAX that there is no skin for Locus and that it is just the helmet.

Wait. Shit. I just realized. Locus Helmet. Not Locus Helmet skin. What the fuck?

Dis thread today

Well, I'm joining the crowd and cancelling the Limited Edition in favor of the regular edition and buying the map pass separately.

All the other bonuses have basically become obsolete (and I don't want to stream FUD digitally), and when comparing the Prime skin with the Strider helmet, I choose the Strider helmet (and for 15 dollars less).

The War Games Map Pass will simply be available on the XBL marketplace at launch, correct? And the recruit armor is available to everyone at launch?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This armor and helmet clusterfuck only proves one thing

DON'T DANGLE IN GAME CONTENT AS A PREORDER INCENTIVE

Trinkets? Sure. But trying to figure out who gets what when where and how is incredibly irritating

wwm0nkey

That's misleading, that person is jumping to conclusions based off his "No it's not" which could apply to many different meanings on what I stated in that post.

What we do know is that stuff that's not available at launch IS going to be available later to us. What that stuff is yet, we don't know. But it's safe to assume the preorder shit is at least what's covered.

I saw her say they are different, but she had to check on it. Then nothing.

What else could Frankie have been referring to?

In response to the ARG:

searching Gallagher Glacier got me these two interesting links:

Gallagher's Glacier is an expanded short story from 1964 by Analog. Amazon link here.

It also presented me with Gallagher Ridge, a location in Antarctica. It is nearby Decker Glacier (800 meters east), Nichols Ridge (2 km east), Repeater Glacier (2 km southwest), Ponder Peak (2 km southeast), and Tractor Corner (3 km west).

No idea what to make of this yet.

The Didact is frozen in a glacier on EARTH!!!!!! OMGHGUDJdsjkbkjljg

MrDaravon

This armor and helmet clusterfuck only proves one thing

DON'T DANGLE IN GAME CONTENT AS A PREORDER INCENTIVE

Trinkets? Sure. But trying to figure out who gets what when where and how is incredibly irritating

I can deal with pre-order incentives to a point. Where it completely falls apart is when you start offering different pre-order bonuses at different retailers, some of them not even available in all countries. This whole thing is bullshit, but with the pre-order ones they've said they'll be available at some point down the line for everyone so whatever. But the LE Season Pass vs the Standard Season Pass is where this gets fucked.

As a completionist I'm already fucked since I'm not willing to pay $350 for the console for a single skin (or pay the apparently $150+ it's going for on ebay for just the code). My OCD only works if I can get everything, so the moment that became not possible I stopped giving a fuck. My outrage over the Season Pass thing is purely on principle.

-DlC skins.armor.
-Pre-order bonuses.
-Double Xp FOOD.

*applause*

Its all so damn stupid.

Top Bottom