• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

In response to the ARG:

searching Gallagher Glacier got me these two interesting links:

Gallagher's Glacier is an expanded short story from 1964 by Analog. Amazon link here.

It also presented me with Gallagher Ridge, a location in Antarctica. It is nearby Decker Glacier (800 meters east), Nichols Ridge (2 km east), Repeater Glacier (2 km southwest), Ponder Peak (2 km southeast), and Tractor Corner (3 km west).

No idea what to make of this yet.
Really? All I got from the video is that the Gravity Hammer is going to spray pound cake and toothpaste all over things.

u4iX

In response to the ARG:

Gallagher's Glacier is an expanded short story from 1964 by Analog. Amazon link here.

It also presented me with Gallagher Ridge, a location in Antarctica. It is nearby Decker Glacier (800 meters east), Nichols Ridge (2 km east), Repeater Glacier (2 km southwest), Ponder Peak (2 km southeast), and Tractor Corner (3 km west).

54e8eb6709a0d28b5bf22110.L.jpg

I wouldn't make too much of it.

Really? All I got from the video is that the Gravity Hammer is going to spray pound cake and toothpaste all over things.

Pretty much this.

Oh yeah, we only have one special edition besides the standard one so it's easier for consumers to choose which ones they want. Oh by the way, we've made a lot of content to give to a large number of retailers. Have fun trying to collect everything.

This shit doesn't benefit me as a consumer in any way. It strictly only benefits the retailers.

bGanci

Banned
I wouldn't make too much of it.

Pretty much this.

I wouldn't count this out. I would keep a eye on it. Halo 3 ARG had us jumping to Amazon for clues.

Also the quote on the front page. "He fought for the freedom of space and all mankind remind you of someone?

IHaveIce

Banned
In response to the ARG:

54e8eb6709a0d28b5bf22110.L.jpg

The Tagline on the book cover ...

I don't know what to think of all the "Ancient evil awakens"-thing, if it is really "just" the Didact. I don't think the Didact can match up to this hype and marketing. And why showing him already in 4 if he is so powerful? Not just teasing and he is fully revived in Halo 6 or whatever? (if he is shown in Halo 4)

Still thinking a true Gravemind or Primordial/ Precursor would be kind of scarier. I know many people don't like the flood, but I think they are the most interesting thing in Halo, especially after Primordium and Cryptum

Oh yeah, we only have one special edition besides the standard one so it's easier for consumers to choose which ones they want. Oh by the way, we've made a lot of content to give to a large number of retailers. Have fun trying to collect everything.

This shit doesn't benefit me as a consumer in any way. It strictly only benefits the retailers.

I doubt it was ever designed with the consumer in mind. :(

The whole Halo 4 marketing thing has really dented my spirits for the game - I am honestly unsure if I would even be buying it day one over Assassins Creed at this point if I hadnt already had hands on time with it.

That book cover seems like an incredible co-incidence to me - still pretty cool though.

wwm0nkey

It being dlc, it happening soon, the whole thing being like gears 3, any combination of those things, the entire thing, etc.

There is more of a chance he was saying no to the concept of LE dlc down the road seeing is how they didnt make the LE armor or Legendary flames in reach available to everyone.

The whole Halo 4 marketing thing has really dented my spirits for the game - I am honestly unsure if I would even be buying it day one over Assassins Creed at this point if I hadnt already had hands on time with it.

Yeah, for me the gameplay is enough to get my purchase. It's all this convaluted silliness which is frustrating to put up with.

Can you make my avatar awesome to release our rage?

Yeah, for me the gameplay is enough to get my purchase. It's all this convaluted silliness which is frustrating to put up with.

Can you make my avatar awesome to release our rage?

I was trying to think of a way to make it work in a interesting way earlier - didnt want to just throw in the symbol randomly. Any ideas?

For me its not just the convulated silly'ness - but also the fact that certain consumers get a very real advantage over others just for spending money. Worst of all is the fact that this opportunity is only available to certain fans based on location. Worst of all is if your based in a certain location, you get a very real advantage (early access to specs) for free whilst other fans have to potentially pay more for that - as someone in the UK I am very tempted to vote with my money - I just cant do it when the gameplay is so good. :(

The whole Halo 4 marketing thing has really dented my spirits for the game - I am honestly unsure if I would even be buying it day one over Assassins Creed at this point if I hadn't already had hands on time with it.
Thats just it.

Either these marketing gimmicks don't matter to you, and thus they don't matter. Or they *do* matter, and no matter what option you choose, you are missing out on content.

Its petty, manipulative, and does actually sour me on games that pull it.

Arrival is a beautiful song.

Thats just it.

Either these marketing gimmicks don't matter to you, and thus they don't matter. Or they *do* matter, and no matter what option you choose, you are missing out on content.

Yup. Its too bad though, because there are ways to do it without screwing over your fans so badly. The way the exclusive digital content has been handled reminds me of something EA would do.

Thats just it.

As much as the cosmetic differences don't matter to me (as much) - 343/ Microsoft have managed to throw the worst of both worlds together with 4 and made cosmetic and game changing marketing gimmicks. Exclusive armour I can live with - exclusive double exp/ early access to perks is where I really should draw the line and back out.

Satchel

Banned
Ok I know I shouldn't watch leaked vids.

But I just watched one that was put yesterday literally showing off the first 5 minutes of the campaign intro and HOLY FUCK!!!

Frankie, amazing story related intro work. Soooooooo good.

November 6 is way too far away.

can someone make me one? i suck at photoshop

concerning the limited edition nonsense. i think the whole armor skin fiasco is bullshit but i dont think i will be downgrading to standard. not sure who they have in charge of marketing, but they are messing up big time. half the info we got is through posts on neogaf, leaked videos, or cryptic messages. if i didnt think the game looked awesome, i probably would have been skeptical about halo 4 (after what we got from reach). i am just glad that barely any campaign info got revealed by 343.

Pop

"going back to MP"

Dude. Just say multiplayer.

And if this game is as painstakingly bad as the first one, I'm not getting it.

You can cover a piece of shit in frosting, candles, sprinkles, candy, chocolate/caramel sauce all you want, but it's still a piece of shit.

You forgot the "IMO" part.

I absolutely enjoy Blops and everything Treyarch does for CoD. Treyarch>IW imo.

senador

Banned

Sweet! Based off this, I feel I jumped the gun a bit on my latest review about getting into the good stuff too late. Looks like there will be plenty.

I'm tempted to write up a quick one sentence review they can use on their next promo video.

"Forward Unto Dawn is just awesome!" - Forward Unto Dawn

Mine made it in! First one!

Ok, that was pretty good. Also, MC's voice sound much better.

I thought Daniel Cudmore was voicing him, but Steve Downes is listed as his voice on IMDB. Interesting.

Watched Halo: Legends this afternoon. Overall I was pretty underwhelmed by it. Except for a couple of the shorts like The Babysitter and The Package it was filled with too much traditional anime tropes I don't particularly enjoy.

Top Bottom