• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipyap

RIP campaign theater :(

but hey Mark VI

jNqYJvUlXIudL.PNG
Sweet clown shoes.

Also, nothing about its description makes any sense. Does War Games exist in yet another alternate universe where the campaign's Mark VI redesign never happened?

WqjTp.png

Vire

I don't really see the appeal of Theater in Campaign.

It's like going to an Art Museum and taking pictures with your cell phone... great what did this accomplish exactly? I can go to the museum at any time and see the pictures myself in their true glory, no need to take some photo of it. The idea of taking ownership for someone else's work really has no appeal to me.

MrBig

Sweet clown shoes.

Also, nothing about its description makes any sense. Does War Games exist in yet another alternate universe where the campaign's Mark VI redesign never happened?

WqjTp.png

It wasn't a Halo 2 > 3 style artistic redesign, the armor in H4 was modified by Cortana. The H3 Mk VI would still be current Mk VI design.

Omni

It wasn't a Halo 2 > 3 style artistic redesign, the armor in H4 was modified by Cortana. The H3 Mk VI would still be current Mk VI design.

Modified by Cortana? Did she assume a solid body, grab some tools and work on it while the MC was asleep?

inb4nanobots.

The MK VI didn't have nanobots.

Flipyap

It wasn't a Halo 2 > 3 style artistic redesign, the armor in H4 was modified by Cortana.
The armor's firmware was modified by Cortana. She didn't touch the exterior. If she could do that, why would she leave Halo 3's battle scars on it?
This absolutely is just an art choice.

Woorloog

Banned
Modified by Cortana? Did she assume a solid body, grab some tools and work on it while the MC was asleep?

inb4nanobots.

The MK VI didn't have nanobots.

Halopedia suggests Forward Unto Dawn had some nanobot kit that Cortana activated and used to modify the Chief's armor.
Doesn't make much sense IMO. But then the ship is now outfitted with MA5D instead of MA5C and BR85HBSR isntead of BR55HBSR and so on...

blamite

I kind of hate to ask this, but does anyone who's seen leaks or spoilers or anything know if there's an explanation given in the campaign for why the Chief's armor is different? Preferably in the form of a spoiler-tagged yes or no answer?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I kind of hate to ask this, but does anyone who's seen leaks or spoilers or anything know if there's an explanation given in the campaign for why the Chief's armor is different? Preferably int he form of a spoiler-tagged one word answer?

nanomachines

I have no idea

Akai__

Guess 343i relied too much on numbers. Some examples, just assumptions.

1. Infection: They saw, that a lot of people played Infection, so they decided to make it more like a Zombie vs. Human alike gametype.
2. Grifball: Same like Infection, I guess...
3. Theater: I would say they cut it off from campaign and SpOps, because they saw, that people use the theater mode, more for multiplayer/MM then for anything else. Maybe the QTE and SpOps CGI's are an other factor, why we can't have them anymore. This is a mistake, in my opinion.
4. Flag/Objective gametypes: Objective gametypes aren't played that much, like Slayer gametypes. They decided to change it, so that it becomes more enjoyable, but I and many others, too, don't think, that not being able to drop the flag is a good idea. We'll see.

I could continue the list with a few morw points, but I'm tired and I need to sleep. You most likely got my point and what I'm trying to say. What really matters are the numbers for them, I guess.

Flipyap

Halopedia suggests Forward Unto Dawn had some nanobot kit that Cortana activated and used to modify the Chief's armor.
Doesn't make much sense IMO. But then the ship is now outfitted with MA5D instead of MA5C and BR85HBSR isntead of BR55HBSR and so on...
Was the Forward Unto Dawn's butt half itself also redesigned by said nanobots?

I kind of hate to ask this, but does anyone who's seen leaks or spoilers or anything know if there's an explanation given in the campaign for why the Chief's armor is different? Preferably in the form of a spoiler-tagged yes or no answer?

I don't know this, but it reminded me that some people were asking about the Broadsword.

It makes an appearance late in the campaign.

neoism

people who are so pissy about some campaign shit youll play once and never finish need to get a grip. go play some jrpgs and hold your iphone on your tv, done

talk about the BR spread

not everyone cares about MLG dude... Campaign for me is reallly important taking things out of a series that were their 6 years ago is going backwards... ... HSH is an awesome site loved it back in the h2 days....

Al I can say is
Bungie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>343

NOKYARD

Interesting stuff.
Just... are SD capture cards unavailable nowadays, you don't accept SD submissions or people don't want to make SD submissions?
If either of the latter ones, i'd say that's a people's problem, ie lazyness or too high standards. This doesn't seem to be the case though, if i'm reading your explanation right.

I still maintain it is not an end to speedrunning scene... just the community due to too high entry barrier due to lack of theater or other in-game tools. There are always going to be people who insist breaking and setting records, don't think lack of those is going to stop them.

And this reminded me of High Impact Halo... or something like that. Trickster community. I assume it and HSH are somehow related? Anyway, lack of the same tools means trick videos are going to be rare, no? Something i'm far more interested in than in speedrunning (usually watching a vid longer than 60 seconds strains my patiency, unless it is fun or really interesting (fails or tricks when it comes to Halo)).

Still not sure how i should react to lack of theater and scoring. Something in me says i should complain about lack of them and emphatize with people affected by lack of them, otherwise i just can't bring myself to care at all since i rarely if ever used either feature.
Here's a typical SD run, here's a HD run. Watch them in full screen for full effect.

The main point to take away from the megapost is the fact that there is absolutely no way to verify that one run is faster than another similar run. Yes, there will be speed runs, but their legitimacy will always be in question. How can we even determine that a Legendary run was not run on Heroic? How can we tell that a run was not spliced with another attempt at a cut scene?

HIH was our forum home from inception to cryo. Ducain gave me the heads up a month before anyone else so i could prepare our own forums. Most of the old gang hangs out at jumprs.org. The two groups are a natural fit and the HIH guys were always a great source of inspiration and a solid source for techniques we could use for our runs. A good number of jumprs are published speed runners.

I've got a Nokyard-sized post

You wish.

Woorloog

Banned
Was the Forward Unto Dawn's butt half itself also redesigned by said nanobots?

Halopedia cited some interview with Frankie for the armor's change.

As for the ship, it seems that Charon-class simply has been retconned to have a different design. I don't mind, i like the new one and its silhouette (when whole) (can be seen on the Infinity-FUD comparison chart, will look for a link later) is still similar to UNSC frigates.

The armor is a bigger question, since the multiplayer has the normal looking Mark VI but the campaign doesn't. If the MP had the SP armor, the explanation would be a simple visual retcon.
I guess the armor's new look is just ignored, that it was made to make the Chief look more distinctive now that we have more Spartans running around in the campaign as well.

Here's a typical SD run, here's a HD run. Watch them in full screen for full effect.

*shrug* I can watch SD speedruns or trick videos (as long as i understand what's going on and can see placement) no problem. Dunno about others.

So nillapuddin has provided me with some awesome graphics to use for the Forge OT. I'm lovin' it. ;)

So still looking for people to weigh in their thoughts on the quasi permanent OT title. A little less salt and a little more inspiration preferred. :p

Halo 4 Forge |OT| More than a Shade of Grey
Halo 4 Forge |OT| Snap It, Lock It, Spawn A Little Rocket
Halo 4 Forge |OT| Of Zero G, Ordnance, and Magnets, Bitch!
Halo 4 Forge |OT| A Far Cry From Previous Iterations
Halo 4 Forge |OT| Going Off The Grid
Halo 4 Forge |OT| FORGE... IN... SPAAAAAAAACE
Halo 4 Forge |OT| Limestone? Check. Prairies? Check. Comets? Check. Salt? Check!

Fuchsdh

In my magical canon-oriented world, the Chief would have had the BR55 on the Dawn. They could have just been reskinned 85s and scopeless pistols or whatever, but that would have been great for establishing how far out of time he was. Then you get to the infinity and get the Mantis and other hawtness.

Of course, in my creative vision the FUD would have remained the same shape and the Jackals wouldn't have turned into space dinos.

people who are so pissy about some campaign shit youll play once and never finish need to get a grip. go play some jrpgs and hold your iphone on your tv, done

talk about the BR spread

I put just as much time into the Campaign and Cooperative modes as I do multiplayer. Get a grip huh, take your own advice. Just cause we don't play the game like you doesn't mean we should get shafted.

Fuchsdh

talk about the BR spread

If you don't care about the campaign at all, why are you playing Halo and not CoD?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Removing features from H4 and we still get no explanation on the matter.

Its not in the game. Thats explanation enough. Either they didn't have enough time, chose not to include the feature or simply did not know how to implement it.

Woorloog

Banned
In my magical canon-oriented world, the Chief would have had the BR55 on the Dawn. They could have just been reskinned 85s and scopeless pistols or whatever, but that would have been great for establishing how far out of time he was. Then you get to the infinity and get the Mantis and other hawtness.

What you suggest would be ideal but the weapons models are distinctive (to a HC canon fan like me, not to a casual observer). Also, memory concerns, along with extra development time required (not much, but arguably very low on priority list).
I reckon that if Halo 4 ever gets a novellization (we need one for Halo 2 and 3, and Halo 4 as well, IMO), the weapons will be retconned to what they should be, more newer weapons being just gameplay elements.

Sofa King

It's like going to an Art Museum and taking pictures with your cell phone... great what did this accomplish exactly? I can go to the museum at any time and see the pictures myself in their true glory, no need to take some photo of it. The idea of taking ownership for someone else's work really has no appeal to me.

There is a lot of entertaining content that comes from campaign theater. Between speedruns, fail videos and plain odd things happening, if you don't have something recording at all times, it didn't happen. Our friends at Rooter Teeth have people send in tons of content using theater that ends up driving tons of traffic to their videos that is basically free marketing for Halo.

One of the coolest features of theater was that at any comedic fail you could look at different angles that would help explain puzzling things that happened. That is gone, even if you have a great capture card/device.

It is odd that they have really seemed to promote things that utilize these features on Waypoint (Fails of the Weak, HSH) and yet they are pulling the rug out at the same time.

Blissful

Neo Member
Its not in the game. Thats explanation enough. Either they didn't have enough time, chose not to include the feature or simply did not know how to implement it.

3 years should be enough time. They are a pretty good and dedicated team. They probably lost focus on the little things that many found important and of value.

Of course, in my creative vision the FUD would have remained the same shape and the Jackals wouldn't have turned into space dinos.

Speaking of, do they still squawk and have high pitched voices and stuff? The new models look like they'd have deep roars or something.

nillapuddin

So nillapuddin has provided me with some awesome graphics to use for the Forge OT. I'm lovin' it. ;)

So still looking for people to weigh in their thoughts on the quasi permanent OT title. A little less salt and a little more inspiration preferred. :p

your very welcome sir, and please for the title dont pick anything (negative) Id like it to be a fun and positive title, since ill be half living there, I would prefer it be our own paradise of space legos and magnets

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
3 years should be enough time. They are a pretty good and dedicated team. They probably lost focus on the little things that many found important and of value.

Im inclined to agree. It's not like there's some vast conspiracy or plot. Things got cut for probably very practical reasons.

willow ve

Im inclined to agree. It's not like there's some vast conspiracy or plot. Things got cut for probably very practical reasons.

If they are in fact very practical reasons they should have no problem communicating these issues with their fanbase. Don't they have some weekly newsletter update thing on their website with a staff person completely dedicated to this function?

your very welcome sir, and please for the title dont pick anything (negative) Id like it to be a fun and positive title, since ill be half living there, I would prefer it be our own paradise of space legos and magnets

I agree... I don't feel that any of the current options are negative so that's good. And the forge OT is looking good. Actually I'm about to PM you another request. lol... ;)

Tunavi

Banned
No disdain for the people, more boredom from discussing the topic to death, which included one of the darkest days in the last thread. Some people took it way too far, and I'd rather not see that again.
If you're bored with this thread and criticism then take a break from posting.

tumblr_l4pgh4Vfl91qablpd.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom