• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Killing people in this game is way easier than Reach, I don't understand your conniption fit.

Too bad their efficacy changes from room to room.

Just went 28-4 on a server that happened not to run like a festering cocktail of vomit and shit.

100 down, 10 up, btw. Every other game runs smooth as silk without a hint of lag.

JackHerer

Dominion was all I played today, and in my experience so far the Last Stand mechanic works out incredibly well.

In fact I really have no gripes with Dominion at all, except for one small annoyance. When you capture a base and it freezes you in place for like 2 seconds even after you're finished capturing.

Personally I have not enjoyed Dominion that much. There's just waaay to many power weapons in play at any given time. It is extremely common to find people just camping inside a base on Longbow with rockets. This gets old fast.

It reminds me the third tier of invasion from Reach but it's the whole game instead of just the end. Within the first few minutes of the game it seems like at least half of the players have some sort of power weapon at any given time. Meltdown is a pretty bad offender as the Incinerator Cannon seems to be an extremely common resupply drop on that map.

You know what I meant. A room without a shitty connection.

Yeah, I did, I was being facetious.

I will say that after playing 100+ Halo 4 MP games I have not noticed much lag at all. There have been a couple games where people have been warping around the map, but nothing that affects how the game feels on my end.

Connections so far are, for the most part, amazing. Had a weird thing happen earlier where no one was spawning bar like one person. Sometimes there is lag which causes you to skip back and forth though which isn't pleasant but overall the connections are awesome.

KOTH is a lot of fun. As is Oddball and Dominion. Have yet to play Flood.

pakkit

Banned
I've played 8 games of Infinity Slayer so far, and got over 25 kills in 3 of the games. I think I've only ever done that once or twice in Reach, out of thousands of games. Probably got a lucky draw or something, but the power weapons you get with kill streaks definitely help... No scoping seems easier as well. So far I'm liking the game a lot, but have yet to see whether it will draw me in like Bungie's Halo games, or if I'll play it for a bit and then discard it like I did with Max Payne 3 earlier this year.

heckfu

Banned
Connections so far are, for the most part, amazing. Had a weird thing happen earlier where no one was spawning bar like one person. Sometimes there is lag which causes you to skip back and forth though which isn't pleasant but overall the connections are awesome.

KOTH is a lot of fun. As is Oddball and Dominion. Have yet to play Flood.

Yeah, even our international games were phenomenal like 99% of the time.

Yeah, even our international games were phenomenal like 99% of the time.

Yeah so very true. Really hope there can be an international league/tourney at some point. Timezones are like the only issue.

Anyone identify hosts in any way yet? I wouldn't be able to bet any money on spotting the host of a game so far anyway.

Fell asleep earlier and now it's 7am. I think I'll nab some food and mess around with Forge for a while.

fawaz

Banned
how do you guys feel about slayer pro?

i think making you spawn with two grenades, and dropping global ordnance in favor of a halo 3 type system (plenty of frags sprinkled around the map) would make it my go to playlist.

also a forge pit remake thrown in there would be a welcome addition.

Ken

i think making you spawn with two grenades, and dropping global ordnance in favor of a halo 3 type system (plenty of frags sprinkled around the map) would make it my go to playlist.

If I had my way we would spawn with no grenades.

needs more maps. It's more fun than infinity slayer, but less fun that big team

Dominion was all I played today, and in my experience so far the Last Stand mechanic works out incredibly well.

In fact I really have no gripes with Dominion at all, except for one small annoyance. When you capture a base and it freezes you in place for like 2 seconds even after you're finished capturing.

Definitely agree about the mechanic. The games where the Last Stand doesn't kick in after the first minute are really great. I had pushed a team on to Last Stand like 3 or 4 times in a single game. You feel like such a boss taking down the players with OS. On maps like Meltdown it is very easy for the winning team to be too widely spread to hold off the losing players' attempts to recapture a base which is kind of nice too.

I captured Charlie on Meltdown once and waited for peeps in OS to try and take it back. Needless to say, having that Incineration Cannon helped a lot.

fawaz

Banned
If I had my way we would spawn with no grenades.

why?

imo grenades separate the good players from the bad.
in a 2v1 situation most times you would have no chance in hell of killing both with gun play alone; however, getting the perfect nade bounce could turn the tides allowing you to cleanup with a couple of headshots.

The lag I'm talking about is the minor pain-in-the-ass lag, best illustrated when you shoot a dude in the head or with a shotgun, and there's that fraction of a second pause before it registers and you get the death animation (and groan).

In of itself, it's not a big deal, but when every shot is taking that extra fraction of a second to land, you get what I get. Records of 9 - 20 - 14, DMR duals you lose regardless of landing your shots first, it is incredibly fucking annoying.

Assists in this game man. I think Tashi enjoys them.
Antitype seems to hate them, but even when it seems like I should get the kill only to see an "Assist +5" pop up, I'm all good. Team contributions are all that matter, even if it tanks my ratio in favour of inflating my assists.

Havok

Antitype seems to hate them, but even when it seems like I should get the kill only to see an "Assist +5" pop up, I'm all good. Team contributions are all that matter, even if it tanks my ratio in favour of inflating my assists.
Pretty much. Getting a notification for even a single shot placed is a really good feedback and information method, one that's direly needed given the (detrimental, as far as I'm concerned) changes to the combat log.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Definitely agree about the mechanic. The games where the Last Stand doesn't kick in after the first minute are really great. I had pushed a team on to Last Stand like 3 or 4 times in a single game. You feel like such a boss taking down the players with OS. On maps like Meltdown it is very easy for the winning team to be too widely spread to hold off the losing players' attempts to recapture a base which is kind of nice too.

I captured Charlie on Meltdown once and waited for peeps in OS to try and take it back. Needless to say, having that Incineration Cannon helped a lot.
Word. Meltdown is the perfect map for Dominion as well. Holding B is incredibly fun, especially if you throw an enemy Mantis in.

malfcn

Do the glyphs in the corner during loading relate to anything?

And when I see 3rd/Shoulder Halo, I sometimes wish we could play more like that.

Tunavi

Banned
If you get a single shot in, you deserve the medal because you're actually assisting in the kill. Hated putting a few shots into a guy and not getting any credit. I love the new system.

Sometimes, sometimes not. Like I said I'll have matches where my KDR is less than even but I'll have an abundance of assists. I don't care, a kill's a kill even if I don't get the last hit in. Teamshots yo, teamwork.

Well, we think differently. I have this wacky idea where if I take down a dudes shields with four shots and then sink 1,2,3,4,5...etc shots into his FACE (thanks shit online code, you rock!), I should get the kill, not the dude who strolls along and puts one in his leg.

Well, we think differently. I have this wacky idea where if I take down a dudes shields with four shots and then sink 1,2,3,4,5...etc shots into his FACE (thanks shit online code, you rock!), I should get the kill, not the dude who strolls along and puts one in his leg.

Because if you are having online issues, you can totally believe he shot you in the leg, right?

Because if you are having online issues, you can totally believe he shot you in the leg, right?

No, the dude who killed me probably finally got around to hitting me in the head after he had 8 attempts (all the whilst, I was being informed my shots were landing via a red reticule and hash marks).

The dude that ended up killing him, he's lucky enough to have weapons that actually deal damage at a relatively similar rate.

So how has everyone managed their loadouts so far? I currently have 3 unlocked. I have a BTB based one which has DMR/PP and thruster but my other ones swap the DMR for a BR or Thruster for a Hologram.

Nutter

Too bad their efficacy changes from room to room.

Just went 28-4 on a server that happened not to run like a festering cocktail of vomit and shit.

100 down, 10 up, btw. Every other game runs smooth as silk without a hint of lag.

So basically when you get shit on you hate the game.

So basically when you get shit on you hate the game.

No, if I feel like I actually had a fucking chance, then I don't care if somebody is better than me.

Like I said, I've had a K/D of between 1.5 and 1.7 in EVERY Halo since Halo 2 (first one to keep score, but I figure Halo CE lifetime is around the same).

Now, I'm pulling a 0.9 with a hilariously inflated assist count. Yeah, that makes sense - I just magically unlearned all the core gameplay tenets in the last 4 months since I played Reach.

The simple fact is, my DMR and BR do not register as much damage-per-second as the opponents due to lag, and I am at a constant disadvantage as a result.

It is sickening to play the game in 'retreat mode' every moment, because you KNOW, no matter the skill of the opposition or your skill, you are disadvantaged. It's like playing the game with half-shields ALL the time.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Anyone here actually use an automatic primary weapon and have success with it?

Nope, not much success at all.. but Firepower with BR and Suppressor is an interesting combo I guess.

There have been a few players using the Storm Rifle that I let get kills on me, just because I feel bad that the Covie automatic is
shit once again and they don't know that.

Karl2177

Uhh, neither? They are boring objectives, and Halo 4 got ridiculously repetitive with it.

I'm no designer, but I do pride myself on knowing encounters and good basic design. Halo 3 had some good ways to feel like you're accomplishing something. As said before, Halo 3's overall story was lacking, but it's encounter-to-encounter story was fantastic. 343i should take a look at how it was done in 3 for great success in SpOps and Halo 5.

If you get a single shot in, you deserve the medal because you're actually assisting in the kill. Hated putting a few shots into a guy and not getting any credit. I love the new system.

This, I cant believe this wasn't just the original line of thought from the beginning of Halo.

The only thing better would be a scaled assist system. Which I also don't understand isn't the de facto system of any FPS in 2008+.

Good Enough™ I guess!

k so I pooped on kids today, had no idea what I was doing but I think I did ok for now.

To ignore the framerate issue is crazy talk, go watch my rebroadcast and to ignore it would be complete and utter denial in the wrong, this game is not "smooth" Whenever there was a vehichle and a weapon effect and more than one player shit started warping around, to the point precision aiming became near impossible and I just started shooting and prayin.

I was also noticing lag during battles unless thats just how unsmooth the animations are... I can't honestly tell yet.

There are also way too many one shot weapons and one shot weapons on the map at the same time.

Its fun but I really don't think I could ever take this serious.

GhaleonEB

I'm a short ways into mission 5.

I think the big
vehicle sections should have been paced better. Getting into the Scorpion for a canyon gauntlet run, right before the Mantis gauntlet run, and then the Mammoth gauntlet (though a thin one) grew a bit tiresome. I wanted to have a nice sniping episode or something in between. And all three sections were very narrow, forward only affairs.

The combination of those three sequences back to back kind of burned me out tonight, so I stopped a short ways into Mission 5. Did one game of Infinity Slayer BTB as a chaser. It feels a lot like BTB Heavies in Reach, but with a better core gameplay. Mostly a mess, but it can be a fun mess.

Broke a second controller.

I'm going to get good at this game if it kills me, but this red reticule != hit bullshit, where I pour shot after shot into a guy with no shields is making me want to kill something real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom