• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually surprised at how playable the game is with radar for me. Usually I can't stand it but I've still been having fun. Switching the Slayer Pro though, I immediately feel free. I'm using the AR and doing pretty well with it. It's amazing how consistent it is in the right range. The guys I'm playing against must be so mad lol.

Would love a No radar playlist full loadouts and maybe some AA's removed. I'd like like all the guns to be in play.
I feel like radar is actually balanced with the sandbox in this game, and it is awesome!

I recently made a suppressor class, the gun is so satisfying to use.
It is super powerful at the right ranges, the reload animation is fun to look at, and it makes pretty colors when you shoot.

Enfinit

So the honeymoon phase has passed - here's some quick thoughts:

1. Campaign is great - if you read the novels and are knowledgable in the expanded universe. Some aspects of the campaign left some of the friends I was playing with confused and unaware of why we were doing certain things. (Campaign Spoiler)
Especially the Librarian scene, who none of my friends, who've all played the main trilogy but read none of the novels, had any idea who she was or what she was doing.

2. (Campaign spoiler)
The warps, although fun, I didn't get. What the fuck? How did Cortana create them? Also, I felt the Didact's death to be very unearned. So much hype to be killed off after one game (unless he isn't truly dead).

3. Campaign was relatively short. Managed to finish it solo normal in 4 hours flat. Not sure if that's a good for bad thing.

4. Infinity Slayer, while fun, becomes slightly irritating because of the immense amount of power weapons on the map at any given point in time. I feel as if every death is caused by some sort of power/personal ordnance weapon.

5. 4v4 maps get old quickly. Only four maps to choose from, really hoping the December map pack takes care of this, or that decent Forge maps are integrated relatively quickly.

6. Supressor is awesome in campaign. Don't know what you guys are talking about.

7. Kill cams tend to be horribly inaccurate. When watching my death, the enemy's reticle is rarely anywhere on my body. While I know that it was on their screen, not showing that to me on my screen is a little unsatisfactory.

8. Sniper hit boxes are insanely large and mildly annoying. Getting headshots with the sniper requires the least amount of skill in Halo 4 as it has in any other previous Halo. Also, personal ordnance drops that allow snipers are relatively unfair (especially if you have the ammo package).

9. All of the playlists are fun in their own right. Manage to play at least a few games in each playlist, and even when getting donged on I was still able to have a considerable amount of fun. Flagnum is super fun to use.

10. The Banshee is a joke.

11. Overall UI is FUCKING AWFUL. That's one thing Reach did very well; it was clean, simple, and easily navigable. Maybe I'm just not use to it, but Halo 4's lobby UI's just seem really unorganized and hard to use. I want to stay in matchmaking games just so I don't have to use the shitty UI (maybe that's the point?).

12. Campaign was fun, however there aren't any levels that really stand out as one of those "I really want to play that again" kind of moments.
Other than the "blow up the Death Star as Starfox" scene in Mission 8.

Would love a No radar playlist full loadouts and maybe some AA's removed. I'd like like all the guns to be in play.
Team Slayer Pro + radar + some AA's would be perfect. (I guess that's jus Infinity Slayer without the Ordnance Drops lol).

TheOddOne

Boooo!!!!!
image.php

Best. Avatar. Ever.

I feel like radar is actually balanced with the sandbox in this game, and it is awesome!

I recently made a suppressor class, the gun is so satisfying to use.
It is super powerful at the right ranges, the reload animation is fun to look at, and it makes pretty colors when you shoot.
I don't know about the suppressor. I'd imagine you have to be uber close for it to be useful. I really disliked it in campaign. I do enjoy the weapon sandbox overall though. I feel like everything is fairly balanced. For example, in Reach, I felt dirty when even touching the power weapons in matchmaking, because they were so powerful. In 4, I feel like everything is fair game.

How I felt in Reach against power weapons.
Xb1pO.gif

No so in 4.

EDIT:
image.php

Best. Avatar. Ever.
Haha thanks! I know it's a huge improvement for me :D

Omni

Don't read unless you've finished the game.

What the hell happened in the final cutscene? I'm still not sure how Chief survived and what happened with Cortana to make her stay behind and die. Only played though campaign once, so I'm probably missing things.

What the hell happened in the final cutscene? I'm still not sure how Chief survived and what happened with Cortana to make her stay behind and die. Only played though campaign once, so I'm probably missing things.
Totally with you on that one. I was kind of like, huh???? I'm wondering if one of the terminals will explain it better, but I need to find them all first before watching.

Are you serious? So I have to wait until Friday...12am to get XP?
I've heard you can actually change your region to manipulate the system into thinking a day has passed and then you'll continue to gain XP.
Never tried it though, so I can't promise that it'll work.

Hey huge campaign spoiler here, do not read!
You know how Chief set the explosion off on that hardlight bridge? I think Cortana morphed the bridge so it wrapped around Chief and shielded him from the blast.
As for Cortana... I think this is how it played out:
She like... split herself apart to overload the various terminals to shut down the Didact's shield.
When the bomb exploded, she was destroyed along with the ship, all that remained was the small fraction of her that was bound to the hardlight bridge's controls.

Ken

You know how Chief set the explosion off on that hardlight bridge? I think Cortana morphed the bridge so it wrapped around Chief and shielded him from the blast.
She like... split herself apart to overload the various terminals to shut down the Didact's shield.
When the bomb exploded, she was destroyed along with the ship, all that remained was the small fraction of her that was bound to the hardlight bridge's controls.

Hardlight Refrigerator

I've heard you can actually change your region to manipulate the system into thinking a day has passed and then you'll continue to gain XP.

more spoilers vvvvv
and the chief was like, "see ya around!" lol

TheOddOne

Waypoint website is clutterd as buck. Had to go to War Games: Matchmaking > Overview to see K/D, why wasn't this put in the Service Record?

j3l7rxxjtJRhK.png

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
EazyB just witnessed a 28 and 11 with AR start on Slayer Pro. Probably couldn't do that with Radar on though.

No radar > radar. Always

Anyone here actually use an automatic primary weapon and have success with it?

Biggy, Fufy, and myself were playing some regicide and we decided to start with Storm Rifles. Needless to say, by the end of the game the other players had switched to Storm Rifle loadouts to try to keep up. Didn't work of course.

Just had some quality King and Flag games. Also, something I've noticed, in games without personal ordnance, there is very power power weapons dropped in by global ordnance. After the initial rush, most of the drops are grenades.

Waypoint website is clutterd as buck. Had to go to War Games: Matchmaking > Overview to see K/D, why wasn't this put in the Service Record?

j3l7rxxjtJRhK.png

Layout of the stats app is baffling. Also, how is there no page that shows me my overall War Games stats including a list of weapon kills and all the medals in a way that somewhat makes sense to read?
COPY BUNGIE'S REACH STATS PAGES!

Well, no shit. Thanks, Ellis. SpOps is the best part of the game for me so far, much more challenging than the campaign.

Spartan Ops is definitely the most interesting and exciting aspect of Halo at the moment. Overall I thought the campaign was good, but I have gripes. War Games has potential, but there are a lot of problems both in terms of online functionality, mechanics and systems. Solid core gameplay though.

I'll probably do a write-up at some point. It is interesting seeing how different the game is now that it is out in the wild.

EDIT: Game needs more symmetrical arena maps. Also, bring back death markers!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The stock settings and gametypes are pretty great in comparison to the Bungie stock ones of the past. Movement speed is right, sprint is great, gun play is fucking stellar. King has been improved, we'll see about Oddball but throwing it is pretty fun lol. I feel better grabbing a flag in Halo 4 than in stock Reach. Reach punishes you for juggling with that 1 second slow down. I like being able to pick people off with the magnum while running flag.

I still have to see how it all plays in ultra competitive matches though. That's when we'll see if it breaks down. So far so good though.

Pop

I ran into some lag in one game earlier where it fault as though my shots were really weaker then the enemy. But other then that this game rocks. Haven't had this much fun in an Multiplayer game in years.

Don't quote me yet but I think trueskill is working rather good, it seems in Slayer Pro I'm getting matched with people of around my skill. Man does that boltshot rock.

4vJoq.png

Here's mine. Halo 4 so good.

Edit: Speaking of Mark VI, I beat legendary Solo morning of release and did not receive the armor. :( Frankie plzz

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Almost got 30 kills without dying in the scorpion, then one of my Team Mates decided to start EMPing me and throwing stickies at me.

I hate randoms.

Friendly fire enabled in BTB?
Well, he damaged my tank 'till it was on the brink of exploding, then an enemy ghost got me with about 4 cannon shots.

pretty lame.

Shadders

Yeah that's how I saw it too
when I played it through a second time I noticed that when Chief and the Didact are scrapping the hardlight bridge is actually blue with the little lines of code running along it just like Cortana's body, the box she wraps Chief in has those same lines.

Overall I wasn't particularly satisfied with the final fight, I just feel like when the grenade pops and Didact stumbles Chief should have drawn his pistol and let me have the final shot to throw him over the edge. Felt really unsatisfying to use one of those Promethean grenades which have been totally useless throughout the entire campaign to finish him off..

I'm actually surprised at how playable the game is with radar for me. Usually I can't stand it but I've still been having fun. Switching the Slayer Pro though, I immediately feel free. I'm using the AR and doing pretty well with it. It's amazing how consistent it is in the right range. The guys I'm playing against must be so mad lol.

Me too, I have Firepower perk and DMR + AR loadout, I'm having a decent run with it. I dropped the DMR as I seemed to lose a lot of my duels with it.

Omni

In game text is so hard to read. This is the first time I've ever complained about the writing in a game before, but some of it is just ridiculously hard on a 32" plsama... Too small and compacted.

Armour doesn't look that bad actually.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Why is the file browser broken? No matter what I search for everything comes up "no files" :|

Trying to find some good custom maps but I can't find anything.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Why is the file browser broken? No matter what I search for everything comes up "no files" :|

Trying to find some good custom maps but I can't find anything.

It's probably not turned on right now since it'd just break anyway immediately. If they were smart, they'd roll it out slowly over next week.

IHaveIce

Banned
So you don't hear Steitzer's voice in clips and the entire HUD (Plus medals and killfeed) disappears the moment you die...

lol, but we can't have it as option for ourselves in matchmaking, nice.
This is really stupid.

Also I don't know I think Instant Respawns break the teamflow, everyone is spawning away from their teammates and just tries to fill up his meter for weapons.

Complex is too big for 4vs4, hell I think it is even too big for 5vs5, worst map for now.

Had no issues with any AAs or weapons till now, so that is good.

Ken

lol, but we can't have it as option for ourselves in matchmaking, nice.
This is really stupid.

Also I don't know I think Instant Respawns break the teamflow, everyone is spawning away from their teammates and just tries to fill up his meter for weapons.

Complex is too big for 4vs4, hell I think it is even too big for 5vs5, worst map for now.

Had no issues with any AAs or weapons till now, so that is good.

Respawn locations have been kind of wonky for me. I've had situations where I respawn right in front of my killer, or behind a teammate dueling someone. Same thing also happens for my opponents. It's kind of bad. I guess my issue is more with respawn points/logic than the instant respawn.

IHaveIce

Banned
Respawn locations have been kind of wonky for me. I've had situations where I respawn right in front of my killer, or behind a teammate dueling someone. Same thing also happens for my opponents. It's kind of bad. I guess my issue is more with respawn points/logic than the instant respawn.

Yeah you are right, the locations are often also really terrible.

I'm still adjusting. I switched from Boxer to BJ on Monday. It's a lot of fun playing Reach the night of 4's release and getting multiple messages from players saying I suck. Switching to a new controller scheme is brutal. I think BJ in 4 is the the best overall scheme. I prefer AA's on the ABXY buttons along with sprint.

Bumper Jumper really seems like the best fit. I absolutely hate having sprint on the stick.

Had an 8 player party going last night donging on randoms. They really need to be better at matching up parties.

Played through the beginning of mission 4 and I felt like I was on autopilot. The way the encounters played out was all very repetitive:
Grab LR, run out of ammo for it during the encounter, try to finish off with what little variety ineffective weapon options are available to me, rinse and repeat. It got better when more of the sandbox was available to me.

Most of the
Promethean encounters up until this point have been a bit of a letdown because you're only given Promethean weapons to work with. This becomes a major problem with one of the core components of Halo's combat: grenades. The Promethean grenade is one of the most unsatisfying grenades I've ever had to use. There's no feedback when using it aside from the hitmarkers that appear in your HUD, and they take too long to kill or do so little damage to be effective enough. The AI just moves out of the way. Every time I've used them I wish I could've replaced them for a frag or plasma grenade.

Forging ahead. I think I'm in the middle of mission four at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom