• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrichor

Just finished Reclaimer, and it's the best goddamn mission in the game by a country mile.

The whole concept and setup is very unique to a Halo game. It was so refreshing.

But it's not just the concept that makes the level great – the quality of the encounters takes a significant leap. And there's a reason for that – their design is very much like Halo 3's. And this isn't more apparent than after
the player meets the Librarian and steps outside to the sprawling battle with the two tanks, the Warthog, and the mongoose with rockets. It was harkening back to the battle outside the Cartographer on The Ark. They even had Pete Stacker yelling, "Form up on the Chief! Second line clear, move forward!" Halo 4 was screaming "Halo 3!" at you by that point. Despite their similarity, the execution was different, so it still felt new.
They lend themselves to a huge portion of the Halo sandbox and give the player so many options. I can't wait to go back and tackle those encounters in different ways.

It's the only level in the game that didn't make me feel tired and is if the game were on auto pilot and just going through the motions. Despite the poor feedback system in the game, it was the first time in Halo 4 where I was feeling that moment-to-moment progression of past Halo games. I was feeling that "thirty seconds of fun" again. That flow was there again. And, again, that's probably because it was emulating Halo 3.

The level ramps up in unexpected and satisfying ways,
like taking down that new Covenant drop ship, and it had a fantastic atmospheric moment inside that Forerunner structure.

Some nitpicks:
1. Jumping out of the Covenant dropship would've been cooler if you didn't have any fall damage. Come on, 343. Get rid of it.
2. Inside the Forerunner structure, Cortana says something to the effect of, "Sentinels seem to be leading us somewhere." I don't think that line was necessary because it was pretty obvious to me, through the subtle use of the HUD and your reticule turning "green" when you placed it over the sentinel, that something different was up.
3. I am so confused by what was revealed between the Librarian and the Chief, but I was having so much fun with the level, I don't care at this point. I'll sort it out later.
4. Halo 4 has problems with distributing enough ammo to the player. It was bothering me when fighting upwards inside the Forerunner structure.
5. What would've made the "The Ark"-like portion even better was if there was some appropriate music to get your blood pumping. I was fooled for a second there in thinking that the Halo theme would come in. Of course that didn't happen, but there was no satisfying music in its place.

My perception of the quality of this level could be a bit skewed given that the past four levels haven't been...good, but if anything, this level has given me the push to see the game through to its completion. The setup for mission six looks damn interesting as well.

There's hope. :)

I hated this level - primarily because vehicles have so little health in this game, rendering vehicle combat in anything above normal basically impossible. I ended up hiding on the mammoth taking down ghosts and wraiths with the AR - the opposite of fun.
The lich just felt like a reskinned scarab that they didn't have to program pathfinding for, struck me as a bit lazy and I'd have preferred to fight a scarab.
If it wasn't for the fourth and sixth level it'd be my least favourite in the game. The whole thing just felt like a more linear and less fun version of "The Ark"

For me, the third mission is the best. Gorgeous art, three-way battles like the good old days, new exciting sandbox elements that are introduced gradually, open-ended objectives and the brilliant ghost escape setpiece - not to mention the battle around the
cryptum

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Scattershot is fun, light rifle is like a not-as-fun DMR/BR hybrid.
Yeah, it's weird, but that gun just isn't fun to use for me. Even in campaign, I drop it for any other rifle.

Trust me, the core game rivals Halo 2. The problem is, it's just buried under some pretty big issues. Basically everything that was predicted came true.
Totally. The core is golden. I even like armor abilities now (except for camo and jetpack -- another thing many people predicted).

Edit : Cyren, I like that list. Especially adding in X death markers, A-Z active roster, and fixing JIP.

BigShow36

I might be alone in this but I never want to see Sanctuary again. Playing it every other match in Reach makes you hate it, and I never liked the layout.

You're not alone. Vastly overrated map where one team sits and teamshots from the middle at another team spawning. It compounds the complete reliance on teamshot 10 fold, making an individual completely worthless.

J10

Banned
Everybody wants to set up inside or on top of building 07 on Complex. This is especially annoying when I join a game already in progress and the opposing team already has Sniper up there. Oh, and that Snipers can't get shot out of scope. Brilliant design.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Game is really good, fix these (urgent) issues below and we have a title that could be compared to Halo 2 with no issues.

lol those issues are mostly fucking peanuts compared to the ones Halo 2 had. If you wanna compare straight gun/gameplay fine but as far as the whole package is concerned there's no comparison. There is definitely a lack of polish though, that's undeniable.

edit: Over, I agree. I like not being able to switch votes either.

CyReN

lol those issues are mostly fucking peanuts compared to the ones Halo 2 had. If you wanna compare straight gun/gameplay fine but as far as the whole package is concerned there's no comparison. There is definitely a lack of polish though, that's undeniable.

Meant Halo 2 as in fun.

Beckx

Regarding this core halo bullshit.

Here's my thoughts.

4 v 4 small maps is like, competitive Halo core.

But the essence of Halo in BTB and I think thats undebatable.

BTB gives you the BIGGEST portion of the entire Halo sandbox because it includes vehicles. To me and many others, when I want someone to experience how amazing Halo is, I want them to play an awesome game of BTB, to taste everything it has to offer.

4 v 4 is like the core of infantry play, but BTB is the entire package. If I needed to sell Halo multiplayer on screenshots alone, I'd have shots of vehicles and infantry duking it out.

I like the way you put this. Vehicle play is core to what I think of with Halo.

Booties

Banned
I might be alone in this but I never want to see Sanctuary again. Playing it every other match in Reach makes you hate it, and I never liked the layout.

Yeah, all the bad maps in Reach made it the most popular by familiarity alone. It wasn't even a good remake and sniping on it because of the forge world processor problems made it intolerable. I only had fun on it with a team of 5 in objective. Otherwise it's a POS.
I also have my worst KDR outside of objective on Sanctuary

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Meant Halo 2 as in fun.

Non Alphabetized friends list really sucks the fun out of the game lol. We all had fun in Halo 2 days because XBL was still fresh and the standards had not been set. If Halo 2 came out today as a mainstay Halo game, we would fucking trash it. And for good reasons too.

willow ve

It feels like the single shots have a slight input delay or something. It's strange.

I swear you pull the trigger, and it takes a second to register. The firing cadence is just bizarre

Agree - the single shot feels like it has input lag. Then suddenly it will work fine for 2 or 3 shots and back to lag. I wonder if, when pulling the trigger repeatedly, it doesn't register individual shots that are too close together (as it thinks you're trying to charge the bolt shot).

And the vast majority of people will agree with you. Unfortunately, we have BTB fans and 343 defense force attempting to defy logic for who-knows what reason. I think ANYONE who is being intellectually honest with themselves can acknowledge that this game is sorely lacking smaller maps.

100% agree on that part. Even the "small" maps require a lot of spawn, sprint, where the fuck is everyone?, ..., ok now I'm in gun battle... oh shit killed that guy, sprint around for awhile, check score board to see if the other team has dropped out, sprint around some more, YEAH gun battle, sprint....

----

Anyone made a custom gametype for all Binary Rifle all the time? Needs to happen.

good stuff but please don't change it back that you can change your votes, this is right now perfect

Agree - don't let people change their vote. Annoying mechanic in Reach that often led to WTF moments of "how did this get voted?"

Killcams (or SITREC in Halo 4) are nonsense often enough that they should have been cut from the game.

I like that most of the matchmaking playlists are objective, supporting the most healthy objective population in any Halo game, ever.

I hate the flinch mechanic. I hated it in Call of Duty and never ever wanted it in Halo.

I think people might be used to the way Reach does the lobby between games. In Halo 4, If you start a search, you have the chance to be placed in a match in progress, but if you stay in the lobby after the game, it dumps your opponents and you start a game from scratch. Stop backing out unless you want to change lists!

For those wondering, I believe the daily XP limit is 120,000 XP. I do not believe you can shift time zones to get around it. It is either managed on the server side, or the game detects when you change your time zones and does some sort of restriction there. I'll post anything additional I come across.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That Banshee part you guys are mentioning was the hardest part on heroic so far. I could easily steal a banshee, but then I'd get demolished by the ghosts and every other damn enemy on the map shooting straight up in the air.

I basically had to steal one, park it, steal the next, park it, etc.

Can't imagine that on Legendary.

Did it on legendary. The trick is to not use a banshee at all. Just take a ghost to each node and destroy them and the ground troops around them. By then you can get in one if you like.

MUCH easier that way.

No File Browsing On Waypoint
-This makes downloading files for community-submitted video projects very difficult and exhausting. Furthermore, this is a feature that existed in previous games and has been removed without explanation.

This hasnt been removed has it? I just assumed they just havent activated it.

Tunavi

Banned
Yeah, all the bad maps in Reach made it the most popular by familiarity alone. It wasn't even a good remake and sniping on it because of the forge world processor problems made it intolerable. I only had fun on it with a team of 5 in objective. Otherwise it's a POS.
I also have my worst KDR outside of objective on Sanctuary
I hated Asylum, but I think thats because I hated Reach.

Did it on legendary. The trick is to not use a banshee at all. Just take a ghost to each node and destroy them and the ground troops around them. By then you can get in one if you like.

MUCH easier that way.

I splattered the first Elite, stole his Banshee, Banshee Blasted + Lasered the two other Banshees. By then my Banshee was smoking, so I transferred to the spare on the left side of the canyon (as you enter it) and flew from node to node to node. This was on Legendary Solo.

TommyT

Had a rough day doing some MP yesterday. Having to take a bit of a break to spend time with the fiancee, but should be back this weekend!

so dexterity or quicker shields?

The shields aren't quicker to start their regeneration. Once started, they regenerate faster. Just clearing that up as I had some confusion on it before I read up on it.

daedalius

woohoo Tashi stream

also that looks like a solid Lockout remake.

I wouldn't mind seeing GOOD forge maps put into rotation. At least 1 from each environment.

MUCH easier that way.

Pretty much what I did.

Not automatically being pulled from scoping when getting shot baffles me! It's so frustrating and I can't wrap my head around why it's like this compared to other Halo games. It's already ridiculously fast paced compared to previous games, with almost no dynamic team play, but this just adds to the head-scratching.

Also, I've already had quite a few times occur where 3-4 seconds after I kill someone, they're sprinting around the corner and shooting at me again. A huge turn-off from Call of Duty rearing its head in this game, makes me sad.

DeadNames

Banned
I think you should get de scoped if you're using a sniper.

Sniping is SUPER easy.

And sometimes I feel like the melee lunge is way too far.

Non Alphabetized friends list really sucks the fun out of the game lol. We all had fun in Halo 2 days because XBL was still fresh and the standards had not been set. If Halo 2 came out today as a mainstay Halo game, we would fucking trash it. And for good reasons too.
Nope,if Halo 2 came out today then ill be very happy.

ElRenoRaven

You know I will say one thing. I really do like Spartan Ops. It's not perfect but for a first attempt at a bite sized episodic like co-op campaign like experience it's pretty damn cool.

MrDaravon

I splattered the first Elite, stole his Banshee, Banshee Blasted + Lasered the two other Banshees. By then my Banshee was smoking, so I transferred to the spare on the left side of the canyon (as you enter it) and flew from node to node to node. This was on Legendary Solo.

I'm on this part right now Legendary solo and I want to break my fucking controller. If I kill the elite and take the Banshee there is just so such shit on the ground shooting at you that I get destroyed before I can even take out the other banshees, and if I stay on the ground the Banshees one-shot me with fuel rod shots.

I'm on this part right now Legendary solo and I want to break my fucking controller. If I kill the elite and take the Banshee there is just so such shit on the ground shooting at you that I get destroyed before I can even take out the other banshees, and if I stay on the ground the Banshees one-shot me with fuel rod shots.

That part is rough. I did my legendary run in 9:30 after beating it once on heroic.

The plan is mostly the same for all environments - whittle down their fodder. Also, dont take the banshee until you've killed some stuff on the ground first.

zap

http://www.twitch.tv/tashiii

Stream is up. Come chill if you're bored at work lol

Open stream... See Tashi being a scrub using the AR...

bPUdx.gif

J10

Banned
Used to be able to scroll through the scoreboard by holding Back with left thumb and scrolling with right stick. Great for muting people in a snap. Right stick scrolling no longer works.

TommyT

http://www.twitch.tv/tashiii

Stream is up. Come chill if you're bored at work lol

Would love to, but can't see actual streaming of Twitch at work. Own3d on the other hand...

Party problems a lot. Cannot connect to parties. Restart xbox. Then I can. So yeah future warning, if I just go offline after you guys invite me it's because I can't join and I'm resetting.

Ah, I have yet to be in a party so I'll be sure to remember. Was always happening for me at the Halo 4 to Halo Waypoint transition.

MrDaravon

That part is rough. I did my legendary run in 9:30 after beating it once on heroic.

The plan is mostly the same for all environments - whittle down their fodder. Also, dont take the banshee until you've killed some stuff on the ground first.

I can't. The Banshees fucking utterly destroy me if I try to take out the ground troops first. If I stay in the Ghost I'm giving them easy EMP shots, but if I do it on foot it makes it even easier for the Banshees to one-shot fuel rod cannon me. I honestly think this may be the most fucked encounter in any of the Halos on solo Legendary outside of 2, I can't think of anything like this that I just hit an utter fucking wall on. And it's been largely a cakewalk up to this point.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can't. The Banshees fucking utterly destroy me if I try to take out the ground troops first. If I stay in the Ghost I'm giving them easy EMP shots, but if I do it on foot it makes it even easier for the Banshees to one-shot fuel rod cannon me. I honestly think this may be the most fucked encounter in any of the Halos on solo Legendary outside of 2, I can't think of anything like this that I just hit an utter fucking wall on. And it's been largely a cakewalk up to this point.

This is what I was worried about. I died about 10 times on heroic doing it. I eventually had to grab the bashee and fly as fast as I could to the rocks on the edge of the map and pick people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom