• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigShow36

But the essence of Halo in BTB and I think thats undebatable.

The numbers don't agree with you. That's all we can use to determine what's "core." The majority of players play Halo in a 4v4 format. THAT is undebatable because we have data to support it.

The "essence" of Halo means different things to a lot of people. The "essence" of Halo to me isn't some BTB clusterfuck of unbalanced vehicles, it's a pure 2v2 or 4v4 with balanced settings.

Tawpgun

The numbers don't agree with you. That's all we can use to determine what's "core." The majority of players play Halo in a 4v4 format. THAT is undebatable because we have data to support it.

The "essence" of Halo means different things to a lot of people. The "essence" of Halo to me isn't some BTB clusterfuck of unbalanced vehicles, it's a pure 2v2 or 4v4 with balanced settings.

But you have to agree that the entire halo package/sandbox is best represented in BTB. I think more people play 4 v 4 because its more accessible. It's also the first ticket on the list.

And player count isn't exactly the greatest. I don't think Infection or SWAT are core Halo (from Reach)

willow ve

Prometheans are fine. Their grenades just suck.

Grenades would be better if you could pick them up off fallen enemies and friendlies without enabling a "perk" for that function. They strip shields well, stickies kill when stuck, and Prom Grenades* are, well, something.

*They work great in campaign vs Prom Knights.

Practically all the good things come from Bungie(the core gameplay), and all the 343 additions are kinda LOL(Spartan Ops, UI, Prometheans, scoring, metagame, etc).

I disagree with you here. The story is fantastic. Graphics are great. Art and music are impressive. Spartan Ops is fun (and will continue to be so with the loads of new content that is coming). Prometheans are a good new twist on the series and it was fun to have them and covies. Scoring is meh, but it's basically just lop of a zero and see the number of kills.

So far the only WTF moment in multiplayer is the ordnance. I just can't understand any of the reasons they gave that were supposed to justify this switch. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

daedalius

I had no problem with the banshee section of mission 3. Took a few extra minutes I guess... but nothing too nightmarish.

Nothing like some of the sniper sequences in H2.

Tawpgun

Disagree. Using those in MM is a blast. People just run into them without thinking. Also they are great for blocking off a hallway or door. :p

Hardly. It blocks off a hallway and door more or less the same way frags and plasma do. But PromGrenades are easier to avoid. Don't think I've gotten a kill with one in MM. Don't think I've gotten killed by them in MM.

Disagree. Using those in MM is a blast. People just run into them without thinking. Also they are great for blocking off a hallway or door. :p

They suck ass in Campaign. They have no effect on any of the enemies when you hit them with it, and by the time they finally get around to exploding, they have already moved.

And the game keeps giving you inferior Promethean weaponry when it would be more effective(and fun) to use the better UNSC/Covenant weapons/grenades.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hardly. It blocks off a hallway and door more or less the same way frags and plasma do. But PromGrenades are easier to avoid. Don't think I've gotten a kill with one in MM. Don't think I've gotten killed by them in MM.

I got a handful last night, also a handful of times I'd throw it in a group of people (especially on Adrift) and it'd damage them enough for me to get a multi kill.

I also stuck one in the back of a Wraith in BTB. That was interesting.

But it lasts 5 seconds or more, therefore you actually have time to get your shield back. Easier to dodge maybe, but place it right and it still buys you time. Think power drain in Halo 3.

They suck ass in Campaign. They have no effect on any of the enemies when you hit them with it, and by the time they finally get around to exploding, they have already moved.

And the game keeps giving you inferior Promethean weaponry when it would be more effective(and fun) to use the better UNSC/Covenant weapons/grenades.
I actually prefer the Suppressor to the Scattershot when dealing with Prometheanemies (that's right, I just made up a word). Grenades are meh at best, but the Boltshot is really great. The only new weapon that I haven't found useful at all in campaign and SpOps is the Storm Rifle.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Complex, by far, is my favorite map.

Glaring issue; Rockets spawning ON TOP of the enemy base in CTF. What the FUCK is that noise, 343? That has literally been my only issue with the "random" weapon spawns. Putting power weapons on the enemy teams side is a complete joke.

Ragnorok, for example. Every game i've played, one team has a laser spawn on their side of mid about halfway through the game. That's just completely dumb IMHO.

Boltshot charge up is great, but the single shot feels like shit. The Suppressor is good as long as you don't fire it outside the max range of 2 feet. You can't even feather that thing before the spread goes crazy. Scattershot is fun, light rifle is like a not-as-fun DMR/BR hybrid.

And as for the music, I think there's maybe 2-3 tracks I really enjoyed. Everything else was kinda background noise, like I feared. There were moments in the campaign where I couldn't help thinking, "Boy, I bet Marty would have make a kickass song for this section" "Marty would have made this shit awesome, probably" "I miss Marty :("

THAT SAID, I haven't had this much fun playing Halo in years. It's like this wonderful cake that has layers and layers of nasty-as-HELL icing on top of it. If you can dig past it, there's a creamy center.

Sure, but just because it throws everything part of the game together doesn't mean it represents the "core" of Halo.
I'll jump in to this, not sure why. To me, the core halo experience is in. 4v4 setting. BTB is certainly an integral part of halo, as it does utilize the full sandbox, but 4v4 slayer is definitive.

TheOddOne

I actually prefer the Suppressor to the Scattershot when dealing with Prometheanemies (that's right, I just made up a word). Grenades are meh at best, but the Boltshot is really great. The only new weapon that I haven't found useful at all in campaign and SpOps is the Storm Rifle.
Good man.

BigShow36

I'll jump in to this, not sure why. To me, the core halo experience is in. 4v4 setting. BTB is certainly an integral part of halo, as it does utilize the full sandbox, but 4v4 slayer is definitive.

And the vast majority of people will agree with you. Unfortunately, we have BTB fans and 343 defense force attempting to defy logic for who-knows what reason. I think ANYONE who is being intellectually honest with themselves can acknowledge that this game is sorely lacking smaller maps.

Boltshot charge up is great, but the single shot feels like shit. .

It feels like the single shots have a slight input delay or something. It's strange.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That Banshee part you guys are mentioning was the hardest part on heroic so far. I could easily steal a banshee, but then I'd get demolished by the ghosts and every other damn enemy on the map shooting straight up in the air.

I basically had to steal one, park it, steal the next, park it, etc.

Can't imagine that on Legendary.

Boltshot charge up is great, but the single shot feels like shit.

Agree. Must be the trade off. Although I have still yet to land one of the charge shots that kills someone.

Is it just me or does the Custom Game UI not list suggested player counts for the maps? Or am I missing something? Was irritating just picking them at random for split screen last night.

And the vast majority of people will agree with you. Unfortunately, we have BTB fans and 343 defense force attempting to defy logic for who-knows what reason. I think ANYONE who is being intellectually honest with themselves can acknowledge that this game is sorely lacking smaller maps.

It feels like the single shots have a slight input delay or something. It's strange.
Agreed. Haven isn't interesting enough to make me want to play it every game either. Definitely too many big maps.

And just about every Elite wields one and I every time I see it on the ground I think it's a Carbine.
Yeah, I get fooled by it a lot, expecially when heading for a weapon cache. Tons of Storm Rifles, and one or two Carbines. :-/

If anyone does the SpOps missions solo, make a loadout with the extra ammo perk. You'll be glad you did.

I swear you pull the trigger, and it takes a second to register. The firing cadence is just bizarre
Agreed, it's the oddest weapon to get a handle on. It seems to track headshots better than anything else, which is even weirder.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yeah the Boltshot's primary firing mode should be an absolute last resort. Just use it as a shotgun.

Also, is the DMR an 8sk if you land all body shots?

Actually liked fighting the Prometheans more than the Covenant as the game progressed. Did not think much of them in the beginning, but fighting multiple of them at once on Legendary is a real challenge -- the ones with the Shotgun are real bish. Most of the weapons are useless against them, but boy pop out the Suppressor to pump bullets in them and see their shield drop then finishing with the Light Rifle feels so good.

One thing I did notice is that the enemies love to throw grenades.

They aren't hard on Legendary, just annoying. They take too many shots and they kill you too quick. That plus the fact that they just stand there and are brain dead makes them not fun to fight.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
If anyone does the SpOps missions solo, make a loadout with the extra ammo perk. You'll be glad you did.

Played all of them on Legendary last night using the Firepower perk (Two Primary Weapons)
Did BR and AR. Didn't notice on the second and third mission that there were ammo crates littered around the map. Felt like I was a spartan, and actually very campaign like.

Ramirez

reading these pages... game sounds like a total mess.

The game is a blast, I really do not see how any hardcore Halo fan could play Slayer Pro and not be totally in love with this game.

Global Ordnance needs some work, and Slayer Pro needs fixed respawn times, as well as X's added back in, but the core game is just too much fun.

If you could stomach Reach for as long as you did, I do not see you not liking this game Kyle.

That looks like a decent Lockout remake, the first priority for the MM team should be to get in forge remakes of popular maps like Lockout, Sanctuary, etc. before putting in unknown CC trash.

The game is a blast, I really do not see how any hardcore Halo fan could play Slayer Pro and not be totally in love with this game.

Global Ordnance needs some work, and Slayer Pro needs fixed respawn times, as well as X's added back in, but the core game is just too much fun.

If you could stomach Reach for as long as you did, I do not see you not liking this game Kyle.

That looks like a decent Lockout remake, the first priority for the MM team should be to get in forge remakes of popular maps like Lockout, Sanctuary, etc. before putting in unknown CC trash.

Yeah, the campaign is a mess but the multiplayer is great, needs some work but has more promise than Reach.

BigShow36

Agreed; anyone who played Reach for its full term should be in love with this game. There are a lot of tertiary things that are frustrating and need to be fixed going forward (weapon spawns is a big one, and the UI is terribad), but the core game is as fun as Halo has been in a long time.

I swear you pull the trigger, and it takes a second to register. The firing cadence is just bizarre

It's really strange because it seems to work fine after the first couple of shots.

I'd like to see a Forge Made playlist.4v4.

Start it up with Beave Creek, Warlock, Sanc, Lockout, Midship, Pit, Zealot, remakes and from there add in user made Forge maps.

I dunno if they should ever be in real playlists. They look like a pile of dog doodoo

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I might be alone in this but I never want to see Sanctuary again. Playing it every other match in Reach makes you hate it, and I never liked the layout.

CyReN

Game is really good, fix these (urgent) issues below and we have a title that could be compared to Halo 2 with no issues.

Game Announcements (Multikills, Sprees, etc.) Are Not Made In Theatre Clips
-When you create a clip from a full film, the announcer no longer is audible.

No File Browsing On Waypoint
-This makes downloading files for community-submitted video projects very difficult and exhausting. Furthermore, this is a feature that existed in previous games and has been removed without explanation.

Inability To Change Vote In Pregame Lobby
-This is another feature that has been removed without explanation.

Lack of Precision Forge Controls
-Reach's Forge controls allowed players to move objects slower and more precisely when holding in the Left Analog Stick. Additionally, players were able to zoom in on objects with the Right Stick to get a better handling of their precision movements. These controls have been removed without explanation.

"X" Waypoint for Dead Teammates No Longer Exists
-Another feature that has been removed without explanation.

Grifball "Ball Arm Time" Is Bugged
-Setting the Arm Time to any other setting than Instant does not actually change the Arm Time.

Geometry Holes on Ragnarok
-Holes have been found in the geometry of Ragnarok, most notably in the rock slabs to the left of the "beachside" base and on top of the bases.

Lack of Party Indicators In Matchmaking

Party Details Tell Significantly Less Details in Halo 4

Setting Ammo Count for Battery-Based Weapons Does Nothing
-Changing Ammo Count for batter-based weapons hasn't had an effect every since Forge was introduced in Halo 3. Surprising to see this bug make its way into another game.

Weapons De-spawning Too Quickly If Not An Ordnance Weapon
-Players have noticed that weapons are despawning at a ridiculously quick rate after they have been dropped in comparison to past Halo games. This makes drop-spawning weapons (which creates static weapon spawns) a very inefficient method to spawning weapons.

Games Beginning With No Players On Opposing Team
-Games will somtimes begin with no players on one of the teams. This usually occurs when an entire team backs out after a game or the game after a game has ended because the entire team quit out. This bug is costing players Double XP games.

Alphabetical Order For Active Rosters
-Really confussing right now when trying to join friends parties or see who's on, there's no reason why it shouldn't be in this order.

Are you serious? Map control is useless. Jetpack and rockets/sniper/railgun. Jetpacking away from and to combat. I'm seeing a lot of this in infinity slayer and dominion.
Map control is all but irrelevant in Halo 4. Jetpack is annoying (less annoying than Reach), but should be the least of anyone's worries.

Matchmaking is not working right, it seems to start 4v2 games all the time. Its boring for everyone, by the time you get two more people in, we're already so far ahead that the other side never has a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom