• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

I'm actually enjoying this slate of Spartan Ops missions, at least compared to the first week. It's hardly a compelling campaign, but it has potential. The dialogue is pretty bad though.
Is there any reason to complete Spartan Ops on legendary if you already completed the first episode on legendary? I have no interest in beating my head into a wall, but I'll continue through Spartan Ops on lesser difficulties if there is no lack of reward for doing so.

darthbob

I'm hoping we get more missions like Land Grab. Not so much for the vehicle play - because I'm not a fan of Halo 4's vehicles - but in how open and sandboxy the mission was. Too many of them have devolved into fighting through respawning waves of enemies (Land Grab is guilty of this as well), and I found it getting both predictable and tedious near the end of the second episode. Coupled with the total lack of challenge due to the spawning and life systems, I actually found it boring at times.

On that note...this is the first Halo game where I don't have a desire to go back and restart the campaign. I can't think of a single mission right now that I want to go back through. :(

I feel you regarding the campaign.

Reclaimer and Composer are my favorite missions, but they're not really all that...

Meh, Shutdown had potential, but it's just one of those generic, go here, do that, activate this switch, blah.

I keep trying to give CTF a shot, but they really need to fix this gametype. 5 captures to win? A KILL waypoint? A broken Join In Progress system? Starting games with uneven teams?

The Flagnum was the only solid addition to CTF. Throwing the OB changed that gametype drastically (for the better).. maybe they should bring back similar Flag physics to Halo 1/2.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The dudebro nature of the Spartans in Spops is the dumbest thing in the entire game alongside Sarah "shove it, Miller" "leave it to the eggheads" Palmer. What a travesty of a character - calling her two dimensional would be giving her credit.

The Spartan IV's make the frat-boy marines sound mature. Why couldn't they keep consistency with the calm, cool and collected Spartan IV's in the campaign?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I must be the only one who remembers starting games in previous games with uneven teams. Only in those games you were SOL because there was no JIP.

This thread is becoming unbearable with all the manbaby bitching, especially when the same shit keeps getting complained about with nothing more than "joined a game, we were losing JIP is broken WAAAAAA" kind of shit.

I wish some of you would just go to COD Blops 2 and leave this game to people who won't beat the same bullshit into the ground, have well thought out posts on how to fix the problems (not bullshit you're making up and have zero knowledge of game programming) and people who enjoy the game.

I'm seeing exactly the same people that in every new game thread (not just Halo) bitch about said new game and move on anyway, can we just speed that up? Seriously, please leave.

The dudebro nature of the Spartans in Spops is the dumbest thing in the entire game alongside Sarah "shove it, Miller" "leave it to the eggheads" Palmer. What a travesty of a character - calling her two dimensional would be giving her credit.

The Spartan IV's make the frat-boy marines sound mature. Why couldn't they keep consistency with the calm, cool and collected Spartan IV's in the campaign?

Yeah, you would think a group of soldiers who owe their entire existence to "science" would be a bit more respectful of scientists and intellect as a whole.

Not sure what's going on with that mess.

How dare they talk about Halo.

Oh hey, look, you missed the point. I'm fucking shocked.

orznge

Banned
I must be the only one who remembers starting games in previous games with uneven teams. Only in those games you were SOL because there was no JIP.

This thread is becoming unbearable with all the manbaby bitching, especially when the same shit keeps getting complained about with nothing more than "joined a game, we were losing JIP is broken WAAAAAA" kind of shit.

I wish some of you would just go to COD Blops 2 and leave this game to people who won't beat the same bullshit into the ground, have well thought out posts on how to fix the problems (not bullshit you're making up and have zero knowledge of game programming) and people who enjoy the game.

I'm seeing exactly the same people in that in every new game thread (not just Halo) bitch about said new game and move on anyway, can we just speed that up? Seriously, please leave.

How dare they talk about Halo.

orznge

Banned
Do you all not remember starting games in matchmaking with uneven teams, which happened way way way more often than teams becoming uneven from quitters in Halo 4?

def sim

Allowing uneven teams with the hope JIP fixes it for us is bunk. JIP in itself is not a bad thing, but they've introduced a new problem by being more lax with the start requirements.

I think the dudebro spartan IVs have some potential, as much as I hate them.
Maybe 343 is actually doing this on purpose to show the contrast between highly disciplined S-IIs such as the Chief (and to a lesser extent, the S-IIIs of Reach) who went through years of training, starting in their childhood, and the cheap knockoff S-IVs who are mass produced?

Probably giving them too much credit, they're just cranking out bad dialogue because they don't know how to do good dialogue

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sarah "fuck science" Palmer

she really doesn't like science
She's like the guy who hits the TV when he isn't getting a signal except she does it with Forerunner artifacts.
You entitled eggheads are over thinking Spartan Ops. Just get in there and OOOOO RAH.
Yeah, "Hey we wanna continue the story after Halo 4 with this sideshow that turns Halo into another generic space marine turd! We hope you enjoy Firefight lite with bad dialogue!"

But seriously, it can't be repeated enough: It's one thing to cater to the masses, it's another to dilute your product to the point of identity crisis. It's funny how they talked about how much canon mattered and they make Spartan Ops and there's this opportunity to do an interesting side story where you can get a unique perspective from the "new breed" and they just blow that opportunity. These dudebros are supposed to be career military vets and promising young soldiers not idiots who jump over cover and think they can take on everything that's surrounding them.

The thing is in their attempt to appeal to the masses they've just created another uninteresting and generic work. Shame all that CG gets wasted on that dialogue.

orznge

Banned

I'm seeing exactly the same people that in every new game thread (not just Halo) bitch about said new game and move on anyway, can we just speed that up? Seriously, please leave.

Yeah, you would think a group of soldiers who owe their entire existence to "science" would be a bit more respectful of scientists and intellect as a whole.

Not sure what's going on with that mess.

Oh hey, look, you missed the point. I'm fucking shocked.

I don't know dude I usually talk about Halo and talking about Halo is a lot more similar to talking about Halo than complaining about how people who discuss the game's design are ruining the game for you

def sim

Maybe 343 is actually doing this on purpose to show the contrast between highly disciplined S-IIs such as the Chief (and to a lesser extent, the S-IIIs of Reach) and the cheap knockoff S-IVs who are mass produced?

Probably giving them too much credit, they're just cranking out bad dialogue because they don't know how to do good dialogue

Haha

Planting the seeds because Halo 5 will be Spartan II's vs IV's, book it. That would actually be pretty great.

orznge

Banned
To all the haters who like some elements of the Halo series but take issue with others and like to discuss prospective solutions: fuck off, your type isn't wanted here.

Karl2177

So why did the Forerunner stuff suddenly get levitation? I was thinking through Halo CE, 2, and 3 and the Forerunner stuff never really levitated unless it was a hologram or something.

You entitled eggheads are over thinking Spartan Ops. Just get in there and OOOOO RAH.

I love the overuse of Egghead.
ibpkwqatK3eJOV.png

def sim

So why did the Forerunner stuff suddenly get levitation? I was thinking through Halo CE, 2, and 3 and the Forerunner stuff never really levitated unless it was a hologram or something.

I'm not a book reading pointdexter or anything, but a lot of the stuff added are probably just for superficial reason. Something like how the Forerunner structures have lighting now.

Basically, it's cool and doesn't really matter.

I keep getting this stupid bug while I'm in the middle of playing a game where it resets me back to SR1 and I can't use any of my custom classes.
When I reset the game it brings me back to my level, but the bug continues to occur.
Kinda sorta mildly annoying.

"It is going to generate water cooler moments like Lost or Game of Thrones."
So disappointing that it doesn't have enough plot/character development :(

Actually, there was a hovering platform on the Halo 3 multiplayer map Epitaph, if that counts.
And the forerunner gondolas on Delta Halo in Halo 2, right?

Been asking this, I'm guessing it was to have some mass market appeal to the service?
They know we're hooked by default but want higher player counts than we can offer?
Terrible reasoning.

I'm seeing exactly the same people in that in every new game thread (not just Halo) bitch about said new game and move on anyway, can we just speed that up? Seriously, please leave.
You make yourself just as silly as anyone you're complaining about with posts like this.

Sentinals, 343 GS?

J10

Banned
Maybe 343 is actually doing this on purpose to show the contrast between highly disciplined S-IIs such as the Chief (and to a lesser extent, the S-IIIs of Reach) who went through years of training, starting in their childhood, and the cheap knockoff S-IVs who are mass produced?

Meta level lowest common denominator pandering. Here's an analogy: Spartan IV's are to Spartan II's as 343 Industries is to Bungie. Can't wait until they kill the Chief off so I can stop giving a shit all together.

IHaveIce

Banned

I could say the same about your postings, put "these guys" on ignore and move on.
About uneven teams,I jsut had the situation that we were 6 players in a lobby, the system süplits the team in 2 and 4 instead of 3vs 3, and no I don't remember that kind of thing happening in other Halo games.

And great solution there, of course people who complain about Halo 4 will definately going to love Blops 2.

I hate it when people do this, but I'm going to succumb to temptation here and be a bit indulgent. Infinity Slayer/ BTB Inifinity slayer really feels like they developed two game-modes to cater to the brain dead morons. The entire design is set around just kind of throwing yourself into the fray, balance be damned. Instant respawn, personal ordinance, and random ordinance drops make the whole thing just a mess. It takes inspiration from the COD's of the world, in all the ways that I dislike.

Going into CTF, Dominion, and KoTH is another, more civilized world. They aren't perfect mind you, but this is the absolute best version of objective play in any Halo. Domion on Exile and CTF on adrift feel like going back to 2vs 2 longest CTF, 1 flag zanzibar, or 2 flag midship. Really great, thoughtfully designed stuff.

Do they have problems? Sure, no flag drop is annoying, Dominion weapon spawning can be a bit unbalanced, and KoTH still has instant respawns. Weapon spawns in general are too random. But beyond all of that, in objective gametypes, the core tensions of halo are there, the push pull on different areas, the mad rush, followed by the key flank, even with the issues it's great stuff. JIP ends up smoothing over some of the previous games rough patches here too. The implementation isn't perfect, and I still kind of pine for a "Hardcore" playlist with a ranking system, but for now, I'll take being able to have games with even teams.

When I first started, I thought I didn't like Halo 4 multiplayer, turns out I just don't like infinity slayer.

orznge

Banned

Suck it down, egghead. Adapt.

DeadNames

Banned

You can stop now.

Not for a while I'd say, especially with a spoiler thread. Game hasn't even been out for 2 weeks. There are a few still going through it I think.

Maybe a month after release?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You make yourself just as silly as anyone you're complaining about with posts like this.

I realized that when I did it, to be honest though, I really didn't care. Shit's gotten to epic levels of stupid.

I apologize to the good posters for my rant though. I've just added the people I have an issue with to ignore to remedy the issue.

When can we talk about campaign without spoiler tagging?

There's a spoiler thread bud.

I hate it when people do this, but I'm going to succumb to temptation here and be a bit indulgent. Infinity Slayer/ BTB Inifinity slayer really feels like they developed two game-modes to cater to the brain dead morons. The entire design is set around just kind of throwing yourself into the fray, balance be damned. Instant respawn, personal ordinance, and random ordinance drops make the whole thing just a mess. It takes inspiration from the COD's of the world, in all the ways that I dislike.

Going into CTF, Dominion, and KoTH is another, more civilized world. They aren't perfect mind you, but this is the absolute best version of objective play in any Halo. Domion on Exile and CTF on adrift feel like going back to 2vs 2 longest CTF, 1 flag zanzibar, or 2 flag midship. Really great, thoughtfully designed stuff.

Do they have problems? Sure, no flag drop is annoying, Dominion weapon spawning can be a bit unbalanced, and KoTH still has instant respawns. Weapon spawns in general are too random. But beyond all of that, in objective gametypes, the core tensions of halo are there, the push pull on different areas, the mad rush, followed by the key flank, even with the issues it's great stuff. JIP ends up smoothing over some of the previous games rough patches here too. The implementation isn't perfect, and I still kind of pine for a "Hardcore" playlist with a ranking system, but for now, I'll take being able to have games with even teams.

When I first started, I thought I didn't like Halo 4 multiplayer, turns out I just don't like infinity slayer.

Haven't seen you in a while, and yeah IS seems like a love it or hate it kind of thing, especially with the older fans. A lot of people have said the same thing you're saying now that the OBJ style games and pro are a "better fit" at the moment.

Karl2177

Because scifi

Seems like just fi to me. There's so much of the stuff now that is taking away from the sort of grounded scifi that I loved about Halo.

I'm going to have a ton of time this week to write out some of my thoughts on Halo 4 as a package, and how I feel the series needs to move into the future.

Campaign spoiler:
Spartan 4's where pretty underwhelming in the campaign, I still have high hopes they can make a segment in a future halo campaign where you fight alongside other Spartans and it feels really good.]

They would probably have to make it really scripted to make them seem like they are doing awesome things though. :(

Sai-kun

Banned

you're almost as hilarious as him! good job buddy

I'm still getting XP towards SR70 but my player card is reset and says I'm SR1, and I can't use any of my custom loadouts.
This is so weird.

Top Bottom