• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

GhaleonEB

Campaign spoiler:
Spartan 4's where pretty underwhelming in the campaign, I still have high hopes they can make a segment in a future halo campaign where you fight alongside other Spartans and it feels really good.]

They would probably have to make it really scripted to make them seem like they are doing awesome things though. :(

The problem with playing alongside other Spartans is it's unlikely they will make the AI adaptive enough to respond to the way I want to play. Guys that ruin my sniping approach or attempts at sneaking up on guys have been a problem in every nearly every Halo game, especially the last few. As a result I generally want to play solo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's most perplexing is why people keep comparing Firefight to Spartan Ops, like they share more than campaign enemy spawns in design.

Karl2177

The problem with playing alongside other Spartans is it's unlikely they will make the AI adaptive enough to respond to the way I want to play. Guys that ruin my sniping approach or attempts at sneaking up on guys have been a problem in every nearly every Halo game, especially the last few.

Be like Star Wars Battlefront and assign AI actions to the D-Pad. Up to follow you, Down to scatter, Right to move to a position, and Left to hold position.

What's most perplexing is why people keep comparing Firefight to Spartan Ops, like they share more than campaign enemy spawns in design.
David Ellis, designer of Spartan Ops at 343 Industries, said in a pre-release podcast that, “If you were a fan of Firefight traditionally, whether it was ODST or Reach, you should love Spartan Ops. We think this is the mode you’ve been asking for, just by playing and participating, you’ve been asking for this mode whether you realize it or not.”

GhaleonEB

Be like Star Wars Battlefront and assign AI actions to the D-Pad. Up to follow you, Down to scatter, Right to move to a position, and Left to hold position.

I'd be okay with that. I'd end up just telling them to stay put at the start of each mission and moving on. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For the most part, they think you'll enjoy it if you enjoyed Firefight, which pretty much is chalked up to the one similarity I mentioned. He still implies they're designed to be very different, and they are. No implications of a replacement that people keep pegging it as (including reviewers).

orznge

Banned
you're almost as hilarious as him! good job buddy

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but it is pretty disingenuous to insinuate that no one here has ever posted "thought out posts on how to fix the problems" considering that there have been dozens (hundreds?) of ideas over the course of each Halo OT that are reasonable from both technical and design perspectives

For the most part, they think you'll enjoy it if you enjoyed Firefight, which pretty much is chalked up to the one similarity I mentioned. He still implies they're designed to be very different, and they are. No implications of a replacement that people keep pegging it as (including reviewers).
They've added a cooperative game mode where you fight AI enemies and removed a cooperative game mode where you fight AI enemies.

You can see where people would compare them, at the very least in terms of enjoyment, i.e. I think if people were enjoying Sp Ops more, they wouldn't be making that comparison as much.

nope

anyone want to finish campaign with me? I just got to the part where Cortana freaks out and Chief takes her away and stonewalls the old dude who wants to delete her off the usb stick
I would, but I just finished it last night on coop, don't feel like going through it again.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
By getting rid of Armor Abilities.

I'd be ok with this.

This is something Dax is pretty correct about. They don't really add or subtract anything. They aren't needed in the game at all. 343 has done a good job making sure none of them were OP, but some are annoying as hell (Jetpack and regenfield).

Sprint though, I'm happy sprint is in.

nope

anyone want to finish campaign with me? I just got to the part where Cortana freaks out and Chief takes her away and stonewalls the old dude who wants to delete her off the usb stick

Yep, let me know I'm home for the rest of the day.

Sprint RB, grenade switch X, commands D-Pad. My mind just came.

Back the fuck up off my bumper jumper foo!

Noricart

Well, in the sense of fighting wave after wave of enemies, yes, Spartan Ops is reminiscent of Firefight, but at least firefight had some variety.
In ODST you would be going through waves with alternating skulls, forcing you to change the way you fight.
Reach let you customize the same aspects you could in custom games, and even change the way the AI acts, while also adding classes.
While I know that Spartan Ops is supposed to feel like an extension of campaign, it feels too much like it, with copy-pasted locations (some of which use the same objectives from campaign; e.x destroy x of generators.) Not only that it is completely monotonous. Go five feet, press a button, fight, radio chatter, fight, press button, end mission. So far there are no two missions that are entirely different. None of which even touch the variety found in Modern Warfare's spec-ops mode, or even Resistance 2's Co-Op.
One thing that is commendable is carrying over MP classes to SpOps. It would be nice to have a different set (or more!) weapons and abilities in SpOps.
Also, why only 5 loadouts? And I have to share them between two modes?

Can they get rid of AA now? It is now apart of Halo. I actually have no problem with AA just their implementation of them.

For instance HLS should not be in any slayer gametype. It is not a ground breaking AA, but for some maps the way it has been used has been upsetting.

orznge

Banned
AA is a part of Halo and has been for the last two games. Maybe if someone has a problem with AA they could play a different game; for example, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 which was recently released. Alternatively, if they're so smart, they could develop their own first person shooter.

Karl2177

AA is a part of Halo and has been for the last two games. Maybe if someone has a problem with AA they could play a different game; for example, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 which was recently released. Alternatively, if they're so smart, they could develop their own first person shooter.

I like you. I like you the same way I like sticking my head in the oven.

Team Snipers is a week only playlist. Well fuck. Ive been absolutely positive about this game the whole way through but this is fucking bullshit.

Since halo 2 ive enjoyed snipers even moreso than slayer etc and its gone after a week??

Snipers never struggled for population in any of the games. Fucking hell 343 its a mainstay playlist. Put it the fuck in and leave it there already.

Watch it get replaced by some dumbfuck game like rocket race or some other shit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Team Snipers is a week only playlist. Well fuck. Ive been absolutely positive about this game the whole way through but this is fucking bullshit.

Since halo 2 ive enjoyed snipers even moreso than slayer etc and its gone after a week??

Snipers never struggled for population in any of the games. Fucking hell 343 its a mainstay playlist. Put it the fuck in and leave it there already.

Watch it get replaced by some dumbfuck game like rocket race or some other shit.

The idea is to rotate these playlists so they don't detract from the main playlists, at least, that's what I think the mentality/reasoning is.

Can't say I disagree with it. When SWAT came in the top playlists took a hit.

Ken

The dudebro nature of the Spartans in Spops is the dumbest thing in the entire game alongside Sarah "shove it, Miller" "leave it to the eggheads" Palmer. What a travesty of a character - calling her two dimensional would be giving her credit.

The Spartan IV's make the frat-boy marines sound mature. Why couldn't they keep consistency with the calm, cool and collected Spartan IV's in the campaign?

Isn't it just Majestic that are the dudebros? Aside from them, Castle sounds normal and not dudebroish from the few lines they had in Ep1Ch5.

Maybe they think dudebros make more interest characters (lol) than if you just had a team of calm, cool, and collected SIVs. Maybe you the player, as the faceless and voiceless Crimson, are the calm and cool Spartan IVs.

Ramirez

It's not funny when you over do it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm surprised at the way playlists are coming and going. I figured things like SWAT and Team Snipers would have been mainstays, and things like Flood and Action Sack would be on rotation.

I don't really find it bad, just different.

The likes of Swat and Snipers are main playlists though? Id understand doing this later in the games life cylce but now with the populations so high it ridiculous to remove them after a week.

While im bitching gimme my Beam Rifle secondary too

Has anyone figured out how to tell what medals are being shown in the medal distribution chart for each player in a single game? As far as I can see, it doesn't tell you. On waypoint that is...

Ryaaan14

Banned
Just do what the cool kids do and announce to everyone that you're putting them on ignore.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What in my post was about liking the game as opposed to squashing discussion of the game's design on the grounds that "it's ruining the game for me."

Reading comprehension really isn't your strong suit.

Ignore Button is for the weak. Seriously though, it's the internet...

You're weak.

Has anyone figured out how to tell what medals are being shown in the medal distribution chart for each player in a single game? As far as I can see, it doesn't tell you.

You can slide down them, but no, I've not seen a per match basis for them yet.

Edit: found it, click on matchmaking stats and history, then pick the match and scroll all the way down.

orznge

Banned
Listen guy who twists words and only posts weird, sarcastic parodies of people that he disagrees with: I think your reading comprehension might not be so good.

DeadNames

Banned

Listen guy who twists words and only posts weird, sarcastic parodies of people that he disagrees with: I think your reading comprehension might not be so good.

Tone it down... It's getting to be a bit much.

Anyways when are we getting forge maps in MM? I think what they should do is take two forge maps from each environment and incorporate them into respective playlists.

Top Bottom